Game Meta Evolution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Meta Evolution

I debated on whether to post this under suggestions or general discussion. But I decided on here because ultimately I hope to spark a conversation about where we all like to see the game evolving to. This is a more general topic than say "here is a problem I see and here is the solution to fix it". So with that out of the way, let me launch into what "I" would like to see the game meta evolving to.

1) Bigger relative player HP Pools: At high trials, the typical player HP pool is only good enough to take 1-2 heavy hits. I would like to see one that can take 10-15 heavy hits. This doesn't mean there is no 1HKO. Rather a normal attack (not specials) from an elite mob shouldn't drop us to half dead status. Ideally this 10-15 heavy hit player HP is the base, meaning with concentrated investments in defensive stats (see below for that), one can up the HP pool to 30+ heavy hits.

2) Rescale LoH/Recovery so that mob encounters are not either life/death or trivial. This combined with the larger effective hp pool, allows player to stand and trade for a time, but not indefinitely like how it is currently (thus trivializing the encounter).

3) Make non crit attacks more relevant. Currently critical damage is so high and so prevalent in every attack that all non crits feel like wet noodle. Am I using the axe of doom or feather duster? sometimes it's really hard to tell.

4) Have greater stat diversity and allow people to do dps and survive in the fashion they most desire. Currently there is only the optimal path everyone looks like carbon copy of each other.

Ok so those are the four general directions I would like to see the game meta evolve towards. Next I will have some specific recommendations or ways to make it happen.

For 4), break all stats into four groups. 3 DPS and 1 Defensive. 1) Normal Attack, 2) Skill Damage, 3) Proc Damage, 4) Defensive. So stats will affect one of four groups. Where as today, stats like Power, CD, CR affect all 3 DPS, AR affect 1, Haste affect all four etc. Examples: Multi strike (% for proc to hit multiple targets instead of 1) only affects proc, Power only affects normal attack, Skill Focus only affects Skill Damage, etc etc. This way players can build their character in their own way, focusing on things that they enjoy the most while playing. This also opens up far greater build varieties. One example for mobile players, focus on proc and/or normal attacks. Those don't need user input to work thus suffers less from the mobile input limitations. This also means instead of DPS skills, they can use more utility/buff/debuff oriented skills. The current meta simply means ppl will always use the 3 "optimal" skills and ignore the others. Also defensive stats should have greater impact on the base HP pool so that heavy investment can truly make a difference. going from taking 2hits to 4hits doesn't change much.. but 15 to 30/40 hits make a huge difference.

For 3) Change CD/CR interaction. In order to make normal attacks not like wet noodles, we should probably drop CD entirely and just have it set has a flat 2-3X. I suspect the mobs also use some form of the current CD meta thus the mob damage can vary so dramatically especially in high trial. This makes the effective player HP pool very unstable (it can tank 20 normal hits but only 2 crit mob hits).

For 1 and 2), Dramatically scale down mob damage will make player's HP pool far more usable. If I'm right about mob also using a version of the player CD/CR, then all one needs to do is make the mob crit only 2-3x just like my suggestion for 3). Also make mob normal attack damage unavoidable. But make specials move dodge-able. This gives defensive stats like dodge, parry, block more utility in the gameplay. Currently PC precise movements can move-dodge 90+% incoming mob damage. With far higher effective player HP pool, this is no longer necessary and make the progression more smooth across the difficulty curve. This also leads to more forgiving gameplay where a single errand arrow from an elite archer doesn't ruin someone's day (or 8mins).

Now the floor is open.
    GAQO KITO REZO 1934

More set gear. That is what we need. To make other skills more relevent.

Comment

Thoughts...
      I personally like the ability to get wiped out in 1-2 hits. It makes me alert and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I clear a trial. The only reason I cleared is because I learned the fight and know the mobs. If I can doze off and take 30 hits before dead... well shoot i'll just stack more HP and play lazy style until I reach such a level where I can't take any hits. Meaning the brick wall will come a lot quicker than it does now.
      I would like to see some dodge rating enchants added to give players that little extra nudge.
      Currently I focus on warrior and there is not one clear cut path to follow. Sword and board or duel wield. Should I stack more AR over power or haste?... well it all depends on play style. Just because you follow someone in the top 1% of trials doesn't necessarily mean that their build is the end all. There may be a build that's just as effective yet completely different.
      Room for improvement. Sure there could be some balance done on the various gear sets and across the different classes. I see it as of right now we are purely PVE and it really doesn't matter.
      Last edited by Spyclown; 01-21-2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arionthe View Post
        ...Currently there is only the optimal path everyone looks like carbon copy of each other...
        This. Everyone. Like seriously every single player in all the top 100 is rocking the same gear set. Before adventurer was buffed to legendary, it was the same. After, it still is the same. Just everyone switching to this set now. Yes, this is a giant problem the game has and it is one of the main reasons why they have the balance patch ready (should bring more sets).

