So You Want to be a Mage...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So You Want to be a Mage...

First of all- Congratulations! Mage is; in my completely honest, un-biased (don't look at my signature) opinion, the most fun hero to use. Especially when it comes to trials. The combination of kiting, mob control tactics and by-the-seat-of-your-pants improvisation needed to excel at mage game play makes it a rewarding and worthwhile hero to push to it's current, pre-beta, limits. For the purposes of this post, I'll deal with pre Act4 beta game play. Changes are a-comin' though, so noob-mages be warned- what you are about to read could be completely worthless very shortly...

(LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLONG post warning...)

(I have written a more formal and thorough treatment for a mage guide here.)

IN THE BEGINNING...

Our story begins on the Shores of Hope. You will be slow, weak and that's how it should be. There are a plethora of character stats that will make your head spin and you'll want to know what they mean, how far they can go and which ones matter for your mage. But FEAR NOT! For I can tell you with 100% certainty that NONE OF IT MATTERS RIGHT NOW. Progress through the acts, collect some equipment, level up your mage (this will happen quicker than you expect) and enjoy the ride.

That's not to say there aren't things you can keep an eye on. In particular, the various attacks, skills and passive abilities that you unlock as your mage levels can make a difference in your progress. If you don't want to be the GOAT mage, then have fun trying out all the different attacks and combinations. You can go with a frost mage, making use of all the icy skills, or you if you like it hot go ahead and burn Ragadam's rule to the ground with immolate and fireball your way to story glory. Perhaps you can be the first to figure out an effective way to use Time Warp or Arcane Deflection.

If, however, you wish to top the trials leaderboard, there are 10 skills you will be interested in: Arc Lightning and Arcane Bolts for primary attacks; Blizzard, Blink and Singularity for your secondary abilities; Celerity, Glass Canon and Power Infusion for your passive abilities. Eagle eyed readers will notice I only listed 8 but said there are 10. I mentioned those 8 because those are the skills/abilities you will use in your character skill slots. The 9th and 10th skills you will need to upgrade are Immolate and Fleet Footed. More on those in a bit.

As you are leveling up these abilities, you will also be increasing something called "Synergy." This can be seen under your character name on the skills page. The short of it is, every 10 completed skill upgrades, you get synergy bonuses to Vitality (health points), Ability Rating(reduces the secondary skill cooldown timer), and Attack Speed(self-explanatory I think). A little trick I picked up along the way is to use the short upgrade time of low-level, unused skills to boost your synergy level. Once your used skills are taking 3-hours to upgrade, consider upgrading unused skills to quickly level up your synergy to a mod-10 level before resuming upgrade of your used skills.

GEAR and JEWELRY

When it comes to mage gear there are random pieces and set pieces. The set pieces give various kinds of ability or attribute bonuses based on the number of pieces of that gear you have equipped. As a result, set-piece gear is quite important for making your life easier during gameplay. For mage, there are 3 gear sets- Adventurers, Arcanist and Apprentice. Of these Arcanist and Apprentice are far superior and for topping the leaderboard only Apprentice will do. As you gather gear, it's worth getting the full 6 piece bonuses for either Arcanist or Apprentice as opposed to constantly breaking the set because any 1 random individual piece has better stats than the corresponding set piece. This is particularly the case with Apprentice.

Set Gear

I am skipping the Adventurer gear here, because it's bonuses really aren't very good. They are basically attribute bonuses to Haste , Critical Rating and a 3rd one that escapes me. Adventurer is fine for story mode if you happen to get it quickly but you'll want to trade it out ASAP for either of the next 2 sets.

The set bonuses for Arcanist are as follows:
    • 2 Pieces- +210 Haste. This isn't bad, as it directly affects your attack speed. In early game play, this is a significant bump. In later game play when pushing for the top of the trial LB, it is fairly insignificant.
    • 4 Pieces- Arcane Bolts fires 4 extra missiles. This is a really nice bonus, increasing the number of bolts by 66%. For beating trial bosses, particularly, this is really effective.
    • 6 Pieces- 10% chance for an extra attack. This seems like a minor thing, but in actuality it is not. As your attack speed increases, this proc will occur fairly regularly and, theoretically, give a 10% increase to damage. Considering one of the most favored mage weapons also provides this same bonus, do not take it lightly.
    The set bonuses for Apprentice are as follows:
    • 2 pieces- 25% chance for a protective shield when attacking. This shield, especially at higher trials, is the difference between life and death for a mage. With sufficiently high attack speed, it will basically remain active as long as you are continuously attacking.
    • 4 pieces- +210 Critical Rating. Again, not bad. Critical rating is important later and anyway you can get it is good. In reality, this is swamped by contributions from gear and jewelry.
    • 6 pieces- 10% chance to cast Immolate on target when attacking. THIS bonus is what sets Apprentice apart from Arcanist. It cannot be overstated how much extra damage Immolate procs provide, especially in a trial where clear times are of the essence. I stated earlier that you will want to upgrade your Immolate ability. This set bonus is why.
    Named Weapons/ Gear

Not all weapons are created equally. For mage, always pay close attention to the raw Damage range for a weapon. The best way to compare is to add the high and low of the range and divide by 2 to get an average. Different weapon types have different ranges so this will give you a good way to compare. This is more important later in the game because all of your skills relate back to weapon damage and are expressed as a percentage of that damage. So clearly, the higher the better.

