X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Envisage Future Arena Battles

How I Envisage Future Arena Battles
    (A short story)

I have done it. I am now level 70, standing on the pinnacle of human achievements. But I must go on fighting. I must grow stronger, I must exceed all human potential, by parabola or by exponent.

I have done it again. They address me as 'Champion' now. A champion of an hundred levels, if you are curious. I have my own steed, the townsfolk presented it to me as a gift of sorts. They tell me it is not a draft horse, and I believe them (though it reminds me of my childhood). I dress it up with some scraps of studded leather I have no use for. Legendary leather, that is. Only the best protection for my noble steed. I shall name it Robco. Don't ask.

It is huge, this place. The King's new arena. Crowds cheer me on as Robco and I enter the Gate of Champions. I feel a draught on my shin, and the sands of the colosseum between my toes. As my hawkish eyes drink in the glory, Robco flinched. That is unusual, so I scan the horizon to see what had disturbed it. Over there yonder I can see a bonfire burning. At least I think that's what it is...

The dragon is tall. Like, 30' tall. Smoke mixed with flames burst from its nostrils (and probably its arse, too). It is red all over, the colour of blood. Ominous. On its back sits a knight, fully covered in plate from head to toe. His halberd is bejeweled down to the screws. The sunrays reflecting off his breastplate blinds my eyes. They tell me afterwards he is a lord of Assyria, with twenty-seven titles to his name. And the Arena Masters pitted me up against THAT?

Madness, srly.
    In precisionem non est in perfectionem.

[The pursuit of] Precision is not perfection.

Nice story

Robco is a pony, right? Given how you feel the colosseum's sand between your toes while mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by IPNEIP View Post
      How I Envisage Future Arena Battles
      ...On its back sits a knight, fully covered in plate from head to toe. .... titles to his name....
      * A Legendary Dragon Knight appears!*
      You choose to:
      a) YOLO! Come At me Bro! (Roll dice: x<6,turn to page 15; x > 6, turn to page 17.)

b) Distract with wild pointing then mounting Robco your draft Horse
      You flee out of the King's arena via the Gate of Cowards.
      (Roll: x<10, turn to page 10; x>10, turn to page 8.)

c) Cast Shock-wave then Whirlwind!
      Sending the the sand of the Arena to engulf and blind your large prey before you!
      (Roll: x<15, turn to page 20; x>15, turn to page 2.)

d) Cast Amalgamate turning the dragon & knight into one being, then Transmogrification turning said being into a sheep.
      Led Leaps from the spectator stands in a burst of Frenzy!
      (Always 100% successful: turn to pages 50-99 for details of what Led proceeded to do.
      Cautionary note: Explicit content.)

Originally posted by Adrian (Developer) View Post
      Nice story

...you feel the Colosseum's sand between your toes...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Sand!.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.3 KB ID:	66228
      Did someone order some sand?
      Last edited by Nightlyric; 09-15-2017, 08:21 AM.
      Self-cleaning Bunny...
      If my post don't make me smile on re-read...
      *poof!*~~ It's gone... (In my mouth it goes!)
      ~om~nom~nom~nom...
      Making the world a funny place~ one bunny-pellet at a time~

Comment

Robco is a pony, right? Given how you feel the colosseum's sand between your toes while mounted.
        Thanks! Well, Robco is either a very large pony, or a very tiny horse. The name comes from the Fallout series of futuristic RPGs, where it was a defunct corporation that manufactured all the consumer/military robotics in America, from AI robots to micro-fusion cars to electric ponies for little girls and boys. (Since we have the "necronomicon" mage tome in the game, I figured: why not?) As for the "sand between toes" part, it was meant to contrast our peasant-hero-of-modest-means with his well-heeled-high-champion opponent. Since the protagonist's class is undefined, it could be sandals or really worn-out boots he's got on.

Nightlyric:
        As the hero in the story is of a non-descript class, feel free to choose your own (adventure)!

Comment

We have many Fallout series fans in the dev. team, myself included.

Comment

We have many Fallout series fans in the dev. team, myself included.
            Glad to hear it! That's bcos they are so awesome!!
            (*** Not disparaging E:M&M in any way ***)

Comment

Working...
            X