This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrian (Developer) View Post
    Should PC players be allowed to also play levels on their mobile devices (without being able to submit score to the mobile leader-boards)?
    Yes, absolutely essential.
    Please do not lock me out of using my iPad to play some levels during ANB

Although Eternium has many fine qualities it has become my recent fixation precisely because I often lose use of my laptop. Where I am my power and internet are both highly unreliable. As my laptop has no battery life capacity (old battery) the minute the power cuts out I must switch to my iPad. I then plug it into a large external battery. I actually got seriously hooked on Eternium during a 3 day power outage. [That was an unusual one - normally its minutes on, minutes off multiple times day. Wonderful for corrupting external drives BTW!!!]

So, the ability to use BOTH Laptop and iPad depending on the vagaries of the local municipality and weather = Crucial.

Put me in the PC Leader-board by all means but don't lock me out of using the iPad, when left sitting in the dark, I beg of you ;-)

Comment

So just use your iPad and no laptop

Comment

• Teebs
        Teebs commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the characteristics which DP promotes as a positive feature of the game is cross-platform play.

Do you suggest that DP abandon in toto cross platform play? This seems antithetical to the general growth in the industry of moving towards cross-platform play.

• Turgeon
        Turgeon commented
        Editing a comment
        There is no switching platform but hell be rank with pc. Mobile leaderboard need to be mobile only

• bojck
        bojck commented
        Editing a comment
        dislike

Even when promoting cross platform play, you want to address obvious issues of fairness. Actually, in my mind, doing this does help in promoting cross platform play.

Comment

(I wrote the following a while ago on the Discord server. Looking back at the posts here, I see it's very close to Heikki Gross proposal.)

I understand the concerns about device swapping, even if I play only on mobile, I don't want the separation of Leaderboards to entail an impossibility to swap from one input style to another. On the other hand, you could argue that someone using K&C (Keypress and Click) with a Warrior to farm XP and CLs and mats then switching to T&D (Tap and Draw) to push with a Hunter would have an unfair advantage against "pure" T&D players. (Of course it may also be the case that a "pure" K&C player is disadvantage against a "mixing" player.) But I don't see how to avoid that without forbidding device swapping, and anyway this happens now, separating LBs won't make it worse.

Maybe a good solution is:

- Two separate Trial Level history, in and out, are maintained. Both are reset at the beginning of the event.
        - The player shall choose the input method they want to use for the competition : K&C or T&D.
        - A player shall select the in or the out history before selecting the next Trial they want to run.
        - If the selected history is in, then only the chosen competition input method can be used for the run. The other one is simply disabled. Both the in and out histories are affected by the run result.
        - If the selected history is out, then both input method can be used for the run. Only the out history is affected by the run result.
        - The best Trial in the in history is used for the corresponding Leaderboard ranking.

(Note: For story mode, both input method can be used at will.)
        Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
        Eternium Files

Comment

• Jose Sarmento
          Jose Sarmento commented
          Editing a comment
          For other examples of fundamental unfairnesses, we have:
          - phone model / OS for those who play on mobile
          - monitor size, gaming rig quality
          - real life agenda
          - size of wallet
          - account history (notably CL above 2200ish, rest can be quickly leveled)

• Heikki Gross
          Heikki Gross commented
          Editing a comment
          A skilled palyer with a Warrior, isnt slower on T&D by any means.

• LodWig
          LodWig commented
          Editing a comment
          Jose Sarmento I guess I wasn't clear... The goal of the proposal is not to avoid some unfairness between "mixing" and "pure" players. I just wanted to put this out of the way, stating that anyway it happens now so splitting can"t make it worse. Also, I agree it's a small source of unfairness, especially compared to the other sources you listed.

The goal of the proposal is to make it easy for players to switch between devices, while avoiding the huge source of imbalance stemming from the various input method. Just separating the LBs is good to restore balance, but may get in the way of device swapping as you would have to unlock twice all trials you want to run on both. Also in my proposal there is the "disabling the other input method" which I think is the best way to be sure the LB trial is done with the chosen method. And lastly and more importantly, my proposal forbid the use of swapping devices to skip a blocking boss.
          Last edited by LodWig; 12-28-2021, 12:13 PM.