Within the range of weapons, 2 stand out above the others: the Mukraiser and the Deidre's Resolve. Both provide a bonus ability which makes them very much worth prioritizing over other weapons. The Muk will summon Merlok archers while the Deidre's provides a chance for an extra attack. Especially once you hit level 70, look for these 2 weapons. A 3rd named weapon exists, called Elban's Scepter. It provides a chance to summon a skeleton warrior every time an enemy dies. Personally, I think it pales in comparison to the previously to mentioned weapons. But you might find it preferable to the random weapon you're currently using. If you want some math, check out this thread for a deeper discussion of these weapons.

There are also 2 named capes: the Integralas Mantle and the Carnival Cape. Either of these is preferable to any random cape, but of the 2, for a mage, the Integralas Mantle is far and away the more valuable. The Carnival Cape provide a chance to temporarily boost the mage's Critical Rating attribute. The Integralas provides a chance to boost the mage's Ability Rate every attack. The net effect of an Integralas is that secondary skills can be cast on a near constant basis, greatly increasing your mage's damage output. When choosing between Mantle's with similar desirable base attributes, choose the one with the higher bonus boost to Ability Rate.

For the offhand, a mage can wield either a shield or a tome. For early game play, feel free to swap them out as you go. Later on, you'll want a tome, no questions asked. They are polar opposites in effect- shield providing a huge boost to defense while the tome boosts offensive attack damage. If you have a tome, compare the base damage similarly to how you'd compare damage on your weapons. A decent roll for damage will have max damage over 400.

There are 2 named shields: Rylocke's Deflector and Encrypted Shield. The Encrypted Shield gives a chance to get an additional bubble shield similar to what the Apprentice gear provides while a Rylocke's offers a chance to strike an attacker with lightening with bonus damage based on your reflected damage.

There is 1 named tome, the Necronomicon. It offers a chance to summon a skellies when a monster dies. In my opinion, this is the one named item where the extra ability is not worth a large drop in damage. You should try it though and come to your own conclusions.

Rings and Necklaces

For pre-level 70, jewelry isn't very important other than not wasting a ton of resources on this jewelry. Don't bother using gemstones and you probably shouldn't even bother with making legendary jewelry. Better to conserve your gold. You MUST read the jewelry resources written elsewhere on this forum, however. Understanding how to craft high quality jewelry is an absolute must for high trials.

I will offer the following guidance related to jewelry- Normal level, just use uncommon(green) jewelry. Don't go on a spending binge here. Just roll a ring/necklace put it on and put whatever gemstone you have handy in it. For gemstones, use red or blue gemstones. Upgrade your rings upon completion of an Act. For Heroic level, go for some 2-stat rare (blue) jewelry. Be a bit more selective about stats. Go for any of Power, Haste, Experience, Life on Hit, Vitality or Ability Rate. Don't worry about the values for those attributes, don't worry about using gemstones in the fusion. Just find any 2 of 1 attribute and a 3rd of a second attribute, fuse them into a Rare and put it on. Again, upgrade upon completion of an Act as you progress through Heroic. For Legendary level, go ahead and step up to 3 stat Epic (purple) jewelry. For these, again using any of the afore mentioned attributes, find 3 of 1 attribute, fuse them into a Rare and set aside. Do the same for a 2nd attribute and the same for a 3rd, then fuse all 3 of the Rares into your Epic piece. Again, don't worry about using gemstones when fusing. Just equip the finished ring with either a Red, a Blue or even a Purple gemstone. I recommend doing this once near the beginning of Legendary difficulty, and then again about halfway through Act 2.

The goal is to familiarize and demystify jewelry crafting so that when you reach level 70, you have a better understanding of the mechanics of jewelry making. All of this jewelry will be cast aside at that point. More on level 70 jewelry later.

Story vs Trials

Once your mage hits level 10, you will have access to Trials. Trials are timed runs on various terrain maps where the goal is to kill enough monsters to summon the trial boss, who you then must defeat to beat the trial. Do all that in less than 10 minutes and you unlock the next trial. Simple as that, heh. Because monster levels are related to trial level, the 1st 7 trials will be somewhat difficult to pass through until your mage is about level 60 or so, depending on gear and abilities. Once your mage can beat Trial 7, you will likely move up to trial 30 or even higher very quickly.

There is a fair amount of discussion about the fastest way to level up your hero. Pre level-70, because XP progress is tied to monster kills and therefore the faster you are able to kill lots of monsters the quicker you can level-up your mage, many recommend farming the beginning of Canyon of Whispers story mode level (in Act2, Levania). The idea here is kill the 1st couple groups of monsters, then quit the level. Rinse. Repeat. Other Story Mode levels with tons of monsters are The Temple (end of Act2) and The Crucible of Mawrth (end of Act3). Another effective level-up method is to redo a trial you can pass quickly repeatedly. This method is a bit less boring than the previous, if a bit less efficient. Try them all!

