anybody else hate the "surprise, you are dead" life bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody else hate the "surprise, you are dead" life bar

The life/health bar is pretty useless for gauging mob size. everything is OK OK OK oops, you are almost dead. Why in the world is there no motion at all until it is too late.
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious, since I have seen no mention of this as an issue. And, it's bothered me since the first week I played. Am I the only one??

Do you mean your life bar, or the life bar of the unit you are attacking? Also, where do you see this happening, in story mode or in trials? And at what trial level or story mode difficulty?
    WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Comment

It’s because of the way mobs attack, particularly large mobs with skeletons. You’re fine, you’re fine, 20 skeletons just shot you with arrows, oops you’re dead.

Comment

• kurtcabage
        kurtcabage commented
        Editing a comment
        i feel this while doing trial on mobile...
        kitting large mob + lagging and then 3 hit whoops i am dead already

Ah, gotcha. However I'm not sure how making any changes to the life bar would solve that.
      WIZA KIZO YIJO 1935

Comment

Yeh, the game has a lot of burst type damage in it and dmg mitigation isn’t great on most builds. Builds with high dmg mitigation seem to struggle with dps, which makes sense of course. Defensive builds just don’t work in this game though. In other games if you are patient you can make a defensive build work. In this game it seems like “tanky” builds cant really progress through TL well.
        Last edited by Naktl; 09-14-2020, 03:04 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

How much life is used when the black just starts to show? Am I missing the whole point here and regen/LOH is covering ALL damage until the bar starts down? Am I actually at 100% health until the black starts to show? It feels kinda like I get to 50% health and then the bar starts down.

Go to stones and bones and just stand there. Nothing happens for a long long while, then it starts going down. There is obviously something happening before it starts going down, but there is no indication. Now, in stones and bones its pretty smooth once it starts, so it isn't a problem. But in higher trials, having no indication at all and then suddenly you are on the scale makes it difficult to gauge what is really happening.

Comment

I was thinking about this yesterday. . .
            In BH builds using magnetic trap, you want to keep enemies as far away as possible so that you can shoot without being shot.
            But things often get out of hand for a second and, because of AI, two elites next to each other shoot at exactly the same time. The two projectiles look like one on the screen. Dead.

Same thing makes the second phase of Paradox almost useless. . .

A split second "blink" feature should be considered.
            . . .either for all classes or in the form of an enchantment.
            Samsung Galaxy Note 9
            BaiYude : 123 Arcanist
            Necrophase : 133 Havoc
            HuJiayan : 138 ELR (ice only)

Comment

Easilyconfused I think you get it right.

Stones and bones is good example. When you just stand the mobs start to gather around you. At the beginning your life bar is full end even does not move. Damage taken is relatively small (compared to life points) and immediately compensated by regenerating skills. As more and more mobs come to you, their common damage increases and the life bar starts to move as regeneration cannot compensate it anymore. The more mobs around you, the more damage they apply and the faster your life bar moves down.
              It all depends on how strong your enemy is and now much life points you have.
              Story mode is easy and mobs are weak, so they need to get to really big group to apply any serious damage to you.
              In trials - the higher trial the stronger enemies. It is absolutely normal in higher trials (close to your limits), even 2 strong shots taken simultaneously or one by one can kill you immediately. They were obviously strong enough to eat all your life points in one moment with no chance of compensating this damage by regeneration. And this is why you see then sudden drop of your life bar.

This is how I understand this mechanics. Hope it helps.

If you die too frequently, you may need more Vitality and/or try to keep moving almost all the time to avoid getting hit if you play BH.
              Last edited by Seba; 09-14-2020, 09:46 PM. Reason: Added: about Vitality

Comment

As some mentioned, it's probably bursts of damage in high TLs. It's especially clear when you have some sort of stunning ability. If you stun a group of ranged units, say skeleton archers, when they become mobile again their "cooldown" on on shoiting have reset and they can shoot all at once. Hence, the burst of damage and you are dead. I died a lot this way by using Maggie's gather-and-stun whirlwind skill.

Comment

Well there's nothing wrong with the life bar - it's just an indicator... I mean there's not much to show in between if a mob kills you with one hit

Just put more toughness, and avoid the obvious high-damage moves, such as multishot and charge. Next steps are to avoid being hit by too many projectiles, especially by elites. Stay away from melee elites as well. Use vortex, stun and abilities to mobs at bay
                  ​​​​​​
                  Mage: Anba

Comment

Working...
                  X