No announcement yet.

Medals are Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me its nice if I get a medal but not real important ,I play to have fun and enjoy the game.

Comment

• gravano
      gravano commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing wrong with that. Everyone finds their kicks in different ways. That's what makes us unique snowflakes.

I play Eternium because I find it a fun game to play.

The first Medals I received came as a surprise - I honestly thought the awarding of Medals was based on Global ranking - and not individual class ranking - a happy surprise I guess!

It seems that prioritizing the competitive aspect of the game is obviously a choice for some players - not me - probably because I am bad at the game, and so trying to be the best at something which I am not willing to put in the time or effort (because it would make the game much less fun for me personally).

But the position stated by the OP is kind of incoherent to be honest.

It seems that this player IS prioritizing the competitive aspect (which again - is great I guess ... just not a choice I have made), but doesn't seem to accept the conditions of competitiveness which are / have been established - namely the awarding of medals.

I don't know of too many activities where a long established participant does NOT have advantages.

Seeking the 'fruits' of competitiveness while eschewing the conditions which make your desire for those awards seems ... incoherent to be honest.

... KTB

Comment

• Kristoff
      Kristoff commented
      Editing a comment
      I found the video clip of the tournament!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JzS96auqau0

• Arawn
      Arawn commented
      Editing a comment
      Kristoff Okay that WAS pretty rad

• Kristoff
      Kristoff commented
      Editing a comment
      Arawn Isn't it!? I can't believe that it's been over fifteen years since I've seen this. Daigo either has crazy reflexes, spent hours practicing that move, or both.

You would have thought that Justin had it in the bag. He only had to land ONE HIT, and he would have won.
      Last edited by Kristoff; 10-02-2021, 12:25 AM.

Yes, I agree with GKM and Teebs !

Comment

I found the data. I should have know that LodWig would have some calculations on the impact of medals, since he has data and formulas for just about everything. I found these graphs pinned on Discord:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	power curve.png
Views:	360
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	204153Click image for larger version

Name:	CR.png
Views:	325
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	204154
      Basically the graphs show that, for a level 70 hero, the difference between having one medal and 50 medals is negligible. The general conclusion is that for a hero under level 10, medals are great, but for an end game player with max stats on their gear, the effect is very minimal.

I still plan to run my experiment, maybe this weekend since no ANB this week, but I felt like it was worth sharing these in the meantime.

Comment

• Kristoff
        Kristoff commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! I should have known. Good 'ol LodWig !

As the others said - the importance of medals is extremely subjective.

Think of it like this - by the time you learn how to play on a decent level, you'll have 50+ medals (total). Someone with 150 medals will start each ANB with a significant headstart. Then in 2-4 hours you'll both be CL2000+, and CLs will slow down greatly. Ultimately he'll push with say 10% more damage than you. You can compensate that by spending more gems, having better hardware, or just by playing better. If everything else is equal, he'll push one trial higher than you. I'm not saying whether that's a lot or not, I know it sometimes feels huge... But if the difference is more than a trial, it's not just the medals
      Mage: Anba
      Bounty Hunter: Gemma

Comment

• Kristoff
        Kristoff commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Even if I had as many CLs and medals as you, bojck, and assuming equal gear, I expect that you'd most likely still rank significantly higher than I would.

Very nice discussion.
      ​​​​​​I'm referring to myself only I might be wrong in whatever I have to say You all can scold critic or whatever it's ok. You are all my friends.
      life can't be fun if everything is perfect
      Playin for years with good CL . How bout medals? Dunno. But I participate in majority of the anb's & normal LB (seasons etc). A SW lover in general. Result:

1. Rare to be at any LB
      2. You can have "a trillion medal" but if "your character is "underpowered" you can play until Armageddon but won't perform well.
      3. Thankfully now I can breath a bit (after the updating etc)

Have a nice day

​​​​​​

ANB Silver #15 Mage Trial 131
      ANB Silver #16 BH Trial 143
      PURIST Mobile user

Comment

• Kristoff
        Kristoff commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I'm happy too that your SW can finally have its day in the sun. I've always wanted multiple viable LB paths and not just one META gear and ability setup per class. It's more fun when you can come up with your own funky combo that works just as well.

This game is about knowledge and skills! Given the same build, Romme can go TL 150, but you may only go 130… it’s not about the badges at all. Mr. Garm will just kill you if you don’t know how to play with him… Also everyone can win a badge, so how can that be not fair?
      Last edited by davidz; 10-02-2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• Kristoff
        Kristoff commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that the biggest imbalance comes from the device that you play on. Romme would probably top the leaderboard if he was willing to abandon mobile-only play and use a good PC.

