Can't move, can't click on NPCs -Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't move, can't click on NPCs -Windows

I've encountered this at least 3 times playing on Windows: In the middle of a trial my character will suddenly not be able to move. I'll click a spot of open ground... and nothing. It happens very abruptly mid-trial, and once I inevitably have to quit the trial because my character is frozen I'll be able to move around town but not click on anything: I'll try to click the NPCs and nothing happens, I'll click the arena and nothing happens. The only solution I've found is to close the game and restart it, but since it keeps happening this isn't really a solution. Very annoying when I'm trying to push a high trial for the season leaderboard and this has happened in 2 of my last 3 runs on 150.

Edit: This has happened 3 more times since I posted this... definitely a reoccurring problem...
    Last edited by Splendor; 02-08-2021, 04:35 AM.

This sounds like an old bug caused by mashing mouse buttons. You can un-freeze it by clicking on the inventory icon. You can read about the bug by searching the forum for "mashing".

Comment

Ok, thanks Travis, that makes sense since it only seems to happen during long trial runs after I've done a lot of clicking. I haven't had the issue with short runs with my exp character.

Comment

Well, I've read through the old threads on this topic and tried the proposed "solutions", but some don't work at all (like clicking on the inventory or settings, this doesn't fix the problem), and the only one that sometimes seems to work (holding and releasing right-click followed by holding and releasing left-click) is impossible to do without dying. I guess I'll just have to hang my hat on trial 151 and consider myself lucky that I enjoyed a freeze free run to get through it. 4 out of 4 runs today on 152 ran into this issue before the trial was even half over. Disappointing to put so much work into building a strong character only to be hamstrung by an issue like this. Maybe it's time for a new game.
        Last edited by Splendor; 02-10-2021, 03:51 AM.

Comment

I imagine this is why I crash so often during Trials and also Jewelry crafting. No big deal during Jewelry crafting, it's usually while I'm deleting a page full of crap, or loading a page full of new soon to be crap, which makes sense now! However I tend to manhandle my poor mouse when I panic, which is now pretty much constantly in Trials since the post-beta mob changes, the Mag Trap nerf and the inability to keep your toon standing in one place lol. I just assume that I will lose at least 10% of my ANB timer once I start pushing exclusively, which obviously sucks, but it's saved me from failing to get where I need in the long run.

--Edit-- It may be possible to limit the number of inputs/second you can make with your mouse software, via a minimum millisecond delay buffer. I may have to check that out. I can still mangle my hands and mouse that way, and the game itself won't feel abused.
          Last edited by DethStrike; 02-10-2021, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• DethStrike
            DethStrike commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd just have to remember to disable that setting before playing 7D2D, Empyrion, Rust, Tarkov.... well any game that's not Civilization or similarly turn based. Oh Eternium, always keeping us in suspense.
        Working...
        X