This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming leaderboard changes

We would like to propose and discuss a set of changes aimed towards making leaderboard competition more fair. For now we want to roll out two major changes

ANB Leagues

One source of unfairness is having new players and veteran players compete on the same leaderboard during ANBs. To fix this we are going to split players in separate pools according to their progress on trials.

As an example we would have 3 brackets:
    • Contender League - max defeated trial level < 60
    • Veteran League - max defeated trial level < 100
    • Master League - max defeated trial level >= 100

The numbers above and number of brackets are an example, subject to change from event to event until we find the optimal split.
    • You will not be able to choose your bracket, you would be selected based on the max trial level you have defeated on your account, across all your heroes
    • Once a hero is created for an event, the chosen league will remain locked during that event. Even if you defeat the trial level required to unlock the next league you won’t be able to create a new event hero and compete in that next league.

To discuss: how should the reward structure and milestone be different between leagues?

Our opinion is that milestone rewards should have lower requirements to be obtained in the lower leagues, as an incentive for new players to progress further into the game. However, when it comes to medals our first thought is to award less medals in lower leagues. Let us know what you think about this.

Mobile vs PC

Another well known source of unfairness is the difference in efficiency between playing on a mobile device and playing on a PC using a mouse and keyboard. Players using a mouse and keyboard can cast their abilities quicker and more precisely. The obvious solution is to use separate leaderboards for players using solely the mobile touch interface and players using a keyboard and mouse.

ANB

This are the main rules that will govern ANB events with split leaderboards:
    • When you create a hero for ANB you will be asked to choose the platform on which you will compete on
    • Playing a level (story or trial) will be allowed only on the chosen platform.
    • Due to the shared event stash you won’t be able to create a new event hero and choose a different platform during the same event
    • Obviously, the score will be submitted only on the chosen platform leaderboard

To discuss:
    Reward structure, since we are basically separating the players into two pools, how the rank based rewards should change?
    Should the milestone rewards requirements remain the same?
    Should PC players be allowed to also play levels on their mobile devices (without being able to submit score to the mobile leaderboards)?

Waiting for your suggestions and questions here, hoping you will identify some corner cases that need to be ironed out before going live with this.

Seasonal leaderboards.

You will be able to submit on both leaderboards during a season, depending on the device the trial was finished on (e.g.: if you are finishing a trial on a mobile device the score will be submitted on the mobile devices leaderboard). At the end of the season you will gain the leaderboard ranking rewards based on the leaderboard you performed best on. As an example, let’s say you are ranked 73 on the mobile leaderboard and 157 on the PC leaderboard. When the season ends you will gain the rewards for ranking 73 on the mobile leaderboard and will be removed from the PC leaderboard.

Release plan

Phase 1: We are planning to first implement the leagues split and go live with it in the next ANB Bronze. ETA - this weekend unless something critical pops out.

Phase 2: Separate leaderboards for PC/Mobiles starting with the next ANB Silver.

PS: We know the PC/Mobile separation is the most wanted upgrade but it’s also the more challenging from a technical point of view.

Waiting for your feedback and suggestions.

Contender, veteran, and master league is a bad idea. Lots of players who do their first anb with the help from discord/forum are getting TL110 for both CTs, even TL130+. After 1 or 2 anbs they can be placing in top250/100.

Mobile vs pc is the only split you need for the leaderboards. I'm not sure what the ratio of mobile vs pc players is, but if we assume it's 50/50 the new players that are placing top 250/100, are now about top125/50.

For season I would like to see 1 or the other. If the account does any trials on PC then it should only be able to compete on PC leaderboard. I recently started playing bh with the new meta. 178 and 179 will be much harder than 181. So if someone was able to skip over the harder bosses on pc, then switch to a phone I feel like that is a bit unfair.

So for season would you be able to look into doing mobile only vs pc that might also happen to play mobile too?

Comment

• Romme
      Romme commented
      Editing a comment
      That's fair. I just thought it would be a lot more work on your side of things and so many leaderboards can get messy.

• MrNoob
      MrNoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I vote for only separation between those who have medals vs those who don't. This would actually hurt me since I don't have a lot of medals but me competing against a new player isn't fair to them.

