No announcement yet.

New ANB is Pay to Play/Win

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to chip in on this one as well. I think OP has a point. This event encourages more P2W than prior ANB events. Where as before people who wanted to spend money could do that and compete that way. People who did not want to spend money to compete could spend A LOT of time and compete that way. This new change does not even out the field in any way. It narrows the field.

The 3 consecutive weeks of ANB with now a bronze, silver and gold league is a very elaborate scheme known from other P2W dominated games. The idea is that people will spend all of their saved up gems in the first week or the first two weeks and when the final week comes and the real competition begins, people are out of gems, they are so close to the best rewards, they then panic and spend money to win. Not only because they want to win, but because they have already invested so many gems in the event and to walk away without the rewards will feel like a defeat.

To everyone saying "just save up gems, i have 12k" - you are missing the point completely. Obviously you can play, compete, have fun and get some rewards without spending money. But in order to WIN, with the newly implemented limited time, you have to spend money. Where as in the old ANB event, you could just play for 80 hours during the week and win.

Comment

Originally posted by Shilien View Post
      Last ANB I met newbie with 20 gems without any purchases and finished about 54 with 2 celestials. This time I saved 5300 gems, now at TL76 606CL, 1800 gems and 6 hours left. You don't have to be pro or spend money at all to get nice rewards.
      ​​​​​Just collect gems and have a good time.
      Exactly! I started with 5.6k (free) gems and down only by 1.2k. got 2 CBoxes, not bad IMO and certainly not p2w (as of now)

Comment

In each corner everywhere there will be those who pay for the victory, and we have a nice event, where many of those could be seen. Maybe in a new type of ANB they just became more visible in the same quantity. Anyway that is their right.

Comment

Originally posted by Thug Life View Post
          I want to chip in on this one as well. I think OP has a point. This event encourages more P2W than prior ANB events. Where as before people who wanted to spend money could do that and compete that way. People who did not want to spend money to compete could spend A LOT of time and compete that way. This new change does not even out the field in any way. It narrows the field.

The 3 consecutive weeks of ANB with now a bronze, silver and gold league is a very elaborate scheme known from other P2W dominated games. The idea is that people will spend all of their saved up gems in the first week or the first two weeks and when the final week comes and the real competition begins, people are out of gems, they are so close to the best rewards, they then panic and spend money to win. Not only because they want to win, but because they have already invested so many gems in the event and to walk away without the rewards will feel like a defeat.

To everyone saying "just save up gems, i have 12k" - you are missing the point completely. Obviously you can play, compete, have fun and get some rewards without spending money. But in order to WIN, with the newly implemented limited time, you have to spend money. Where as in the old ANB event, you could just play for 80 hours during the week and win.
          Exactly. I just stopped responding to this thread because everyone seemed to be a retarded shill... but at least someone else gets it. THis is exactly what they're doing. Like I said... I understand they have to make money, but this is ridiculous.

Comment

The event isn't pay to win imo and I'd rather have a time limit then play for hours on end and get burnt out.
            You clearly haven't played a real p2w game if you think this game is p2w.

Comment

It's funny seeing people claim "It's p2w: people who buy packs have an advantage" and others "It's not p2w: I got 2 celestials without spending any money" and both have a good point!

In case you haven't noticed: the "win" in "p2w" is completely subjective and different for each person. It can be the 1st spot in the leaderboards (as in "no other rank matters"), or it could be top100, or it could be 2 free celestials or even "I had so much fun and ended up with some fantastic upgrades for my main hero". None of them would have a wrong definition of win.

Now, in the first 4 ANBs, a casual, good player, who knows the mechanics, understands the differences of builds and classes and has a reasonable amount of time to invest on the event, could be steamrolled by less skilled players that belong in 2 different categories: the guy who buys everything (and I'm talking "lvl10 skills 3 hours into the event"-kind of everything) and the guy who farms relentlessly 23 hours per day, ending up with 100s of CLs more than what your semi-casual play gave you.

This new kind of ANB, "takes care" of only the guy #2, who can no longer grind 23 hours per day, but increases the value of what guy #1 can purchase. Now the early perfect rings are disproportionately more important than previous ANBs.

All that said, it's still just a game and if you have any experience with other games that offer ingame purchases, you wouldn't be calling Eternium p2w. I have played super popular games that I had to spend 20 bucks for the sole purpose of not suffering in game and not just once off. The Eternium team have done a ridiculously good job keeping the interference of $$ in the enjoyment of the game very close to 0. They listen and interact continuously and they deliver QoL changes in the dozens on each patch, to the point that I feel like they are spoiling me.
              Because the moment I close Eternium and start another game, I am very quickly reminded that the norm is "let's put the fix behind a pay wall and call it the deluxe option".

tl;dr: Stop whining. Get some perspective. You can enjoy literally 100% of this game for absolutely free and the new style of ANB gives you more Celestials easier than ever. Instead of giving out 100 Celestials to the first 100 players, they are now giving away a potential 2 Celestials to each and every player, regardless of their final ranking in the leaderboard, as a simple, achievable milestone -> I didn't hear any of you say "Thanks for this, guys!"
              Let the lads make some money off the people who are hunting the top spots, nobody is losing.

