Explaining the crafting system - goals and features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explaining the crafting system - goals and features

Greetings folks, and welcome to Eternium update 1.3.25 and the revamp of the crafting system. I will try to explain the main features of this new system in this post, and do my best to explain the design intention behind it.

Goals of the crafting system revamp
    • No Time gating. We wanted that as soon as an investment is being made through the crafting system, the result should be instantly available. Thus, the crafting system contains no time gated procedure.
    • The ability to produce true end game items: It is our understanding that a player would use an in-game system as long as they can expect positive yield - in this case, the advancement of their player character. We wanted a crafting system that would remain relevant for low level players and high level players alike, regardless of the stage in the game they are currently at, and this means allowing for the ability to craft set as well as named items, and more.
    • Player agency: while we do believe that there is a certain charm in a moderate amount of randomness, having several layers of RNG added on top of other RNG might become annoying. Thus, the ability to decide the type of stats the end product of crafting would have was deemed crucial to the process.
    • The chance to grow your ability as a crafter: we believe a crucial part of a RPG is the constant evolution and improvement of the character. This does not have to be limited to combat ability (increased through levels, equipment and champion levels), but also to the ability to become a better and more efficient crafter.
    • The relevance of the gold currency: while the gems currency is under far tighter control, as it is related to the real money that players that wish to support us spend in the game, gold is being given with far greater largesse. However, not many avenues to spend it existed. The revamped crafting system attempts to remedy this problem by allowing for powerful items to be created, but with a high gold price tag.
    • The revamped crafting system entices the player to consider and juggle with several types of materials that have multiple uses, prompting a certain amount of decision making.

Features of the revamped crafting system
    • The discovery system: A new player that is first put in front of the crafting system will see that they have the ability to produce uncommon items for any slot and any class in the game. However, as uncommon quality items are produced, the ability to produce a rare item of that type may be discovered. When producing a rare item, the ability to produce an epic item will be made available, and when producing an epic item, the player can learn how to craft a legendary. Obviously, producing items of higher level comes hand in hand with a larger gain of crafting experience, as well as with a much better chance of making such a discovery.
    • Recipes for special items: While we do want players to be able to craft set and special items, we do not want this part of the crafting system to be available straight off the bat, as it would invalidate the need both for regular items acquired through the crafting system, as well as through other in-game means, such as drops from monsters and bosses. We also didn’t want to lock the crafting of high quality items behind a paywall, and for this reason one recipe can be purchased with gold during each cycle of availability. This recipe is selected at random, and once a recipe is already learned, it will no longer appear as part of the cycling recipes at the recipe vendor. Given enough time, the player will learn how to create any item in the game, while less patient players can speed up this process, as with everything else, by spending gems, either to purchase more than one recipe every cycle, or to refresh those on offer (or both).

Crafting set and named items will have a significantly higher cost than crafting regular items of the same item quality (uncommon, rare, epic or legendary), as well as require more advanced ingredients, such as Mark of Titans and advanced cloth, leather or metal.
    • The essences system: every stat is tied to a certain essence type, both when crafting an item with that particular stat, as well as when salvaging. There are five essence types: Earth, Fire, Water, Air and Shadow. Below, I will outline which stat belongs to which essence group:
    • Earth: Armor, Vitality, Block Rating and Extra Gold;
    • Fire: Experience, Critical Damage and Parry Rating;
    • Water: Life Regeneration, Life on Hit and Dodge Rating;
    • Air: Haste, Critical Rating and Movement Speed;
    • Shadow: Ability Rating, Power and Damage Reflected.

This system works as follows: when an item is salvaged, and that item has e.g. Vitality, it will always provide a certain quantity of Earth essences, be they lesser, regular or greater. When selecting a stat to craft an item, it will always cost a certain quantity of the same type of essence, which in the case of Vitality would be Earth.

This allowed us to retain the property of the old crafting system that made every item a potential resource, as well as to expand on it and pursue the other goals I have outlined.
    • Other materials: the principle that regulates other materials than essences is really simple. Each armor type (light armor, medium armor and heavy armor) requires a certain basic material (bolt of silk cloth, cured leather and respectively, iron bar). Special and set items require advanced materials, such as Nightcloth, Enchanted Leather or Mithril. In addition, advanced items also require Silver Ornaments and crucially, Marks of Titans. Silver Ornaments are produced out of Silver, a fairly common drop from monsters, but Silver is also extensively used to produce Silver Dust for the Enchanting profession. Marks of Titans are extremely rare materials, that can only be obtained from certain chests, dropped sometimes by bosses and very rarely by elite monsters, or salvaged from other set or special items.
    • The enchanting profession: While the newly gained ability to create set and named items would have been a step up for end game players, we did not consider that sufficient. Therefor, we also added the enchanting profession, that allows for the addition of extra properties to certain slots, as well as a (very, very expensive) item that can be used to maximize any other item’s stats to the point of perfection. The enchanting profession will be expanded in future updates with more options, that will hopefully play towards the strengths of different ways of building your hero. The products of the Enchanting profession are not intended to replace the need for better items, but simply to give the most committed players that little extra edge to push their limits even further than previously possible.
    • The crafting inventory: A lot of new items, both basic and composite, made their way in the game with the revamped crafting system. Allowing these new materials in the existing inventory would have created clutter, so a new crafting exclusive inventory comes attached with this update. This inventory can only contain materials used exclusively in the crafting system.

