50 murloc toads bugged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 murloc toads bugged?

Hey everyone, I received the quest for slaying 50 toads, but it does not show where the quest can be done(arrows pointing towards the gate) and then there is no quest sign. I tried doing a number of Trials in order to get to 50, but it does not help either. I am not sure if it is bugged or I am just plain stupid, but any advice/help is much appreciated here.

Originally posted by dedodekster View Post
    Hey everyone, I received the quest for slaying 50 toads, but it does not show where the quest can be done(arrows pointing towards the gate) and then there is no quest sign. I tried doing a number of Trials in order to get to 50, but it does not help either. I am not sure if it is bugged or I am just plain stupid, but any advice/help is much appreciated here.
    You do not say which version you are running but the version really does not matter. Go to Marcus's Village and run through the Merloks and repeat. Running through Marcus's Village twice will complete the Merlok Quest. This is the fastest path in v1.4.21 but also works in v1.4.16.

You do not have to complete the Merlok Quest with a specific story level but only by killing the specified quantity.
    My Eternium Data Files Can Be Found Here:

Eternium Files

Trial Level Unlock Updated: 2020-05-27
    All Hero Type Abilities Updated: 2020-05-02

Please let me know if you find any obsolete information or errors. I also welcome suggestions for presentation or content.

Comment

Hope you got your answer at Reddit

Comment

• Tin Man
        Tin Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Youtube and Instagram.

Originally posted by Tin Man View Post
      You do not have to complete the Merlok Quest with a specific story level but only by killing the specified quantity.
      I tried it and several were only injured or seriously maimed!

Comment

dedodekster Merlok toads are mainly at Marcus Village, 3rd story 1st world. The problem with this is that there are only about 30 toads in that story, therefore you almost always have to do 2 runs to complete quest. You can also complete toad quest by running Gauntlet, although you may still have to do 2 runs to complete.
        Originally posted by Tin Man View Post

In new version I've started to run Marcus Village to last batch of toads, killing them all as I go, then abandon and go right back in and do it again. Once I've hit 50 toads I abandon. You still get credit for that quest and can move on to another quest.

Comment

Originally posted by RockDoc View Post
          dedodekster Merlok toads are mainly at Marcus Village, 3rd story 1st world.
          The Defiler also will fill the "toad sticker" challenges, as there are other monsters than the few Merlok Toads visible on the Main Street which give the credit. (I have run it numerous times and accumulate additional "toad" credits in the graveyard, though no toads are shown.)

Comment

Yes, this is a bug. The new Story 'tutorial' quests are aimed at helping new players learn the game. Causing confusion like the OP experienced, due to lack of information in the quest description, is the opposite of the devs' clear intent -- thus, a bug.

Once you've completed this tutorial quest, it will become one of your possible 'daily' quests, and will pay out much better rewards, too. By then you'll know some other ways (as mentioned above) to find Merloks.

The devs, in their sadistic wisdom, still twist the knife in experienced players by randomizing your hero's spawn point in Marcus' Village. This causes any toads near your spawn to vanish from the level, so you will often need 3 runs to get your 50 Merloks. BTW, 'White Sisters' and some other elites count as toads, too, so Trials and levels like Siege of Anderhelm (SoA) are good alternatives once you're sick of running MV.

Edited to remove outdated info. The devs have fixed the bug/exploit that allowed surrogates to count towards Merlok kills. Tin Man posted below that he is no longer seeing this behavior in 1.4.20+, and having just received the quest, I can now confirm: only a Merlok is a Merlok.

As lmcelhiney mentioned, you can get a few (~7) in The Defiler, too.
            Last edited by ScabbyNuisance; 10-04-2019, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Out of the many 100s of time that I have run Marcus's Village, I have probably actually completed the level less than 10 times! (Bail early and often...)

Comment

ScabbyNuisance lmcelhiney

Your comments may not apply to v1.4.21. There have been at least some changes to what counts as a Merlok with the v1.4.21 beta that is out there. I used to be able to clear the Merlok quest by running The Gauntlet but am no longer able clear that way. I no longer know what, if anything, counts as a Merlok other than an actual Merlok with the latest beta.

Just a heads up.
                My Eternium Data Files Can Be Found Here:

Eternium Files

Trial Level Unlock Updated: 2020-05-27
                All Hero Type Abilities Updated: 2020-05-02

Please let me know if you find any obsolete information or errors. I also welcome suggestions for presentation or content.

Comment

• ScabbyNuisance
                  ScabbyNuisance commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, TM. Next time I launched the game, I got the Merlok quest from Morgan, so I tried some of the old reliable alternatives. Sure enough, no dice. Original post edited to reflect the new reality.

Now, if only the devs would come up with a different anti-botting approach than random spawn points. Or at least make it like trials, where they don't clear the immediate area of mobs; I doubt many heroes would end up getting one-shot by a squad of toads. They could also just cut the quota in half...

BTW, lmcelhiney 's comment re The Defiler is still correct, as those are 'real' Merloks. The 'Cleanse the Ponds' quest stayed active while I ran SoA and Defiler, after starting in Marcus' Village. I had the box ticked, 'Follow this quest', but more testing is needed to see if it would work the same regardless. I also forgot to test trials, but don't expect results there to be any different.
                  Last edited by ScabbyNuisance; 10-04-2019, 02:59 AM.

• Tin Man
                  Tin Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The devs obviously just do not want us to get bored and like to keep us guessing so as to not allow boredom to fester.
              Working...
              X