Question for PC players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for PC players

Is it legal to use a controller/joystick adapter instead of mouse and keys for PC play? And if so does anybody play with such a controller/oystick adaptor? I am a mobile only player but on a whim discovered this afternoon that I could download Eternium on an old work PC and gave it a whirl. Gameplay is def smoother than on phone, but I have never played PC games using mouse and keystrokes and my technique is awful. Like I can beat TL 111 on mobile and on PC could barely beat TL 100 lol. I think if I could play PC using a kind of SNES or PlayStation esque controller then I'd do much better; otherwise mobile is where I'll stay. But I don't know if there even are such controllers adaptable to Eternium on PC and if so whether they are allowed. Anybody on PC know some stuff about this?

PS I get that I am dating myself as an old dude by my refs to SNES and Playststion but whatever. My name gives it away in any case.
    Mobile only player
    Assault BH Tunre TL 111 in 9:44

I'm pretty effing old myself. I played this game on mobile-only for a long time. Got to TL109 back when the builds and techniques were such that the top player was only ~113, IIRC. Others have since gotten even higher on mobile ... the high teens I believe. Anyways, when I got left behind and the forum discussion made it obvious that PC had an advantage, I finally reluctantly gave it a try.

At first I sucked on PC. For a while I did. Like anything, with practice you get better. On PC, you have your mouse hand, moving and clicking=attacking primary or secondary. Then with your other hand, you train 3 fingers to cast main spells, and even minion spells if you want. Then, if you want, you can follow the guide to use AHK for potions, instead of moving the mouse.

Having all those ways to spread out the burden of issuing commands is a huge advantage. I am not into PC gaming enough to know about a joystick nor a high-performance gaming mouse/keyboard. I just use my normal mouse and keyboard.

I enjoy the game on mobile, more. But for pushing high trials, I only got there by using the PC.
    VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Originally posted by Coda View Post
      I'm pretty effing old myself. I played this game on mobile-only for a long time. Got to TL109 back when the builds and techniques were such that the top player was only ~113, IIRC. Others have since gotten even higher on mobile ... the high teens I believe. Anyways, when I got left behind and the forum discussion made it obvious that PC had an advantage, I finally reluctantly gave it a try.

At first I sucked on PC. For a while I did. Like anything, with practice you get better. On PC, you have your mouse hand, moving and clicking=attacking primary or secondary. Then with your other hand, you train 3 fingers to cast main spells, and even minion spells if you want. Then, if you want, you can follow the guide to use AHK for potions, instead of moving the mouse.

Having all those ways to spread out the burden of issuing commands is a huge advantage. I am not into PC gaming enough to know about a joystick nor a high-performance gaming mouse/keyboard. I just use my normal mouse and keyboard.

I enjoy the game on mobile, more. But for pushing high trials, I only got there by using the PC.
      Not having to cast Smoke Screen on boss' target area but just hitting keystroke that automatically hits engaged boss is huge advantage. Smoke Screen is the hardest gesture for me to pull off when things get hairy and is often the most important. I don't know how many trials past 100 I've had to quit because of one miscast SS at some crucial moment during mob or boss phase. On PC you just hit "3" and voila. At least that's what I noticed in my very awkward traipse through TL 100. Also you can actually dodge on PC. Holy Cow. When I try to dodge on TL 112 on mobile it usually doesn't end well. On PC you can literally run circles around mobs--not that you'd want to, but that kind of maneuverability is just not possible on mobile I think. Or if it is I want somebody to show me how they pull it off.

PS. I can't make SS one of the easier gestures because it's even MORE important that I hit all my RFs and Snipes, so that I can then die while miscasting that sideways open triangle/greater-than sign. Lol
      Last edited by Oldmobilenewbie; 10-27-2018, 06:19 AM.
      Mobile only player

Comment

What is old? I hear references about being old, but why does it matter everyone is aging every day. I am 42 and I enjoy this game! Be proud people and I find myself grateful I am not living in my parents basement Lol!!!!! (No offense if this is your current situation just a joke we used in our youth) Happy Gaming no matter what your age my friends!

Comment

Sorry, about the topic if I had a decent PC I would give it a go but all I have is a amazon fire tablet I use a stylus until I get to the boss then i let my fingers fly!

Comment

I started Eternium on tablet, then installed on PC to push my Mage for higher Trials.

I've played PC games for over 20 years and am more used to mouse + keyboard and I never use a controller.

