No announcement yet.

Unlocking item levels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel that I should mention, it is and always has been possible to get level 70 gear on a level 1 character without spending any gems. With the new crafting system, you could potentially get an insanely lucky roll and have Master Crafter proc enough times to get a max level piece. With the old crafting system, it was even easier. You were able to incrementally step up equipment. I have had several characters in the past who were around level 10 and had level 70 legendary weapons. Those crafted weapons were also able to be equipped by other level 10 characters.
    Arcanist Mage: Muse, TL 145 in 9:30
    ANB Gold 2 BH: Shade, Rank 21 - TL 122

For a list of guides I've created, click here

Comment

Originally posted by Shade Glow View Post
      Now I'm wondering if speed clearing would actually be any faster if you try to maintain a low level as long as possible. Your stats will provide a greater benefit, but I believe the movement speed set bonus from Assault is nerfed while you're low level. Better start off with an exp set just to be safe. I'm getting ready to try this as well, btw. It's an exciting new thing to blow a ton of gems on. lol
      Heh cool

Level restricting and going full DPS (foresaking XP and gold stats on a full kit equipped at level 2) would improve the speed of a run for sure, best if doing just for gems. But given you can kill bosses so quickly already without going overboard, I don't think it will help as much as you might imagine, for sure negligable in normal and heroic stages.

I'm not even sure how high you would level just by killing bosses without XP boosted gear by the time you unlock legendary.

If already 1000+ CP I would recommend this route, as the main benefit of using XP gear is (slightly) more CP XP and improved loot that drops when stages have level 70 mobs (including gemlocked chests).

You can always switch in your normal gold farming gear when doing certain stages, saving them for the end of a level restricted speed run by the time you hit 70.

If you can keep your level low before unlocking legendary you would save more time by doing all stars on legendary stages before progressing past 1 star on normal and heroic stages.

With XP boosted (normal level restricted gear crafted every 10 levels or so), still only boss killing in plenty of stages, I can easily reach level 70 after doing 1 star on each normal stage.

I did craft level 25 legendary XP jewelry during my first speed run, which adds nearly 50% XP per piece (I've also dropped them 10 levels in my new BH yesterday so they can now be equipped at level 13 hehe).

If you're going to give level unlocking a try, I'd be curious what you find by taking a DPS level restricting method to compare with the method I'll be using.

You still want to get to level 20 to unlock stealth ASAP though as this reduces the most time from stages you would otherwise be waiting for agro to time out or running back to kill mobs with agro to use the town portal.

PS. If you do all stars during your item unlocking you won't actually be blowing gems, but still have a surplus lol.
      Last edited by Keaven; 09-07-2019, 03:42 AM.
      VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
      Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Keaven View Post
        If you can keep your level low before unlocking legendary you would save more time by doing all stars on legendary stages before progressing past 1 star on normal and heroic stages.

With XP boosted (normal level restricted gear crafted every 10 levels or so), still only boss killing in plenty of stages, I can easily reach level 70 after doing 1 star on each normal stage.

If you're going to give level unlocking a try, I'd be curious what you find by taking a DPS level restricting method to compare with the method I'll be using.
        I gave it some thought, and I believe that XP gear would be most efficient. I've refined my 5 star speed clear runs quite a bit. As I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure the movement speed bonus provided by the Assault set has been significantly reduced for low level characters.

This:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Assault Set Bonus.png
Views:	88
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	149097

It currently takes me a little under 30 minutes to do 1 full clear of story mode on Legendary difficulty. I'm not slowed down by lack of Damage or Toughness. Enhancing those parameters would have no effect on my clear time. However, even with reduced movement speed, my overall run might be a lot faster if I don't have to worry about leveling up my hero before starting the full clears. That's why I believe XP gear would be the best option. I could simply level up naturally during the run (like you said).

You mentioned swapping equipment to improve farming other items and resources during the run. I prefer not to farm gold, gemstones, essences, or XP while doing 5 star runs. This is just my preference. I feel that it's too distracting. I farm each of those things more efficiently when I farm them separately. The exception is that gold, gemstones, and essences are naturally farmed together while doing Morgenheim runs.

Comment

Cool.

Do you use gold gear as well in your speed runs?
          VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
          Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Cool.

