Guide to Story Mode Speed Running for Gems - Feedback and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keaven View Post
    My thoughts exactly before reading this thread, and it is viable.

The cost may not be worth it for a full set of gear and weapons, but certainly worth it for XP jewelry and cape which will get you to 70 to equip your top set items sooner, and can then be used for any new hero you want to level faster.

https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...ng-item-levels

It's even viable to unlock the full set gear slower than 10 levels per speed run, as the gem costs per level doesn't scale equally the more levels you unlock on an item.

Although there isn't any other use for your BH speedrunner gear being so heavily level restriction reduced, unlike non class restricted items. Perhaps some might just drop their levels to some particular useful point.

If you unlock items for gems to reduce level requirements each time you level a new BH speed runner it costs 10.4 gems per level in lots of 10. But if you only drop them by 1,2,3, or 4 levels it costs around 4/5 gems per level, more than that generally increases around 1 gem per extra level until 10.

For eg: dropping level equip requirements by (max allowed) 10 levels of level 70 XP rings, necklace, and a legendary cape (I would suggest gold, XP, and whatever else you want for DPS) will set you back 416 gems per run.

For full set of gear (including weapons being 8 items) would set you back 832 gems per run, but if only dropping them by 4 levels per run (optimal efficiency) would cost 160 gems. For that price might as well yeah? I'll be trying it lol.

I'll do a full update on this guide at some point I imagine as it's a bit dated now, but for many reasons I'll elaborate on later, this is the best guide on the forums based on my experience since starting this game.
    Good points! If you´re going through the trouble of creating and leveling 7 new heroes (at least) to do this unlocking, I would strongly suggest that you include at least a pair of pants and boots with very high movespeed (L72+ if possible). Only caveat is these will only be usable by the same hero class, so choose wisely (I would go for BH Assault set myself).

Edit: I would advise against using Gold stats, as farming gold is not efficient anyway until monster level reaches 70. My choices would be, sequentially, Movespeed (for pants and boots), XP, Ability rating, Haste and one survival stat - whichever helps you survive better - perhaps a combination of Vit and LOH spread among all the pieces.
    Last edited by MarkHark; 09-03-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHark View Post

Good points! If you´re going through the trouble of creating and leveling 7 new heroes (at least) to do this unlocking, I would strongly suggest that you include at least a pair of pants and boots with very high movespeed (L72+ if possible). Only caveat is these will only be usable by the same hero class, so choose wisely (I would go for BH Assault set myself).

Edit: I would advise against using Gold stats, as farming gold is not efficient anyway until monster level reaches 70. My choices would be, sequentially, Movespeed (for pants and boots), XP, Ability rating, Haste and one survival stat - whichever helps you survive better - perhaps a combination of Vit and LOH spread among all the pieces.
      As far as efficiency goes regarding level restriction dropping there are many ways to skin that cat, but movement speed (and XP to equip anything not being unlocked quicker) should be the priority as you mentioned.

It would also be significantly cheaper to drop jewelry by 4 levels per run instead of 10 as well. Each to their own.

If doing boots and pants (best choices after XP jewelry for sure), I would also include 2 other Assault pieces for set special effects (including more speed) as well.

Gold is a better priority in my opinion as you can hit a lot of chests when stealthed in a run.

You don't need to have gear that you use to get to 70 and gear you use after, and gold pays off more as you get deeper into the run.

In my experience having gold and XP on every item does not sacrifice much speed for a run that DPS would gain, and it's worth the additional resources.

More DPS would only affect legendary difficulty anyway, which could simply be skipped if gems was the only useful resource you are after.

Survival is not an issue with the gear I use either. Enchanting, and sockets also helps there.

Ability rating is also not needed if you are using stealth which needs only one cast per stage for maximum benefit.

Another thing I'll be suggesting in my update of this guide is that leveling in trials prior to speed running story mode is completely unneccissary and a waste of time in my opinion. Same with storing/farming lower level gear.

Even set pieces aren't neccissary to use prior to reaching level 70 as the main benefit is movement speed which is less important while you are stopping to kill mobs for XP.

It can be done quite efficiently and inexpensively by crafting rare gear with XP and movement speed (or whatever you want outside of boots and pants, I chose gold) at whatever levels you wish.

Even Crafting 4 rare Assault gear at different points works as it only requires 4 marks of titans, and if you have the scraper perk you can even end up with more marks than when you started with after salvaging.

You don't even need to check gear drops as you go for better XP gain, but I usually check epic or better gear drops anyway.

Simply speed run through stages with lower level mobs and hunt during stages with similar or higher level mobs and you can reach 70 by the time you complete a normal run with good XP items.
      Last edited by Keaven; 09-06-2019, 03:17 AM.
      VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
      Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

I did some playing to compare speed running story mode vs farming advert boxes in Morgenheim for half an hour of real life time each.

