[Age 35+] Your path through computer games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Age 35+] Your path through computer games

To anyone who may find this interesting...

Adrian (Developer) recently mentioned in another post that he (and others on DP) were fans of the Fallout series... that brought back memories, and further memories, and some further further memories, and I got to thinking - since we're all (obviously) fond of computer games here, why not briefly (or not so briefly) describe our life-long experience with them? What titles (and on what platforms) were especially dear to us?

This is intended especially at those near my age (38), but anyone is welcome to post, obviously!

As to me...

I started on the ZX Spectrum, but I can't say that any speccie games "left a mark" in the same way that subsequent titles (on the Amiga and PC) did. Perhaps because I was very young back then. But I recall long, fun hours, playing (and waiting to load / crossing fingers for "Tape Loading Error" not happening) Bomb Jack, Chase HQ, Shinobi, Chuckie Egg, and the keyboard-destroyer Decathlon. And I remember Saboteur as "the game I wish I had gotten more into".

In 1992 or 1993 I got a Commodore Amiga (a 1200, cutting-edge back then), which opened up the doors for a few of my all-time-favorite titles. I still think I spent more hours on Dune 2 than on any other game in my life (if we include the load times!), and Dune 2 was closely followed by Syndicate (I finished the game 2x and the expansion, American Revolt, 1x -> that took me as long to finish as the whole-game-2x. Talk about a "difficulty increase"!), Pirates, and Cannon Fodder.
    Other notables included Frontier: Elite 2 (though I always liked Pirates best), Final Fight (and of course, Golden Axe), Speedball 2, James Pond II: Robocod (just google it), SWIV, Desert (and Jungle) Strike, Shaolin Chambers, and the first two Monkey Islands (the second, along with Dune 2, was the main motivator for the 540MB hard drive I bought in hmm 1995 I think? Biggest disk I ever had!)

In 1997 I moved to the PC, starting with the first two Doom titles, Prince of Persia, The Incredible Machine (who else played TIM?), Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis... and I spent a quiet, peaceful Xmas vacation in 1998 playing Quake 2 and eating chocolate-based food.
    In 1998-1999 I was more addicted to physical card games (CCGs - I still play Magic nowadays on occasion) and chess, so computer games took a hiatus, to resurface in 1999-2000 when I discovered Starcraft and the Jedi Knight series Star Wars FPS (FP...slashers?).
    Then in 2001-2002 I discovered Diablo 2, which I played obsessively... original game, then Lord of Destruction, then the Eastern Sun mod, then my own mod... if any game rivals Dune 2 in my life for time spent on, it's D2.

I only stopped Diablo for one of the most "pivotal" games in my life - Baldur's Gate II, from the ill-fated Black Isle Studios that also produced Fallout, and still to this day, the largest developed world I've ever seen on a computer title. I never played Fallout, curiously... for no reason particularly. That + the Troika Games (a Black Isle "spinoff", for those who don't know) Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura are on my perpetual "to install" list.

But I played BG2 (and Throne of Bhaal*) so much that I got some rep amongst my college mates as "the walking walkthrough".
    That got me to fall in love with computer RPGs and opened the door to the rest of the Bioware/Black Isle "treasure trove", most notably Planescape: Torment. I am firmly of the mind that no other game has ever, or likely will ever, reach the heights of Torment's storyline and dialogue quality.**

And then Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, KotOR / KotOR2... I still love KotOR as the best embodiment of "choose your path freely, good or evil". The Elder Scrolls series is perhaps more lauded for this, but in Elder Scrolls (Morrowind or Oblivion -> I didn't play the first two) I always felt more like "game doesn't give a **** (about what I do)". Whereas in KotOR, playing Light Side or Dark Side, I always felt "game was designed to cater for this and reward me differently-but-just-as-well". In KotOR you can really be "Dark Side, and Proud of It!"