• Romme
      Romme commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd actually like devs to get rid of medals for 1 anb cycle so all the players who think that medals are an issue will see that they place exactly the same either way.

I am not necessarily against the splitting novices from the veterans, but trial 60? For the season? It will look like this:
    1. Tl60, 30 sec
    2. Tl60, 30 sec
    10.Tl60, 31 sec
    50.Tl60, 60sex
    100. Tl60, 90sec

I don't insist on these very values, but you get the idea.

Comment

• Romme
      Romme commented
      Editing a comment
      It's based off the max trial you completed on all heroes on your account going into the anb.

With these 3 different leaderboards and a pc vs mobile split, you would have 6 leaderboards to go through which is just too many.

• LodWig
      LodWig commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Arhi View Post
      50.Tl60, 60sex
      100. Tl60, 90sec
      Rank 50 looks fun...

Originally posted by Arhi View Post
      I don't insist on these very values, but you get the idea.
      I do.

ANB Leagues

I quite like the idea of splitting ANB into brackets. Perhaps Contender (<100) + Veteran (>100) will suffice and be easier to maintain?

Regarding the Contender league:
    - players should have the incentive to push as high as possible, e.g. trial 100 for a big reward such as glory or a second CT, and up to say 3 medals. This way no one will benefit from staying within the lower league on purpose.
    - it should be easier to progress for players that have less game experience, gems and glory. Event packs can be more generous, there can be a couple of MoT crates to help along the way. There could be an ephemeral box that can turn into a trinket/lily/belt/bracer.

Mobile vs PC

It makes sense to me to split the PC (win store, steam) versions from the rest.

ANB

This are the main rules that will govern ANB events with split leaderboards:
    • Playing a level (story or trial) will be allowed only on the chosen platform.
      Totally agree regarding mobile. I'd suggest that PC players should be allowed to play on all platforms, but rank only on the PC leaderboard. Cross-platform play is one of the game's biggest advantages, it will be a shame to lose it for no good reason.
    • Due to the shared event stash you won’t be able to create a new event hero and choose a different platform during the same event
      Agree that a new hero should rank on the leaderboard chosen in the beginning of the event. Creating new heroes and dual-classing is fun, it would be a bad idea to forbid that. In the long events some of us spend many hours 'farming' xp, gold and resources, and doing that with the preferred class is pretty important
    • Reward structure
      I think all rewards and milestones should be the same. They are perfectly achievable with all classes and platforms. Of course it is harder on mobile, but the difference is not more than 5 trials.

Seasonal leaderboards

Ranking both on the mobile and pc season leaderboards (best one counts) sounds like an excellent idea! I think all medals/titles should be identical for both leaderboards. All season milestone rewards should be shared (season levels, boxes, boosters etc).

That said, it is quite important to reset trial progress each season, and keep it separate on PC and mobile! If you want to rank high on mobile, you should struggle through all bosses, including Garm in an awful cave map Otherwise mobile players can have all trials unlocked on PC, and each season start with the last unlocked Magroth, and maybe try TBD if they feel competitive : )

Mage: Anba
    Bounty Hunter: Gemma

Comment

• Adrian (Developer)
      Adrian (Developer) commented
      Editing a comment
      "- players should have the incentive to push as high as possible, e.g. trial 100 for a big reward such as glory or a second CT, and up to say 3 medals. This way no one will benefit from staying within the lower league on purpose."

Our thoughts exactly. There's no incentive to purposefully stay in a lower bracket.

Please Don't Deprecate Cross Platform Play for PC

I have zero problem being relegated to the PC leaderboard for even play a single moment on my PC, but one of the greatest parts of this game is the cross-platform play - being able to play on both my mobile (tablet) and my PC.

I think there is a risk for extending that to mobile (kinda sorta) in allowing map-shopping. However, you can prevent this by allowing Trial unlocks (assuming you can code it this way) only through the Leaderboard device you have selected (so if someone on mobile wants to go back and do XP farming on a lower level with their PC, I don't see the problem there - personally)

... KTB

Comment

• Jose Sarmento
      Jose Sarmento commented
      Editing a comment
      I still think this is, in practice, a non-issue. It is convenient for a PC player (base platform = PC) to play on mobile sometimes. But a mobile player gets no added practical convenience from playing on a PC.

