Revised General Newb Guide discussions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revised General Newb Guide discussions

Hi all, currently working towards updating my "Unlocking guide" due to the Hometown update and figured it might be a better idea to update some of the other existing guides and combining things together.

Currently planning to revise and combine the following into one "Newbie Guide" threadThe Stats, what they mean, how they work is also potentially up for revision, due to the introduction of Haste and changes to the K70 values, but probably should be kept as a separate topic or could also potentially be "replaced" by:
    I'm thinking of doing the same sort of layout as I've done with the other guides: including screen shots, things broken up across multiple "replies" - although I might use the "quote linking" method for easier navigation, will see. It'll take a while to get everything together, but hopefully things will be more up to date and easier for newcomers to understand. All existing threads will be linked and credited accordingly: we can stand tall today because we stand on the shoulders of those that have come before us - so thank you to everyone for their contributions to the game's knowledge base.

Just trying to get a feel for what people think about it all, good/bad/"for the love of ... don't do it" - constructive feedback/criticisms and contributions are always welcomed and appreciated.

Edit:

Started work on the revised guide - still a lot to do...
    Last edited by Nhat; 10-07-2018, 11:37 AM.
    Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 10 Aug 2018)

Eternium Guides:

Nhat very good ideas. It would be a major benefit to consolidate and revise/update the guides you referred to.

As to my "Optimize" threads, I had originally planned to do a part 3 (Toughness), and part 4 (Recovery). Never got around to that. They are "less controversial" topics. If I worked on them, they would be a similar update of, and based on, Schmilo's work. I did a lot of testing to verify the findings in the first 2 threads ... including verifying the "errors" / bugs ... I've wondered if any of those bugs would get fixed. Prolly not. They haven't even bothered to fix the number of Stars.

There is also the in-depth analysis I did, which others contributed significantly to, on Arc Lightning / Arcane Bolts. I'll try to find it and put the link here. IT'S HERE I was thinking about doing a similar treatment of Rending Slash + Frenzy, and then Scatter Shot + Lethal Shot. Each of those 3 discussions could include comparisons to other attacks, that essentially shows why those are the go-to pairs. These would not reveal anything new, per se, but simply confirm the knowledge and the "why" and make it easy to find for newbs.

The developing mage guide by lama75 could be finished. And then someone else could "copy" it but for W & BH, respectively.

My data (and others' data) on gemstone mining, I never re-wrote into a short guide. I've thought recently about collecting data from certain Act IV maps.

Right now, not sure anyone should invest the time if a significant balancing patch will drop soon. It would also be nice if Devs would drop by once in a while and answer the "burning questions" people like Purple Potato have posted, where we simply cannot ever hope to reverse enginee the answer.

It would be nice if we had a Dev update of any kind ... then "more informed" decisions could be made.

I've rambled a bunch. Sorry mate.
    Last edited by Coda; 10-01-2018, 01:18 AM.
    VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381
    ~ Gethi, mage, TL109 mobile & TL121 PC
    ~ Kisheli, XP mage, TL112

~ ANB-beta, TL100 (#1); ANB1, TL116 (top 10); ANB2, TL110 (top 10);
    ANB3, TL112 (top 10)

Comment

I'll try to get a rough outline of the revised guide up this weekend, then people can make more specific feedback - currently, it'll pretty much be the existing information, just updated, split up and hopefully easier to "access"

Agree that there doesn't seem to be much point in doing any sort of in-depth analysis for abilities at the moment, unless something specific comes up that people are interested in. That said, given the existing track record, the balance patch is most likely months away anyway, just hoping for no more hidden changes...

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Updating the newb stuff is worth it now, imo. The Hometown UI makes that a necessity.

Looking through the "Stats" post, I think that needs to be brushed up. I think the AR and CR formulas are incorrect, for instance.

I'll probably create a formal "guide" rather for mage at this point. I've got it roughed out in my head, so maybe later this week I'll have a first pass at that.
        CL 2K+
        Mage- Ladim(#9 Live LB), Proxima(XP)
        TL119 in 9:14 on mobile (iphone8)

Mage Guide

Comment

Thumbs up! I vote yes!