Originally posted by gravano View Post
      Our only hope for displacing them is that they quit playing or die.
      or GitGud
      Guide :

Comment

• Kristoff
        Kristoff commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha... I see what you did there...

I have read all the posts in this thread and am reminded of only one thing.

Life is not fair.

Comment

• Turgeon
        Turgeon commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Kristoff. Philo was pure entertainment since i had 2 or 3 so nice girls with awesome body to observe during 5he class lol

• Kristoff
        Kristoff commented
        Editing a comment
        TheExorcist Then it's a good thing we have you!

Turgeon You were lucky! I don't think we had any attractive girls in our class. That's probably why I was able to focus on the lessons.
        Last edited by Kristoff; 10-03-2021, 06:42 PM.

• Kardinaal
        Kardinaal commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually learned rpg math back in the olden times of Diablo 2. Low level pk scene was quite competitive on hardcore and made me want to do maths.

Not many games manage to make me really wanna do math. This is the first one on mobile, and it’s been quite some time.

Eternium teaches you a lot of math, management, communication skills, and now philosophy and psychology. It also helps you quit smoking and other addictions, avoid COVID. You can run high speed without worrying about gas or police chasing. It’s all good. Oh I forgot you can kill monsters and save the world and get badges while doing that.

Comment

• Kristoff
        Kristoff commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL!

• Phương Nguyễn
        Phương Nguyễn commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL =)))

• TheExorcist
        TheExorcist commented
        Editing a comment
        Indeed. Just look at Mr Kardinal. He is our Shield Warrior Professor ya know. His in depth analysis full of maths etc etc

Last year, I got 22 red medals , ever since I was in the top 25 ,Do you think it's easy?For top 10 of s5, I spent a month time to play game . What about you?

Comment

I just realized medal is my ultimate goal for this game… I will trade No. 1 for 10 medal for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Teebs View Post
          I play Eternium because I find it a fun game to play.

The first Medals I received came as a surprise - I honestly thought the awarding of Medals was based on Global ranking - and not individual class ranking - a happy surprise I guess!

It seems that prioritizing the competitive aspect of the game is obviously a choice for some players - not me - probably because I am bad at the game, and so trying to be the best at something which I am not willing to put in the time or effort (because it would make the game much less fun for me personally).

But the position stated by the OP is kind of incoherent to be honest.

It seems that this player IS prioritizing the competitive aspect (which again - is great I guess ... just not a choice I have made), but doesn't seem to accept the conditions of competitiveness which are / have been established - namely the awarding of medals.

I don't know of too many activities where a long established participant does NOT have advantages.

Seeking the 'fruits' of competitiveness while eschewing the conditions which make your desire for those awards seems ... incoherent to be honest.

... KTB
          This reply is amusing. You can't think of many activities where a long established participant does NOT have advantage. That is true if you're referring to the experience (not in-game experience) curve for any skill. That is not my problem. I am not arguing for a golf-like handicap, so you seem to have misunderstood my argument.

What traditionally-scored sports do you know of in which both teams or players do not start at 0 points? I can't think of any offhand, but I'm sure there's a couple. If that's not clear, please paraphrase what you think my argument is and I'll do my best to respond. Thanks.

Comment

• Teebs
            Teebs commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly, I don't know what you believe you mean by "traditionally-scored sports", and I am not too sure it is terribly important. I don't follow sport, so I am not particularly invested in the analogy. Though it seems the example of a "golf handicap" is the exact opposite, isn't it? Giving historically poorer players an advantage over better players?

Generally though, it seems that 'winners' typically have advantages (resources) by dint of their previous 'win' - sport, commerce, academia ...

As I said in other comments in this thread - I generally agree that "Medals" which carry into ANB (particularly Bronze) seems to violate the spirit of "A NEW Beginning" - and I think it would be 'better' if everyone started Bronze without Medals, and that the only medals which would apply in Silver and Gold would be those which were awarded within that ANB league.

I guess what I honestly don't understand is that you seem upset - about a game. Personally, like I said, I play games for fun. Once they stop being fun, I don't know why I would continue to play them.

I get that you are bothered by this - I just don't really relate to be honest. Being the winner qua being the winner isn't something I share, so I am probably not the best person to try and delve into this over?

... KTB
        Working...
        X