I think PC always > Mobile.
        So the best way is once you use PC to push trial,the subsequent trials' record can only register in PC LB(this means you can use Mobile to push,but this record is in PC LB)(independent of each hero,reset at the beginning of each season).This is easy to implement programmatically.
        In order for the player to fully understand what will happened, We should alert players once we detect a player using a PC-like device(detect by Key press detect or other ways.).
        As LodWig said:For story mode, There is no need to detect.
        In this way,We can retained multi-platform playstyle and fairness of competition to the maximum extent.
        Last edited by LStab; 12-16-2021, 04:50 AM.

Comment

I genuinely do not know a single multi-platform user who has complained about the idea of getting shunted into the PC/KB+M Leaderboard as long as they retain the ability to still use their mobile.

OTOH - the whinging by some of the mobile only players about multi-platform play is simply inextricable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LStab View Post
            I think PC always > Mobile.
            So the best way is once you use PC to push trial,the subsequent trials' record can only register in PC LB(this means you can use Mobile to push,but this record is in PC LB)(independent of each hero,reset at the beginning of each season).This is easy to implement programmatically.
            In order for the player to fully understand what will happened, We should alert players once we detect a player using a PC-like device(detect by Key press detect or other ways.).
            As LodWig said:For story mode, There is no need to detect.
            In this way,We can retained multi-platform playstyle and fairness of competition to the maximum extent.
            This sums up the other nice "kiss" way to implement it. So to me these two would be the winning options:

a) fully separate LBs, per Season, per ANB. You play on T&D device, you rank on that LB. WHen you play on K&M device, you rank on that LB. At the end of an ANB, your best rank in the two LBs is the one that counts. At the end of a Season, it's your best rank out of the six LBs instead.

b) the first time in each event (Season, ANB) that you play a Trial (or perhaps - the first time that you beat your highest unlocked trial) on K&M moves you to that LB for competition purposes. Any subsequent T&D trials, regardless of level, will count against the K&M leaderboard for the event.

I like option a) the best. But I think either is fine.

Comment

• LodWig
              LodWig commented
              Editing a comment
              It's not sufficient to separate LBs. You must separate Trial unlocks also. Or one will use an input method to fight bosses that are hard to beat with the other method, and then will have an easy boss to fight for a high rank on the latter method LB. This is this problem my (admittedly a bit hard to fully grasp at first, but quite simple in fact) proposal aims to solve. While preserving easy method swapping.

• Jose Sarmento
              Jose Sarmento commented
              Editing a comment
              Err, a little late to the party, but this is what I meant (and should have phrased more clearly) by "fully separate": if you have T100 unlocked on the T&D progression and on the K&M progression, and unlock T105 on your K&M progression, on the T&D progression you still have T105 locked.

EDIT: to better expedite the progression, up to T100 it could be a single ladder I guess.
              Last edited by Jose Sarmento; 01-03-2022, 05:12 PM.

I'm a purist mobile user, but I support people who want to play the game in a way that works best for them. For me, mobile is ideal because it's the only way that I can put in enough time to be competitive. I can always finish a few story levels or trials while in line at a checkout counter, or while waiting at a dentist's office.

Maybe it's been suggested before, but what about a separate LB for combo players? So PC and mobile purists each get their own LB. Anyone who uses more than one input type would automatically get shunted to the multi-platform LB.

Comment

Originally posted by Teebs View Post
              I genuinely do not know a single multi-platform user who has complained about the idea of getting shunted into the PC/KB+M Leaderboard as long as they retain the ability to still use their mobile.
              I have an issue with that. I play on both platforms and I would really like to participate on both seasonal leaderboards, with the same hero. Should I use one account for mobile and other for PC, thats not optimal.

Comment

• Teebs
                Teebs commented
                Editing a comment
                If I actually understood LodWig comment above, that might be a solution.

It does bring up an interesting factor - at a certain point, the farming benefit of PC over mobile has a profoundly diminishing distinction (this distinction I think is amplified during ANB - which is not what you are addressing in making the distinction of Season)

The significant problem then is map shopping with PC.

AND - I freely admit I am not a higher Trial competitor, so, personally, I am just looking to be able to continue to play on both because there are times which I prefer mobile and times I prefer PC, so, honestly, I am happy with the way it is now - not because I think I have a Leaderboard advantage - but because I enjoy the cross-platform play integration as it is.

