Don't punish people for agreeing to be Beta Testers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't punish people for agreeing to be Beta Testers

I have no chance at this season event, getting in the top 1000, something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm stuck at 1087 because I can't play on PC. The idea of having a version that won't play on all platforms is bizarre and ridiculous. This is bs and certainly the last time I'll agree to be a beta tester for you guys.

Originally posted by Pedroloco View Post
    I'm stuck at 1087 because I can't play on PC.
    That has always been the case with betas and will be the same in future. There is also a bit of risk involved with everything going wrong and the loss(es) may be unrecoverable. I think most of us signed up for beta knowing this.

Comment

• Travis | Support Mgr.
      Travis | Support Mgr. commented
      Editing a comment
      ^This^. That's the nature of beta - putting your personal progress aside to help us make a better game. A lot of players run a separate "personal" account to avoid this scenario.

• MarkHark
      MarkHark commented
      Editing a comment
      Travis, what's the official stance on creating separate accounts for the purpose of beta testing or personal research? Not for competition purposes, for sure. A recent post in another thread brought to my attention that the EULA mentions we're only allowed a single account per user.

• Ozymandius
      Ozymandius commented
      Editing a comment
      After reading the warning posts, I set up a separate account just for beta testing. I am still running my other account separately on the old version on both iPhone and PC. Since I had already maxed out the Season 1 gems and gold, I didn't want to put my rewards at risk. Also, the early reports suggested that the new update is set up for starting a new character, and I do not have any empty character slots on my existing account. My beta test account is just that to test the new update. I am still at level 53, so no chance of being competitive...

Sorry that this is affecting you...

I don't have a PC, so I am forced to play on mobile. Although the game design should work equivalently on all platforms, there will always be individual differences. Personally, I am disappointed that there is not a version of Eternium for Linux.

Comment

The whole idea of Beta Testing is to sacrifice something to make something better. Sometimes that can be your entire progress up to date. Something that has happened to me on numerous times. That said, you have to take the rough with the smooth. Sometimes in beta you benefit from errors and unfinished antics as well.

However I do feel your pain with regards to reaching a goal in the leaderboard. Due to being constantly on the move, I only play on mobile only. For a long time I maintained a top 100 slot on the leaderboard. Now, I can not beat TL134, 5 months of not being able to beat that stupid dragon (garm). Turbo frustrating and beta is distracting me at the moment from farming mats (need lv75 kit). Too busy testing each level / trail / challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man

There is a very blunt warning that you will not be able to play on platforms other than Android before you update your profile, if required, for the beta. This might only occur if you have played on platforms other than Android.

That said? There are lots of players that get into the Top 1000 without playing on PC or even iOS. Not being able to crack Top 1000 probably has more to do with something around play style or equipment than the platform you play on. The Top 1000 thresholds are:
        • Bounty Hunters - TL 120
        • Mages - TL 115
        • Warriors - Tl 116

So a simple question is what class are you pushing and what TL wall are you hitting? I was stuck for the longest until I modified play style and strategy.

Hope this food for thought helps.
        I am playing Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet

Bounty Hunter - TL 131
        Rank - 376
        CL - 1563

Comment

Originally posted by gzilla View Post

I am playing Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet

Bounty Hunter - TL 131
          Rank - 376
          CL - 1563
          BH
          TL 141
          Rank - Dunno
          CL - 1990

Comment

Pedroloco I don't feel like I'm being punished as a beta tester when I agreed to their warning that there could be problems. I like to think most of the beta testers are more interested in seeing what's coming down the pike with new versions and helping to identify any bugs that can be fixed, rather than being concerned about LB or CL ranking. It's also less stressful if you are more interested in seeing what's new than chasing a LB standing.

I remember reading about some beta testers in earlier versions who really pushed their heros to new high trial levels in beta with newly amped up gear. When new version went full release some of the gear was nerfed, and LB listings were reset but previous level and completion times were not. As a result they couldn't get listed on new LB despite having better completion times than other players on LB at same TL because their new times weren't faster than their beta times. I think some may still be trying to beat their beta times.

