No announcement yet.

Please help - XP Mage from TL 85 to 90

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, quoted Exorcist and lost the other half of my reply.

So I'm still only TL 85ish, but if you're dying, is it just one shots from Kara or are the mob/minions doing a wear down and then a power attack finishes you?

I hate to ask about LoH as at lower levels, IMHO, most of us suffer from too much LoH and not enough vitality or DPS. In your case though, you have 74K HP but only 1000 LoH. Even with a 6.45 AS, you may be recharging your HP a little slow. Are you keeping up with the damage during the boss until a fat finger allows Kara to dust you?

Comment

Armor / Vitality / LoH -- XP mage perspective

Armor, causes the damage from a hit to be reduced. However it is "mostly" a diminishing-return stat. Until Act IV, a mage did not need to invest any extra into Armor. Since then, that also still seems to be true but it is probably more up for debate. I say "mostly" because you need to keep in mind what is carefully explained in Schmilo's guide (here). This is overly simplistic, but a damage drop from 100% to 90% is a similar "percentage reduction" as dropping from 10% to 9%. Not percentage points, but percent (90/100 = 9/10)

Vitality, allows you to take the hit -- whatever damage gets through Armor. If you don't have enough Vitality, then you get one-shot and no amount of LoH will help you. Vitality allows you to take fairly big hits from Elites or a not-enraged Magroth, for example, but you still need to dodge MultiShots, Charges, Enraged Magroth, Elban Devastate, etc. As a mage, you would have to invest too much into Armor+Vitality to be able to tank those, so they need to be avoided. Play-style is very important.

LoH keeps your life bar close to full while taking the smaller hits that would be inefficient to dodge. Also for a mage -- and this is very important -- it contributes to (re)building your Apprentice-Proc shield. You can read Arionthe multiple posts about the shield itself, and mage's "tanking ability". Attack Speed plays a role in this. It's something like this: all other factors being equal, 6 hits per second * 1000 LoH would be equivalent to 5 hits per second * 1200 LoH -- purely from a Life (Hit Points) perspective. Attack Speed plays a very interesting and complex role for mages, not just for LoH. A middle-level mage needs to be running >6.0 and a high-end mage arguably more like 6.7 to 7.0 --> speeds quoted include 3 archers.

All this having been said, a mage kind of needs to invest the minimum possible in these 3 stats: zero extra Armor, the minimum Vitality (it varies by player & style, but about 100k Toughness at trial level 85-90 should be about right; perhaps even 10% less) and the minimum LoH. Personally, I used to run only 1000 from CL points, but now I use the robe enchantment that grants another +400. There are a couple of top 10 LB mages that run even more.

Since your OP mentions this being your XP mage: you should have high XP on all gears, for a total of >800% unboosted. Don't rebuild an sacrifice XP. Build up other stats as you level up and get better gear, but keep XP high. Then you should run the highest trial you can clear the mobs-only stage in about 3 or 4 minutes. Read the guide to fine-tune it closer to your own personal optimum.

My XP mage can run trial ~112 (it's been a while since I pushed it). I think Purple Potato can run 114 with his, or used to, so maybe he'll swing by and give you some advice. But there's no point in pushing trials because XP caps at TL100. Sometimes I run 102 just to kill TBD for gear, but other than that, 100 is fine because you're normally only killing the mobs. On mobile I "only" run 92 or 97 depending on mood/distractions, and I kill TBD for the gear to get MoTs.

VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Coda mostly out of curiosity, do you run 2/7 trials because you find TBD the easiest, or is there another reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Trouble View Post
          Coda mostly out of curiosity, do you run 2/7 trials because you find TBD the easiest, or is there another reason?
          I'm guessing stationary boss meaning immo stack and only blink movements needed etc.
          GAQO KITO REZO 1934

Comment

I was thinking Kara and the Dragons since you can move and they relatively stay put or as the prior poster did with the video, push back and minions march through the immolation choke point. Magroth and Elban both are very mobile you need to run from their power attacks or die. You'll refire the immo, but you don't really want to spend a lot of time toe to toe to let it cook them and essentially,, they move through to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Arionthe View Post
              I'm guessing stationary boss meaning immo stack and only blink movements needed etc.
              TBD has the lowest HP , and goes down the fastest. I don't know if I would say she's the easiest. But I have her attacks wired best of them all, and yeah, she just sits there on top of my Immolates and under my Blizzards, unless I purposefully move out of range to get her to reposition.

If I get her spawned just right (or reposition her), minions stay alive for a while or even the whole fight and she might even be near an obstacle which rebounds Singularities ... then she's toast pretty fast.

I've also learned to try not to Blink out of danger, which soon kills my mirror. I walk a little to safer place, then Blink. Keeps mirror alive for a bit more DPS. Sometimes have to Blink away though.

I might try 94/99 now that Garm buffs don't go off the map. That's 10% more XP. But minions die fast.

When spamming a level for XP and MoTs, I need something I can waltz through, ya know?

EDIT: for XP only, I don't kill the boss and then who cares. But since crafting, I'm usually killing it for the MoTs and Essences
              Last edited by Coda; 01-16-2019, 11:45 PM.
              VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Working...
              X