Eternium
Eternium

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto-attack doesn't resume after moving -- Anyone else running into this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-attack doesn't resume after moving -- Anyone else running into this?

Hello all,

Not sure if this is unique to the class I'm playing (BH / Bounty Hunter), or if warriors and mages experience it as well, but it's really detracting from the quality of gameplay and it's been going on for quite some time now, so I see the need to post a whine about it especially since I see nothing anywhere else in forums about it. Not sure if it's because I'm on through Steam, but it could be something to do with it. That said, I've tried removing Steam and playing straight through, but I still run into this problem, so I don't think it's unique to Steam...

I've noticed that when I move my character in combat, my auto-attack doesn't resume as I think it should (having watched a few videos of players on other platforms with no such difficulty). I have the check-box selected for this in settings (both to resume after moving, and to start after casting), and given that sometimes (quite often, in fact) the BH just wants to run into a crowd when you click on one of them to re-initiate an attack which should have continued, I just wind up dead many more times than I believe I should. This happens against individual mobs, packs, and even bosses, which is particularly painful against Garm, due to his attack speed, damage, etc...

So, I'd be very grateful if someone could look into this. I'm playing on PC, with Windows 10, through Steam, using mouse and keyboard, with most settings set to lowest possible for hopefully best possible performance (frame rate varies between 60 and 20 depending on what, and how many enemies I'm fighting. One slight work-around I find helps at times, but still not often enough, is to hold down the <shift> key when attacking, so I don't go thinking I'm a warrior and run right into a big group that can and will easily kill me. Is anyone else having this problem?

Before a more competent player answers, coming from a mobile mage, no BH steam experience whatsoever, maybe just a few points (consider with caution though):
    * an attack will only be resumed if the hero was actually attacking using one of the basic attacks just before the interruption (cast\movement) and the foe(s) , even within a mob that was(were) attacked is (are) still alive hence attackable.
    * auto attack is often responsible for the suicide mob runs, at least for mage\mobile. Example: mage auto resumes Arc Lightning attack on a mob.....BUT even though it is a ranged attack it needs a certain minimal distance to foe AND that locked foe may not be in a front of the mob position anymore, but maybe furthest away from you inside that mob....SO... hero will run to get within attack distance of that foe and hence run towards the mob, which may then suck him in, before the actually resumed auto attack, arc lightning, is visible or has time to proc
    ​​​​​​
    Backyard FireLily (gloriosa superba)
    [ BrokenGarm , LenniGold , LenniXP ]

Comment

I would also consider this a flaw of the auto attack.
      Expected behavior is, if the mob is still alive and out of range, before moving towards it to check for other mobs in shooting range and retarget towards them if they exist.

Comment

Yes that would be nice.....perfect day in a perfect world....

In the meantime , I zuppose everyone finds their personal preferences according to class, gear, foe and battleground.

E.g. (just an example) mobile Warrior _ always on.
        Mage _ Goldfarming off (companions also off), ​​higher trials off in mob phase but on for the bosses except Kara and Keeper Garm

Backyard FireLily (gloriosa superba)
        [ BrokenGarm , LenniGold , LenniXP ]

Comment

I agree with Bali_Lenni. When auto attack is engaged, your BH is essentially tied to the last enemy that you were actively attacking before moving or casting [which could now be on the opposite side of the mob]. As a result, the auto attack feature will often pull your hero into a suicide run through the mob after you move or cast as it seeks to re-engage with the last known target, unless that target is killed by the attack that you cast. If the target is killed then auto attack will not reengage, even if you are surrounded by large mobs, since auto attack was only tied to that one target. It is mostly useful on the boss fights, since you want to keep engaged with the boss while moving and casting. However, once you get the hang of re-targeting a closer enemy before moving or casting, you can avoid the suicide runs. It just takes practice. Round up your mob, then fire at new target in that mob [preferably on the side closest to your hero], cast your attack, and then be ready to re-target in case your original target is killed and to move in case the target survived since they will counterattack almost immediately. Happy hunting!
          Last edited by Ozymandius; 02-09-2023, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I know all of that, but what I had said was that it doesn't resume when I'm attacking the same enemy. This even (or more aptly, often) happens in boss fights, such as against Garm, as I had also said in my original post. I'll be standing there, auto-attacking, knowing his attack will come and I have to move... I'll move a short distance to avoid being hit by his attack, and I'll just be standing there like I have nothing to do, while he's getting ready for his next attack. By the time I reengage him, I'm a sitting duck for his attack, and he kills me, then it's rinse and repeat. It shouldn't just drop the auto-attack like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc View Post
              Yeah, I know all of that, but what I had said was that it doesn't resume when I'm attacking the same enemy. This even (or more aptly, often) happens in boss fights, such as against Garm, as I had also said in my original post. I'll be standing there, auto-attacking, knowing his attack will come and I have to move... I'll move a short distance to avoid being hit by his attack, and I'll just be standing there like I have nothing to do, while he's getting ready for his next attack. By the time I reengage him, I'm a sitting duck for his attack, and he kills me, then it's rinse and repeat. It shouldn't just drop the auto-attack like that.
              That might be unique to the Bounty hunter, or very rare for the other classes. I actually also saw it happen recently while doing random story levels with BH, whereas I haven't seen anything like that with my other heroes that are mages.

Comment

• Bali_Lenni
                Bali_Lenni commented
                Editing a comment
                Do some bosses (Elban) and maybe even some elites have a disengage from attack ability ¿ could this be cause , or nothing to do with it ? Was always wondering about that....

If it makes you feel better, I ran into the same issue where my BH hero did not reengage during boss fights during the recent ANB event. There is definitely some sort of glitch or bug in the auto engage feature (i.e., it is not working the way it is supposed to work). For me, it happened while pushing at the end of the event where the boss fights are longer. I did not notice it during farming runs.

Comment

This bug/glitch has been around for awhile.
                “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” – Japanese proverb

Comment

Working...
                X