My beta hero is presently at CL180 and has managed a respectable position of 21,227 out of 82,027 on warrior LB, having cleared T50 in 5:32. Instead of pushing to get higher on LB or CL ranking I've been looking at bugs identified by others and slowly advancing and documenting the exp needed to advance every hero level from 0 to 70, and then from CL1 up to CL180 (so far). It is unlikely that my hero will ever get to CL 500 or even in top 10,000 before beta goes alpha as I'll stop fighting mid-battle to record each new level change and associated exp pts. In fact my hero has died multiple times by me doing just that. I specifically did not convert my main account to beta in case there were problems that could affect my main account heros or the gold, gems, or gear in that account. Consequently, I don't care if something happens to beta hero, the gems, gold or anything else associated with account. It is strictly for test playing and is temporary. No money spent or invested, no money lost or gained, just time and if I'm playing a game it's just not that important wrt RL.

Also, advancing has nothing to do with platform. It is a function of how much you play, your abilities and how well you play those abilities. It also is designed to get harder by requiring more exp pts with each level you advance. BTW, there are quite a few mobile only players who are in top 100, let alone top 1000.

What is your CL? What is your hero, what are their abilities and what gear are you using? All you need to do is ask for suggestions on how to get past your current roadblock by letting the forum know some basic information about your hero, their gear and abilities. You will get excellent assistance without having to cry foul against game and its devs. Be betta and don't bash the beta.

Comment

• ScabbyNuisance
              ScabbyNuisance commented
              Editing a comment
              As a fellow beta tester, I just wanted to say I appreciate the work you, Tin Man, Nhat and others have been doing to help make this great game even better. It's fun, but it really IS a lot of work. My game time has been limited lately, and testing takes up 90%+ of it.

Also, that's good advice re risks of beta testing. I'm using my one and only account, as I thought it would just be too much bother if I started another one; I've been lucky so far, but will be making a testing account after this round ends.

Tin Man, you said v1.4.23 has dropped, but my version which I just started still shows 1.4.21. Guess I need to prompt game to update. More rabbit holes to explore.

Edit: just went to play store to see about update. Showed I was playing older beta version, but not in beta program. Joined beta, again. I'll see if it updates or not.

edit 2: got upgraded to v1.4.23. Let's see what's new.
            Last edited by RockDoc; 10-05-2019, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Tin Man, CL801!!! Dude, you just blew my doors off as I putt along at CL187.
              I presume you'll be filling in all the 800-1000 levels as you climb the trials ladder, if you can write that fast.

Comment

Let me just conclude this by saying that we do beta testing coz we like doing it not coz someone shove it down our throat. You can always opt out of beta if you don't like taking the risk. Me, I like to live dangerously.

Comment

• MarkHark
                  MarkHark commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ... as suggested by the name and avatar both.

Well like I said, I'm not gonna be doing beta anymore. I'm a player, not a part of the dev team. It really shouldn't be leaving us unable to play on our platform of choice or be given a competitive disadvantage unless fully informed. Yes it gives some warning, but that's never been a problem before. If it's not being released on all platforms it should carry a certain and explicit warning.

Comment

If it's not being released on all platforms it should carry a certain and explicit warning.
                  ...it did. You were shown a warning that literally said "if you upgrade your profile, it will be unavailable on other platforms until the beta build is promoted live." The button to agree even had a 5 second a timer on it, so you had time to read what you're agreeing to (but I'm guessing you didn't).

Comment

I'm a player, not a part of the dev team.
                    (All Beta testers are a part of the development team.)

It is difficult to wait until a new version is vetted and released, but that is what we must do if we choose not to deal with the double-edged sword named Beta.

Comment

Yes it gives some warning,
                      it should carry a certain and explicit warning.
                      You're contradicting yourself

Comment

Working...
                      X