Eternium
Eternium

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here know anything about inking comics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here know anything about inking comics?

Back when I first dabbled in penciling and inking comic book-type drawings, professional inkers used pens with interchangeable nibs that were dipped in black ink. You could get a great variation in line thickness and character, but they were messy and cumbersome. I did a search for what comic book artists use nowadays and Jim Lee (among many others) swear by the Sakura Micron pens. They're super convenient, but I can't seem to get the same line variation and character that I could get with an old style pen. It's just all one boring, uniform line thickness. Does anyone else here sketch and have some tips for using these pens?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220506_095033__01-01.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	211973
    DUCI HEXA YIWA 0721

I don't know much about these things, but I showed this to an artist friend of mine. First off, she liked your rendering, and then said to me: "He needs to use more graphic pen effect to enhance the outlining, muscles, and shading."

I asked her what she meant and she told me you need to expand your repertoire of "tools" if you're serious about your craft. Apparently Sakura Microns are, indeed, an excellent choice for drawing and general outlining, but to add depth to your lines, you also need to be using Sakura Graphic pens to your tool chest. Apparently, they border on felt marker effects with thicker nibs to widen lines, shading, and filling in things -- if any of this makes sense to you.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” – Japanese proverb

Comment

• Arawn
      Arawn commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. Thanks mate! I had to look up the graphic pens... They look like a brush or chisel type pen. Next time I'm close to the art supply store I'll take a look at them and see what sizes they come in

So I didn't re-ink but I did color it with my wife's Crayola colored pencils lol
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220528_091637__01-01_compress83.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	212762
    DUCI HEXA YIWA 0721

Comment

Working...
    X