I will hunt you Ragadam, across the worlds!
        Join the wiki here: http://mage-minions.wikia.com/wiki/Page_Index

Comment

The problem is that right now there is only one play style that is challenging/rewarding: Trials. And since trials are timed that dictates a certain build. So everyone will optimize for that. If you add HP all that will happen is that people will de-emphasize defense and put more in offense and will just reach higher trial levels. The only way to change the meta is to change the goal, so as long as Trials are the be-all/end-all, nothing else really matters.

Comment

I debated on whether to post this under suggestions or general discussion. But I decided on here because ultimately I hope to spark a conversation about where we all like to see the game evolving to. This is a more general topic than say "here is a problem I see and here is the solution to fix it". So with that out of the way, let me launch into what "I" would like to see the game meta evolving to.

1) Bigger relative player HP Pools: At high trials, the typical player HP pool is only good enough to take 1-2 heavy hits. I would like to see one that can take 10-15 heavy hits. This doesn't mean there is no 1HKO. Rather a normal attack (not specials) from an elite mob shouldn't drop us to half dead status. Ideally this 10-15 heavy hit player HP is the base, meaning with concentrated investments in defensive stats (see below for that), one can up the HP pool to 30+ heavy hits.

2) Rescale LoH/Recovery so that mob encounters are not either life/death or trivial. This combined with the larger effective hp pool, allows player to stand and trade for a time, but not indefinitely like how it is currently (thus trivializing the encounter).

3) Make non crit attacks more relevant. Currently critical damage is so high and so prevalent in every attack that all non crits feel like wet noodle. Am I using the axe of doom or feather duster? sometimes it's really hard to tell.

4) Have greater stat diversity and allow people to do dps and survive in the fashion they most desire. Currently there is only the optimal path everyone looks like carbon copy of each other.

Ok so those are the four general directions I would like to see the game meta evolve towards. Next I will have some specific recommendations or ways to make it happen.

For 4), break all stats into four groups. 3 DPS and 1 Defensive. 1) Normal Attack, 2) Skill Damage, 3) Proc Damage, 4) Defensive. So stats will affect one of four groups. Where as today, stats like Power, CD, CR affect all 3 DPS, AR affect 1, Haste affect all four etc. Examples: Multi strike (% for proc to hit multiple targets instead of 1) only affects proc, Power only affects normal attack, Skill Focus only affects Skill Damage, etc etc. This way players can build their character in their own way, focusing on things that they enjoy the most while playing. This also opens up far greater build varieties. One example for mobile players, focus on proc and/or normal attacks. Those don't need user input to work thus suffers less from the mobile input limitations. This also means instead of DPS skills, they can use more utility/buff/debuff oriented skills. The current meta simply means ppl will always use the 3 "optimal" skills and ignore the others. Also defensive stats should have greater impact on the base HP pool so that heavy investment can truly make a difference. going from taking 2hits to 4hits doesn't change much.. but 15 to 30/40 hits make a huge difference.

For 3) Change CD/CR interaction. In order to make normal attacks not like wet noodles, we should probably drop CD entirely and just have it set has a flat 2-3X. I suspect the mobs also use some form of the current CD meta thus the mob damage can vary so dramatically especially in high trial. This makes the effective player HP pool very unstable (it can tank 20 normal hits but only 2 crit mob hits).

For 1 and 2), Dramatically scale down mob damage will make player's HP pool far more usable. If I'm right about mob also using a version of the player CD/CR, then all one needs to do is make the mob crit only 2-3x just like my suggestion for 3). Also make mob normal attack damage unavoidable. But make specials move dodge-able. This gives defensive stats like dodge, parry, block more utility in the gameplay. Currently PC precise movements can move-dodge 90+% incoming mob damage. With far higher effective player HP pool, this is no longer necessary and make the progression more smooth across the difficulty curve. This also leads to more forgiving gameplay where a single errand arrow from an elite archer doesn't ruin someone's day (or 8mins).