Fast-forward a few (ahem) years to the also-excellent Dragon Age:Origins, which was the "twilight" of computer RPGs for me, and (little did I know it then) of PC gaming as a whole. Since DA:O, on the PC, I basically only played the somewhat-recent Wolfenstein:The New Order (which I found the storyline appealing), and only for a little... life moves on, and all things come to pass. But new things come along, too.

And now I play Eternium of course. And, as of this writing, I see no reason to change.

PS :

* -> if you liked/still like BG2/ToB, there is (was) an excellent "polishing mod" by Bioware senior designer David Gaider, which substantially enhanced the ToB ending and the final fight itself.

** -> has anyone ever played the recently-released "remastered" version of Planescape: Torment? (I do *not* mean Tides of Numenera). Was it worth the $$?

Interesting post, Jose!

As a 46 year old woman, my journey has been a little different...

My dad bought an Atari 2600 for the family in 1977. We played many hours of Combat.
    Black Jack was my other favorite.

Marvel at the state-of-the-art graphics! The sound effects were just as good!

Next up was NES in 1983.
    I was hooked on Joust, and of course Mario Bros.

M.C. Kids was great too!

Playstation in 1995: I.Q.: Intelligent Qube
    This one never got old!

Final Fantasy Tactics - YES!

Playstation: 1998

Mario
    Mario!
    Mario!! (Can one get too much side-scrolling Mario fun? I think not!)

These days I have two loves: Eternium and Scrap Mechanic:
    (It's an engineering game on Steam and I'll likely never stop playing it.)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Jose!
    Cerberus
    SESA YIFI CICE 9356

Comment

My dad first had an Atari 2600. I could play Pitfall for hours, each time hoping that the underground trail would actually get me to the end faster. Dad then "upgraded" to Intellivision! The new game of choice? Frogger! For whatever reason, dad then "upgraded" (or was it a downgrade?) to Atari 5200. No comment needed!

Of course, my favorite was still Cosmic Cruncher (a Pac Man knock-off) on the Commodore VIC 20!!!

From there, it was a hodgepodge of games and systems - The Bard's Tale I and II, ZORK Trilogy on the Commodore 64, Mario Brothers (in college)...and just recently, Parallel Kingdom on my iPad.

Ah, the memories

Last edited by Xusia; 09-18-2017, 03:15 PM.
      WEWE WEMA LUBI 3485

Comment

I also played Joust!! I think it was on the speccie, but could have been on a NES "knockoff" console we had at one point (one Mario title, that Tank game that was also popular, and 48 other games in a fixed cartridge).

This was maybe between the Spectrum and the Amiga, chronologically.

Comment

donkey kong... lode runner... karateka... mario... bubble bobble... double dragon... that's all that I can remember for now... LOL...
          GEPU GANA HEPO 9200

See my endgame heroes build...
          How to make jewelry video... (TUTORIAL)
          Boss skills info and how to fight boss... (VIDEOS)
          New crafting system video and how to use it... (TUTORIAL)
          Read my Journey in “A New Beginning” event... or watch the video...
          Watch my YouTube Eternium channel or make a video request here...

Comment

Originally posted by FendyBt2 View Post
            donkey kong... lode runner... karateka... mario... bubble bobble... double dragon... that's all that I can remember for now... LOL...
            How could I forget Lode Runner??? And, all those custom built levels which I couldn't finish because I usually forgot to include a "safe" route!
            WEWE WEMA LUBI 3485

Comment

Omg! My first video games were all at the corner "cafe" on arcade machines. But my first true addiction came around after I left the police force to start my own business way back in 1988. I purchased my very first XT computer. It came loaded with Montezumas Revenge
              Click image for larger version

Name:	images.png
Views:	271
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	66837 damn that game. I actually still search the app stores for re-makes. Perhaps one day ill find one.