Do you use gold gear as well in your speed runs?
            Actually, I don't. When I do, I find myself always trying to collect gold throughout the run, which slows me down too much. I try to hit the Finish Level button as soon as humanly possible. I don't bother with most boss chests. I only grab the ones in levels where there are more than one boss chest.

Comment

The characters are used for gem farming then deleted. Rinse, repeat. Each speed runner BH nets 1,590 gems from story mode stars plus as mentioned before, CP XP, gold, gemstones, and crafting materials (as well as ad boxes during).

No gems are spent on the speed running characters, and the only reason I'll be using gems for these items is the same reason people spend 1000 gems to unlock the 5th hero slot just for daily quest of 20 gems per day (a 50 day minimum investment). The time saved in the long run will make it worthwhile.
              So if I am understanding you correctly, you don't unlock any additional ability slots, hire minions or expand your character's stash. Just keep it bare-bones? Is that right?

Comment

Actually, I don't. When I do, I find myself always trying to collect gold throughout the run, which slows me down too much. I try to hit the Finish Level button as soon as humanly possible. I don't bother with most boss chests. I only grab the ones in levels where there are more than one boss chest.
                I've noticed people complaining about the grind for gear and gold (needed for crafting top end gear), and I'm finding spending a little bit more time during speed runs (for gold, gemstones, and crafting mats in addition to gems) and alternating with gear/XP trial grinding is enjoyable, much better than just grinding the same map for gold, gemstones, and crafting mats, and the same TL for gear and XP.

Using income boosters during speed runs when doing normal Morgenheim stars (I also use Act IV normal 1st and 3rd stages during boosts) also spaces it out and varies gameplay more to remove the grinding feel. I don't even switch in the optimised gold gear I've collected (except jewelry) because there's not a huge difference with the gold boosts on my speed run gear.

I don't even have much gear that I want for my main characters and I'm finding Trial grinding is a bit of a chore, but bearable when alternated with speed running.

Pacing the game this way I have plenty of resources when I want to use them.

Originally posted by Ubba Lothbrokson View Post

So if I am understanding you correctly, you don't unlock any additional ability slots, hire minions or expand your character's stash. Just keep it bare-bones? Is that right?
                Correct.

Since it will be deleted once all story stars are achieved, there's no need to spend gems for it's purpose as this reduces the gems/hour farmed, however since plenty of gems are made per speed runner, if there is anything that improves enjoyment of a run as well as speed, there's no reason you couldn't spend a few if you wanted.

Because companions don't stealth and draw mob aggro that can delay using the town portal, a companion isn't used in most stages.
                Last edited by Keaven; 09-08-2019, 05:46 AM.
                VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Ubba Lothbrokson View Post

I usually add 1 ability slot for 50 gems. This allows me to bring Smoke Screen as well as Rapid Fire. Rapid Fire speeds up the run quite a bit, as it allows you to kill a boss or cluster of enemies very quickly, and of course, you absolutely need Smoke Screen. You can add an extra row of inventory space for 50 gems if you like. It's not necessary, but it does allow you to make fewer trips to the salvage bench.

Comment

I usually add 1 ability slot for 50 gems. This allows me to bring Smoke Screen as well as Rapid Fire. Rapid Fire speeds up the run quite a bit, as it allows you to kill a boss or cluster of enemies very quickly, and of course, you absolutely need Smoke Screen. You can add an extra row of inventory space for 50 gems if you like. It's not necessary, but it does allow you to make fewer trips to the salvage bench.
                    That would be my recommendation too, although the setup I use doesn't have 6 Assault pieces. I use Havoc gloves and cap with bombardment enchantments, so I would use multishot/heatseekers instead of rapid fire.

But it depends how long the previous run took in real time as to how far I can upgrade the abilities on the reserve BH.

The good thing is Smoke Screen doesn't add much value at higher levels, Pathfinder and Scattershot you want at level 10 if enough time to upgrade.
                    Last edited by Keaven; 09-09-2019, 02:10 AM.
                    VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                    Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

The good thing is Smoke Screen doesn't add much value at higher levels, Pathfinder and Scattershot you want at level 10 if enough time to upgrade.
                      Yeah, that's one of the things that's nice about BH. You don't need to level up all the abilities in order for it to be reasonably effective.

Comment

Working...
                      X