Now the floor is open.
            There is talk of new set items.
            and several new stats have been proposed.
            Like ability damage that would only raise damage to abilities
            Lord Emperor of Bridge Navigational Systems Engineer for:
            Eternium 2: Rise of the bounty Hunters
            see post:https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...pply-for-a-job
            and https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...414-eternium-2

Do NOT hire Xagan! He works for the enemy!!!

Friend code: GEBA WABE WADI 4184

If it's spelled bad. Horrible Grammar. Random words. No photo I was talking about. Or cut off mid sentence...
            It's my tablet, I'm sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Cultusfit View Post

There is talk of new set items.
              and several new stats have been proposed.
              Like ability damage that would only raise damage to abilities
              Hold up, power adds to abilites. So would this still be the case or would it be a secondary boost to abilities? It be cool if we had new sets. I want a set that lets me shoot out 3 frost beams lmao if it is at a boss it is like 1 huge ass frost beam. On the set it can have a chance to cast frost nova lol. I want to make a cold mage so bad. But yeah, I want to see sets and new skills so you can make a fire mage, cold mage, turn singularity into lightning damage and have a lightning mage and so on. Then you can get items, named items or whatever that can boost said element damage. More diversity is what the game needs but it will probably still come down to a single winner like any other game. There is always 1 set that outperforms the rest and then everyone is a clone of each other again.

Comment

Let me drill down on that stat/build diversity angel a little more. I specifically broke down DPS into three groups because I had three archetype in mind. The game mechanics also naturally lends itself into those three categories.

Normal attack: the simple point and click auto attack.

DPS utility skills: targetting required uber skills that lay waste to mobs or the boss

DPS Procs: triggered DPS source that can be influenced but not controlled by the player.

Archetype 1) I'm a brute, I workout everyday and see my bulging biceps? I'm a devotee of SUBMISSION BY BLUNT. FORCE. TRAUMA. I aint got time for plans, strategies, and tactics. All the stats/builds aim to make my every autoattack blow more bloody. I invest in POWER, HASTE, CRITICAL %. I hit hard and I hit often! As far as the random skills that I use.. those will be the buff/debuff type. Things like SS, BR, (healing utility which we have little of in this game). Allowing my strikes to hit harder, trade damage with enemies for longer. Extremely simple playstyle. Probably good for the newbies to Eternium. Also easy to maximize a build's potential regardless the player's device (PC or mobile).

Archetype 2) Calculating battle tacticians who focus on "nuke" skills. Ability Power, Ability Rating, Ability Critical %, Ability Critical Damage % are the stats these players invest in. Those nuke skills are spectacular but needs precise placement to extract maximum benefit. Hence a PC player will naturally maximize this archetype. Their normal attacks are the wet noodle variety due to lack of investment in POWER, HASTE, CRITICAL %, but it doesn't matter when you see what DEATH FROM ABOVE truly means as tens of fireballs blanket an area. Mobile players are welcome to try to make it a go with this.. but hey at least they have other options now instead of just this archetype.

Archetype 3) Mad scientist /tinkerer. These focus on gear, specifically DPS proc gears. They got rockets strapped to their backs, lightning canons on their shoulders and spinning knives contraptions hidden in their cloaks. The stats they care about are Multi Strike %, Proc Power (think nitro for fuel and depleted uranium for bullets), Proc Critical %(laser guidance system), Ricochet %(chance to hit another target after 1st with the proc). Their weak muscles also means their normal auto attacks are a joke, but those spinning death wheels flying everywhere in the battlefield will quickly silence any doubters of their combat effectiveness. Since most of their DPS comes from procs, which means battle field positioning can yield some tactical advantage (think Stalker BH wants to line up the mobs in a line for maxium snipe proc dmg). So they fall in the middle of archetype 1 and 2 as far as how important battlefield tactical movement is. But it should stress a mobile player less than archetype 2 as targetting isn't as important. This archetype also focus on buff/debuff for utilities as they don't have the stat budget to make nuke utilities truly shine.