So to me, yeah, if you play on the PC "just one bit", that means you could simply push the event on the PC, and you "deserve" to be on the PC leaderboards. If you want to avoid that, well, just use your mobile instead, and leave the PC turned off.

• Turgeon
      Turgeon commented
      Editing a comment
      For me youre right jose. Im mobile player and im only on mobile as i donthave pc.

• Teebs
      Teebs commented
      Editing a comment
      Adrian (Developer) - my plea was for ANB. As a cross platform player, I fully understand and appreciate that PC play provides certain advantages. And, if I choose to spend some time on my tablet during an ANB, I really have no problem being forced into the PC Leaderboard.

Since ANB IS a significant part of why players continue to play Eternium - removing cross-play from ANB is effectively removing cross-play from Eternium.

Please don't do that.

Seasons: It is absolutely essential that Trial progressions are separate. Without this, LB separation is a joke. (It must also be reset for each new Season, but for other reasons.) Because a Season is lengthy, allowing using both types of user inputs won't have a major impact on final ranks. (Except maybe for very new players: one starting and playing with Keyboard & Mouse will likely have more CL and mats for the final push than one starting and playing with Tap & Draw.)

ANBs: I like the idea of being able to choose the LB for the whole ANB league. I don't see any problem in letting K&B players use T&D during an ANB, but for precaution and simplicity I would still separate Trial progressions.
    Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
    Eternium Files

Comment

• Adrian (Developer)
      Editing a comment
      Separate trial progression on PC/Mobile, noted down. That would eliminate map hopping and other exploits.

Originally posted by Adrian (Developer) View Post
    I understand this as meaning
    once you chose a platform, you won't be able to switch, even by creating a new hero
    and not
    you won't be able to create a new hero
    Right?
    Mobile Only (iPhone 5 / iPad Air 1st gen / iPad Pro 11" 2nd gen)
    Eternium Files

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian (Developer);n205104
    [B
    Mobile vs PC[/B]

Another well known source of unfairness is the difference in efficiency between playing on a mobile device and playing on a PC using a mouse and keyboard. Players using a mouse and keyboard can cast their abilities quicker and more precisely. The obvious solution is to use separate leaderboards for players using solely the mobile touch interface and players using a keyboard and mouse.
    Get rid of the global cool down and give us our AR back.

With separate LB there is no reason for the global cooldown anymore.

And as Jose Sarmento pointed out in his post giving us our AR (roll back alacrity nerfs) is an easy way to make the game playable again. I have played for over four years and the gradual reduction of our AR is the single worst modification in this game. I want to be able to actually play the game.
    DUCI HEXA YIWA 0721

Comment

• Adrian (Developer)
      Editing a comment
      "With separate LB there is no reason for the global cooldown anymore."
      This is an interesting suggestion, we are going to think it through.

• Jose Sarmento
      Jose Sarmento commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't "like" your comment, Adrian (forum doesn't allow it). But I really do.

• Turgeon
      Turgeon commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes good news here thnk!

What about the touchscreen mobiles and tablets with separate keyboards and mouse attached? surely using them puts those guys in the pc league? or is that undetectable?

Comment

• LodWig
      LodWig commented
      Editing a comment
      No. Whatever your device is, if you use a keypress to trigger an ability, you are in the "K&M" category. If you use a sign, you're in the "T&D" category.
      Nothing to do with the hardware used, but only to the input method. If you want to draw signs with a mouse, that's fine.

• Adrian (Developer)
      Editing a comment
      As LodWig said, a better term would be "K&M" vs "T&D".
      So using a tablet with keyboard and mouse will be considered a PC (K&M).
      Using an emulator with gestures mapped to a keyboard will be considered a PC.
      Using an emulator will be considered a PC.

• Jose Sarmento
      Jose Sarmento commented
      Editing a comment
      About "using an emulator will be considered a PC", I imagine this is part of the technical difficulty with the implementation.

