Game balancing provisional notes for game update 1.2.55 beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IPNEIP View Post
    Oh for the sake of all that's good and holy, must all deviant play styles converge into a (excuse the pun) "shoot-em-up" game? What are we going to do with 3 secs - spit at the monster??
    Coming in from the outside and seeing how the game plays now and then this update, it really does seem that there's a specific way they want these classes to play and that's it.

This is a valid design decision, though I am not sure one that is conducive to holding most people's interest over time. Hopefully there's a longer-term plan to improve build diversity.

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Qeltar View Post

Coming in from the outside and seeing how the game plays now and then this update, it really does seem that there's a specific way they want these classes to play and that's it.
        I disagree completely...I have many ways to play each class. Open your mind and experiment. Unless you try it you don't know if it will work. If you can only play each class 1 way that's your failing and not the games.
        Everyone thinks pure dps mage is the best, but its not. I'm better with my ability rate mage. I can think of at least 4 very completive different viable builds per class and I have no idea what will get furthest in trials.
        The hardest thing in this game is to get the gear to build the different builds.
        Led

The needer of Nerfs,
        The greatest sheepshagger of all

Killed 1970 frogs...and plans to kill 1 more
        HALU RALO ZEYO 0519

Comment

Until it goes live and not in beta, I'll wait and see before making any decisions. From what I read, I am not too happy about any of it. After leveling up to 70, you are faced with endless grinding and repeating of levels in the hopes that something useful drops for you. I did 13 consecutive runs of Misty Island and not one single piece of usable gear dropped. Now, I learn that some of the skills that keep me JUST able to do trials will be throttled. It is easy for people who have been here for years and years to say this is amazing as they have a variety of gear that is based on a variety of abilities. I fear that for the new people, this will be bad news. I hope I am wrong!

Comment

old people used to be new people, and new people become tomorrows old people. its a good game, stick with it
            Led

The needer of Nerfs,

HALU RALO ZEYO 0519

Comment

Led, I value your opinion since you've been around a long time and played a lot. But you're playing a different game than I am (and probably Aurora too).

You suggest that I experiment.. I have, from the start, actually. And I rather quickly hit a wall. The advice I was given? Go for DPS as a mage or play warrior. Over and over.

The real question is: if most people are already playing DPS mages, then why are so many of the changes oriented around giving them even more DPS? Look at the ability changes for mage. They consist of a bunch of DPS buffs, and a nerf to one of the few CC abilities. I don't see how that is doing anything but pigeonholing the class. That doesn't mean people like you can't do something different anyway, but it's not relevant to newer players. Maybe after a year I will have enough knowledge and "stuff" to be able to do what you do, but I can't now and won't be able to for a long time.

I'm glad that the game is changing to be more about challenge and less about grinding. But you and others have already done most of the grinding you needed to get powerful enough to tackle the high-end content and you have the gear to "experiment". Newer players don't. There really aren't a lot of options of how to build an effective character. Especially given how important jewelry is and how much it costs to make. I can't make 20 different near-perfect rings, some with defensive stats and some with offensive stats. It would take hundreds of hours to get all the materials.

I'm not trying to be a complainer or say the game should change to suit my tastes. It shouldn't. I'm just saying how things look to me as someone who really likes the dev team and the concept behind this game but is having a hard time finding ways to have fun while actually playing it. You say "new people become tomorrow's old people" -- yes, if they stick with it. I'm trying to find reasons to stick with it. This game has a surprisingly small active community given how long it's been around, and how many downloads and reviews it has. What that says to me is that many people try it but most stop playing after a short time. Grinding appeals only to a relatively small percentage of gamers. If they want people to play for a longer time, there needs to be more variety. I do not see this update as a step in that direction.

All IMO of course, and respectfully offered.

Comment

I'm not going to join the beta for now, too be honest, I don't understand how this is going to work. I'm no maths guy and those formulas mean nothing to me.

While I like the transparency of what is being changed I don't know what that means either.

I'm hoping on other players translating this technical stuff to what it means for our gameplay.

ROYE SEYA GORA 5745 - XP warrior: Nuvo - CL 1200 Oct. 2017

Comment

Besides classes revamping, what I got clear is that doing high level trials will become almost impossible on mobile devices (actual testing might prove me wrong).
                  Last edited by hades0505; 09-25-2017, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qeltar View Post
                    Led, I value your opinion since you've been around a long time and played a lot. But you're playing a different game than I am (and probably Aurora too).

You suggest that I experiment.. I have, from the start, actually. And I rather quickly hit a wall. The advice I was given? Go for DPS as a mage or play warrior. Over and over.

