X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kristoff
    commented on 's reply
    1. For the leaderboard rankings using only rare gear during the last silver ANB, some of the top players participated in the "Smurf Challenge." This meant that they had to limit themselves to rare (blue) gear only. Romme was showing you the results of that challenge, and if someone can reach those high TLs with so many missing stats, it does show that ability and experience count for more than the medals, because they basically more than negated the medal advantage.

2. The guides I used were mainly for warrior, but even those are outdated now. However, if you read the old guides and then look at the leaderboards, it isn't hard to figure out what works. Yes, the stalker meta has been surpassed, so you just go with the current meta of 4 Havoc 2 Demo (make sure you use Havoc gloves and hood because those two pieces have extra bonuses). Torch and Firebug for guns, Heatseeker BoM if you really want to use one, Molten Belt and so on. For gold and XP farming, you just decide which stats you prefer to drop in favor of gold and XP depending on how you like to grind. The same with enchants and stats. Look at what the top players use and decide what works for you.

3. This forum has a video section that is easy to find:

https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...ameplay-videos

You can also go to Youtube and just search for "Eternium," which will pull up a ton of videos by Romme, bojck and others.

4. The basic play for BH can be summed up by something that I was taught in the Air Force: Speed is life. You have to keep moving to avoid getting hit because you can't tank like a warrior, although when you reach the really high TLs, even the best BH players have to accept dying as a fact of life. You can still kill the boss in time, though, if you pump in enough sticky bomb attacks and such before you kick the bucket, because (please correct me if I'm wrong UmbraDei LodWig Hegemony ) I think that stuff carries through even after you resurrect.

5. Learn the boss attack patterns. Watching the videos helped, but what really made me learn was doing the actual boss fights. Figure out the best spots to spawn Garm so his damage and healing circles overlap. Get a feel for the ranges and timing of their attacks so you can stay just out of range and then immediately jump in with a counterattack.

6. Players like UmbraDei even have suggestions on further refining attack techniques to maximize the effect of buffs and debuffs. I've seen them here and in the Eternium Reddit sub. Doing a combined search for "UmbraDei" and "Eternium" will probably bring them up.

Above all, have fun! This is a game. If you're not having fun, then you're probably doing something wrong.

Good luck!

• Romme
    commented on 's reply
    The screenshots were from the last anb.

The point is that 11 peices of gear have just 2 stats...
    just to make things simple let's say the average attribute gives you +100, easily more with some higher level gear... but that's 2200 missing stats. You aren't losing out anywhere close to that by not have medals.

If players at this severe of a handicap can still rank high it goes to show game experience goes much further than having a bunch of medals.

• Splendor
    commented on 's reply
    The fastest way to get to 70 is actually to buy a 200% exp booster and craft exp gear immediately after the first map, recraft it every 10 levels or so, and hit trials as soon as you hit lvl 10, doing as few story maps as possible. If you can do trials fast enough (30-60 sec) getting to 70 in under 15 minutes isn't very difficult. A useful trick you can also use is to do daily quests on your main toon(s) and turn them in with your anb toon for extra exp and gold without using any time on your timer (but this trick isn't necessary for getting to 70 fast, it just helps).
    I'm not sure how up to date some of the posts on the forum are regarding anb but lots of good info is available on discord and players are always available to answer questions.
    As far as the screenshots from Romme, you'll notice that both the characters in the screenshots are wearing blue (2-stat rare) gear and those screenshots are from the previous anb silver leaderboard.

• Apoc
    replied
    Ok, and thank you all for your feedback. I now understand that I must be doing something wrong, but not sure exactly what. I mean, in the past couple of ANBs, I've managed to get into top 250, but it doesn't feel like I'm pushing right, somehow.

Splendor Let's start with the 1-70 'speed' bit, which let's just say takes me much more than 10-15 min. I'm doing what it says in the forums to do for ANB events, running through Act I as fast as possible, to get the stock companions (usually about level 20 by then, I think), and then running trials as quickly as possible to get to 70. So, is there a guide you know of or could point (i.e. link) me to, that shows how to do this more quickly? I've been navigating the forums for days and not found anything current or more useful, yet.