Speed running: 101 gems in 32 minutes 'better than best case'. No adverts opened. I ran Act 2 heroic, skipping the arena screens and did the last 4* on each. So the gems per minute value I got is a better than best case scenario, because I skipped one of the lowest value * and was using an already levelled character. It's the first time I've tried that and enjoyed it.

Morgenheim: 81 gems in 30 minutes. I used Regalia mage and fairly full clear. I would move backwards if necessary to look for ad boxes to open the maximum possible.

I found the two methods are comparable in terms of farming gems and gold per minute of real life time. Both methods gave me negligible CL in half an hour (0.01. I'm on 2028CL). Morgenheim gave about 3x the essence materials and gemstones per minute so overall Morgenheim is a more efficient place to spend play time.

My conclusion would be that extra gold is a worthwhile stat on speed running gear, but xp is only useful for getting to L70. Also that it's probably simpler just to watch adverts if you want gems, but ... well a bit of speed running seems like fun

Comment

Pardon me if I did not understand, but I seem to be confused here with what looks like "gem" and "gemstone" being used interchangeably in some posts. I was not aware of "Currency Boosters" affecting gem receipts. I have not seen a significant number of gems drop during any farming run. (Gemstones are a different matter, of course.)

As my particular addition to the thread, I use the Daily Challenges and Ad Boxes for my main gem gain. During War Supplies and ANB, gem growth is fruitful, but I tend to run story mode for gems only when I have no other sources -- the gems in story mode are my limited reserve supply.

Comment

lmcelhiney I believe he is comparing the efficiency (in real life time) of farming gems (not gemstones!) in story mode (speedrunning) vs. ad-boxes in Morgenheim.
            Last edited by MarkHark; 09-05-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks MarkHark, yes exactly. You're right lmcelhiney currency boosters don't affect gem drop rates, and they only drop occassionally, one or two per screen at most, plenty of times none. The method of farming gems (as opposed to gemstones) is to complete all 5* on each story mode map which gives 10 gems. If you can complete each map fast enough, it becomes a reasonable way to farm gems.

Comment

It's not so relevant to compare farming ad boxes vs speed running for gems, because speed running can be used to farm ad boxes at the same time.

A more useful comparison would include farming ad boxes during a speed run, and also tracking every resource at the same time (XP, gold, gemstones, and crafting materials).

The best thing I find about speed running is subjective and less tangible, it's actually enjoyable and doesn't feel like grinding.

It just so happens to also be a great source of gems, gemstones, and crafting mats, and a decent source of some types of gear, gold, and XP (if you also use boosted gear at the expense of taking a bit more time).

The majority of XP gained is in certain legendary stages when taking more time to hunt rather than just running to the boss. These stages also yield increased gemstones, gold, and crafting mats.

You can find all the level 72 unique capes you could ever want if you check convenient gemlocked chests during speed runs, of which you can easily afford.

I have several useful level 72 CC and IM capes with high stats (and a few useful hailstorms as well).

As far as i can tell, there is no benefit to having all 5 character slots with maxed heroes, other than the additional storage from upgraded character inventories.

1 character slot for each of the 3 classes is all you need, leaving 2 slots for speed running heroes that are deleted when all story mode stars are obtained if you wish.

This can further improve the speed of your runs giving you more time to upgrade key abilities longer in real time, as one BH is upgrading while you play with one already upgraded.

If your main heroes haven't completed story mode you can even wait till they have any movement speed abilities fully upgraded before you complete story mode stars with your main heroes.

Taking more time for secondary resources (gems being primary) also means abilities levels and synergy stat bonuses will be higher when you start playing a new BH if using 2 character slots for speed running.
                Last edited by Keaven; 09-06-2019, 03:58 AM.
                VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

A more useful comparison would include farming ad boxes during a speed run, and also tracking every resource at the same time (XP, gold, gemstones, and crafting materials).
                  I'll have to try it and report back.

The best thing I find about speed running is subjective and less tangible, it's actually enjoyable and doesn't feel like grinding.

It just so happens to also be a great source of gems, gemstones, and crafting mats, and a decent source of some types of gear, gold, and XP (if you also use boosted gear at the expense of taking a bit more time). ... The majority of XP gained is in certain legendary stages when taking more time to hunt rather than just running to the boss. These stages also yield increased gemstones, gold, and crafting mats.
                  When I was trying this I went for max gems, and ran past everything I could, kill boss, finish. So although gold per minute from the boss chest was decent, gear, xp, essence and materials were poor. I think that could start to feel like a grind after enough runs. I was also tempted to attack big mobs at times because it seemed fun. Maybe the way to play speed runs is to leave out the speed, just play runs with stars available. Kill mobs, open chests, have fun watching the sprinkles. As fast as possible of course, and maybe run past any parts that seem tedious or low value.