The real question is: if most people are already playing DPS mages, then why are so many of the changes oriented around giving them even more DPS? Look at the ability changes for mage. They consist of a bunch of DPS buffs, and a nerf to one of the few CC abilities. I don't see how that is doing anything but pigeonholing the class. That doesn't mean people like you can't do something different anyway, but it's not relevant to newer players. Maybe after a year I will have enough knowledge and "stuff" to be able to do what you do, but I can't now and won't be able to for a long time.

I'm glad that the game is changing to be more about challenge and less about grinding. But you and others have already done most of the grinding you needed to get powerful enough to tackle the high-end content and you have the gear to "experiment". Newer players don't. There really aren't a lot of options of how to build an effective character. Especially given how important jewelry is and how much it costs to make. I can't make 20 different near-perfect rings, some with defensive stats and some with offensive stats. It would take hundreds of hours to get all the materials.

I'm not trying to be a complainer or say the game should change to suit my tastes. It shouldn't. I'm just saying how things look to me as someone who really likes the dev team and the concept behind this game but is having a hard time finding ways to have fun while actually playing it. You say "new people become tomorrow's old people" -- yes, if they stick with it. I'm trying to find reasons to stick with it. This game has a surprisingly small active community given how long it's been around, and how many downloads and reviews it has. What that says to me is that many people try it but most stop playing after a short time. Grinding appeals only to a relatively small percentage of gamers. If they want people to play for a longer time, there needs to be more variety. I do not see this update as a step in that direction.

All IMO of course, and respectfully offered.
                    great post dude, I know your not complaining. With buffs to DPS on the mage, it benefits all builds. I would like to see mage gain a shield skill.
                    Yes getting the required end game gear takes forever. Its the dam gemstones that are the handy cap. My 1st year playing I felt poor, its only in the past 6 months I'm capable of a lot more.
                    Even with dps mage there are many near equally viable builds.

Slow time, singularity blink. (Max cc build for more survivability)
                    Blizzard, nova, blink (max dps build)
                    blizzard, singularity, blink (hybrid dps - control)

This new death from above look and sounds absolutely nuts. 25 hits for big damage. Wow. How to fit that in I guess. options on options.
                    For mage being more of a tank is gear dependent and you can use same builds regardless how you want to gear.
                    Last edited by Led; 09-26-2017, 03:54 PM.
                    Led

The needer of Nerfs,

HALU RALO ZEYO 0519

Comment

Thanks Led, appreciate it. I have also considered the real possibility that the problem may be me, I may just not be the right playstyle fit for this game. Which is fine, this happens.

But so far at least, the company's attitude and the nice community are keeping me here.
                      Last edited by Qeltar; 09-25-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I'm new so I'm probably wrong, but this seems like a buff to BH and Mage and a nerf to Warrior. It is also putting more emphasis on trials, and Warrior was already weaker in trials than BH and Mage. Why do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Wesquire View Post
                          I'm new so I'm probably wrong, but this seems like a buff to BH and Mage and a nerf to Warrior. It is also putting more emphasis on trials, and Warrior was already weaker in trials than BH and Mage. Why do this?
                          In the big picture trials will become actually easier for Warriors. Their immense toughness boost and the lower mob damage help with survival, which previously was their limiting factor. Mage and BH survival become more difficult and they probably can't afford to invest everything into DPS stats any longer.
                          MULU FIGU DUFE 7374

Comment

Originally posted by Wesquire View Post
                            i only play BH so i can only talk about BH, but I think BH loses alot of damage potential on pierce change alone. And they killed the concussive shot. BH is fragile and have less skills than other class meaning less synergy stats and less play style to work around. I hope they think this through. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Wow! These updates are blowing my mind. One thing is for sure, we all have to "rethink" and "re-imagine" our current builds. I love the updates for that. No more "perfect", "best", and "recommended" builds, it will now depend on one's play style, skill, creativity, and imagination.

I can't speak for the other classes as I've only spent time on my Warrior so far. However, as what others have observed, Warrior has been nerfed down and redesigned while Mage and BH received nothing but buffs. Mage and BH are going down a singular path — an emphasis on DPS. As for the Warrior, I foresee that Whirlwind would be a must skill loadout for Dual Wielding warriors no matter the task (story or trials). There's a lot of potentials and possibilities for a Shield Warrior now. Though DT has been nerfed, it's spammability would make up for it. I am thinking of a Deadly Throw, Shield Block, and Battle Rage skill combo for a shield warrior. DT + Shield Block DT proc + Shield Slam auto proc + BR + Rending Slash will guarantee a steady steam of DPS, perhaps even more than a dual wielder can afford. When Multi Strike stats comes out, it will definitely greatly benefit a proc-ky shielder.
                              HATO ZAKA LOCO 4594

Comment

Did I missed the part of defender set change with this update? I was hoping to see some love thrown at that set
                                GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Working...
                                X