The goal of this early game play is to get your mage to level 70. I, personally, enjoyed the story and it's levels. I can't recall my progress exactly, but upon completion of Normal Difficulty, you will likely be in the 50-ish level range. Upon completion of Heroic, you will easily be level 70 with maybe 50 CL's and upon completion of Legendary you will likely be over 100 CL's. If you run more trials before completing Story mode, you will have a higher level mage. That said, there is no rule other than the obvious that the higher level your mage reaches the easier Story Mode will be.

For Trials, again there is no rule as your progress will initially be limited by gear, then by jewelry, and finally by CL's once your gear and jewelry is end game caliber. One thing worth noting here is that Trial 80+ is worth pushing to. At trial 80, upon beating the boss, you are guaranteed 3 legendary gear drops. If that proves easy for you, then trial 90 offers better minimum rolls on stats for the gear and trial 100 offers an improved chance at a set piece drop(Adventurers, Arcanist or Apprentice).

AFTER LEVEL 70

Once you've hit level 70, things really start to get interesting. At this point, you unlock your mage's Champion Levels. For each Champion Level you attain you are awarded a Champion Point, which can be allocated to various character attributes. Champion Points (CP's) are divided into 3 main groups and each group has 4 specific attributes. The groups are Offense, Defense and Utility. The game forces a rotational allocation of CP's. So your 1st CP must be assigned to Offense, the 2nd to Defense, the 3rd to Utility, and then back to Offense for the 4th and on and on and on. Within the group, you can assign them however you wish.

Now for some nitty gritty that will be boring, but important. The Defense tab has 4 attributes, each of which can be assigned a maximum of 50 CP's. So once you've cycled through the Defense tab 200 times, you're done with defense. Similarly, the Utility tab has 4 attributes which can be assigned a total of 250 CP's. So once you've cycled through this tab 250 times, you're done with utlities. Finally, offense has 4 attributes, 2 of which each get a maximum of 100 CP's and the other 2 are unlimited.

Going through all of these details and using a little math, you realize that after 600 CP's, you'll be done with Defense and have maxxed the 2 CP-limited attributes on Offense. After 700 CP's, you'll have maxxed all attributes on the utilities tab as well. Meaning after 700 CP's, all subsequent CP's will go to either Power or Haste, the 2 unlimited offensive CL attributes. For this reason, I recommended that before 600 CP's, all of them go to the limited attributes on the offensive tab, Critical Rating and Critical Damage. Further, I recommend maxxing Critical Rating before Critical Damage, since without enough Critical Rating you can't inflict Critical Damage. In actuality, this isn't as important as understanding that you should leave Haste and Power alone until the other 2 are maxxed.

As for the other tabs, on Defense I recommend prioritizing Life % and Life on Hit while for Utility I recommend prioritizing Movement Speed and Ability Rate. Feel free to choose your own way here though since, suffice it to say, CL700 is the main goal.

Attributes

Assuming you wish to push to make your mage the GOAT, you'll need to focus on certain character attributes. Before we can discuss things like gear and jewelry post level 70, you'll need to know what attributes to focus on. Don't worry, the list is short.

High level mage character attributes to focus on:
    • Ability Rate- endgame goal ~1500
    • Haste- endgame goal enough Haste to provide Attack Speed ~6.75
    • Crticial Rating- endgame goal ~45%
    • Critical Damage- endgame goal ~1300%
    • Power- endgame goal- As Much as Possible, preferably use CL's for this but some on gear is OK too
    • Vitality- endgame goal- anywhere from 130k-180k depending on play style
    • Experience- +800%
    There are a few high level mage players that advocate 1 attribute slot of Life on Hit. Typically, these guys are at the top of the LB with multiple Celestial items and can afford 1 slot of LoH because the Celestial items provide enough extra Vitality that they can afford to use a slot on LoH. Suffice it to say, you'll know if you need this.

Gear

You should either have 6 pieces of Arcanist or Apprentice along with an Integralas Mantle for your cape. Weapon wise, a Muk or Deidre's is extremely desirable, though it's not uncommon to be without one until well into the 90's for trials. In their absence, use the highest damage weapon you can find. You'll want a good tome with high damage, not necessarily a Necronomicon, but it won't hurt either. Keep in mind that currently, Arcanist builds top out around trial100. The top of the LB is all Apprentice setups.

Ideally, you'll want 2 full sets of gear. One set will be your maximum damage, or pushing, set and on the other set all pieces will have an XP attribute for farming purposes. Early on, it's fine to have some random pieces for your XP gear. It is very desirable to have your XP set match your pushing / damage gear. So if you push with Arcanist, you'll want Arcanist pieces with XP as well.

For any of your trial pushing gear, you'll want high rolls of Critical Damage(+58% for endgame pushing), Critical Rating(+88) and Ability Rate(+88) on everything. Power(+88) or Haste(+88) would be a decent 4th stat. Vitality(+88) is OK too as a 4th stat, though you won't want or need too many with Vitality.