From my experience with Nox and AutoHotKey, assiging a key to actually draw a gesture on-screen for you is *nowhere* the fluidity of the direct keypress. BEcause AUtoHotKey (and same goes for the emulator itself) needs mouse control during execution, and since you're also moving the mouse at the time, disruption ensues.

One of Dyoma's crew I think had more "fluidity" with creating the assignment inside the emulator itself, but that would only draw the gestures on the center of the screen (i.e. good for untargeted abilities but not targeted).

So in short, I think Adrian's last two lines are not the crux of the matter: considering them a PC doesn't hurt, considering them a mobile won't pave the way for unfair exploiting either.

As laffcarl already mentioned: we already saw before that you can attach keyboards and mouses to tablets (and even that some emulators work perfectly fine with emulating the game and allowing the use of a keyboard as input for the game), so please don't split on platform but split on input method. Otherwise you are just introducing a new class of exploits right from the start.

Secondly,
    with regards to still allowing cross-platform play: one option would be that people choose their input method at the start (i.e. touch or keyboard+mouse), regardless of which device they play on, and it only gets enforced for unlocking and ranking trials beyond a certain point, e.g. TL110 for the second CT (or 103 as being the XP cap, or 120 for being the legendary drops cap).
    That allows players like me to still on Fridays start the event on their phone because they're not home yet to play on PC, do a few story levels and start cooking their skills, and in the following days play whenever is convenient on either mobile or PC. Then, near the end of the event, competitive play is limited to the input method of choice once you start pushing to trials beyond the soft cap.

This keeps the fantastic flexibility we have with this game, but still enforces that competitive ranking on the leaderboards happens fairly and is locked to your input method of choice.

Thirdly:
    For Seasons, please reset the unlocked trials each season, otherwise we have these completely ridiculous situations of people just doing 1 push attempt the last day and for the rest not playing at all the entire season because they have previously already unlocked all the way until their natural wall.
    Last edited by UmbraDei; 10-26-2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Adrian (Developer)
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the split will be done by the input method instead of platform.
      You will be able to start training abilities on your mobile devices even if you selected a Keyboard&Mouse input method. Only playing a level will be restricted (maybe not even that, we can allow K&M players to play using T&D, but not the other way around)

We are definitely going to reset the trial progression each season and separate the trial progression w.r.t. input method.

I agree with the players who argue that splitting new players from veteran players is completely unnecessary. If you want to "level the playing field" for ANBs, you should just create a firewall between main accounts and ANB heroes so that, aside from a one-time capped transfer of gems (say 5k) at the beginning of the event, nothing is transferrable from the main account into the ANB event including medals or daily quest awards and allow every ANB hero to have equal access to all crafting recipes and crafting mastery during an ANB. Then you can pit all players on a direct skill vs. skill level without any advantages (e.g., medals) or handicaps (e.g., lack of access to recipes). I am sure that I represent the majority of veteran players who are confident enough in their game skills and strategies to compete with new players on a level playing field during an ANB event.

I also agree that there should be a separate leaderboard for those who chose to go "all in" on mobile game play. However, the concept that the top trial completed on a mobile device gets registered on the mobile leaderboard totally defeats the purpose of separating the leaderboards! Since many players would just use PC play to bypass the most difficult trials and then play the easier trial on mobile to get on the mobile leaderboard. Using that rule, a player could play all but the last 10 minutes of an event on PC, then after defeating Garm, switch over to register a win against Kara on the mobile leaderboard. Lame! It makes the separate leaderboard concept completely meaningless! My rule would be: "if you run even one trial on a PC, then you will be placed on the PC leaderboard for the duration of that event." The mobile leaderboard would only be for players who complete the entire event on mobile. Simple, straightforward, no exceptions!!!

I do not see the need to tweak the reward structure for any ANB or Season event. Mobile would essentially represent a separate division of player with their own leaderboards not unlike how Warrior and BH have separate leaderboards now. We can still compare progress on a global leaderboard while allowing mobile players to compete in their own division.