Kristoff where do I find the guides you mentioned? I read through an outdated BH guide from UmbraDei, but that was from before the last patch which buffed Havoc/Demo set combo. Any actual links would be most appreciated.

Romme I'm not sure I see your point from the screen captures you've shared. I look at the BH leaderboard for the current ANB Gold, and the top 50 all have legendary gear in all slots, not rare gear like you've showed. I'm still not convinced that it's a minimal impact by this.

I've managed to push a Trial 139 by end of last season, but that's still a far cry from what some of these guys seem to do in a single ANB.

Leave a comment:

• Romme
    replied
    Apoc I can guarantee that all the stats missing in the gear below greatly outweighs the stats you dont have from medals. These arent cts, it's rare gear (2 stats).

The truth is medals don't really impact your push potential. Maybe 1-2TL if anything, like UmbraDei mentioned above.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Kristoff
    commented on 's reply
    Apologies for my unsolicited two cents, but I just wanted to share my own experiences playing this game.

I've been a casual, off-again on-again player for many years. Until several months ago, I had no medals and maybe just a few hundred CLs. Then I participated in an ANB on a whim and got my butt handed to me.

So I studied guides by top players like Romme and bojck , watched their videos, got advice from Romme, bojck , UmbraDei , Ozymandius , Nhat , Kardinaal , Heikki Gross , Arawn , Grand_Wazoo , TheExorcist and so many others (forgive me if I forgot to mention anyone). I also went through many of LodWig 's helpful tables and charts.

I managed to reach the leaderboards in my next ANB. Now, I can usually make it to the top 250 if I plan properly and make the most of my limited schedule. Sometimes I reach the top 100, and the last ANB gold before this one, my final rank was 51.

Most of this was achieved with the right class selection, and preparation. To beat more powerful foes, Batman needs to do his homework, and so do you if you want to rank in an ANB.

I'm at least two to three decades older than most players here, and I only use a mobile device, so I already have two big disadvantages. I've chosen warrior to make up for my slower reflexes and the reduced damage and ability execution time on my device (clicking keys is faster than drawing signs). I don't need to dodge hits the way BHs and mages do, plus mages get a big benefit from PCs because there, they can vortex and frostbeam at the same time.

My accomplishments come from a lot of learning and effort, and I'm far from being a top, or even good player. Strip away all the medals, and I can pretty much guarantee that people like Splendor , Hegemony , and most of the other players I've mentioned above will probably still rank much higher than either you or I because they put much more time and effort into the game, or their abilities are just that good.

But don't lose hope. Do what I did and see what happens. It was amazing how much higher I was able to climb after watching some of Romme's videos and altering my playing style accordingly, and I still learn so much every time I play and interact with this great community of people.

• Splendor
    commented on 's reply
    Medals have some impact at the start of anb but honestly, even with 0 medals it's possible to level to 70 in 10-15 minutes, at which point any bonus from medals has already become almost negligible and the most important factors are skill and knowledge of how to farm efficiently, most efficiently use your resources/time etc.
    I started playing a little over a year ago and it didn't take long before I could consistently finish top 25 or better in anb and top 50 in season. So I would argue that it is very possible to start from scratch in this game and still be able to compete with veteran players.
    Again, skill and knowledge are the 2 most important factors, medals do give a small advantage at the beginning of anb but that small advantage is not what is preventing other players from also earning medals.
    I suggest you try to learn more about the game and how to improve your own gameplay before assuming that the only reason you're not having success is because of lack of medals. Try joining Discord and learning from veteran players there or simply read many of the useful guides and posts here on this forum.
    I would be willing to bet that if all players started anb with 0 medals the standings would look almost identical, and that again, is coming from a player who started with 0 medals not that long ago and still managed to compete with veterans with far more medals.