... KTB

• Heikki Gross
                Heikki Gross commented
                Editing a comment
                Given that any top level player can reach 2K+ CL's in 3 hours with a warrior regardless of the platform, the speed of farming is really not an issue. For final push, 50-100 power will not make any significant impact while map and mob rng pays a lot bigger role. So I think that farming on PC vs Mobile is really a nonissue. So far I have also farmed on PC and on mobile in the same event, im not afraid that im missing out a lot by having a fraction slower clear time on mobile becasue there is enough time in all the events for top players to reach their CL's and farming goals.

• Kristoff
                Kristoff commented
                Editing a comment
                Heikki Gross Guess I don't qualify as a top player, then.

The best that I've been able to do in 3 hours is 1700 to 1800 CLs. Still have a lot to learn. I can only hit 2K CLs in a silver or bronze ANB because I can farm XP longer.

Any update on the pc vs mobile leader board split?

Comment

Ребят делить на пк и мобильные надо но боюсь делать просто отдельные anb с возможностью создавать перса на обоих платформах.
              разделение по опыту нерентабельно ибо играю не первый год а до топа 250 ни разу недоплывал.соответственно жатса на медали нет смысла я и так их невижу) спасибо за игру всем участникам проекта .

Comment

Originally posted by Heikki Gross View Post

I have an issue with that. I play on both platforms and I would really like to participate on both seasonal leaderboards, with the same hero. Should I use one account for mobile and other for PC, thats not optimal.
                The way I suggested, and I believe is what LodWig has in mind also, allows for this. When you use your hero on a K&M device, you progress and rank on the K&M leaderboard. When you use that same hero on a T&D device, you progress and rank on the T&D leaderboard instead. At Season end, your highest rank across all *six* leaderboards (per class and per input method) determines your rewards.

Comment

Not fan of the split at all. Just adds unnecessary complications to the game. I play on both devices. If you're a mobile expert/purist on, great. If you play on PC only, great. If both, great. You play on your favorite platform(s) bringing a level of expertise to the game, independent of hardware. I wager (I KNOW) many, MANY mobile players game better than I would ever hope to on PC. The top players will rise because of their expertise, not because of hardware. These so-called incremental advantages, if any, of one device over another are just that. I certainly just don't see it when I play both. Way too much overkill and muddling to realize any real benefit. My two cents worth and a nickel will get you a cup of coffee.
                  “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” – Japanese proverb

KUWA QOGI VEJU 4115

VACAFOR - 4F/2W Warrior
                  ... MICA - Mage ... BELA - Hybrid BH ... MICATHREE - Mage Farmer ... BELAFOR - BH Farmer

Comment

• LodWig
                    LodWig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    To me having to press a key or having to draw a sign makes two different games.
                    You can spam a key until the ability is ready. You can't do that with signs.
                    It's not a tiny advantage.

If you can or want to play both you will lose nothing anyway. And even gain, as splitting the user base will mechanically raise ranks.

• WarriorSeven
                    WarriorSeven commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I stand by my comment as an average player. There's hardly any difference in my overall gameplay on either platform. Fractions of a second difference in gameplay execution does not, to me, warrant the additional complexity this split will introduce.

Warrior seven
                  I'm sorry but you are way off the beam!
                  I changed my phone and bought one solely for its graphic processor, and went up 10 CLS instantly. Hardware is key,and PC beat mobile solidly. That's the difference between top 250 or 100 .

Comment

• WarriorSeven
                    WarriorSeven commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lost cause for the average player then. I'm certainly not upgrading a phone or PC just to play this game.

• ricklhall
                    ricklhall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am so with you, Warrior Seven My occasional PC play is on an old desktop that cannot be upgraded to Win11 I play on my IPad while watching TV. I have three heroes level 70 and just finished TL60, lol. Took me about five weeks to get all the recipes. Still upgrading Abilities.

As a newer and more casual player, I do not appreciate many of the intrecacies discussed here.
                  IF I am not totally too late to this party:
                  • I like the idea that everyone starts with a clean slate with NOTHING carried from one's main including none of the "save the daily thing" that I read somewhere.
                  • Open all the recipes for everything.
                  • Lock all the TLs for everyone with no way to unlock anything except by effort (or unlock them all??).
                  • I also like the idea of a carrot or two more for us more casual/less intense players.

Comment

Working...
                  X