My second addiction only came many years later when my son (then 11) introduced me to DotA and subsequently to Diablo 2. Diablo - sigh another diamond I miss terribly.
              Servers shut down, lives change and we move on.
              I moved on to Path of Exile as a beta tester and progressed to become an Alpha Tester. The Addiction was fierce. I was playing 24/7 literally getting zero sleep. The frigging races were THAT addictive and I was THAT competitive. Eventually my eyesite just gave in and I was forced to pack it in.
              And then came smartphones progressing to tablets.
              Clash of Clans - Get into a great clan and your hooked. I certainly was hooked for 3 years Solid.
              Samurai Siege - meh
              Compas Point West - data hog.
              Eternium - Get me co-op multiplayer and my Diablo fix will be sorted.
              RAKO LOJA CUSE 8372 - Coldet and QIVO CUBU VEPO 8185 - The Siren

Comment

Related image
                ...I'll just leave it at that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	66875

Comment

BTW, lately Travis name (avatar) be like...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_XxAZCfHnDs
                    Last edited by Peacedawg; 09-19-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I've been a life long RPG fan (addict), especially the DnD world found in the Baldur's Gate series. So much so, that BG inspired me to design my own set of poker chips (yeah, I'm an online poker addict as well). This chipset was a 40th birthday gift to myself; eight years ago...

PS: If you want to see more pics PM me and I'll give you a link to my poker blog
                      Last edited by QuickBen; 09-19-2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickBen View Post
                        I've been a life long RPG fan (addict), especially the DnD world found in the Baldur's Gate series. So much so, that BG inspired me to design my own set of poker chips (yeah, I'm an online poker addict as well). This chipset was a 40th birthday gift to myself; eight years ago...

PS: If you want to see more pics PM me and I'll give you a link to my poker blog
                        Baldur's Gate remains one of the zeniths of computer RPGs, even if it was (more than a bit) confusing that a negative AC was better than a higher AC, and a THAC0 of 0 was way better than a THAC0 of 15. Glad they cleaned that up in NWN / 3rd edition D&D.

Speaking of (pen & paper now) RPG rules systems, I was always fond of Legend of the 5 Rings "roll and keep" system -> D&D, I felt, put either too much weight on the D20 roll (low strength bonus and crits only on 20), or too little (when you have high STR and crits on 15+).

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Sarmento View Post

a THAC0 of 0 was way better than a THAC0 of 15. .
                          "Less is more" you know yeah, the system is pretty complex. One needs a +2 INT to get it.

D&D 2nd and 3rd editions are the only systems I've really taken the time to learn thoroughly. I'll need to look up the Legend of the 5 Rings system tonight. I love the complexity of the D&D! I probably spent more time planning my Icewind Dale team than I actually spent playing the game LOL. Any game in which I can toss a fireball at someone, I'm happy. Of all the Diablo clones, I found the Sacred series to be my favorite, esp ice shard mages.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickBen View Post
                            "Less is more" you know yeah, the system is pretty complex. One needs a +2 INT to get it.

D&D 2nd and 3rd editions are the only systems I've really taken the time to learn thoroughly. I'll need to look up the Legend of the 5 Rings system tonight. I love the complexity of the D&D! I probably spent more time planning my Icewind Dale team than I actually spent playing the game LOL. Any game in which I can toss a fireball at someone, I'm happy. Of all the Diablo clones, I found the Sacred series to be my favorite, esp ice shard mages.
                            Roll and keep is fairly simple: you roll a number N of 10-sided die, and your score is the tally of the highest X values (e.g. roll 6 die and keep 3: results 1-2-4-6-8-3, your score = 4+6+8 = 18), with natural 10s adding up and being rerolled (for the same r6k3 example: results 1-2-4-10-8-3, you reroll the 10 and get a 5, your score = 4+10+8 +5 = 27). Your score has to beat a certain difficulty number for the attack / skill check / whatever to be successful.

As your character becomes more experienced, you get to both roll more die and keep a higher number of them, so your average scores (capabilities) increase fairly smoothly.

Comment

That sounds quite interesting - thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X