For experience gear, you'll want the experience attribute on everything- all 12 pieces of gear including weapon, tome, jewelry and cape. The max experience on a non-jewelry piece is 45%.

An important exception to the gear attributes are the pants and boots. You'll want to find those pieces with Movement Speed. Certainly 1 of them should have MS, I recommend 2 but this isn't universal. Prioritize MS on these 2 pieces. Any amount of movement speed will do, especially if you get it on both items.

Jewelry

At this point, you MUST understand how to craft legendary jewelry. I will not spend time explaining the process here as it's been documented exhaustively elsewhere. (Check this one out as well.) Go read those posts and ask questions.

WARNING: IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HIGH QUALITY JEWELRY CRAFTING, THE FOLLOWING WILL MAKE NO SENSE.

Your 1st set of legendary jewelry doesn't need to use gemstones in the fusion. I do recommend being picky regarding the attribute rolls, however. The 1 piece of advice I will give regarding legendary jewelry is don't fuse anything until you have all 27 pieces needed. I say this because, in my experience, this process insures you will have lots of high-roll pieces to fuse with.

Also, for 1st lvl70 jewelry, I recommend having XP on all 3 pieces and having it as a 9-piece primary. Simple reasoning- this is the shortest path to leveling up your mage. The more XP you have early, the faster it will happen. Damage is something that will build up naturally as you get better gear and more CL's.

After XP, you'll want Ability Rate, Critical Rating, Critical Damage and Haste mixed in there as other attributes on your jewelry. I would recommend CD as a 9-piece primary on 2 of the rings/necklace, and Critical Rating as a 9-piece primary on a 3rd. You'll want Ability Rate as a secondary on at least 2 of the pieces, with Critical Rating as a secondary on 2 as well. Mix in Haste and Vitality. So 3 pieces might looks as follows:

Jewelry1
    • Experience- 9P
    • Critical Damage- 9P
    • Ability Rate- 5P
    • Critical Rating- 4P
    Jewelry2
    • Experience- 9P
    • Critical Damage- 9P
    • Critical Rating- 5P
    • Haste- 4P
    Jewelry3
    • Experience- 9P
    • Critical Rating- 9P
    • Ability Rate- 5P
    • Vitality- 4P
    Without using gemstones, these will give your mage a significant damage boost while helping you build experience. As you go, you will learn your own preferences for your mage and can build better XP jewelry using gemstones in the fusions to give even better stat improvement and refinement. When should you look to do this? When you stall out at a trial level, look to replace 1 set and plan to use some gemstones to give you a decent stat boost.

For endgame jewelry(above CL1700) I recommend Critical Damage as a 9 piece primary on all 3 pieces, Ability Rate as a 9 piece primary on 2 pieces and Vitality as a 9 piece primary on 1 piece. After that, you'll need Critical Rating as a secondary on all 3 pieces, along with Haste, Vitality or Ability Rate depending on your needs and keeping in mind the above endgame values to shoot for.

It is important to remember that your gear will influence your decisions a great deal here. The only ones of these that I think any endgame mage should have is the Critical Damage as 9-piece primary on all 3 pieces and some amount of Critical Rating on all 3 pieces. After that, having Ability Rate on every piece of gear might mean you don't need 2 jewelry pieces with Ability Rate as a 9-piece primary and instead can put vitality as a 9-piece primary on 2 pieces of jewelry.

For a reference for planning, you'll be gaining a minimum of 200 points for non-primary attributes, and 270-300 for a 9 piece primary with gemstones. For CD, you should be getting +119% or better as a 9-piece primary.

For reference, my 3 pushing pieces are as follows:

Jewelry1
    • Critical Damage- 9P
    • Ability Rate- 9P
    • Critical Rating- 5P
    • Vitality- 4P
    Jewelry2
    • Critical Damage- 9P
    • Ability Rate- 9P
    • Vitality- 5P
    • Critical Rating- 4P
    Jewelry3
    • Critical Damage- 9P
    • Vitality- 9P
    • Haste- 5P
    • Critical Rating- 4P
    Endgame jewelry needs gemstones in the fusion. Play with the gemstone combinations to determine the distribution of your points. Take your time deciding how to make these pieces. Depending on gear and your patience, you won't need these kinds of jewelry pieces until AFTER trial 100, maybe even farther. I would say Trial 105 is the point where you will need at least 1 high-quality damage piece like this depending on skill and CL level. After this, you will quickly need the other 2 pieces.

Minions

After advancing through the Story mode, you will have gathered up 3 minions - Marcus, Eileen and Robin. These guys are fine for Story mode and trials into the 70's. Eileen, in particular, has a useful ability with her vortex. It can be used to temporarily stun oppenents as well as gather a bunch of them up so you can unleash a barrage of AoE attacks, like blizzard or immolate or frostbeam.

The main advantage of minions, however, is their passive aura that provides an attribute boost. As for the 3 minions you rescue from Story mode: Marcus boosts armor, Eileen boosts recovery and Robin boosts attack speed.

