How much is a set of weapons worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a set of weapons worth?

My question is general across all character classes, but I will illustrate using one of my Bounty Hunters.

Kinkaid is a level 1220 Champion and is sporting a full set of Legendary Havoc gear, one level 73, two level 71, a level 70 Integrelas Mantle, decent but not spectacular jewelry. He is using a pair of non-set pistols both level 72. One with damage 1388 - 1734, the other 1401 - 1751.

I have kept these pistols, as the only set pistols I have acquired have much lower damage stats. The best Set items I have are a pair of Tesla pistols with damage 1224 - 1530 and 1187 - 1483. These compare at -15.4% and -20.9% for one and -10.4% and -15.9% damage for the other. Both are level 70.

The only uplevel Set pistol I have acquired so far is a Hailstorm with damage of 1311 - 1639. This compares at -5.3 damage to the lesser of the two pistols Kinkaid is equipping.

I have not fiddled with the pistols thus far since Kinkaid is my most successful hero so far. I got him to Trial Level 93 with a time of 7:07, well within the top 10%, so that is pretty good. He also earned me my first Celestial Cube in the most recent ANB.

So my question is - at what point do the special properties of Set items compensate for lesser raw damage? Would I be better off equipping that Tesla set? Or do I need to try to acquire better set pieces?
    Last edited by Ubba Lothbrokson; 09-07-2019, 09:03 PM.

While not offering up any specifics as I do not have a good answer I do have some advice on how you may ferret out the answer for your specific gear comparisons.

When trying to determine what gear works best, not just with weapons but any, when you have disparate pros and cons that you are weighting the developers have provided a tool which is rather handy but I know that it also goes unused too much from personal experience. The Training Grounds can be a great way to compare damage effects from different combinations. This is especially true with impacts that you can not necessarily readily see from the damage summary at the end of each trial. The Training Grounds provides a way that, while not perfect, helps to separate the "This feels better. " or "This seems better." situation to an empirical approach.

Making use of the Training Grounds and using your personal playing style will help you compare raw damage throughput or even survivability of various configurations.This is especially import for factors that may not be easily evident.

Take the mage's Arc Lightning as an example. If you look at the damage summary at trial's end you may not even see Arc Lightning listed as the direct damage is so minor. However, Arc Lightning is a critical piece that allows higher levels of damage due to its multiplier effect on other abilities. Just looking at the descriptions or even watching the direct impact you would questions why you even want to use the ability. When you see the effect on damage per second in the Training Grounds then you become fully aware of how important it indispensable it is plus you can get a better for how to use it.

Consider trying the various weapon combinations for an extended test in the Training Grounds to help guide your decisions.

All things outside of the special effects or or set bonus being approximate the same then set gear is the way to go, hands down, as we all know. When you start having differences of 5% or 10% then you really start to scratch your head.

I know that I will allow a large amount of damage disparity between Tesla set and other options as the Tesla set best suits my play style which is what is most valuable to me.

Others probably have hard numbers for you. I primarily just wanted to get you thinking of the process I use to evaluate my options.

From an endgame perspective? The answer will always be acquiring better set pieces but that may not always be practical.

Comment

Ubba Lothbrokson, Tin Man made some great points about figuring out what works best for you and your play style. I've used Training Grounds multiple times to confirm or prove to myself that one weapon set did or did not work better than another.

From my experience a decent gun set is better in long run than 2 great non-set guns. However, you also want to match your weapons with your gear set. Your Tesla gun set will work best with full Assault gear, whereas your full Havoc gear set is designed to work best with the Igniters gun set. Likewise Stalker gear and Shadow Assassin pistols are best matched together. While the Hailstorm is considered a "special" weapon as it has it's own bonus, it's not a set gun since there is no matching item that combines for an extra bonus.

If you're interested in seeing what gear combinations work best take a look at gear being used on LBs. There may be a few who are playing at higher levels with non-set weapons, but most are using set weapons. Of my 4 active heros (mage, warrior, 2 BH) I only use non-set weapons for my gold mining BH. For him I use a Hailstorm (50%gold) and a Pistol of Gore (42%gold), and only because they have highest % gold. Both guns are L72 with 1350+ to 1700+ damage range, which is more than enough to make storyline gold runs. All other heros are equipped with full weapon sets that match their gear sets.

You can probably use the guns you have for now, but I have a feeling you'll need to be upgrading soon if you want to beat higher levels. Work on getting paired sets of gear and weapons first, then work on improving them to higher levels.
      Mobile & PC player: Android, Win10
      Ravenstar - BH (Stalker), T115+
      Magenta - mage (ELR), T100+
      Greystone - BH (Assault, Au miner), T100+
      Rageon - Warrior (Jugg, Exp miner), T115+
      Rageon - Warrior, T75

Comment

Thanks for the reply TinMan.

I have to admit I have not tried the training grounds very much. Looks like you get a whole bunch of numbers. I guess one would need to write those numbers down, then change the gear equipped and compare?

Comment

RockDoc,

That is very useful information about which pistol sets work best with which gear sets. I suspect that I will need to craft my own pistols eventually. When I do I will remember your advice on match-ups.

Thanks!

Comment

Ubba,
            you'll also want to pay attention to which primary, secondary and passive skills you are using. Certain skills or skill combos can enhance your gear/weapon set's performance, while others won't be as effective. Again, looking at higher ranking players can give you insight as to what skills work best with different gear/weapon sets.
            Rageon - Warrior, T75

Comment

after quite some time runnin along with SW

i personally vote:

Weapon (set? nothin in particular) with Encrypted shield

Thus no complete set for SW weapon & shield imao
              Last edited by TheExorcist; 09-08-2019, 04:06 AM.
              Honest playin with Low end Pc only

DW Trial 124 in 9:01 min (not bad)

Comment

TheExorcist If memory (6 mos ago) serves me right, before intro of the new weapon sets wouldn't a DR or Muck have been the best pairing for your ES?

My . . . how game has changed.
                Rageon - Warrior, T75

Comment

Diedre, adding effectively 10% more auto-attacks?

Muk will summon more minions

i dislike distraction along the way (minions)

Deidre wins!!
                  Last edited by TheExorcist; 09-09-2019, 12:39 AM.
                  Honest playin with Low end Pc only

DW Trial 124 in 9:01 min (not bad)

Comment

Depending on what I want to use them for (farming story or trials, or trial progression) I test them in Training Grounds and trials using the stat page.

You want to keep the best of any set/unique you find for this purpose if you have the space.
                    Last edited by Keaven; 09-09-2019, 02:18 AM.
                    VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                    Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Ubba Lothbrokson View Post
                      Thanks for the reply TinMan.

I have to admit I have not tried the training grounds very much. Looks like you get a whole bunch of numbers. I guess one would need to write those numbers down, then change the gear equipped and compare?
                      I screenshot to keep track of anything important.
                      VIQA TESO VUBA 6781
                      Eternium Walkthrough

Comment

Originally posted by Keaven View Post
                        Depending on what I want to use them for (farming story or trials, or trial progression) I test them in Training Grounds and trials using the stat page.

You want to keep the best of any set/unique you find for this purpose if you have the space.
                        I have been keeping the best of each set item I encounter. Most are still level 70. But they take up an awful lot of stash space. I'm down to one page for jewelry crafting.

Keaven - that's a good idea. I'll try it.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Comment

Working...
                        X