Extremely Basic Trial FAQs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely Basic Trial FAQs

When I began playing Eternium two months ago I had a lot of very (very) basic questions about trials. Because I am still new and remember all those dumb questions, I thought it might help others to compile the questions and their answers in one place.

Would love feedback and may try to upload some screen shots later.

Extremely Basic Trial FAQs

Before going further, be sure you have read the General Newb Guide! https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...ral-newb-guide

TIMER
    • you have ten minutes to clear enough mobs to summon the boss
    • rewards are better (extra, stronger item) if you kill the boss within ten minutes; rewards do not vary within the ten minute window — i.e., they are the same if you complete within three minutes or nine or just under ten (more about rewards)
    • you will receive gear rewards as long as the boss was summoned before the timer runs out
    • the timer will pause when you toggle open the map, your character screen, or watch a video
    • completion time is the moment you kill the boss; lingering after to kill more mobs for XP or daily quest quotas won't effect your rank as determined by the timer (although it will keep ticking down)
    • if you kill the boss after the timer expires it will not count toward your rank on the leaderboard
    • the faster you complete a level, the more levels above you will unlock (more about the timer and unlocking levels)

DEATH
    • the timer does not pause while you are dead (this is why there's a free and paid resurrection option)
    • you always respawn at your starting spawn point
    • the boss resets to their starting spawn point; if you died while kiting the boss you'll find the boss back at their spawn point and not at the point you died
    • to get your bearings, you can open the map while you are dead

BOSSES
    For tips on fighting the bosses, please see https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...304-boss-guide
    • the end boss is always the same even though the map environment changes (exception: 1–5 and 101–105 have fixed environment maps)
    • the end bosses repeat predictably. Level one is the Broken Dragon, two is Elban, three Magroth (note: the rotation will expand to five bosses with the release of Act IV).
    • a level that is divisible by three is always Magroth; plus one from that level is the Broken Dragon, minus one is Elban.
    • you do not need to complete all levels in order. If you find one boss easier you can jump ahead accordingly.

MAP
    • the map is dynamically generated but will always be a main blob with a few bottleneck blobs
    • the primary blob is usually bean shaped but occassionally is a donut shape
    • on starting a trial, immediately toggle the map open. You can identify the general shape of the blob by the smoke graphic before you clear it and plan an approximate route

EFFICIENT ROUTES
    A number of videos have been posted in: https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...ameplay-videos
    • your strategy should be to clear enough of the main blob that you have room to maneuver when the end boss spawns
    • running around all the edges and avoiding choke points feels most efficicient but leaves you vulnerable to either a) not clearing enough mobs to summon the boss in the main space or b) only clearing one side and leaving mobs on the other side too close for decent maneuverability. For these reasons I've had the most success:
      • clearing one or two bottlenecks early then remaining in the main space
      • employing a zigzag path
    • pay attention to your timer and understand your personal boss summoning time for that level to avoid summoning the boss in a bottleneck space

PERFORMANCE/LEADERBOARD
    • your rank on the leaderboard is determined only by your best trial run; poorly run trials do not impact your rank
    • leaderboard ranks are by highest trial and then time within that trial. E.g., a nine minute trial 20 will rank you higher than a two minute trial 19
    • you can see trial stats from a run by clicking on your hero name from a leaderboard
    • you can only see stats from your best trial; this means you may not see trial stats from your most recently run trial if it was not your all-time best run. If you are interested in the performance of different gear and skill combos, visit the Training Grounds
    • there are two leaderboard views: from the home screen you will see all classes; from the trial screen you will see only your hero's class
    • while you can browse the full top 100 heroes, you cannot browse a full list of heros; you will only be able see two other heros directly above and below your rank at any time
    Last edited by hp9000; 10-02-2018, 03:15 PM. Reason: Updated with feedback

Before going further, be sure you have read the General Newb Guide! https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...ral-newb-guide
    I'll be starting a revision (into a new thread) of this soon, hopefully will have things updated by the end of the month

* rewards are not better the faster you clear a trial
    While technically true, if you kill the boss within the 10 minutes limit, then you get an addition item drop, which spec'ed as if it's from 10 Trials higher, at least that's what we've been told (but this probably is beyond the "basic" info)

Red's post on Legendary drop chance (10-07-2017, 01:28 AM GMT+10)
    That's because it's a weird function, and I don't want to clog the forums with math. It starts at 0.5% at trial level 1; at trial 51 it has slightly more than 5% chance, at trial 57 it exceeds 10%, at trial 63 it exceeds 20%, at trial 67 it exceeds 30%, at trial 72 it is 50%, at trial 80 it's 100%, at which point the improved roll function kicks in. The item for completion in time is calculated on the same curve, but as if the trial would have been 10 levels higher, e.g. a trial 70 will have a 100% chance to drop a legendary if completed in time.

* you can kill the boss after the timer expires and still receive gear rewards as long as the boss was summoned before the timer runs out
    The trial will not count for the leaderboard though.

• the end boss is always the same even though the map environment changes (confirm: trial levels above 100 have fixed environments?)
    Only the first 5 trials/challenges - this is actually a repeat of Trials 1-5, which also have fixed environment. The names are the same, just changed from "Trial of ..." to "Challenge of ..."