And finally: there will always be people willing to spend more $$$ than you and play/grind the game a lot more than what you are willing to; and all that spoiling that I mentioned before, is making people expect a company (that pays many salaries to provide you a free game) to provide an absolute equal opportunities competition where spending money is irrelevant. In what world is that possible and realistically expected?
              I'm assuming that the Dev was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosen View Post

Life is rough.

Get a helmet.
                +1

Comment

And I find it funny that so many people who claim to like that the game isn't P2W seemingly have such little interest in protecting that aspect. Every voice saying "this isn't that bad" is also asking "what else you got?".

Regarding celestials: I said back when ANB#2 was announced that it was too soon. Gear was being trivialized. Now here we are less than a year later and custom legendary boxes don't even warrant a mention as a reward. They're insignificant. A tool to be used to gain something good rather than good themselves. As ephemeral as the jewelry was intended to be. How long before we think the same thing about celestials? Will whatever succeeds them also be as available? Medals aren't, at least for now. Why shouldn't we be concerned? This step was worse than the last. Why shouldn't we worry about the next?

Comment

Originally posted by Buppy View Post
                    And I find it funny that so many people who claim to like that the game isn't P2W seemingly have such little interest in protecting that aspect. Every voice saying "this isn't that bad" is also asking "what else you got?".
                    If we're being totally honest and want to get to the root-cause of decisions that move the game to a certain direction, the question "what else you got?" is asked more often than you think, by stakeholders within the publishing company, whose purpose is to make $$.
                    Knowing that these decision makers and internal stakeholders ask the dev team "what other ways do you have to make money off the title?" as often as it occurs in any profit making organisation, the fact that the devs have done such a great job protecting their game from the "pay to PLAY" plague that the majority of other titles suffer from, and only allow a very limited "pay to WIN" elements for the top of the competitive ladder (Celestials in the past, Medals currently), the least I can do is acknowledge it.

And finally, approximately 25,000 players competed in ANB:Bronze League; probably a lot more play the game and don't bother with events. Compare that to the 50? 150? active users/voices in this forum, I can bet my sweet and slightly hairy a** (arm ) that when it comes to Making Fun making any change in their monetization strategy, they will rely on precise numbers that come from tens of thousands of transactions in the gem shop, rather than looking at Chosen's "this isn't that bad"-post that got "3 Likes" and then deciding "oh well, Chosen and 3 other guys think it's ok, let's hike up the prices, it couldn't possibly have a negative effect on our active player base or our delicate/complicated income scheme".
                    Last edited by Chosen; 02-28-2019, 11:55 AM.
                    I'm assuming that the Dev was wrong.

Comment

Just my opinion (and it's pretty insignificant since I'm just a casual player):

Now that we have an upgraded crafting system, I'm less concerned about the gear as rewards, although with five stats the celestial gear is pretty valuable. I like how we now have control over what we craft and the ingredients necessary require you to play the game to farm them.

For me, the real reward are the medals, especially since CLs have a soft cap.

This is the only game like this I've ever played, so I don't know how it compares to others, but the previous ANBs have never seemed P2W to me. With three back to back, I'm not sure about these though. It still isn't P2W, but given the time limit, I'm not sure how many people will be able to get medals or celestials without making purchases if they don't have many gems left after this first round.

Oh well, we'll see!
                      Last edited by Arawn; 02-28-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosen View Post
                        If we're being totally honest and want to get to the root-cause of decisions that move the game to a certain direction, the question "what else you got?" is asked more often than you think, by stakeholders within the publishing company, whose purpose is to make $$.
                        Knowing that these decision makers and internal stakeholders ask the dev team "what other ways do you have to make money off the title?" as often as it occurs in any profit making organisation, the fact that the devs have done such a great job protecting their game from the "pay to PLAY" plague that the majority of other titles suffer from, and only allow a very limited "pay to WIN" elements for the top of the competitive ladder (Celestials in the past, Medals currently), the least I can do is acknowledge it.
                        FWIW, the team is so against P2W and P2P that they fought against even having ads in the game. They still bring up removing them at some point, but ads provide a fairly solid revenue stream.

Comment

Originally posted by ྿༻Travis༺྿ (Support Mgr.) View Post
                          FWIW, the team is so against P2W and P2P that they fought against even having ads in the game. They still bring up removing them at some point, but ads provide a fairly solid revenue stream.
                          Travis you completely lost me here. Without Ads, how can we get gems? Buy them? Unless ANB requires zero gems to play. Ads are what makes it ALOT lets p2w.
                          Dyoma Crown: 333

Bounty - BH - 114
                          Mage - Mageone - 112
                          Warrior - 107

Comment

I believe their intention was not to force purchases, but instead make the game less currency dependent. I could be wrong on that, but trust me, they really don't want the game to be p2w in any way.

Comment

Working...
                            X