That's three very distinct playstyles for players to choose from. More importantly offers an avenue to truly balance PC/mobile players. For example if LB is dominated by archetype 2 players(I suspect PC will dominate this type), Devs just need to juice up the stats for archetype 1 and 3. Like the failed attempts at "tiger proofing" golf courses, the tournament directors forgot that golfers still have to play the same course. Here golfers have choice of different clubs. Some are more forgiving (thus makes one's ability to hit a shot stiff less of an advantage), but also reduces one's ability to shape the shot. Hope this example clearly demonstrate the advantages of moving the game meta towards multi (3) DPS archetypes.
                GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post
                  The only way to change the meta is to change the goal, so as long as Trials are the be-all/end-all, nothing else really matters.
                  I couldn't agree more. Crafting update was super nice, but it can't help but feeling a bit cosmetic to veteran players discussing meta.

I do think we need a new goal that can benefit both old and new player. I really hope that they provide that with up-coming balancing patch. Or in a daily mission/achievements update.

Speaking of which,

Does anyone have any clever goals with realistic numbers in mind? And for mission/achievement rewards?

Comment

That's three very distinct playstyles for players to choose from. More importantly offers an avenue to truly balance PC/mobile players. For example if LB is dominated by archetype 2 players(I suspect PC will dominate this type), Devs just need to juice up the stats for archetype 1 and 3. Like the failed attempts at "tiger proofing" golf courses, the tournament directors forgot that golfers still have to play the same course. Here golfers have choice of different clubs. Some are more forgiving (thus makes one's ability to hit a shot stiff less of an advantage), but also reduces one's ability to shape the shot. Hope this example clearly demonstrate the advantages of moving the game meta towards multi (3) DPS archetypes.
                    Sounds awesome!

Now let's say I am a warrior who wanna build your archetype 2 character. What boosts should I see in my abilities by balancing or gear update?

I feel like devastate is very under utilized because of the idle time. It either needs to proc more or do more damage. Or let us buff an evasive/health or lethal combo during the idle time.

Comment

I think I just posted this on the wrong thread:

​Not knowing what is on the table makes it difficult to suggest changes. This said, some of things I'd like to see:

Warrior
                      1. Remove the +armor 2-piece bonus from Defender, move the 4 and 6 piece bonuses to 2 and 4, make the new 6-piece into 20-25% of Armor total as a bonus to Power.

2. As above, this time removing the power bonus from Juggernaut, making the new 6-piece bonus a ~20-25% armor penetration. Other options could involve fixing Devastate, either having it ignore armor, make it a cleaving strike which doesn't replace your basic attack when used, and/or making the Juggernaut 6-piece greatly reduce the recharge (like Assault 6 does for Rapid Fire on BH). I definitely never want to have Devastate make me fly around the screen aggroing mobs like Xagan on crack, like it does now.

3. If we can fix Defender and Juggernaut, a Dot-based set which compliments Rending Slash/Shockwave would be appropriate.

4. Legendary Unique/Named Axe. We have extra attacks and utility minions already. A big damage or LoH-replacing ability or proc would be great. Maybe even something which specifically interacts with Frenzy, Leap, or Charge. Mages have enough toys already, Warrior should have an interesting option to abuse.

BH

1. Try making Stalker a little better, either by reverting the previous Snipe and Concussion/Lethal changes, or buff Poisoned Ammunition.

2. Buff Havoc. This could be done multiple ways, by increasing AoE blast radius, AoE damage, or even making piercing Explosive Ammo shots continue exploding on successive targets.

​​3. Assault is fine.

Mage

1. Arcanist is already a high risk/reward set. A Time Warp proc, buffed Blink-clone damage, a small % chance for Arcane Bolts to pierce... Something could definitely change to incentivize this set VS the safety and free Immolates of Apprentice would make things more interesting.

2. Apprentice is fine.

3. Unknown "Elemental" set. The idea would be to make Fire and Ice basic attacks better. There are quite a few ways this can happen, although cool downs and procs may be easiest. Something as simple as a stacking buff, like say, 2% more damage per basic attack for 10 seconds for same-element, stacking up to 10 times (ie spam Frostbolt and your Blizzard does more damage) could make for interesting play.

Adventurer:

Send it back to being a purple leveling set for each class. Maybe tack on a 5%-10% XP bonus, on top of the stat bonuses, per 2-4-6 piece bonus. Increase the drop rate pre-70, no drops at all post-70. Continue allowing fans of the set to craft Legendary versions if they want them.
                      ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Trouble View Post
                        I think I just posted this on the wrong thread...​​​
                        You did. I deleted it (after seeing it here).