There are 2 minions that can be purchased that are of particular interest for a mage: Xagan, who boosts Ability Rate and Endar, who boosts attack speed.

DO NOT USE XAGAN.

In case that wasn't clear enough, let me just add DO NOT USE XAGAN.

Xagan, because of his AR boosting aura seems like a natural pairing for mage. Unfortunately, Xagan has an awful, terrible, no-bloody-good-for-a-mage attribute: when enemies get to close, he has a defensive blast that scatters monsters all over the place.

What's so bad about that, you ask?

As a mage, your 1st goal is to gather up several packs of monsters into 1 large mob, then kill the mob. Well, Xagan will happily BLOW YOUR MOB TO SMITHEREENS with his defensive attack, and not in the beneficial "killed the mob" sense. At which point, you'll have to spend time fixing the damage he's done, regrouping your mob. Time that you could have been using to kill the mob you had so carefully been making. Unless he dies, don't be surprised if he blows your mob apart again.

For this reason, all high level mages will have 2 Endars and a Robin. Their aura boosts your attack speed. Each one is worth about 0.5 AS at level 70. Also, their defensive attack is to freeze their attackers and jump back. Suffice it to say, this ability pairs very nicely with mage attacks.

XP Farming

Early game, XP farming can be done in Story Mode or Trials. Ultimately, Trials will be your only source of XP farming. You'll want to find a level where you can quickly summon the boss, then drop out of the trial and start over. The amount of XP a boss offers isn't worth the time it takes to kill it. At higher trials, it can take just as long to kill the boss as it does to summon it.

Grinding XP levels can reduce your sanity after a point. One mental trick I used a lot was to pick a certain number of CL's I would have to attain before applying them. For instance, as a newb lvl70 mage with a decent amount of XP gear, maybe wait 50 cl's before applying them. Once that takes too long, drop it to 35 CL's, and so on.

Champion Level advancement is fast for the first 250, the slows down noticeably, but still not insufferably. Progress towards CL700 should be steady, with multiple CL's per trial run easily attainable. After CL700, XP gear is critical to keeping a good pace for advancing. It is actually worthwhile, from an XP standpoint, to gain XP attributes on gear at the expense of damage and dropping a trial or 2 for farming purposes. By CL1000, progress will be down to 2-3 CL's per run and by CL1500, you'll be down to 1 CL per run. After that, it's not long before you'll need to make multiple runs for a CL. At 2k CL's it will take about 8 runs on trial 100 to gain a single CL.

Gemstone Farming

For a mage, there is only 1 level to talk about for gemstone farming- The Broken Dragon, the last level of Act1. You will get the most out of your runs if you can 1-shot kill everything along the way. Run the level on Normal difficulty as the higher difficulties don't offer improved drop rates for gemstones to the best of our knowledge. I recommend using a 200% booster when doing a farming run. Be sure to use Fleet Footed passive ability so you can run the level faster. This is why it was mentioned as a skill to prioritize.

After CL700

You've passed CL700, so now all your hard-earned CP's go to Haste and Power. How best to allocate them?

There are a few ways to do it. There are CP optimizers that people here have put together. These will optimize for damage. While a not invalid way to go about it, they will short change a mage's attack speed. This isn't unimportant since Integralas Mantle procs, immolate procs, merlok summons/ extra attacks, life on hit and a few other things are all tied back to AS.

A better way might be to assign 2-1 power-haste. After 100 CL's, evaluate your AS. Adjust the allocation to get an AS more to your liking and then start again, using a slightly different distribution. Keep evaluating your AS as you go every 100-150 CL's. As a rough guide, try to be around 6.0 AS by trial 90, 6.25 by trial 95, 6.5 by trial 100 and 6.75 by trial 110. Note these aren't hard targets and being below these doesn't mean you won't be able to advance. They are merely goals and guidance on your journey. By the time you have reached these points in the game, you will almost certainly have developed your own opinions for getting the most out of your mage.

ODDS and ENDS

Some things that are important and frequently asked about, but don't neatly fit into the above organization...

Celestial Gear, Legendary Boxes and Chests

As you level up your mage, you will come across a few different chests. Medium chests with a variety of gear, large chests, chests with a set item. The main thing to keep in mind with these chests is the will offer up gear at your current level. So the best way to take advantage of them is to wait until you have reached level 70, so they give up level 70 gear. This is particularly true for anything that offers up a legendary gear, like the set item chest.

Legendary Boxes are boxes that can be made into any piece of gear you'd like, typically a piece of set gear or a named weapon or tome. In addition to offering you the choice of gear type, it also affords you the ability to select what attributes the gear will have. The general recommendations are to replace you weakest piece of gear with the pieces from an L-box with the following recommendations: an Integralas Mantle, Diedre's Resolve or Muk (most prefer the Diedre's), pants with movement speed, boots with movement speed, something to replace your weakest piece. Gear from L-boxes typically have higher rolls of all attribute categories than random gear dropped at the end of trials, so choose these attributes wisely (hint: 3 of them should almost certainly be Critical Damage, Critical Rating and Ability Rate. For pants or boots, Movement Speed is the 4th attribute and you are done. For anything else, you're left with Haste, Power or Experience, most likely.)