• the end bosses repeat predictably. Level one is the Broken Dragon, two is Elban, three Magroth (confirm: this will change with the Act IV Hometown update). A level that is divisible by three is always Magroth; plus one from that level is the Broken Dragon, minus one is Elban.
    New bosses are also predictable, simply on a 5 trials rotation now, instead of 3 (as far as I can tell anyway, need more tests...) - the 5 also makes it a lot easier to remember/calculate...
    • 1 => Magroth
    • 2 => The Broken Dragon
    • 3 => Elban
    • 4 => Garm
    • 5 => Kara

* you do not need to complete all levels in order. If you find one boss easier you can jump ahead accordingly.
    This may be useful: Trial Completion Time vs Unlock 'Extra' Levels - have not confirm with Hometown beta yet, hopefully it still apply

(confirm: I don't know what the general take is on most efficient trial clearing strategies, are there videos?)
    A number of videos have been posted in: https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...ameplay-videos

General layout/formatting feedback: use the bullet points in the Advanced Editor (press the A, between the clipboard and smiley face buttons)
    Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 10 Aug 2018)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Pre-Act IV, trial 120 was always a cave with Magroth. Similar to 101 always being a cave with Elban.

There is at least one new trial environment in beta -- sort of a forest.
      VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Nhat ... unlocking multiple trials via finishing quickly - - yes it seems to be the same in beta.

And I have seen no exceptions to the new 5 trial rotation of bosses.

Comment

Nhat thanks for your detailed feedback. I've edited the original to include your comments.

And maybe this post seems unnecessary to some — honestly it seems unnecessary to me now that I know all the things, mostly discovered through trial and error. But during those first few weeks when I seriously didn't understand the timer and whether and how it mattered, didn't realize that the environment and summoned boss weren't related, repeatedly summoned bosses inside tight bottleneck spaces, etc. I'm not much of a video watcher so I thought putting it down in text would be useful. At least it's searchable now for others

Comment

The OP has good potential to become a 'Guide'.
            We need one for Trials.
            Keep going!

Comment

A bit off topic, but...

Never underestimate the value of the Basics, pretty much can't do anything without it - or at least, you won't be able to understand why you're doing it. They can become second-nature if you've been doing/knowing it for a while, where they're now "obvious".

I've been told that I skip over them too much (at work), and having to teach certainly makes it much clearer how important Basics are - resulting from multiple "how did you end up there" moments.

Thank you for the contribution.
              Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 10 Aug 2018)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Nice comprehensive FAQ , could you provide more info on the quality of the drops and which are the ideal or minimum trial levels to farm set gears and named stuffs like Deidre Resolve?
                Currently playing hundred soul...

Comment

Well, I know in 55-57 is where I've gotten 2 Epic Dierdre Resolve, and 2 Mukraisers, and 1 Legendary DR, and 1 Legendary Muk, Also 4 epic Intergalas Mantle and 4 Epic named shields. But with random numbers it's just luck.

Comment

xfool I could link to more info on drop quality if someone has a better link. Pretty sure it's been covered elsewhere.

Nhat yeah I wasn't sure if jotting down all the "basics" would be worthwhile. On the one hand, every bullet point was something I wondered and had to either personally test or try to dig for an answer. On the other hand, not having the info was hardly game breaking and uncovering nuances is part of the fun and comes with playtime. But I also figured if I let a few more weeks go by I'd completely forget all the things I was rapidly taking for granted. There's always a sweet spot with a new game where you're new enough to remember all the dumb questions you had initially but finally experienced enough to know the answers. Wait too long and the only questions I care about are super nuanced theorycrafting which other more detailed folks kindly dig into for me. Basically documenting something simple was the only way I felt like I could give back to the community

Comment

Hiya

I would like to add something that I totally misunderstood until this weekend. I decided I would have a bit of an xp weekend as I was stalled on trials. So i donned what xp gear I had, not much but enough to make a difference to me. Then I realised that I was actually clearing trials quicker AND not hunting for mobs at the end. Then unlocked the a few levels without realising - was trying to unlock 65 from 60 then realised I had hit 66, then 68.

Anyway, long short story, I had a kerchunk moment, what I realised was that trial xp must be based off of your actual xp. That makes a huge difference for beating and unlocking lower level trials. More xp per mob = less mobs to kill = faster trials. I had, wrongly, assumed that trial xp was based off of some sort of trial xp, not your own actual xp rate.

Anyway, thought I would share that for anyone struggling to unlock trials. So obvious when I thought about it - but had not!

Comment

Very nice post.

One item I remember learning and having an a-ha moment on that deserves mentioning, IMO is the Boss Bar. Not only does it tell you when the boss will appear, it also tells you if you tracking to summon in time. The bar is green for the point to which you've cleared. If you are tracking to summon before the timer runs out, the whole bar will be green. If you are otherwise falling behind either through death or slow mob clearing, part of the Boss Bar turns red showing how much relative mob clearing you need to make up.

Its helpful for knowing to position for the boss as well as gauge if you're overextended.
                        Last edited by NoSuchReality; 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

You have to kill 200 mob monsters to get the boss to summon. The XP gained is a separate function of Trial Level & your XP gear & whether you are running a booster.

Comment

Originally posted by Coda View Post
                            You have to kill 200 mob monsters to get the boss to summon. The XP gained is a separate function of Trial Level & your XP gear & whether you are running a booster.
                            Okay have to go back and look again, but definitely was killing less mobs to summon the bosses with more xp on me .. before I was hunting the last mob to even summon the boss .. so i am not convinced it can be a flat 200.

Will look again.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSuchReality View Post
                              Very nice post.

One item I remember learning and having an a-ha moment on that deserves mentioning, IMO is the Boss Bar. Not only does it tell you when the boss will appear, it also tells you if you tracking to summon in time. The bar is green for the point to which you've cleared. If you are tracking to summon before the timer runs out, the whole bar will be green. If you are otherwise falling behind either through death or slow mob clearing, part of the Boss Bar turns red showing how much relative mob clearing you need to make up.

Its helpful for knowing to position for the boss as well as gauge if you're overextended.
                              okay that is interesting too, I have not seem it in the last week or so, but I assumed it was linked to making up xp from a death in the trial !

Comment

Working...
                              X