Also, reset trial progressions, so that no player goes into the event with higher trials already opened.
    Last edited by Ozymandius; 10-27-2021, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• Ozymandius
      Ozymandius commented
      Editing a comment
      papa jim Not sure why a mobile player would jump ship to play on PC if they wanted to compete on the mobile game leaderboard. Are you suggesting that they could not play mobile at home? My mobile devices are portable and work anywhere there is a WIFI or cellular connection, at home, in the car, or on a plane, in a box with a fox or while riding on a train. My understanding is that mobile players play on mobile by choice. If a player wants to compete on the mobile leaderboard, they would simply chose not to play on PC for that event. Dual platform players could still compete on the regular leaderboard.
      Last edited by Ozymandius; 10-27-2021, 12:57 AM. Reason: typo

• papa jim
      papa jim commented
      Editing a comment
      I use pc at home for the large display, locking into a platform when you start ANB takes away the cross platform option which a lot of us use particularly when traveling, a better option would be to lock at a higher level (130+) for those who want to compete. Can you actually see the future well enough to predict your location for the duration of ANB?

• Ozymandius
      Ozymandius commented
      Editing a comment
      papa jim I agree with your point that "locking in" a platform would not fit my typical pattern of play, but I have no intention of competing on the mobile leaderboard. I am content to compete with the other PC and dual platform players. My main point is that only players on the mobile leaderboard would need to be monitored by the system. Locking a dual platform player out of the PC leaderboard seems ridiculous, unless you create an additional set of leaderboards for dual platform players.

I was driving home and realizing I have quite a bit to say on this matter... hopefully before the thread gets swarmed with responses, as it inevitably will given the "hotness" of the subject.

- I wholeheartedly agree with LodWig et. al. that *input method* is the most important distinctive factor. While there are some extra benefits to PC gameplay - field of vision and Frost Beam / Vortex interaction, most of all - the biggest difference by far is being able to type "123" rather than draw "< > ^ V". An emulator with AutoHotKey or whatever macros binding "123" to drawing the runes behaves like a phone; a phone with actual keyboard and mouse connected behaves like a PC.

- Also completely agree with being able to rank on both "input methods" each Season. Teebs is right to praise the importance of cross-platform play. And flexibility of choice is good. I can see it being hard to predict at Season start whether you'll have time to play enough on your PC or have upcoming travels etc. and must go with mobile. Shouldn't have to worry about that, so Adrian (Developer) 's idea makes total sense.

For ANBs, if you record any gameplay using the Keyboard and Mouse input method, to me, you're on the PC leaderboard. If you have access to that setup during the event, you also have access to it for pushing. Beware this shouldn't just be measured on recorded (online) Trials. Some internal client-side flag is required.

- I agree with Romme and Hegemony that the ANB league split is unnecessary - though not for the reasons Romme cites. Yes, we see lots of new players go on Discord for game knowledge (which we "veterans" are generally happy to provide) and do well in their first ANBs. They soon progress to become veterans, and pay it forward onto newer players - my perception is that Arhi is one good example of this.
    But "the Arhis" are the tip of the iceberg. Many more players exist who do NOT go on Discord, or here on the forums.

Some time back I introduced a colleague to the game. He had a blast and was getting addicted. When I looked at his progress three weeks later, he was happily fighting Story Mode Legendary - had not even allocated one single Champion Point, crafted any jewelry.

Of course, one could say, the knowledge is there for those who make the effort. That's great. For me one of the most satisfying aspects of Eternium is learning, *mastering* this knowledge and reaping the benefits in the ANBs and Trials that I fight.

But it shouldn't be required to go for that knowledge from ANB #1. And until you do, the game *can* feel quite a bit overwhelming with all that it exposes you to, and the ANBs can appear quite difficult (and unrewarding).

- It also seems unfair that you would "lock" the leagues based on main account heroes Trial completion. I recently started an account for my oldest son (5 yo), and played an ANB for him to make his Warrior. So of course that one has Trial 120-something unlocked. So if he wants to "evolve" and start playing the events himself he would be locked to the Master league already? Doesn't make sense, or is required.