Celestial gear comes from celestial boxes. These boxes, as with the legendary boxes above, are earned from events that occur in game from time to time. Celestial gear looks different from normal gear. It has a blue background. You can see celestial gear on most any of the top 10 of the mage leaderboard. More important than looks though, celestial gear offers 5 attributes on the gear it creates. Vitality is a fixed attribute on all celestial gear and you are afforded the same option to choose 4 other attributes for the gear as with L-boxes. Further, the rolls for celestials are even better than those for L-boxes. When deciding how to use your celestial box, the following recommendations are typically offered: an Integralas Mantle, Diedre's Resolve or Muk (most prefer the Diedre's), tunic or chest piece, pants with movement speed, boots with movement speed, then replace your weakest piece. Note the addition of tunic (or chest piece) specifically. The reason is because you can, and should, put 2 sockets on a celestial tunic to get either +100 on a 6th stat, or +50 on a 6th and 7th stat.

Alacrity

A quick word about an arcane aspect of gameplay- alacrity. Alacrity is what the devs have defined as the chance to reduce ability cooldowns by a few seconds when attacking. Alacrity happens in addition to the effect provided by your mage's Ability Rate. Also, Ability Rate affects the chance provided by Alacrity and it has been documented that an AR of 1500 provides the maximum chance(30% I believe) for Alacrity. Thus, even though AR is a diminishing return attribute, it is still desirable to push it as close to 1500 as possible for the purpose of maximizing the Alacrity effect. Alacrity is also an additional reason it is desirable sacrifice some stat damage to push your Attack Speed up to 6.75- the lost stat damage is made up for with more frequent ability casts.

Arc Lightning Attack Speed Buff

Once the Arc Lightning attack is maxxed to Level 10, you gain access to am easily overlooked, but very important, attack mechanic. By attacking with AL continuously for a few seconds, you will get an Attack Speed increase that lasts for 5 seconds and is independent of the attack. So you can switch to your second attack, be it Arcane Bolts, Frostbolt or Fireball, and take advantage of the increased attack speed. As if this wasn't good enough, once you have triggered this attack buff, you can maintain it almost indefinitely by switching back to AL for a single attack, which will refresh the 5 second timer, then returning to your other attack(AB,FB). There are other damage buff affects that have been observed in testing(and are documented here on the forum- go check them out), so this is an important bit of mage minutae.

PC or Mobile?

If you want to be at the top, PC is the way to go. Currently, mobile phones provide decent game play and it is possible to get as far as 115 using high-end Android phones. For those of you using iPhone8's or newer, you'll be able to push higher. It simply becomes a matter of processing power when you'll need to execute large mob pulls in order to summon the boss with enough time for a mage to kill him.

Gameplay

I highly recommend that you seek out Purple Potato's or Strut's videos to see an example of high-end mage gameplay. A video is worth a lot of words.

That said, the basic idea using a 6-piece Apprentice setup with the abilities mentioned is to gather, manage and kill large mobs. In the case of a mage, you'll want to be able to manage 70+ monster mobs. Most maps require 3 pulls to clear the trial and summon the boss. So 3 mobs of about 70 monsters gets you there.

As to why gathering mobs like that is best for a mage, it has to do with how a mage's damage is applied in game. The short answer here is mages specialize in area effect damage. The Immolate procs from Apprentice are AoE, blizzard is AoE, Singularity is a moving AoE with the added benefit of giving life on hit. Arc Lightning is a relatively low-damage attack, but it jumps to many monsters. Arcance Bolts is also a low-damage attack, but with high enough AS and at 4 bolts per attack, it can damage quite a few monsters quickly in small area. Blink is ideal for quickly moving around a mob to keep your mage out of harm's way and also keep the mob together.

Good luck my friend, and may you become a true hero...
    Last edited by lama75; 12-11-2018, 05:08 PM.
    CL 2K+
    Mage- Ladim(#9 Live LB), Proxima(XP)
    TL119 in 9:14 on mobile (iphone8)

Mage Guide

Thanks for this extremely helpful post. I was somebody who spent loads of gold and wasted precious gemstones making legendary jewelry without knowing what I was doing, and (retrospectively) I agree 100% with your jewelry advice and particularly appreciate the details about preferred Mage attributes.
    Mobile only player
    Assault BH Tunre TL 111 in 9:44

Comment

Thank you for the write-up. Travis, I vote that this be moved to the Guide section - unless there are any objections by other high level Mage players. Additional cleanup/revisions can always be done later if needed, at least we'll have a "please see the Mage guide" post now. Thanks again.
      Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 10 Aug 2018)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post
        Thank you for the write-up. Travis, I vote that this be moved to the Guide section - unless there are any objections by other high level Mage players. Additional cleanup/revisions can always be done later if needed, at least we'll have a "please see the Mage guide" post now. Thanks again.
        My pleasure. Is there a format guide somewhere? I could do a few formatting things and add some links as an initial improvement. Just not sure what the coding is.

