X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to Story Mode Speed Running for Gems - Feedback and Discussion Thread

New, Restructured Guide here :

Guide to Story Mode Speed Running V 1.2

Please use this thread as a discussion and feedback thread.

Cheers

Madriax
    TL;DR Running story mode for gem completion rewards can be fun and profitable, can be done with a BH Speed Runner which can give 100 gems per hour or more - but it
    Last edited by Madriax; 09-20-2018, 02:58 PM.

Only three things "lately" on my Android adds have been poping like mad, trial doesnt even compete really... esp if u add the fact that most in stories have 4 runs left thats 9 gems..

Random gem pops are great but ? 1 gem/per

Playing offline Story NO Adds

just an adroid player opinion based of whats happening atm

everything else you posted.. Thumbs up!

But yea story repeats can get boring fast..lol
    Last edited by Jage; 09-02-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Just so you know the link isn't in the post, you need to just paste it in without telling the forum it's a url. Ads are on all mobile platforms, not just tablets.

Comment

I haven't ever analyzed collecting GEMS (not gemSTONEs, but the IAP currency). However, thinking through the ways you can get gems we have:
        • buy them : 100/day subscription is fairly inexpensive
        • calendar rewards (certain days = 20)
        • daily quests, up to 5x20
        • Ads, 5 per ~30 sec
        • Story mode, 10 total (one time) from 5 runs of each map, prolly takes around 10-15 minutes per map for the "remaining" 4 runs assuming you've done 1 already. In other words, ads are a more efficient use of time, for gems.
        • Random drops of a gem or two while killing monsters
        IIRC , Jose Sarmento did some math on this for a casual player, and between quest rewards + drops&ads during playing some to achieve quests + subscription, he had a "number of gems per day on average" that one could expect.

Unfortunately story mode gems are "one time only". The others are (potentially) ongoing.
        Last edited by Coda; 09-03-2018, 10:20 AM.
        VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Originally posted by Humus View Post
          Just so you know the link isn't in the post, you need to just paste it in without telling the forum it's a url. Ads are on all mobile platforms, not just tablets.
          NOTED!

Comment

Originally posted by Humus View Post
            I can't seem to remove the url link. I've added the link in "quotes" as text to see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Coda View Post
              I haven't ever analyzed collecting GEMS (not gemSTONEs, but the IAP currency). However, thinking through the ways you can get gems we have:
              • buy them : 100/day subscription is fairly inexpensive
              • calendar rewards (certain days = 20)
              • daily quests, up to 5x20
              • Ads, 5 per ~30 sec
              • Story mode, 10 total (one time) from 5 runs of each map, prolly takes around 10-15 minutes per map for the "remaining" 4 runs assuming you've done 1 already. In other words, ads are a more efficient use of time, for gems.
              • Random drops of a gem or two while killing monsters
              IIRC , Jose Sarmento did some math on this for a casual player, and between quest rewards + drops&ads during playing some to achieve quests + subscription, he had a "number of gems per day on average" that one could expect.

Unfortunately story mode gems are "one time only". The others are (potentially) ongoing.
              Calendar rewards are 11gems per day on average. As to dailies, prior to act IV I was just doing a few boostered Siege of Anderhelm runs (full clear, not zerg rush), which fulfill all daily types Merloks inclusively (and nets decent gemstones even in leisurely mode)

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post

Calendar rewards are 11gems per day on average. As to dailies, prior to act IV I was just doing a few boostered Siege of Anderhelm runs (full clear, not zerg rush), which fulfill all daily types Merloks inclusively (and nets decent gemstones even in leisurely mode)
                For the casual daily player
                • 5x20 = 100/day, from quests
                • 11/day average from calendar
                • A few/day, at most, from drops
                • Some more (10 to 50/day?) from some ads...
                • Optional daily subscription, 100/day
                Equals around ~220 to maybe 250 per day or so, roughly.