- I would not "separate" the leagues going into an ANB. I would instead do something like this:

1) keep existing reward structure, make Epic item cubes NOT ephemeral. these are great to keep for starting players and completely meaningless after you have a more established character. Make the last two Epic cubes Legendary (level 70) instead.
    2) at the end of the event:
    - reward players that did not go beyond Trial 70 with a Medal of Fortitude (Armor) and a Medal of Tenacity (Vitality)
    - reward players that passed Trial 70 but did not reach Trial 90 with and an extra 20 Glory and an extra Legendary cube
    - reward players that passed Trial 90 but did not reach Trial 110 with a Medal of Knowledge and 3 extra Jewelry Crafting Cubes

All those that passed T110 and got their second Celestial Transform get ranked together as they have until now.

So basically you add "consolation prizes" to those that don't manage the two CTs. Those prizes are quite desirable for anyone starting out, and quite irrelevant for anyone already experienced.

Comment

• Adrian (Developer)
      Editing a comment
      Very good suggestions here, totally agree that for a new player some non-ephemeral cubes would be a great reward.

We still think that is more fair for a new player to be gently introduced to the ANBs by competing against their peers instead of against veterans. Sure, there will be those new players that read guides and have an amazing progress even in Contender league. But I don't think there are going to be 100s of those. We think it can be demoralizing for a new player to see that rank #1000 defeats TL 110 while they are struggling at TL 50.

• Jose Sarmento
      Jose Sarmento commented
      Editing a comment
      Fair point, but they will get that "demoralization" from seeing the main leaderboards anyway... how about just "hide" the competitive rewards / ANB leaderboard buttons (in the rewards screen) for players whose main characters have not yet passed T110?

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post
    - I would not "separate" the leagues going into an ANB. I would instead do something like this:

1) keep existing reward structure, make Epic item cubes NOT ephemeral. these are great to keep for starting players and completely meaningless after you have a more established character. Make the last two Epic cubes Legendary (level 70) instead.
    2) at the end of the event:
    - reward players that did not go beyond Trial 70 with a Medal of Fortitude (Armor) and a Medal of Tenacity (Vitality)
    - reward players that passed Trial 70 but did not reach Trial 90 with and an extra 20 Glory and an extra Legendary cube
    - reward players that passed Trial 90 but did not reach Trial 110 with a Medal of Knowledge and 3 extra Jewelry Crafting Cubes

All those that passed T110 and got their second Celestial Transform get ranked together as they have until now.

So basically you add "consolation prizes" to those that don't manage the two CTs. Those prizes are quite desirable for anyone starting out, and quite irrelevant for anyone already experienced.
    Jose Sarmento +1 to your idea of making the Epic cube items in an ANB not ephemeral. That would give something valuable to new, lower-level players that essentially has no competitive value outside of an ANB event. However, it would allow new players to try out some gear sets that can only be purchased with Glory, which is a major bottleneck for a new player. I also support your idea of giving some rewards to new players who are unable to reach the CT rewards.

Comment

Brand new separate leaderboards for different skill levels for a Bronze ANB that will be running concurrently and overlap with end of Season! What could possibly go wrong with that plan? Really???
      Last edited by RockDoc; 10-27-2021, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• papa jim
        papa jim commented
        Editing a comment
        not an issue, seasons have been extended to prevent ending during anb.

• Romme
        Romme commented
        Editing a comment
        And they have also not. Would have been best to get feedback, come up with a plan with said feedback, and start anb next Friday after season is already over.

• Teebs
        Teebs commented
        Editing a comment
        Well ... the only impact here is on Bronze ANB - which has relatively minimal impact anyway (in the big picture).

I think making sure that new(er) players - particularly the new Steam players - have an ANB to play in is a bigger consideration than whatever may come from the Season ending during an ANB (which is impacting only a tiny handful of very forward looking Veteran players). 1-10 million gold will help many people, but again, in the long run - any outcome of any given ANB (much less a Bronze) is pretty minimal.

I think the key for ANB league split based on progression is no to remove motivation for completing higher trial levels. "complete trial 100 to get better rewards in next ANB" sounds pleasing as a player, "complete trial 100 to make it harder to gain same rewards in next ANB" is what the proposal sounds like.
      Or even inside ANB "defeat trial 100 outside of ANB to unlock ranked reward x" - makes it clear how to progress and makes me want to play more.

Could also consider highest trial completed on the profile in last 40days instead of overall as indicator.

Comment

Working...
      X