Comment

Originally posted by andrewcb88 View Post

Hold up, power adds to abilites. So would this still be the case or would it be a secondary boost to abilities? It be cool if we had new sets. I want a set that lets me shoot out 3 frost beams lmao if it is at a boss it is like 1 huge ass frost beam. On the set it can have a chance to cast frost nova lol. I want to make a cold mage so bad. But yeah, I want to see sets and new skills so you can make a fire mage, cold mage, turn singularity into lightning damage and have a lightning mage and so on. Then you can get items, named items or whatever that can boost said element damage. More diversity is what the game needs but it will probably still come down to a single winner like any other game. There is always 1 set that outperforms the rest and then everyone is a clone of each other again.
                          Idea is power would still add
                          But the Ability Power would add ONLY to abilities but at a slightly higher rate.

There was talk of an element set for mages.

There is a bunch of talk, and once awhile they mention things they are throwing around the office. We never see them but they atleast think on them.
                          Lord Emperor of Bridge Navigational Systems Engineer for:
                          Eternium 2: Rise of the bounty Hunters
                          see post:https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...pply-for-a-job
                          and https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...414-eternium-2

Do NOT hire Xagan! He works for the enemy!!!

Friend code: GEBA WABE WADI 4184

If it's spelled bad. Horrible Grammar. Random words. No photo I was talking about. Or cut off mid sentence...
                          It's my tablet, I'm sorry

Comment

I think BAgate gets it exactly right and that Arionthe is approaching the problem from the wrong angle. There's really nothing wrong with trials as they currently exist. I mean, sure, there are quibbles about things like chargers seemingly going berserk flying around until the kill you and Magroth charging straight through a freeze and killing you. But it's a game and the trials provide enough challenge that people want to compete in them.

If you want a new meta, or a different meta, I think the better approach is to propose a different game mode that would necessarily emphasize a different build for heroes. Trials, because they are a race against the clock, necessarily emphasize offense. So if you want something more balanced, ask yourself what kind of game mode would put the emphasis on that? Probably something that isn't time based, for starters...

The things proposed by the OP really constitute a different game, imo. I think you need to work within the frame work that exists.
                            CL 2K+
                            Mage- Ladim(#9 Live LB), Proxima(XP)
                            TL119 in 9:14 on mobile (iphone8)

Mage Guide

Comment

Now the floor is open.
                              1+2) Vit/HP is already way to important(HP and shields scale with it) and it's the only useful defensive stat(besides LoH) and has no diminishing returns.
                              Block/Parry/Dodge are no stats to go for on gear(only drop on gloves and capes) and are pretty much class exclusive: Warrior with Shield and block passive is enough investment for a shield Warrior, same with parry and parry passive; BH has trouble as well to get dodge besides what comes from the innate class ability. On top of that a high enough HP pool is needed, if that defensive laver is breached. More options to scale up B/P/D and passives would be great, possibly a rework. Currently they're not useless per se, but the amount required to make them useful is not obtainable at all. They should be rescaled and be easier to obtain on gear. Additional/reworked passive would also be great.
                              Armor investment isn't really worth it either as on the high end it diminishes too much and it's just better to invest into Vitality instead.
                              Regeneration is far outclassed by LoH: On gear LoH values are 5 times as much as Regen and on top of that LoH scales with AS, making it 30+ times(modest estimation of ~6 AS, a lot of players go even higher) as effective when attacking(and that's the case almost all the time). And that's not even considering LoH interactions with skills(looking at you, Singularity).

3) It'd be quite bad to scale down CD as it makes 90% of the current gear useless. Better ways would be for example to introduce a passive, that boosts non-crit damage by X%(and possibly makes impossible to crit) or introduce skills, that can't crit at all, but deal immense base damage to make up for it. Reworking Damage Reflect as unabled to crit, but high base damage would also diminish the value of crits(at least for certain builds).

4)I don't think we need that many more stats and would rather like to see the currently existing ones and their interactions reworked. Balancing between Attack proc, skill proc attack power, skill power,... would be such a pain and I'd like to keep it simple. So basically make B/P/D, Armor and DR viable(maybe add/rework some passives, skills, sets) would be better. However, I'd like to see some additional effects/skills as enchants for gear. Examples would be multistrike(repeat and attack(like Deidre's Resolve)), additional projectiles(chance for additional projectile for all ranged attacks(including skills)), splash/area damage, chance to reset cooldowns, cheat death(invulnerable for short time after taking too much damage(with cooldown of course)),...
                              MULU FIGU DUFE 7374

Comment

Working...
                              X