Comment

hmm, the quotes toc looks a bit messy, but at least you can navigate within the same tab/window - thoughts?

Please note that it's still a very rough draft at the moment, having just extracted things from the existing Newb guide, and I'm sure I'll be moving things around a fair bit to get a proper "flow" for things...

Any advise for the general ordering of things would be appreciated, and/or additonal/removal of contents.
            Last edited by Nhat; 10-07-2018, 11:43 AM.

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Very preliminary impressions:

Over in the guide, I will refer to the post #.

#1 - keep it as brutally short as possible

#2 - keep the preamble as short as possible; no "version history" , or put the version history at the end or in this discussion thread

#2 - I understand why you used the quote format. It is a great idea for how to trick The Forum into doing what you want with links to same or new windows. You are right that it looks different, and that is partly because we are not used to seeing it that way. It also takes up more space. Although that is a negative, it may be a trade-off one must except in order to have the functionality. It is unfortunate that you cannot edit / customize the text.

VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381

ANB3, TL112 (top 10)

Comment

General comment about pictures:

I use the button circled in this image:

That brings up this window to upload:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20181007-084618_Chrome.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	115380

~
                And then after tap/click "Send to Server", one arrives at this window:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20181007-084745_Chrome.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	115381

~

This let's you customize the picture much more, and then also displays it "embedded inline" at a good size.

Your pictures are all "small" and require tapping on them to view them.

Screenshot of your pictures being small:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181007_085516.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	115382
                ~
                Last edited by Coda; 10-07-2018, 12:57 PM.
                VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381

ANB3, TL112 (top 10)

Comment

Thanks Coda, will have a look.

I've simply been using the "Clipboard" attachment with "Thumbnail" inserts for the screenshots. It's a trade off for image size versus overall post length and loading time, I suppose. See your point about having to open them to see properly though.

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Pics: didn't mean to imply "all or none". Some pics are better as icons, links. Others, are better as "full size" embedded inline.

Author gets sole discretion which method to use.

Was just trying to point out the other method of including pics into a post.
                    VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381

ANB3, TL112 (top 10)

Comment

In the Stats section Haste has been left out again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tralfaz View Post
                        In the Stats section Haste has been left out again.
                        Please note that things are still a very rough work-in-progress and I've pretty much only coppied sections of the existing information so far, with very limitted cleanup/update.

Thanks for the reminder though, and I have just updated that particular part with the current formulas: https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...374#post115374

Eternium Guides:

Comment

I meant no slight. You've taken on a very large task. It's much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tralfaz View Post
                            I meant no slight. You've taken on a very large task. It's much appreciated.
                            All good, it was just in case you (and others) thought it's been revised - long way to go, will get there eventually.

Eternium Guides:

Comment

A few minor things that I, as a new player, would note that I didn't read in any guide:

-You don't need to run across the map to pick things up - everything will fly to your character after beating a level/trial.
                              -In the devices section: If playing on multiple devices, settings are shared, including Draw Distance - so if you like to use 150% on an emulator and 100% on your mobile device, you have to switch back and forth.
                              -Alacrity - I don't think the noob guide mentions it, and the one place I can find info when searching (https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/th...g-and-alacrity), talks about "the passive ability that does xyz". However, nowhere does it say that this is an ability built in to every character in the game. When I started, I read that, saw "passive ability", looked at my abilities and didn't see one there, and assumed it was for a different class. A description of what Alacrity is and does should totally be in the noob guide, whether it's in the stats section, general section, or on its own.
                              -Un-socketing gemstones is cheap, don't be afraid to socket things (I thought it might cost gems when I started).
                              -A list of how long each level of ability takes to update might be really useful. (10m, 15m, 30m, x, x, x, x, x, 72h - I'd have to test each to see. It sure is annoying to start one and see that it'll finish in the middle of the night. I guess this is on the wiki.

Comment

Working...
                              X