Garm with healers and a SW reforge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garm with healers and a SW reforge question

Have you fought a boss with healers? I just fought a garm with two healers. The garm had a big yellow healing circle all the time. The healers are also followed by a big skeleton, so I can’t even kill the healers with garm killing me constantly. I know it’s impossible to win this trial, but I really hate the healers, so I teased them away from garm and took a long time to kill both and the skeleton and some other mobs. Finally, I went back and killed garm. The timer had been expired for a long time, but I got two 77 legendary drops! One is common and one is this Blackguard mace. I have no ideas about SW, I guess the props are not that good, can you give me some reforge suggestions. I may try a SW.
    Attached Files

Exorcist Turgeon any suggestions?

Comment

It’s an ok drop to be honest. If you can reforge the deflect stat to something more useful (cr, cd, vit come to mind, whichever the lottery gives first really), it will serve you well.

The stats are pretty good too, even without ct (check mine for comparison):

Click image for larger version

Name:	BCAA572F-2EB2-487E-8849-F086C7EA54DC.png
Views:	280
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	203941
      Last edited by Kardinaal; 09-29-2021, 02:42 PM.
      mobile (Apple) player - shield enthousiast - Heavily suffering from butter fingers

SchilKardy - main Fire Lilly Shield Warrior - Trial 143

Comment

• Kardinaal
        Kardinaal commented
        Editing a comment
        And about mobs and the boss: when the bar gets close to full, either pull the last mobs you agro back with you to an area that is allready clear, or make shure you have agro on all mobs around you. When the boss spawns, all mobs that have agro on you will disappear, mobs just standing around will remain on the map. Another good habit to have in general is to open the mini map when you are close to spawning the boss. This will stop the clock, give you an idea of where you are, where mobs close by are, and you can take your time to make a plan. Some bosses you want in the open, some you want to spawn in a confined space.

For Garm especially, I move the last mobs I need to kill into a dead end pocket, so garm spawns in a confined space. That way there is no room for his damage boost and healing circles to appear on both ends of the dragon, and they will overlap most of the time, so you get both boosts.

Romme made a series of video’s where he does 5 high level trials, with commentary. They are a bit older (I think he uses a bleed warrior), but his tips on mob phase and the different bosses were very useful, even for other types of warriors:

https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...ave-push-tl151
        Last edited by Kardinaal; 09-29-2021, 03:02 PM.

Kardinaal Thanks! That’s a lot of great tips! Will try that on Garm next time. I think I’ve been careful cleaning the mobs, but still a lot coming out from no where when I fight the boss.

Comment

Just an addition if I may:

There's many strategies against mobs & elites. Wat I do when massive pullin stuff:

1. Avoid elites if possible
        2. If can't don't take so many at one shot.
        3. Its nice to pull the stupid elites early and drag the WW so that when you reach the next mobs (not elites) and the next and the next: the elites are dead.
        4. A shield warrior very much afraid of one thing though: Your life drain in no time:

The Ghosts
        Last edited by TheExorcist; 09-30-2021, 01:57 AM.
        ANB Silver #15 Mage Trial 131
        ANB Silver #16 BH Trial 143
        PURIST Mobile user

Comment

• davidz
          davidz commented
          Editing a comment
          Is juggernaut the chosen set for SW?

• Turgeon
          Turgeon commented
          Editing a comment
          No its defender

Change deflect to CD, having no CD to a SW is a mortal sin lol

Comment

• Kardinaal
          Kardinaal commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, that will definitely be the name of my next Lilly sw: MortalSin

The reason I suggested a few options for replacing deflect, is that the 77 he has is a good start, but once he gets serious with the shield, sooner or later he will replace it, cause the loh is also not ideal.

So might as well save a few gems and stop at any useful stat. Also, apart from the weapon damage, the stats came out on the high end, so it doesn’t really need a ct.

All in all it’s a great starter weapon, but once you get the rest to lvl 77, it’s time to replace it.
          Last edited by Kardinaal; 09-30-2021, 10:11 AM.

• Turgeon
          Turgeon commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with you kardinaal i was gonna say that im not using any deflect or loh on Sw. haha

No LoH or low is fine?
        this is absolutely a new info for me For ages a shield warrior always took notice to ensure that the LOH is:

Now not anymore?? Nice. I could replace LOH with so and so attribute.

The question is: How much LOH is with this new updated SW is appropriate??
        ​​​​​
        "Turgeon and others". Any recommendation?

Thanks
        ANB Silver #15 Mage Trial 131
        ANB Silver #16 BH Trial 143
        PURIST Mobile user

Comment

• Kristoff
          Kristoff commented
          Editing a comment
          Turgeon So what would you put in its place? Just more AR, CR and CD?

• Turgeon
          Turgeon commented
          Editing a comment
          Not more ar just more cr cd if already there block or vit is the good choice

• Kristoff
          Kristoff commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok. Thanks!

I’m a big fun for CD too. I’m so happy this morning after finding out that the shoulder can get 70% CD enchantment. I still have no idea about how SW kill and survive. I guess shield slam is a big deal.

Comment

Loh doesn’t scale. You heal x dmg per hit, no matter what level enemy you hit. So as you go up in trial levels, enemies hit harder, but you keep healing for the same amount. So the benefit of loh lessens as you go up in trials, and eventually gets so small it’s not really noticeable.

