Typos, description errors, and other text mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typos, description errors, and other text mistakes

I didnt see a dedicated thread for this, so i figured i would start one.

First examples that i can think of off the top:

1.) Anderra, story mode: hero says, "what has 'posessed' this farm equipment to guard the apples." Or something like that... the word should be "possessed."

2.) Rylocke's Deflector, item description: says level 71 legendary "cape"... it should be "shield"

There are a few other small errors in the dialogue in story mode but i cant think of any others at the moment... if i run across them, i will keep posting them here. Will you all help me out?

In the going with the flow level, after the hero checks one of the tanks (the third of the sequence) he/she says something about hallucenogenics and then says, "provenance: the seeds of life 'instalation'."

That should say, "installation"
    Last edited by Beercules; 12-26-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Also, the levanian gardens - this is not really a direct typo or error in the text as much as it is a conceptual error... the hero says something like, "what are you? A plant or an animal?"

At the hazard of our hero sounding a bit daft, that should probably say, "what sort of being are you?" Considering that animal life is defined by movement, in part. While there are of course examples of animals that lack motility, it is a very very rare characteristic

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
        2.) Rylocke's Deflector, item description: says level 71 legendary "cape"... it should be "shield"
        It's been like that forever, it's known and is a common gag in community. Let it be like that
        Last edited by ShotDead; 12-22-2020, 07:22 AM. Reason: misspelled in a thread about spelling mistakes; ironic

Comment

• Beercules
          Beercules commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha, i see. I,d argue that correcting the mistake makes the game more professional while still making the inside joke even more exclusive!

I have one: it really bothers me that resistance is misspelled resistence in the quest dialog for breaking the resistance, and in the title of the quest.
        I also wonder if the Gorillian Browlers are supposed to be Brawlers.

Comment

• LodWig
          LodWig commented
          Editing a comment
          I checked, it’s “brothers” for me

• Beercules
          Beercules commented
          Editing a comment
          MightyPen can you confirm where you saw "browlers"? The daily quest definitely says "brothers" but i remember seeing "browlers" somewhere as well... its either is the intro to that level or in the enemy name in the health bar or something like that... i will try to find a screen to snap and add it here
          Last edited by Beercules; 12-26-2020, 11:23 AM.

• MightyPen
          MightyPen commented
          Editing a comment
          It's in the enemy health bar. I've been trying to get a screen capture, but I can only find the higher Gorillians, like Chargers. The Browler is the base level.

Came across one today. Completed the quest Vandalism on the Streets, and Ingrid said this:

Comment

worst? is there something wrong with this word?

correct me if i'm wrong. well English is not my mother tongue.
          Worst is what is known as a superlative adjective. A superlative adjective is used when you compare three or more things with. For example: .

"Out of The exorcist, Mighty Pen and ShotDead. The exorcist has the "worst" score
          Honest playin with Low end Pc

New 2 "Goldly Hero" systematically runnin the 5 Star Story Mode (i need sufficient "Gems" for next War Supply Event & ANB's)

Comment

• Beercules
            Beercules commented
            Editing a comment
            There is certainly nothing wrong with the word "worst" ... and, you are using it correctly. The correct usage for the dialogue in the quest would be "there is nothing 'worse'..." it would be the same with better when using a comparison. Such as "the exorcist is the best. There is no one better than the exorcist."

• Sistersalvation
            Sistersalvation commented
            Editing a comment
            It is "worse" because two things are being compared: 1) vandalism and destruction of property (as a single item/group) and 2) nothing.

Your example sentence and general understanding of worse vs. worst is correct. However, it gets tricky because multiple items ("two players") or a list of things, as a whole, ("vandalism and destruction of property"), can be a single object.

So, "Out of TheExorcist, MightyPen, and ShotDead, TheExorcist has the worst score" is correct, since we are saying this specific one out of these three is the worst.

But, it would be "TheExorcist had a worse score than MightyPen and ShotDead," or even "SisterSalvation had a worse score than TheExorcist, MightyPen, and ShotDead," since then we are saying that one is worse than the others, with "the others" being a single item/group.

You can also just use this shortcut: If the sentence uses "than," in it, it's comparing two things--so we use worse.

I hope that makes sense--and sorry for the long post, I'm (obviously) a little bit of a grammar nerd.
            Last edited by Sistersalvation; 12-22-2020, 07:21 PM. Reason: Edits for clarity.

A couple minor ones: in the intro to scartree hold - "to construct their settlements undergrounds" = underground should be singular there.

