The Broken Dragon encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Broken Dragon encounter

This encounter is flawed, seriously. The reason why I write this bug report is not an actual bug in the game as in the meaning that the game crashes or display errors occur, but a small gameplay detail that makes this trial boss unlikely to beat.

What detail?
    The dragon places hot lava spots on the ground in regular intervals. These spots make the character prone to fire damage, and grow stronger over time, thereby gaining the ability to inflict a severe fire dot on the character. So, if you're quick enough, simply step aside and nothing really happens (from these spots). But since I advanced to a somewhat higher trial (#132), the dragon is super strong by himself, so it happens that I die. Regularly. Often. Frustratingly often.

And, there is this flaw that nearly made me rage at my last attempt. A lava spot was casted, and I died right on top of it. No chance of getting away. You resurrect, you die instantly, as long as the spot is there. Unnecessary to mention, that you die right on the same spot again. So even if you have half the trial time left, you can abandon the trial, because it's simply not worth the anger.

The flaw that I see here is that it simply should not be the case that the character dies on an active spot. If there's a spot underneath, then move the character or kill the spot.
    MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Matrikor, Stalker BH, TL 141, Rank #77
    Matrikor, Stalker BH (Exp), TL 117
    Ruwiel, Exp Mage, TL 103
    Avit, Noob Warrior, TL 101

Mobile only

Oh I get it - you happen to resurrect right on top of the circle and die right away. That seems like bad luck anyways.... usually the resurrect button randomizes your spot a little bit so this does not happen. Anyways - the circles don't last forever, so if you could wait it out that would be another option. Don't most active boss effects go away on death; I thought they did...? If not, then that's probably a reasonable change request for the game.
    Overall, TBD is the hardest boss and you need to stack extra Vitality/LifeOnHit. TBD also happens to be kind of a 'ceiling' boss for trials - meaning if you can beat T132 you can probably also beat T133. (Same with Garm, if you can beat T134, you can probably beat T135). This seems to be the issue you are facing. You have finally gotten the damage and gear to do T131 well, but are not able to complete T132 due to TBD being a butthead. To beat him right now, you will probably need to add more Vit and Life on Hit, but to do that you will have to sacrifice the damage that allows you to beat T132 anyways (and some of the hard work you put in getting CL and gear). Don't worry, this is common problem and happens to everyone! You can feel better knowing that when you do down him you will probably be able to do to T133!
    If this happens in an ANB there are a few options. For instance, I hit a 'ceiling' in this last ANB and was not able to beat Garm (probably doesn't help I get 10FPS on my Laptop during Garm fight) - so instead I posted a much lower time against Elban instead of trying and failing to beat Garm again. Other than posting a much lower time on the T below the trouble boss, you will most likely need a gear upgrade or most CLs to pass it.
    It sounds like you're getting pretty high on the boards anyways, keep it up! My best direct advice would be: craft or find a gear upgrade, get more CLs, or try to somehow improve your run technique. (If you can find a way to post of video of one of your runs I bet people would love to give feedback.)
    Last edited by Terranisaur; 08-23-2019, 05:15 PM.
    Mainly Mobile, Mainly Mage
    Teran - CL2000

Comment

Originally posted by Terranisaur View Post
      usually the resurrect button randomizes your spot a little bit so this does not happen.
      It does that only, when you're within aggro range of the boss. If the character is outside of that range, the location doesn't get altered.

Anyways - the circles don't last forever, so if you could wait it out that would be another option.
      No, that's simply not an option, since time is crucial on this boss. Even if I don't die, I was not able to finish the trial in time until now.

Don't most active boss effects go away on death; I thought they did...?
      They actually do. But since the character is not moved from the spot, it instantly gets the DOT again and - y'know - dies. And this is what I call a bug.

It sounds like you're getting pretty high on the boards anyways, keep it up!
      Currently on rank #183 on the seasonal BH leaderboard (the character is still named "Morte" there since I asked for a rename... :-)

MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Ruwiel, Exp Mage, TL 103

Mobile only

Comment

Yeah 183 is pretty good! Instantly dying from a low-damage DOT isn't really a thing... I wonder if something else is going on. What are your Vit/ LoH/ Toughness/ Recovery stats?
        Teran - CL2000

Comment

That's the current setup (1,414,894 damage, 527,258 toughness, 98,391 recovery):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4558.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	146961

But I tried it with multiple different setup, changed gemstones as well as tried different combinations of companions....
          MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Ruwiel, Exp Mage, TL 103

Mobile only

Comment

Definitely needs more LOH. Also could benefit from some more Crit Rating. You can probably sacrifice some Power and Haste for that.