Same goes for pulling abilities. You hit a single enemy and heal from that one enemy. So every aditional enemy you add to the pack you pull, the pack does more damage, yet you don’t heal extra.

So the benefits of loh drop fast at higher trials.

Shockwave at least scales up with your life pool. So adding vit will increase the amount of healing you do. Granted, it still doesn’t scale with the level of your enemies, but at least it gets better as you up your gear.

Whirlwind axe might do even better, as it “heals 6% of total life when ww does damage”.

I assume the 2k loh you found, is for a build that has no better source of healing.

If we compare weapon choices:

Full blackguards will give you:

- 15 extra shield slams per minute from the weapon
          - extra Sb casts from the shield
          - damage redux from set bonus

blackguard shield + whirlwind axe:

-extra Sb casts from shield
          -6% healing whenever ww does damage (whatever that means)

Now a shield warrior allready has plenty of damage redux (95% from armour, around 70% average from blocking since blocking an attack gives 75% dr and you block 95% of incoming attacks). Not every attack is blockackable though, so the actual avg dr from block will be less, so I’ll use half of the 70% from blocking as an approximation. So average dr would be (1- 0.95) x (1 - 0.35) = 0.0175. So 1.75% of the damage comes through or 98,25% dmg redux. So the extra dmg redux from blackguards would stop half of the 1.75% of dmg coming through all other defenses for a whooping 0.875% bonus. And you only get that bonus when below half health.

The other bonus of 15 shield slams per minute (0.25 shield slams per second) equals to a boost in shield slam dps of 0.25%. Estimating shield slam is around 80% of total damage, so the gain is around 0.2% dps.

long story short: the only blackguards bonus worth a lollipop is the shield bonus.

Looking at the healing from ww axe:

6% of health per attack
          Compare that to 2k per attack at you get from loh
          (2000/6) x 100 = 33333 health total, that’s the amount of health those 2k loh give the same healing as ww axe

now if you stack 100k health:
          loh would still heal 2k per attack
          ww would heal 6k per attack.

And the difference only gets bigger the more health you stack.

So loh (while better than no healing) is pretty much useless at the amount of life you need to survive high level trials.
          same for blackguards mace.

So if you use ww, go with ww axe and bg shield
          if you don’t use ww you’ll need another source of healing, and the only other decent source is shockwave. With shockwave bg mace would be the weapon of choice, winning by 0.2% dps, and more damage redux (from blackguards and shockwave). From what I can tell from the trial results, shockwave does compareable damage to ww.

ok enough raving, sorry for the long whiskey infused rambling. Due to that I added the math for you all to check .
          Last edited by Kardinaal; 09-30-2021, 04:32 PM.
          mobile (Apple) player - shield enthousiast - Heavily suffering from butter fingers

SchilKardy - main Fire Lilly Shield Warrior - Trial 143

Comment

• TheExorcist
            TheExorcist commented
            Editing a comment
            Readin Kardinal explanation as if I'm takin Actuaral science paper. Maths here maths there hahaha

• Turgeon
            Turgeon commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha

• Kristoff
            Kristoff commented
            Editing a comment
            We need a Dummies version for the math-challenged.

I mean, I always point newbies to one of Nhat 's guides or LodWig 's spreadsheets or charts and they go, "I don't really want to read and try to understand all of that. Can you please just explain it to me?"
            Last edited by Kristoff; 10-03-2021, 02:34 PM.

When fighting boss, sometimes there is no parry, so no ww and no 3% heal. I guess LoH is useful in such situations.

Comment

• Turgeon
            Turgeon commented
            Editing a comment
            Boss isnt trouble when shield warrior

• Benedicto
            Benedicto commented
            Editing a comment
            Just SWs must have enough time in boss phase because it takes forever to kill them haha

• Kardinaal
            Kardinaal commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, shield warriors don’t use the warlord set but defenders. So if you use whirlwind it’s an active skill. Also, best to have no parry, as any attack you parry you cannot block. And blocking triggers shield smash, which is most of your damage.

It's a shame, but I would personally just scrap it. It has too many stats that are sub-optimal if you want to maximize the effectiveness of your SW build.

Comment

• Kristoff
            Kristoff commented
            Editing a comment
            davidz I've found the crafting the crafting theories to be reasonably correct. So far, at every ANB, I've been able to craft one 77 item, one or two 76 items, three to four 75s, a bunch of 74s and a ton of 73s and 72s. The top pros use prediction software, but I just keep track of my crafts on an Excel spreadsheet. The theory is that in general, you'll see the spread that I outlined above in a series of 64 crafts. Some players have reported exceptions, though, like not getting a single 77 even after burning through two or three L-crates. The theory to explain that is that they might have been crafting on a PC and gotten stuck in an RNG loop.

And yes, you're more likely to craft a 77 with a new character, so some players delete and create new characters just for crafting.

• davidz
            davidz commented
            Editing a comment
            Kristoff you are right. Now I understand: there will be a 77, but it may come early or late. My first one, it came early; second one, it will come late. For last gold, I got a 77, but I tried to get another one, and that is stupid unless I create a new toon.

• Kristoff
            Kristoff commented
            Editing a comment
            davidz Or farm more mats or buy more L-crates. I think that's how the top players have so much level 77 gear.
        Working...
        X