ANB takes a few thousand to do well (I think Purple Potato has that number pretty well determined, IIRC.) and still have a life, so saving per the above for a month, one could get around 7000 with minimal cost.

Good to know.

Comment

For the casual daily player
                  • 5x20 = 100/day, from quests
                  • 11/day average from calendar
                  • A few/day, at most, from drops
                  • Some more (10 to 50/day?) from some ads...
                  • Optional daily subscription, 100/day
                  Equals around ~220 to maybe 250 per day or so, roughly.

ANB takes a few thousand to do well (I think Purple Potato has that number pretty well determined, IIRC.) and still have a life, so saving per the above for a month, one could get around 7000 with minimal cost.

Good to know.
                  I was happy getting the 200-250 per day.

I wanted to test whether running story mode was worth the time and effort if acquiring gems are your primary goal and then share my results.

Over the last 2 weeks I've made well over 7,000 additional gems running story mode 7 times complete, each run spread over 2 days. Each run got faster and more efficient. That's an extra 500+ gems per day on average. Consistent gem income, not random drops. I alternated between story mode and gemstone farming (I stopped playing Trials for now) and played most of story mode offline (another reason to do them as ad boxes don't drop) as I had intermittent access to the internet.

If you have the patience and spare time, I do think it's a viable way to acquire gems - after using some for gem boosters and having some lucky runs of add boxes, I went from around 7k gems to 19k+ gems.

I've been playing Eternium for 11 weeks and I'm very happy with my results and wanted to share them.

Personally, for me the gem boost is so good that I have got into story mode running where before I completely neglected story mode and did only Trials and gemstone farming. Now I have 3 things to do instead of 2, increasing the variety of gameplay!
                  Last edited by Madriax; 09-03-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Madriax all good except running Story Mode for gems is a one time bump.

There are something like 7950 gems you can get from Story Mode (that includes Act IV), then you're back to daily stuff that's "renewable".

Comment

Madriax all good except running Story Mode for gems is a one time bump.

There are something like 7950 gems you can get from Story Mode (that includes Act IV), then you're back to daily stuff that's "renewable".
                      It's not a one-time bump if you have a spare character slot you can use and then delete & repeat, which is what I was testing. It becomes an n-time bump as many times as you like, which is what I've been doing.

4 main char slots and a story mode runner slot.

Also, with the methods I've detailed for each map, I thought players could at least complete story mode a bit quicker on any of their other chars if they haven't done it yet.

Most of the elapsed time is taken up moving through the maps and getting Victory as fast as possible.

Also the time unloading loot and loading the next area 555 times!

Cheers
                      Last edited by Madriax; 09-03-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madriax View Post
                        It's not a one-time bump if you have a spare character slot you can use and then delete & repeat, which is what I was testing. It becomes an n-time bump as many times as you like, which is what I've been doing.
                        Excellent point. However, I'm not sure your OP puts the ROI in the forefront.

How many gems does the new character cost after paying 50 gems to delete the prior?

Then for the new character you may choose to spend ___ to open research slots + ___ for attacks/spells/passives slots + ___ for companions slots + ___ for companions (Endars).

With Act IV, we have 795 stars per character (825 listed but no gems or stars from Training Ground and no gems from Gauntlet), so substract 30.

(1+1+2+2+4)/5 = 2 gems per star.

795*2=1590 gems per character.

Minus ___ in costs.

And it takes, I dunno, something like 2 or 3 minutes, average per level/map? Probably faster with maximum movement speed on Boots/Pants and Fleetfooted at level 10, but that won't happen until well into the whole deal.

With Act IV, there are now, I think, 53 maps? So, perhaps about 2.5 hours to speed run all maps of one difficulty, or maybe 7 to 8 hours for all 3 difficulties?