It does take some practice to get used to the keystrokes etc and to be able to see the mouse pointer.

Once you get used to it a bit more, it will become easier and is certainly worth the time taken to play on PC - the game is a lot smoother for FPS. Faster for XP farming too, in my view.

As Coda mentioned, look for AutoHotKey to set up keystrokes for potion + apple on PC. It really helps.

Drop down to Trial 80 or 90, making the killing easier, until you get used to the keystrokes and mouse and you may find the PC learning curve a little less frustrating.

Comment

Thanks. The only PC I have access to is at work and I won't be playing much there for obvious reasons. So I'll basically have to stick to mobile which is way more convenient for me anyway. I asked about the controller because I recently bought my kids the SNES preloaded reissue and have been playing Super Metroid with them (that is an amazing, amazing game, by the way, if you don't know it.)
              Mobile only player

Comment

I would take wagers that I’m older than any of y’all
                Wits, level 70 BH
                Mahmage, level 70 Mage
                Eshusi, level ?? Warrior
                Ebati, level 70 Mage (experience)
                Deadeye, level 70 BH (Farmer)

GAGI KAMI SINE 2170

Comment

"The oldest PC can be traced back to Adam and Eve. It was an apple but with extremely limited memory. Just 1 byte. And then everything crashed"

Comment

Originally posted by TheExorcist View Post
                    "The oldest PC can be traced back to Adam and Eve. It was an apple but with extremely limited memory. Just 1 byte. And then everything crashed"
                    and it had a 60 second cooldown /nod

Comment

Originally posted by Wits View Post
                      I would take wagers that I’m older than any of y’all
                      Maybe, maybe not.
                      Mobile & PC player: Android, Win10
                      Ravenstar - BH (Assault), T100+
                      Magenta - mage (ELR), T100+
                      Greystone - BH (Assault, Au/Xp miner), T100+
                      Rageon - Warrior (Jugg), T100+

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmobilenewbie View Post
                        Is it legal to use a controller/joystick adapter instead of mouse and keys for PC play? And if so does anybody play with such a controller/oystick adaptor? I am a mobile only player but on a whim discovered this afternoon that I could download Eternium on an old work PC and gave it a whirl. Gameplay is def smoother than on phone, but I have never played PC games using mouse and keystrokes and my technique is awful. Like I can beat TL 111 on mobile and on PC could barely beat TL 100 lol. I think if I could play PC using a kind of SNES or PlayStation esque controller then I'd do much better; otherwise mobile is where I'll stay. But I don't know if there even are such controllers adaptable to Eternium on PC and if so whether they are allowed. Anybody on PC know some stuff about this?

PS I get that I am dating myself as an old dude by my refs to SNES and Playststion but whatever. My name gives it away in any case.
                        I never heard of any input restrictions on playing this game. I play mainly mobile, on tablet, and have used both fingers and stylus. I have also played on PC, and used fingers, touchpad and trackball, and I have a lot of improving to do before I become competitive on PC. Seems that just because mouse/joy stick is used to improve aiming, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with that. Afterall, it's not like you are using technology that gives you an unfair advantage and that isn't available for others to use. I could see there being an issue if you were using some type of targeting bot that took out all targets without you doing anything. But I don't think using a better mouse is considered cheating, unless you are playing head to head and other player doesn't have same opportunity.

BTW "old guy Wits" the first video game I ever played was Pong, in a bowling alley, and I was old enough to drive, not a kid. The next games were loaded onto a computer and played using a 5" floppy disk. The ones I can remember are Breakout and Space Invaders. In the 1980s there were the car racing games that you played from a console on your TV from Atari. I think the first computer game I played that had characters and a storyline was the original DOOM or Prince of Persia, both loaded from multiple 3" discs on an old PC, early 1990s. So I'll go out on a limb and say, I bet you're not that old.

Comment

Originally posted by RockDoc View Post
                          ...a 5" floppy disk.
                          5.25"*

Comment

Technically you could map the buttons and sticks of the controller to keyboard and mouse. Don't know how well an analogue stick would replicate mouse movement and left and right click buttons though.

Comment

Originally posted by ྿༻Travis༺྿ (Support Mgr.) View Post
                              5.25"*
                              See, it's been so many years it shrunk a quarter of an inch. LOL

On a different forum I saw a player who noted he was 73. He's got me beat
                              Last edited by RockDoc; 05-09-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X