Which screens did you find good for xp? I didn't think there was anything in story mode that gave even 1% of the xp available in a run for Trial 100.

Comment

Originally posted by RedJiminy View Post

Which screens did you find good for xp? I didn't think there was anything in story mode that gave even 1% of the xp available in a run for Trial 100.
                    There are no story level modes that are good for experience once you have leveled up. Running story levels eventually contributes about as much experience as run something like Trial Level 20. Using story levels for experience is only useful for lower CL levels. No, I do not know an exact or even rough CL where story levels lose their experience punch. Get high enough CLs and even trial level 80 doesn't move that leveling up bar.

It isn't that the amount of experience earned changes. What changes is the amount of experience needed for the next level gets massive which is why the functional limit for CLs right now is around 2300 and why any hero with a CL of 3000 is immediately considered fraudulent.

Comment

Originally posted by RedJiminy View Post

I'll have to try it and report back.

When I was trying this I went for max gems, and ran past everything I could, kill boss, finish. So although gold per minute from the boss chest was decent, gear, xp, essence and materials were poor. I think that could start to feel like a grind after enough runs. I was also tempted to attack big mobs at times because it seemed fun. Maybe the way to play speed runs is to leave out the speed, just play runs with stars available. Kill mobs, open chests, have fun watching the sprinkles. As fast as possible of course, and maybe run past any parts that seem tedious or low value.

That's pretty much it.

Also, hiting chests in levels that you can stealth from the start (or are killing mobs in legendary) is where you'll boost gold and crafting materials, particularly with maxed scrounger and scrapper perks. I've even had a few marks of titans drop from chests.

When there's big mobs it doesn't take much extra time to kill them off in legendary stages. Whilst the XP is nothing like trials it doesn't add much extra time and adds a bit of variety to speed running that I'm enjoying. Most relevant before you get high in CP levels.

Over time, runs can speed up as you stockpile more than enough secondary resources and gemstones will be the only secondary resource of particular value.

I don't consider my account quite at end-game yet as there's still a few things I need to complete before the end-game grind begins.

For my 3 main characters I've only got one passive ability slot left to unlock, 2 stash columns, a few companions to get, and a few hero inventory rows to unlock with gems. But from the increased gem income I've been cheerfully socketting, reforging, and acuiring useful items from gemlocked quests at leisure in the meantime.

I've also only made one set of top end jewelry so far.

Without doing any XP grinding so far I'm at CP level 730, but once I've made all one off gem purchases and hit end-game II'll need to add XP grinding in trials. By then I'll have more than enough resources to reforge gear as I farm/craft improvements, socket, craft and enchant, customise jewelry, etc.

I'll still be doing speed runs which will cover gem, gemstone, and gold income, but will then alternate with trial grinding for XP, gear, and MoTs.

Speed running this way is a great strategy for newer players. The only significant benefit for anyone already in endgame and around 1000 CP or higher (I imagine) if not needing gems, would be whatever enjoyment can be gained, although I'm sure the extra gems could improve ANB runs. Plus whenever using story mode for farming, or dungeon keys you are getting stars as well.
                      Last edited by Keaven; 09-07-2019, 02:50 AM.
                      VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                      Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

As I'm currently farming TL 85 for gear and XP I'm earning at least one CP level at around 800 CP per trial, and I'm earning about 1 CP level after around 5 stages (all difficulties) by estimate, so although not much, it's still something and the stats I'm sacrificing by using XP and gold on speed run gear aren't neccissary.

The gear I'm after mostly is to farm TL 100 for XP and gear so i can then start the end-game grind for XP and ultimate gear needed for trial progression and ranking.
                        Last edited by Keaven; 09-11-2019, 02:53 AM.
                        VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                        Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Keaven
                          The gear I'm after mostly is to farm TL 100 for XP and gear so i can then start the end-game grind for XP and ultimate gear needed for trial progression and ranking.
                          Don't forget maximized crafting mastery lvl, since getting high lvl set item from drop on TL 100 up randomized/rng factor
                          ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by prima pondaaga View Post
                            Don't forget maximized crafting mastery lvl, since getting high lvl set item from drop on TL 100 up randomized/rng factor
                            ​​​​
                            Did that a while ago.
                            VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                            Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Keaven
                              Did that a while ago.
                              Wew that was fast, while I'm still doing daily crafting got to lvl 43, cgrats btw

Comment

Originally posted by prima pondaaga View Post
                                Wew that was fast, while I'm still doing daily crafting got to lvl 43, cgrats btw
                                Had plenty of resources doing speed runs so knocked it over crafting level 20 epics.
                                VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                                Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Working...
                                X