Also, if you want to avoid the lava pits, attack the dragon from close range. You'll probably get hit harder from Overflow, or whatever that fireball nova ring is called.
            Last edited by MarkHark; 08-23-2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I'm no BH expert, but I try to go for 2k LoH for my Mage. Your toughness is a bit deceptive from the 50% dodge... your actual life and LoH aren't as high as they seem is my guess. Not enough LoH still doesn't explain how you're getting 1 shot by a DoT, though.
              Teran - CL2000

Comment

Not enough LoH still doesn't explain how you're getting 1 shot by a DoT, though.
                Actually, TBD's DoT is quite strong, and it WILL kill you in 1-2 seconds, unless you can recover health fast enough. He's probably not getting one-shotted, it just feels like that when you die in a heartbeat after respawning. Your lifebar DOES go down very fast though.
                Last edited by MarkHark; 08-23-2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

The Broken Dragon is the most broken dragon in the game.

If you want to climb to the top of the LB with BH, you'll need about 700-900k toughness. For now, try running 500-600k toughness. That should make TL 132 reasonably manageable. I like to exclusively socket Diamonds on BH and roll vitality on one piece of jewelry and 2 or 3 pieces of armor. It got me past TL 141 with 1890 CL in this recent ANB.
                  Arcanist Mage: Muse, TL 145 in 9:30
                  ANB Gold 2 BH: Shade, Rank 21 - TL 122

For a list of guides I've created, click here

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHark View Post
                    He's probably not getting one-shotted, it just feels like that when you die in a heartbeat after respawning.
                    Nope, you're right, I'm not getting one-shottet, but my toon does not last significantly longer than a second after respawning. I made me a new ring to implement some of the changes y'all suggested yesterday. Now I got 1.298M damage, 704k toughness and 130k recovery. Gonna try out if that helps in any way... :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4559.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.4 KB ID:	147064
                    MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Ruwiel, Exp Mage, TL 103

Mobile only

Comment

I believe you'll notice a difference, but perhaps not a large enough one. I would trade a bit of that Vitality for more LOH. Fast recovery is more relevant against TBD's DoT than bulk HP.
                      Unless, of course, you manage to avoid the lava pits most of the time, in which case you should be fine with this setup.

Comment

Finally I managed to beat the trial... I might get me a beer upon that now. :-)

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	147111
                        MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Ruwiel, Exp Mage, TL 103

Mobile only

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Lamine View Post

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	147111
                          Now I understand why you were having difficulty with TL 132. You're running Stalker armor with the Igniter weapon set, and you're not bringing Piercing Ammo. Try swapping your weapons for the Shadow Assassin's weapon set, and swap Tracer Ammo with Piercing Ammo. Once you have done this, you'll definitely want to move Lethal Shot into the primary attack slot so that it is used when you activate Rapid Fire. If you make these changes, I'm sure you will rocket past the next 9 trial levels. Also, I personally prefer Smoke Screen rather than Magnetic Trap, but if you decide to make that change, you'll want to bring Eileen and at least 1 Maggie to pull enemies together with Vortex. Smoke Screen gives you 30% more DPS. It also makes you super hard to kill. I was having trouble with the Stalker build until I started running Smoke Screen instead of Magnetic Trap. Magnetic Trap builds up an enemies CC immunity meter too quickly. You can stun lock them longer by simply chaining Snipe if you don't bring Magnetic Trap.
                          Arcanist Mage: Muse, TL 145 in 9:30
                          ANB Gold 2 BH: Shade, Rank 21 - TL 122

For a list of guides I've created, click here

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Lamine View Post
                            What kinda build is that?

Also AS of 8? You got some gaming PC? Otherwise you are wasting stat points here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade Glow View Post
                              Try swapping your weapons for the Shadow Assassin's weapon set, and swap Tracer Ammo with Piercing Ammo. Once you have done this, you'll definitely want to move Lethal Shot into the primary attack slot so that it is used when you activate Rapid Fire. [...] Also, I personally prefer Smoke Screen rather than Magnetic Trap, but if you decide to make that change, you'll want to bring Eileen and at least 1 Maggie to pull enemies together with Vortex. Smoke Screen gives you 30% more DPS.

Well, I'll give it a try. I actually swapped MT for SS, but I am really having a hard time getting used to it. I switched in 2 healers for the vortex ability, but atm I can't really group enemies like I used to with MT, so I'm taking the mobs mostly group by group. IDK if this is the way it is with SS, but atm this is at least the way it is for me. :-D

Actual stats:

Name:	IMG_4565.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	147335

I was actually really lucky today with crafting the weapons. I got one lvl 71 IW with really nice dmg values for the somewhat low level, but I got a 74 Malice thereafter. Next thing I did was to sacrifice the chest piece of my exp mage to get the last CE needed to craft me a CT.... :-D

Name:	IMG_4563.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	147336
                              MAJA MIBA LEGE 4951

Ruwiel, Exp Mage, TL 103

Mobile only

Comment