UPDATE: Nevermind, found the bb code stuff.
        Last edited by lama75; 09-01-2018, 11:31 PM.
        CL 2K+

Mage Guide

Comment

One thing you might add--or perhaps it's in there and I missed it-is your view on which minions to run with your Mage and why. Ie three archers, two archers plus healer, etc.
          Mobile only player
          Assault BH Tunre TL 111 in 9:44

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmobilenewbie View Post
            One thing you might add--or perhaps it's in there and I missed it-is your view on which minions to run with your Mage and why.
            You didn't miss it. I overlooked this somehow. I'll add this info. Thx.
            CL 2K+

Mage Guide

Comment

Originally posted by lama75 View Post

My pleasure. Is there a format guide somewhere? I could do a few formatting things and add some links as an initial improvement. Just not sure what the coding is.

UPDATE: Nevermind, found the bb code stuff.
              You can press the [A] button to get the advance editing options, should be enough without having to manually type the bbcode.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	advanced editor.png Views:	1 Size:	20.3 KB ID:	113246

Also, I normally use the [ node=# ]<link text>[ /node ] (remove the space before/after the [ and ]) format for my links to other forum posts, it's shorter than using the full url to the particular topic/reply.
              Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 10 Aug 2018)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

I've added some more guidance and tried to clean up the writing in general to make thing clearer. If there's anything people want to see, or parts that aren't clear feel free to PM me or leave a comment and I'll find a way to address it.
                CL 2K+

Mage Guide

Comment

Thank you, absolutely love that DO NOT USE XAGAN part.

Comment

I wanna be a Cowboy.., but thats not a class

Comment

Originally posted by Jage View Post
                      I wanna be a Cowboy.., but thats not a class
                      Cowboys are ALL class...
                      CL 2K+

Mage Guide

Comment

Here's some input:
                        • 10 skills to focus on, not 9. Fleetfooted for Story Mode
                        • Early on, any pair of Set gears can and should be used along the way, until you can swap them out for Apprentice. Even Adventurer.
                        • If this is to be a "Guide" you need to go back and fill in details instead of writing "I forget"
                        • Early on, the fastest way to level up is to use dropped/RNG gear with XP on it, make cheap XP jewelry, and run trials, above your current level. Trial 1 = level 10, 2=20, and so on. It's faster, for XP only, to run mobs only. But early on you want the gear from killing the boss.
                        • Check spelling of Integralas
                        • XP jewelry : my opinion for stats is different than what you list. You do write that it "might be" ... suggest expanding on the other good stat choices. For high end XP jewelry mages ideally need XP, CD, CR, AR on all 3 in some combination. See Purple Potato #38 and Kisheli #40 on LB.
                        • Trials jewelry... again have different opinion. Vitality as a P9? Sorry but 'No'
                        • Gemstone farming advice is not correct. Link to the thread that has the data.
                        • Check spelling of Lightning (no "e")
                        This possible guide could also be much improved by adding links to other guides and other important threads.

Also, using Nhat approach of closed thread, separate sections in each subsequent reply, would be great. This is a long wall of text.

I didn't read it for a long while because of the title. It doesn't say it is a guide.
                        VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381
                        Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Originally posted by Coda View Post
                          Here's some input:
                          • 10 skills to focus on, not 9. Fleetfooted for Story Mode
                          Good point, I'll add this.

• Early on, any pair of Set gears can and should be used along the way, until you can swap them out for Apprentice. Even Adventurer.
                          I said this.

• If this is to be a "Guide" you need to go back and fill in details instead of writing "I forget"
                          Meh, maybe. I stand by the thrust of the statement which is that for mage, Adventurer's gear is unimportant. I don't see how "fixing" that deliberate choice makes it better. I have plenty of details that ARE important for mage. Why clutter it with unimportant things?

• Early on, the fastest way to level up is to use dropped/RNG gear with XP on it, make cheap XP jewelry, and run trials, above your current level. Trial 1 = level 10, 2=20, and so on. It's faster, for XP only, to run mobs only. But early on you want the gear from killing the boss.
                          Thanks for this, I'll rework that section and make some fixes to communicate this.

UPDATE: This rework will take a bit longer than I thought. I'm thinking I'll need to reorganize it fairly substantially.

• Check spelling of Integralas
                          Done, thanks.

• XP jewelry : my opinion for stats is different than what you list. You do write that it "might be" ... suggest expanding on the other good stat choices. For high end XP jewelry mages ideally need XP, CD, CR, AR on all 3 in some combination. See Purple Potato #38 and Kisheli #40 on LB.
                          I used "might be" very deliberately in this section. It was precisely because of this kind statement. I'm well aware that there are other ways to build XP jewelry. I disagree with the "ideally" notion because XP jewelry is largely dependent on the XP gear, IMO.

That said, I will expand the finer points as you suggest.

