I think I'm done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm done

So I've been playing this game for many years and I've really enjoyed it for the most part. But as of the past couple years things have changed. I know it's supposed to be a grindy game but at the moment I don't feel like the rewards are worth the time and effort. The AnBs have gotten stale doing the same grind, same build, same everything over and over for the same result. Every day play is also the same. I find myself trying to grind as many gems ready for the next AnB, and it feels a bit like insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result that never comes.
    In recent years I've found myself trying different builds that take so long to get right that end up being worse than the meta anyways, seems such a waste of time. The last AnB my "rewards" were a level 77 bracer of mastery that I didn't need and a 300 armour medal! So basically I spent hours and hours of my time for 300 armour. I know if I put more time in, or got better at the game, or spent real money on gems I could probably achieve better results, but I just don't think the game is worth that much of my time anymore. Real life and work is just more important for me right now. Maybe if the game gets some major updates and becomes fun again (or I lose my job and my wife dumps me ;p) I will give it another good go. Hope you all enjoy yourselves and have fun!

There's nothing wrong in taking a break. Many do it. And I would bet future development will make the game better. If nothing else, poke your head back in on occasion at least to visit with us.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” – Japanese proverb

KUWA QOGI VEJU 4115

VACAFOR - 4F/2W Warrior
    ... MICA - Mage ... BELA - Hybrid BH ... MICATHREE - Mage Farmer ... BELAFOR - BH Farmer

Comment

You can log in - spend ~5-10 minutes doing your dailies and collecting the Daily Reward - and end up with tens of thousands of Gems in case they do change it up and make it worthwhile to come back and play a new class or build.

I ended up doing a lazy silver 'just because'

I am not particularly 'competitive' - so, for me, as long as it remains a reasonable distraction, it is fine.

I agree that it does seem to be a tad bit on the "too grindy" spectrum after a while to keep my attention.

... KTB

Comment

I can understand how you feel, despite being a relative newbie. I've been playing for about a year, seriously for about six months after I worked out what was going on and checked out the forum. I'm retired, and a carer, so have time to kill. The repetitive nature of the daily quests is annoying, but can be completed in a few minutes. I haven't lost interest in ANBs, having just completed my fifth, the third in a Master league so it's still challenging. Challenge seems to be key. If you no longer find yourself challenged it's probably time for a break. I haven't played computer games, beyond casual gaming, for decades, so it's still reasonably novel. My game playing goes back to D & D in the late 1970s. Some uni friends built a primitive PC to replace the dice, and away we went for a couple of years. Eternium appeals because it is closest I've found to my youthful game. Cheers!

Comment

• Teebs
          Teebs commented
          Editing a comment
          Grinding for hours for a +1 sword in Wizardry was glorious!

While I accept (and embrace - to a degree) grinding and CRPG, there does come a point when it feels like diminishing returns. It is that the "challenge" itself seems to be, in part anyway, enduring the repetition.

Which is great for some people I guess, and not so for others.

... KTB

Just do what feels right for you.

I was a casual on-and-off player for years, then I got really competitive for a while, found that too stressful and difficult to balance with my real life responsibilities, and now I'm doing a sort of low-effort style gem farming and ANB that's much more relaxing and sustainable.

Anyway, good luck to you in whatever you choose to do!

Comment

• RAFERS102
          RAFERS102 commented
          Editing a comment
          Same, I spent way too much real life time in the pursuit of competitive finishes. Now it's more relaxed approach.

I was doing the daily quests only.
        Now I can't even remind myself to pick the daily rewards.
        Theoretical Modding
        (because tweaking numbers won't be enough)

Comment

I feel your pain. When short on time, I'd hit my 5 dailies (20 gems each) and run, then come back when I had the time to continue with the game. Now, the dailies don't pay as well and seem innumerable - my current character is collecting 3 gems per daily mission, down from 20, and the number of daily missions has increased so that it seems they're never ending. I'm hopeful that it's just an incredible glitch because, at the risk of sounding ungrateful, it's preposterous. I'll have to run 34 dailies just to keep up. Whew!
          Just think...one good rocket barrage, and you can end up being the proud owner of a pair of Healthy Leather Pants of Thorns...

Comment

• WarriorSeven
            WarriorSeven commented
            Editing a comment
            Weird. You should be getting 100 gems from your dailies if you completed Story one time (including all the NPC quests). For whatever reason, it sounds as though you're still in the midst of completing Story quests the first time if you're only getting 3 gems per mission, as if you blew away your old account and are starting from scratch.

• RockDoc
            RockDoc commented
            Editing a comment
            What WarriorSeven said, or it can happen when you continue playing with your ANB hero that hasn't completed all the initial quests, instead of going back to a preexisting hero for dailies.

Like I said, it must be an incredible glitch, and that glitch is...me...

I AM playing a second character that has not completed all the story quests. I am learning something new every time I come aboard. Thanks ladies and gents!
          Just think...one good rocket barrage, and you can end up being the proud owner of a pair of Healthy Leather Pants of Thorns...

Comment

• WarriorSeven
            WarriorSeven commented
            Editing a comment
            And don't call me Shirley! :P
        Working...
        X