Frost nova vs frost beam for mage Regalia set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost nova vs frost beam for mage Regalia set

Decided to deck out my OG mage in new regalia gear set to see what they can do. From those that have tried it, would you recommend frost nova or frost beam? From what I've seen, frost beam is more destructive and clears mobs more easily, but you get a 500% bonus for nova with set bonus. I'm also debating which weapon set will work best with this gear. Thought I'd try Igneus and Glacies since the entire Regalia set is focused on fire and ice, although on paper my DR and Necronomicon still both deal more damage.

Just finished T81 in 6 min 18 sec using frost beam. Now going to try with frost nova. Just finished in 6 min 39 sec. Only about a 20 second difference, but felt like frost beam did quicker job of clearing mobs, and seemed to inflict greater damage on boss than frost nova. I'll see if I can push this mage to T90 in this setup, since T75 had been their ceiling before 1.4.7 update.

Have a second mage from Bronze ANB who has just made it to T75. Have dressed them in 2:4 Arc:App gear to take advantage of new gear bonuses. Going to run them with DR & Necro to start, but may switch to Eridanus & Acamar if dying becomes too common a behavior. Just ran ANB mage on T76 with DR & Necro, finished with 16 seconds to spare, but died 6 times. Now I'll try it with Eridanus & Acamar. Just finished in a few seconds over 7 min, and never died. So, even though DR & Necro are better on paper, the Eridanus & Acamar are significantly better with this setup, and I never needed to use the protective void effect, amazingly.

Since the latest updates, Time Warp + Frost Bolt is the way to go. The reason why people go for Frost Nova is due to it activating Northern Wind for 4 seconds every time it is casted, which can be used to keep the triple damage Frost Bolt up. I don't think that there is any boost in the speed/damage of the Frost Beam with Time Warp active, and while channeling Frost Beam, you won't be able to use your normal attacks (aka Frost Bolt). In my opinion, Frost Nova still beats Frost Beam due to this reason.

I think the best weapon set is still Igneus and Glacias if you're planning to use the Regalia set. They just seem to work well together.
    YOCU REGO JASE 0953
    Sanctum

Top 10 Mage on Active Leaderboard
    T135 Regalia, T132 Apprentice

Top 10 in ANB 4
    Top 25 in ANB 5

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctum View Post
      Since the latest updates, Time Warp + Frost Bolt is the way to go. The reason why people go for Frost Nova is due to it activating Northern Wind for 4 seconds every time it is casted, which can be used to keep the triple damage Frost Bolt up. I don't think that there is any boost in the speed/damage of the Frost Beam with Time Warp active, and while channeling Frost Beam, you won't be able to use your normal attacks (aka Frost Bolt). In my opinion, Frost Nova still beats Frost Beam due to this reason.

I think the best weapon set is still Igneus and Glacias if you're planning to use the Regalia set. They just seem to work well together.
      Any spell with a long-cast (aka "channel") disrupts your Alacrity procs (because you stop auto-attack). This is why Frost Beam and Death From Above are less favored in this build, along with the self-root while casting.

The Regalia chest piece bonus adds two seconds to the duration of Northern Wind procs, taking it up to a 6-second duration, stacking up to 10s. Combined with other set bonus', like reducing cooldown for Fire/Frost by 6 seconds, it becomes very easy to achieve 100% uptime by alternating Immolate and Frost Nova.

For your third skill, you have multiple options, although Time Warp, Blizzard, and Blink make the most sense.

@Sanctum... I've noticed both you and Sauzer have dropped Frost Nova in favor of Time Warp, which significantly cuts the reliability of Northern Wind procs. Are you finding the increased AS and Damage buff from TW is enough to overcome the need for Northern Wind uptime, or is the amount of Haste you are getting enabling high TW uptime, and the 7% Northern Wind chance per shard is enough?

I feel like the answer is going to be "Frost Nova and NW uptime just isn't enough at 130+". So far I'm stuck on 119 Garm, regardless of what I try changing, but I attribute this more to my gear and low-risk playstyle. I'm gonna have to get a little more adventurous, I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	444a58f130d6b6edb3b3e63981172e77.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	134527
      Last edited by Trouble; 05-06-2019, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trouble View Post

Any spell with a long-cast (aka "channel") disrupts your Alacrity procs (because you stop auto-attack). This is why Frost Beam and Death From Above are less favored in this build, along with the self-root while casting.

The Regalia chest piece bonus adds two seconds to the duration of Northern Wind procs, taking it up to a 6-second duration, stacking up to 10s. Combined with other set bonus', like reducing cooldown for Fire/Frost by 6 seconds, it becomes very easy to achieve 100% uptime by alternating Immolate and Frost Nova.

For your third skill, you have multiple options, although Time Warp, Blizzard, and Blink make the most sense.

@Sanctum... I've noticed both you and Sauzer have dropped Frost Nova in favor of Time Warp, which significantly cuts the reliability of Northern Wind procs. Are you finding the increased AS and Damage buff from TW is enough to overcome the need for Northern Wind uptime, or is the amount of Haste you are getting enabling high TW uptime, and the 7% Northern Wind chance per shard is enough?

I feel like the answer is going to be "Frost Nova and NW uptime just isn't enough at 130+". So far I'm stuck on 119 Garm, regardless of what I try changing, but I attribute this more to my gear and low-risk playstyle. I'm gonna have to get a little more adventurous, I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	444a58f130d6b6edb3b3e63981172e77.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	134527
        With the use of Regalia set which increases the duration of the Northern Wind plus the fact that faster attacks mean more attacks with the use of Time Warp means higher chance to proc alacrity which cuts down the cast time of your spells, which lead to much quicker Blizzard spam and hence chances of keeping up Northern Wind active are higher. Also, with Time Warp, the time needed to kill bosses is much shorter making you able to move up trials easily. In my opinion, Frost Nova is less useful for boss killing so I decided to stick to Time Warp.