In addition to these main features, building the revamped crafting system spilled over into a few other areas we neglected:
    • Chests: With gold becoming a valuable resource through the crafting system, we established that a new player would have trouble keeping up. At the same time, chests of all types (locked and unlocked) were not seen by players as an exciting thing to discover and open. As such, we increased the amount of gold contained in all types of chests and allowed these to have a chance to contain crafting materials. Locked chests contents have also been changed, and the preview window for locked chests now displays exactly what is within. Effectively, locked chests are now a random assortment of items, gold and crafting materials that can be gained at a discount.
    • The Extra Gold stat now scales the value of gold contained within chests of all types.

very good update... thanks...
    GEPU GANA HEPO 9200
    --------------------------------------
    See my endgame heroes build...
    Boss skills info and how to fight boss... (VIDEOS)
    New crafting system video and how to use it... (TUTORIAL)
    How to optimize your Champion Points... (TUTORIAL)
    How to make jewelry video... (TUTORIAL)
    My YouTube Eternium channel...

Comment

Thanks Red, great write up.

Good to know that the recipe you can buy for gold is random, but once that recipe is learned, it will no longer appear in the cycling of recipes.

Comment

Sounds really amazing- magical news! Оne step closer to Diablo and WoW spirit!Keep up the good job, guys, and thanks for sharing with us.
        ANB /bronze/ 31th.warrior/trial 98
        / silver / 37th. warrior/trial 98
        mobile
        VAMA CODI HEFE 5256

Comment

Nice work devs!

Comment

Thank you Devs we are grateful for your hard work and dedication!

Comment

Well-written, thanks.
              Dyoma Crown
              Dyoma Crown Total: 346

Mage: 118
              Warrior (DW): 115
              BH: 113

Warrior (SW): 112

Comment

Very nicely designed, implemented, and a good write up. v26 was issued rapidly, fixing several key issues. I am impressed.

I do have questions about i.c.d.s, as it seems there are some hidden & restrictive limits. I understand that some things need to stay hidden. And are more fun that way. Mysteries of life. But, if there is a hidden limit that reduces an advertised and paid-for benefit, it should be disclosed, IMHO.
                VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Sounds wonderful. When will the update propagate to Amazon devices?

Still sounds wonderful and after perusing the other two topics, realize it's closed beta currently, open beta to follow, then I assume, release. Can you post the intended release schedule? Not trying to harsh the good work being done by the Dev team, I'm looking forward to these updates, a little disappointed after realizing it's pre-open beta currently and I'll have to wait.

Maybe add 'future update' or 'upcoming feature in release ...' to the current threads.

Thanks

Last edited by NoSuchReality; 12-18-2018, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Nice writeup. I think the care and design detail shows and you've accomplished those goals you stated. Thank you.
                    CL 2K+
                    Mage- Ladim(#9 Live LB), Proxima(XP)
                    TL119 in 9:14 on mobile (iphone8)

Mage Guide

Comment

Thanks devs for this update to the game's crafting system. Something new to look forward to.
                      YOCU REGO JASE 0953
                      Sanctum

Ranked 17 on Active LB [Trial 119] CL2030
                      Ranked 10 in ANB 4
                      Ranked 13 in ANB 5 Bronze

Comment

Thanks for the details. That clears a lot of doubts although I have one thing bugging me. When I try to create Silver Dust, I tells me I don't have enough gold (500 ) which I definitely have (screenshot attached).

Also there doesn't seem to be any direct way of getting silver dust (monster drops/chests/buy from vendor OR even directly from crafting menu). I was crafting something (or may be trying enchantment) and went from one craft icon to another to some other and finally reached silver dust crafting area. Is it supposed to be like that? It was a bit confusing but may be I'll get used to it soon.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ShotDead View Post
                          Thanks for the details. That clears a lot of doubts although I have one thing bugging me. When I try to create Silver Dust, I tells me I don't have enough gold (500 ) which I definitely have (screenshot attached).

Also there doesn't seem to be any direct way of getting silver dust (monster drops/chests/buy from vendor OR even directly from crafting menu). I was crafting something (or may be trying enchantment) and went from one craft icon to another to some other and finally reached silver dust crafting area. Is it supposed to be like that? It was a bit confusing but may be I'll get used to it soon.
                          From Discord conversation, the gold required for the original, and all those in-between before you finally got to Silver Dust, are reserved from your actual total. Which is why you no longer have enough at the very "end" of the crafting chain. Can be a bit confusing I suppose, but it basically means you do not have enough Gold to make the 30 Silver Dust AND what ever else needed AND craft the initial item you selected.
                          Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 10 Aug 2018)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post

From Discord conversation, the gold required for the original, and all those in-between before you finally got to Silver Dust, are reserved from your actual total. Which is why you no longer have enough at the very "end" of the crafting chain. Can be a bit confusing I suppose, but it basically means you do not have enough Gold to make the 30 Silver Dust AND what ever else needed AND craft the initial item you selected.
                            That is a lot of "ANDs" I would prefer to create 30 Silver dusts AND see what else I need for the rest of recipe.

Comment

How works Celestial orb?
                              add 1 stat,that a can choice to any item?
                              And then i receive celestial item,am i right?
                              and could i use this item for ring or necklace?
                              Or only for gloves,pants and other?
                              Last edited by Astars; 12-18-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X