In the intro to the catacombs - "sivari fled in the catacombs" should read either sivari fled "to" or "into" the catacombs
          Attached Files

Comment

Punctuation error: this should say "minotaurs' savage attacks" with an apostrophe.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Beercules; 01-05-2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Sistersalvation
              Sistersalvation commented
              Editing a comment
              Unless they mean multiple Minotaurs, in which case, it should be Minotaurs' (I don't remember whether there was a singular Minotaur character--it's a race, right?).

Blood crazed should be blood-crazed.

• Beercules
              Beercules commented
              Editing a comment
              Touché, good catch... i think you are right and i will edit my post

Should be "abilites 'are'..." not "is".
            Attached Files

Comment

• MightyPen
              MightyPen commented
              Editing a comment
              I think this one comes from the way the game is coded. It may be in the format "ATTRIBUTE is increased by ## PERCENT" It works for Damage, Power, etc. What they could do is change abilities to ability to make it fit better. Sounds better to me, too.

Here are a couple--a little nitpicky, I admit. (Also, sorry for the novel-length grammar lesson. I do a lot of editing for work & am a grammar nerd in general.)

Talking to Liana:

Under "What do we really know about Ragadam's plan?"
            • "For now, you know as much as we know." would read better as "For now, you know as much as we do."
            • "Every task that I ask you to complete is for the greater good, be reassured of that champion." should be "Every task that I ask you to complete is for the greater good. Be reassured of that, Champion." So the sentence:
              • should be broken into two sentences
              • needs a comma before "champion."
              • Champion should be capitalized for consistency (as Mage is in other parts of Liana's dialog. I think Gornathan refers to the hero as Champion--capitalized--at some point, as well.)
            Under "Tell me about yourself, Liana."
            • "...capable to aid us to win the conflict against Ragadam." should be "...capable of aiding us in winning the conflict against Ragadam."
              • "Capable to" is incorrect. It should be capable of + gerund: capable of aiding.
              • Aid is a verb in this sentence, so the correct preposition is "in" (+ gerund): aiding us in winning.
                • "Aid to/from" is only used when aid is a noun: you give aid to the Anderran Secret Service or receive aid from the mage.

Comment

Sistersalvation What is your opinion about this one (which has been bothering me, but i wasnt sure about adding it here or not​​​​​​​):

In severed mountain -> morgoth's dialogue at the very end -> after he says something like 'i will not be defeated, weakling. I am going to anderhelm.' -> he then says, "Come there, if you dare."

That one gets under my skin, somehow. He should be saying either "meet me there" or "go there." 'Come there' just sounds all wrong...

Comment

• Beercules
                Beercules commented
                Editing a comment
                Well put!

• MightyPen
                MightyPen commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm a writer (Buy my Book!) and I believe "come there" is correct. It's as if someone at work said, "Come to my house for coffee." They aren't at home NOW, but they're inviting you to a place where they will be. They wouldn't say, "Go to my house for coffee." Same with Mogroth.

• Beercules
                Beercules commented
                Editing a comment
                I was giving this one more thought, as well. And i even played through severed mountain to see just what he says... at the end he says "i'll wait for you in anderhelm, weakling. Come there, if you dare."

The usage of come signifies moving toward someone or something. Just as go signifies moving away from someone or something. Come there feels like as much of a contradiction as saying "go here."

Even so, morgoth says 'i will wait for you,' potentially meaning that he hasnt arrived yet... if so, come here would not work as well as go there or meet me there...

BUT the whole thing can be avoided by simply removing the 'there.' Saying, "come, if you dare" flows nicely and gives the connotation of the usage of a more archaic type of dialect, if-eth that pleaseth thou. Haha

Better yet, he should just say, "come at me, bro! If you dare." Lol
                Last edited by Beercules; 01-07-2021, 04:49 PM.

Did anyone mention "double XP" in ANB yet??

Comment

• Beercules
                Beercules commented
                Editing a comment
                No, i dont think so. But, i dont follow... what would be the error in that case?

• Stusmith50
                Stusmith50 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a 50 % bonus. Next time you start a new character hit the first mob with floating numbers switch on. You'll see you get 4 XP. On first level of ANB you get 6 XP. 4*2=6 ?? Really!

• Beercules
                Beercules commented
                Editing a comment
                Ooohhh, i see. Yes, definitely a description error!

Some of the buff descriptions are pulling right out of the code... or there is broken or non existant aliases or something. "talisman_of_storms" and "in_the_zone_dmg_buff" and maybe others?
              Attached Files

Comment

Small punctuation error: there should be a comma between "water" and "we" in the first sentence.

Also, saying "river's water" is not technically wrong but, it doesnt sound natural either. It should likely just be a simple adjective instead of a possessive noun, "after drinking the 'river water'"
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X