TMTOWTDI

• Trials jewelry... again have different opinion. Vitality as a P9? Sorry but 'No'
                          This is a pretty arrogant statement. I have vitality as a P9 on one of my pieces. My total toughness is 175K. I play mobile only. Outside of getting another celestial piece, how exactly am I supposed to get the toughness needed? Considering you're sitting on 176k, you're not in a position to tell me I have too much(you also have 6 celestials, which makes it easy to not have vitality as a P9 on jewelry). I'm only 2 trials behind you on the LB. Are you really going to sit there and tell me I did it wrong?

Also, I wrote "for reference". I didn't write this piece as a "do it this way." I wrote it as a way to answer a lot of the basic questions that come up all the time here and on discord. As I noted in the piece, I gave it as an EXAMPLE of what you might do for endgame jewelry and I even stated players would need to change things to suit their gear. I stated all the relevant endgame attributes to focus on and even stated targets or goals to work for.

I'm happy to rewrite this section if you really think I'm misleading people. I don't think that for the all the reasons stated above. If it can be written better, I'm happy to do that as well but this doesn't help me do that.

TMTOWTDI

• Gemstone farming advice is not correct. Link to the thread that has the data.
                          Guess I did it "wrong."(TMTOWTDI)

That said, I will hunt that down and link it.

UPDATE: I've found your thread about gemstone farming numbers, plus the one in the guide, plus another by Suzy. What thread are you referring to that makes my short statement wrong?

• Check spelling of Lightning (no "e")
                          I don't know why I do that. Fixed.

This possible guide could also be much improved by adding links to other guides and other important threads.
                          I linked things I thought were absolutely necessary which was the jewelry stuff. You noted the gemstone stuff which I'll also link. I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary, but I'll add it since it will certainly afford readers more info to help them make decisions.

Off the top of my head, I recall a thread talking about mukraiser vs deidre's for weapon choice. I'm not sure it really fits with how I wrote this, but I'll work in a link to it.

If you have other suggestions, I'm happy to consider them.

Again, my goal was to get people enough info to get themselves up and running without getting too badly sidetracked early on. I wanted to give them enough to work with that they could progress quite a ways before they "get stuck" and need help getting unstuck. Ideally, they'd figure out for themselves a way to get unstuck. By the time they have to start making big decisions about "endgame" stuff, they'll likely have enough understanding of what to do to ask a couple questions and get opinions, and then go off and do it themselves.

Also, using Nhat approach of closed thread, separate sections in each subsequent reply, would be great. This is a long wall of text.

I didn't read it for a long while because of the title. It doesn't say it is a guide.
                          Yes, it's a wall of text. Writing it wasn't necessarily a straight line. I did, initially, reserve some comments for the purpose of breaking it up but found in the course of writing it, it didn't make any sense to use them. I'll spend some time breaking it up and reorganizing it if you think it's worth it. You're the first high-level mage player to offer any critique, which I do appreciate despite my sometimes combative tone above.

And no, it doesn't say it's a guide. I, personally, liked the title as I thought it set the tone I wanted which was to be more conversational, fun and suggestive of how to proceed as opposed to an "IT MUST BE DONE THIS WAY" kind of tone. So, to each their own I suppose.
                          Last edited by lama75; 09-26-2018, 06:51 PM.
                          CL 2K+

Mage Guide

Comment

Excellent Mage guide and detailed lama75 Yes this should be in the guides ..
                            Spot on! *Thumbs-up*

Comment

You presented only one set of stats for jewelry with little commentary about why those stats were presented, and what are the other options. This invites others to weigh in with other opinions. A good guide takes the bigger picture into consideration, not just your own perspective.

In my opinion, the long game for high end players, should involve slowly acquiring Celestials, therefore no Vitality on jewelry (for a mage; it's different for W/BH). Or at most one piece with it as secondary. This is because you should target about 1100 total V and you can get ~900 without jewelry. Or, you could plan on replacing that piece (with V as P9), which is expensive and time consuming. Instead, until you get the Celestial(s), socket Emeralds. And/Or have V on some gear that can be reforged later, to a different stat.

Your thread does not cover the pros and cons of various stats on jewelry. There are other threads that do, and those could be linked, or summarized. High end Mages need CD, CR, and AR the most. And XP if it's your grinder. Vitality should be the minimum necessary to not die, and the player should be continually challenging that lower limit by varying their play style. Power and Haste should be secondary concerns (for high end players because of CL points) and like Vitality, only be used as fill in secondary stats on jewelry.

​The fact that this is a valid opinion is backed up by the LB ranking of myself and Rivx, RoA, Purple ... all very highly ranked players in their day ... whom all take a similar approach. Rivx and I also collaborated on math/code/simulations to prove to ourselves what is the ultimate mage build. His CL optimizer came from his work on that.
                              ​​​​​​
                              A good guide is thorough and accurate, but also not so detailed or verbose as to bury the reader. I did not comment on this above, but your style is "conversational" so quite a bit longer than it could be, and still present the same amount of information.

A good guide should also should be formatted well (fonts, colors, pics, links, headings, white space) to make it as much an "easy read" as possible.

You seem to be aiming for "Guide Status" for this thread, and you have a decent start in that direction.
                              VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381
                              Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Working...
                              X