• Apoc
    commented on 's reply
    You say that medals don't have a big impact, but I would argue that they most certainly do, diminishing returns for the highest level trial or not. Here's why:

Top position on my ANB Gold leaderboard, Abin, completed Trial level 180 in 9:10, has the following (187 total medals):
    Fortitude level 33 for +474 armor
    Glory level 23 for +96 power
    Heroism level 32 for +57 crit rating and +46.5% crit damage
    Knowledge level 33 for +47% experience and extra gold
    Tenacity level 33 for +116 vitality
    Vigor level 33 for +58 haste and +232 life on hit

Tenth position, Koreaerok, completed Trial level 164 in 8:58, has the following (147 total medals):
    Fortitude level 39 for +536 armor
    Glory level 3 for +35 power
    Heroism level 9 for +33 crit rating and +27.8% crit damage
    Knowledge level 25 for +39% experience and extra gold
    Tenacity level 42 for +134 vitality
    Vigor level 29 for +54 haste and +216 life on hit

My character starts off with:
    Fortitude level 5 for +135 armor
    Glory level 0 for +0 power
    Heroism level 0 for +0 crit rating and +0% crit damage
    Knowledge level 0 for +0% experience and extra gold
    Tenacity level 2 for +30 vitality
    Vigor level 0 for +0 haste and +0 life on hit

Maybe that means very little for the highest trial level, just as you say, but that's not all there is to this. Consider the time saved getting to max level and then running speed trials to farm crafting mats, experience and gold. If you factor all of that in, especially starting out, I would argue that it is, in fact, a very big difference, and given that, it also affects how high a person can push in a timed event such as an ANB. Don't just think endgame pushing only. It's the entire process that's impacted.

Also, what do you mean by a full stack of medals? I don't see how they stop, given the examples I've shown. And I can't really choose a lower league, because it's based on the highest Trial I've cleared, so I don't control that.
    Last edited by Apoc; 02-11-2022, 02:39 PM.

• UmbraDei
    commented on 's reply
    1) Medals don't have that big of an impact. 1 or maybe 2 TLs at the most during an ANB. The other 10-20 TLs come simply from people being better at the game.

2) The first medals have the biggest impact, there's huge diminishing returns. Once you have 2 of them you're already covering almost a third or a quarter of the bonus that a full stack gives.

3) if you want to compete against players with lower counts, stay in Veteran league below TL119?

• Apoc
    replied
    After a few ANBs, now, seeing literally the same result time and again, I have to admit to being perhaps more than a bit frustrated. I'm in the highest bracket for each event/season, even though I've only earned a couple of medals. When I look at the leaderboards, I see guys with stacks of each and every medal, but I have no way of competing for those, or achieving the same results, because it gives a huge head start especially at the very start, when even small stats mean a lot. I know, some guys have worked for quite some time to earn these, and should be able to use them, but how can someone who doesn't have them even dream to compete with that? I recommend a slightly different approach... If someone has 5, 10, or 30 of each, don't make me have to try to beat that. if I only have 2 or 3. I don't mind competing with someone with the same number of medals, but it's simply not fair to expect me to match or even come close to someone with stacks and stacks of all 6. Leaderboards should account for this somehow, by comparing me with gamers who've made similar progress, not those who've played since the game's inception.

Leave a comment:

• ricklhall
    replied
    As a newer and more casual player, I do not appreciate many of the intrecacies discussed here.
    IF I am not totally too late to this party:
    • I like the idea that everyone starts with a clean slate with NOTHING carried from one's main including none of the "save the daily thing" that I read somewhere.
    • Open all the recipes for everything.
    • Lock all the TLs for everyone with no way to unlock anything except by effort (or unlock them all??).
    • I also like the idea of a carrot or two more for us more casual/less intense players.

Leave a comment:

• ricklhall
    commented on 's reply
    I am so with you, Warrior Seven My occasional PC play is on an old desktop that cannot be upgraded to Win11 I play on my IPad while watching TV. I have three heroes level 70 and just finished TL60, lol. Took me about five weeks to get all the recipes. Still upgrading Abilities.

• WarriorSeven
    commented on 's reply
    Lost cause for the average player then. I'm certainly not upgrading a phone or PC just to play this game.

• jay clarke
    replied
    Warrior seven
    I'm sorry but you are way off the beam!
    I changed my phone and bought one solely for its graphic processor, and went up 10 CLS instantly. Hardware is key,and PC beat mobile solidly. That's the difference between top 250 or 100 .

Leave a comment:

• WarriorSeven
    commented on 's reply
    I stand by my comment as an average player. There's hardly any difference in my overall gameplay on either platform. Fractions of a second difference in gameplay execution does not, to me, warrant the additional complexity this split will introduce.
Working...
X