Lower FPS on steam version compared to microsoft version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower FPS on steam version compared to microsoft version

Hello, I started Eternium on mobile version then quickly switched to steam after I found out there was a steam version.

The moment I started playing on steam version, I noticed bad fps rating (~20), tried to change terrain resolution, game resolution, view distance, etc. to no effect. so I assumed that it was duo to different port and tried to adapt to the situation.

Until recently that I noticed from youtube videos and reddit posts that not only the PC version should not have lower fps, it mostly has higher fps!

So I though maybe there's something wrong with the steam version, tried the microsoft version and voila, 60+ fps even during full action trials. but there's one BIG problem for me here, the microsoft version does not have PC HUD, which I absolutely can't play without.

So my question here is, is there anyway I can fix my steam version OR have pc hud for my microsoft version?

Any solution or help is greatly appreciated.

P.S 1: "maybe" the problem is duo to my laptop having a 4k screen, but I always set my games at 2k resolution because I get lower fps at 4k reso. (GTX 970m graphics driver)
    P.S 2: yes, I've tried changing resolution in steam version, but it does not actually work. (the number changes but there's no effect)

I'll ask the devs why there may be differences between the Steam and M$ versions. I've suggested adding the PC HUD to the M$ version in the past - TBH, I'm not sure why there's any difference in the game versions (aside from store stuff).

One question: Why can't you play without the PC HUD? Is it a "can't" situation, or a "don't want to" situation?

Comment

Hey, Thanks for replying to my message! and thanks for relaying the situation.

About your question, it is a mix between "I can't" and "I don't want to" situation, my mind has gotten used to seeing ability bars and cooldowns on the bottom of the screen over the years (from different games, examples are obvious).

I tried to adapt to the M$ version HUD for several hours in a hope that I could get used to it, but in the end, I prefer playing steam version (even with 20 fps!) over the 60 fps M$ version.

If I could have 60 fps and PC HUD, then that would be golden.

Comment

Mine runs at 60 FPS in Steam, so something is going on with your setup. Are your graphics drivers up to date?

Comment

Yes, my drivers are up to date, I use my laptop to play other games which are many times more demanding than Eternium.

I also made sure that both steam version and microsoft version use my primary graphics card and not the integrated card.

I'm still confused as to why such a huge fps difference is present in my steam version compared to the same game on another port.

Comment

• Travis | Support Mgr.
            Travis | Support Mgr. commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you notice a spike in CPU usage or anything when you play Eternium (more so than other games)? Do you hear your fans kick up or anything?

Shot in the dark: when you open the mobile version of the game, do you have the framerate limiter on in the game settings? I'm wondering if that setting is following your profile to Steam (but not MS for some reason).

Originally posted by Travis | Support Mgr. View Post
          I'll ask the devs why there may be differences between the Steam and M$ versions. I've suggested adding the PC HUD to the M$ version in the past - TBH,
          The funny thing is that the HUD was first introduced in the Windows version before the Steam version even publicly existed. The HUD was only on the Windows version which made the display inconsistent with every other platform. The HUD takes up valuable vertical real estate and many players hated it. The uproar was sufficient that the version was quickly retracted only to raise its head again in Steam. At least they allow turning off the HUD. Is obnoxious that the HUD covers up the Event Timer among other things.

The interesting thing is that MhSIlver started on mobile before switching to Steam after finding the Steam version.

Comment

• MhSilver
            MhSilver commented
            Editing a comment
            Well I understand other people preferring the "default" HUD, because many players have played on mobile for many hours and got used to it. or maybe they just like it that way.

Maybe it's because I played too much WoW, PoE, etc. I have a habit of looking at my cooldowns at the bottom of the screen xd

1st day into playing Eternium, got a mail saying there was a steam version, with glory and cape reward, so win-win situation for me (I prefer playing with my laptop)

• Tin Man
            Tin Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I understand why you and others prefer the HUD interface. I was just reminding that the HUD was previously on the Windows version back around 18-24 months ago.

Nope, no spikes in CPU usage whatsoever.

My fps is not capped or anything, it shoots up to 43 fps in mission select menu, is around ~28 in home town and is between 18-33 in trials. nonetheless, checked my phone settings and framework cap was set to OFF. (also I turned multi-core settings ON, but no effect on steam version)

I may have found the culprit here actually, you see, my laptop has 4k screen, but is not powerful enough to support games in 4k, so I set the game resolution to 2k (1920*1080), but as I said before, Eternium's settings resolution has no effect, it doesn't change anything when you change it; and the microsoft version does not have this setting at atll!

The thing is, even when I set my desktop display settings to 1920*1080, Eternium settings is still stuck at 4k and I can't change it! even if I turn the Fullscreen OFF, nothing changes that indicates that the resolution got reduced or anything.

Meaning that I get the same "quality" whether my display settings are at 2k or 4k, So I assume that steam Eternium stays at 4k no matter what.

Comment

• Travis | Support Mgr.
            Travis | Support Mgr. commented
            Editing a comment
            It sounds like a tweak needs to be made on the back end. I'll let the guys know, but it'll be lower on the list priorities.

• MhSilver
            MhSilver commented
            Editing a comment
            Much appreciated.
        Working...
        X