The increase in attack speed and damage buff from Time Warp is just awesome. too good to not have it.
        YOCU REGO JASE 0953
        Sanctum

Top 10 in ANB 4
        Top 25 in ANB 5

Comment

Can i get a layman's def on Death from Above disrupts alacrity procs? Are you just saying while DFA is firing (seems like forever) that you get no alacrity because you're not base attacking? Still playing with the set low level. Needs lots before pushing higher above TL102. Scarily strong with just rare set up using nova/immolate and 250Kish front page DPS. Granted my abilities are rank10.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSuchReality View Post
            Can i get a layman's def on Death from Above disrupts alacrity procs? Are you just saying while DFA is firing (seems like forever) that you get no alacrity because you're not base attacking? Still playing with the set low level. Needs lots before pushing higher above TL102. Scarily strong with just rare set up using nova/immolate and 250Kish front page DPS. Granted my abilities are rank10.
            Alacrity reduces your cooldown timers, but is primarily only triggered by basic attacks.

Utilities with a long cast, like Death From Above, stop your auto-attack and replace it with a spell effect.

Utilities which are instant-cast, like Immolate or Blizzard, do not interrupt your auto-attack. This enables you to keep proccing Alacrity at all times.

Instant-cast spells also do not prevent movement; the self-root many long-cast utilities can cause can lead to bad situations.
            Last edited by Trouble; 05-07-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Alacrity reduces your cooldown timers, but is primarily only triggered by basic attacks.

Utilities with a long cast, like Death From Above, stop your auto-attack and replace it with a spell effect.

Utilities which are instant-cast, like Immolate or Blizzard, do not interrupt your auto-attack. This enables you to keep proccing Alacrity at all times.

Instant-cast spells also do not prevent movement; the self-root many long-cast utilities can cause can lead to bad situations.
              Thanks that's what i thought you were saying. Yea the long cast on Death can be a problem given Bosses like Magroth or Elban still trigger their big attacks even while flash frozen by Nova. It kind of sucks to miss the blood drain warning on Elban because you're freezing him and go into the air for DfA on to have those red lines latch on evn though he's an icicle.

Comment

Next question, do we know the range on Thermal Shock and Shatter with the Grand Magister's set? It says around the caster. I did some quicky testing with my view range at 150%, it appears around means all the way to the edge of the screen and beyond, whether targeted or not. You can immolate the left edge mob and frost nova the mob on the right edge and thermal shock still fires. I think it also fires for mob off screen in vertical alignment.

is that correct? Seems to have potential for run and bomb on farming.
                Last edited by NoSuchReality; 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah, (especially) thermal shock is about a half mile in every direction.

Comment

The only thing that temps me to use Frost Beam is that is silences the target.
                    I have tried death from above and the only thing I love about it is I can avoid deadly attacks from bosses if timed right (e.g. dragons breath, poison nova, elban's attack etc).
                    Also, I used Carnival Cape over Integralas because it suits Regallia set, integralas is a bit off. Also with the 6stat bonus, I can still spam Immo and Blizzard (with the help of TW for alacrity). Also, I can trigger Carnival buff often with the help of TW so all the numbers I see on screen are critical damages.

All in all, I still use below set up though when trying higher trials:

Attack: FB/AL
                    Utilities: Immolate/Blizzard/TW
                    Passive: Celerity/GC/(variable)

Have not pushed far enough since I'm still farming for better gears plus a little more exp (still around CL1800).
                    Mobile Player
                    Altheo (M) ¦ Eijol (DW) ¦ Ratot (BH)

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctum View Post

With the use of Regalia set which increases the duration of the Northern Wind plus the fact that faster attacks mean more attacks with the use of Time Warp means higher chance to proc alacrity which cuts down the cast time of your spells, which lead to much quicker Blizzard spam and hence chances of keeping up Northern Wind active are higher. Also, with Time Warp, the time needed to kill bosses is much shorter making you able to move up trials easily. In my opinion, Frost Nova is less useful for boss killing so I decided to stick to Time Warp.

The increase in attack speed and damage buff from Time Warp is just awesome. too good to not have it.
                      Well it took a little practice to get used to the rhythm, but using Immo/TW/Blizz has gotten me to 2:37 clear time for trial 100 on mobile, almost as fast as my PC runs using Immo/Nova/Blizz. By comparison, other builds on Mobile are usually closer to 3:00-3:30, so it is definitely an improvement.

Comment

Trouble Nice! It's definitely the best build so far.
                        YOCU REGO JASE 0953
                        Sanctum

Top 10 in ANB 4
                        Top 25 in ANB 5

Comment

IMO Frost Beam is a no go for this set. You need to have at least 8 stacks of Elemental Fury constantly up, and FB can't be cast often enough. I tried Frost Nova instead of Blizz and didn't work either.
                          Last edited by hades0505; 05-08-2019, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hades0505 View Post
                            IMO Frost Bolt is a no go for this set. You need to have at least 8 stacks of Elemental Fury constantly up, and FB can't be cast often enough. I tried Frost Nova instead of Blizz and didn't work either.
                            Do you mean Frost Beam?

How much AR are you using?

Comment

Do you mean Frost Beam?

How much AR are you using?
                              Editted, xD

I'm at 50% CD reduction without IM. I wish I had more AR, but the drops haven't been good so far. Anyways, I'm clearing TL100 in 2 - 2:20 minutes with this build, and with TL128 cleared. Better attribute rolls would boost it ad infinitum.

Comment

Working...
                              X