Hmm.
                        • What's the total profit in # of gems?
                        • How about (net) gems per time?
                        Suggestion: run the numbers and put them in the OP
                        Last edited by Coda; 09-03-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I posted in a rushed state, I'll be updating the post over the next few days. There's some sections I need to add, correct some text and more accurate results - I'm about 95% through refining my runs. I will be doing some time recording over the weekend.

I did put in the fact that, for me, I had 1 char with 2 extra rows of storage, no abilities or upgrade slots = 50 + 200 + 50 for delete = 300 gems for the first char delete.

New char = 0 for upgrade slots + 50 for deletion as a bare minimum, with the current Acts, that's 370 x 3 - 50 = 1060 complete run.

No need to expand storage for 50 gems - offload gemstones to chest, sell loot. I only really get "Inventory Full" messages running the gemstone boosters.

We can sell on-the-go, but this will change to teleporting to town to sell with the expansion. This will slow down those needing the loot for gold

If you don't need gold, just keep rough and common in the 12 spaces and they will still accumulate on your char along with any gold drops (meh) and leave all other items, potions and apples on the ground.

I need to do some proper timings now I have the run smoothed out and efficient. But I'd say, roughly, 90 gems per hour.

I'm going to do a run this weekend where I do the entire run, from char lvl 1 and only use time, not gems, to upgrade skills as I play and get it done as quick as I can. All of my play throughs have been done solely on android 10" tablet.

My next run over the next couple of days will be to see how easy Legendary can be done with, say, only level 3 Scatter Shot, level 3 Rapid fire and all the rest in Charged Ammo as it really does add a ton of damage even at low skill level.

Spending 50 gems for 2 x 100% boosters for the 4 Maps I mention (well worth it as you are running the Maps anyway, but not the 200% boosters as they cost you an extra 100 gems) that will bring it down from 1060 to 1010. But you get a nice boost to gemstones.

By boosting skill upgrades with gems, you can get level up the skills quicker. You can use from 0 to, say 50 or 60 doing this as you see fit.

I've only paid gems at low level 3 + 5 + 10 + 25 = 43 to get Scatter Shot to level 5 quickly and 3 + 5 = 8 gems for Rapid Fire to level 3 = 43 + 8 gems = 51. Add in, say, level 3 Charged Ammo for 3 + 5 = 8 + 51 = 59 gems.

I also run with around 630 XP (it was on the Assault set I found, I have hardly played BH tbh, not reforged to XP) and using XP jewelry. Pure bonus based on gear that dropped, but full XP gear if you have it is not a negative.

I use a Mage to farm gemstones TBD on normal with 357 XP and 590 gold find ... and flip-flopping between the gemstone farming and story mode running I have gone from CL 2013 to almost 2016. I know with my 800 XP char and 50% XP boosters I could have got that in 90 minutes. The point is, it's still worth running story mode in as much XP gear as you can ... CL will always go up, not down, however little.

My goal was not to get gemstones or XP or gold or items, they are pure bonus along the way and I still average 6+ brilliants per story mode full run. Maybe 500k gold? highly variable due to loot rng. I only have the 50% from CL. No Assault Set pieces have ever dropped for me - don't run story mode for set items. Only had Stalker and Havoc from Legendary Misty Isle.

I was flipping the problem on it's head ... instead of running XP, gemstones etc with bonus gem drops, could I farm gems and have bonus XP and gemstones? An emphatic Yes!

Fleet Footed not even in the picture in this scenario. You only have the one free passive slot and that is used up by Charged Ammo - nothing else really comes close.

Cheers
                          Last edited by Madriax; 09-03-2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

PS, does the link to google docs work? Can people see the spreadsheet?
                            Last edited by Madriax; 09-03-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madriax View Post
                              PS, does the link to google docs work? Can people see the spreadsheet?
                              Link works for me. A very detailed write up, thank you for the contribution. Travis, worthy of moving in to the Guides section, in my opinion - useful info for Gems farming, although given the required CL to make it practical, may not apply to new players.
                              Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 21 May 2019)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Working...
                              X