Gem Farming (not gold or gemstones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gem Farming (not gold or gemstones)

I have searched but do not seem to find much on how folks go about farming gems. I have seen some comments about speed running story mode yet without much detail.
    If there is a guide I have not located it.
    I see folks in some of the vids with 23k in their gem bank. Thx in advance for the help

Take a look at this link, take a look at section 6.2.

The link is now dated but gives you the basis of speed running for farming gems. Some players have several hundred thousand gems. Tens of thousands of gems is not unusual, especially right after a season ends.

The fun part is that now the developers have set it up so that your gem drop rate is effectively capped each day as the more you play each day the fewer gems will drop.

Seems that the greatly reduced ability to farm gems other than through speed running is the trade-off for how much cheaper the developers have made the game, gem-wise. While the cost to unlock Stash remains the same, pretty much everything else is far cheaper than it used to be back in the days of ad boxes and such. Constant ANBs and seasons make the game much cheaper to reach high levels of play.

Comment

• ricklhall
      ricklhall commented
      Editing a comment
      So healpful. This is exactly what I needed. thx so much.

Gems are precious in this game.

The easiest way to secure gems is to perform your daily quest tasks to get 100 gems per day, assuming you had one hero complete Story mode and the associated tasks once.

Gems are also occasionally available (NOT every day) as a daily reward during the month for just signing into the game. The schedule repeats.

Gem farming is done with a new hero in the so-called 5-star runs in Story. The rinse and repeat strategy is to use your new ANB hero to farm a fresh Story run each time the hero is created, then you delete it and wait for the next ANB to start the cycle again (some may keep their hero to make it one of their mains). There are a minimum of 795 gems that can be earned by completely running each World and respective maps 5 times. In addition to those earned gems, gem drops do occur randomly adding to the total, especially when claiming the last chest(s) in a map (I don't have figures on how many more).

Besides Story Mode farming, you can earn another 1000 gems during a Season Event. That can be increased to 10,000 gems if you buy a Season Pass (I recommend it!), but in either case, you'll have to wait until Season is over to claim your gems.

Another (inexpensive) buy option is to get the 100 gems per day for 30 days (again, I support this).

Finally, during an Event, you'll be given offers to buy gems outright in various configurations and packages, perhaps along with other items. This, again, is a personal choice.

These are currently the key ways to secure gems. If I missed anything, I'm sure someone will chime in to add.
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.” – Japanese proverb

KUWA QOGI VEJU 4115

VACAFOR - 4F/2W Warrior
    ... MICA - Mage ... BELA - Hybrid BH ... MICATHREE - Mage Farmer ... BELAFOR - BH Farmer

Comment

• ricklhall
      ricklhall commented
      Editing a comment
      Again, so helpful. Doing the dailys and bought into the season event . Now for some focused speed running. THX

I looked at that link. How on earth do you get 612 feet/sec?

I have a BH with full assault gear, +80 MS on pants and boots, Cape of Celerity living item, MS enchants, Pathfinder passive, and coffee. This gives me roughly 44 feet/sec.

Is 612 a bug exploit?
    DUCI HEXA YIWA 0721

Comment

• Tin Man
      Tin Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Noticed how if you do not change gear while you are leveling up to level 70 your Damage, Toughness and Recovery ratings can go down each time you level up another level?

This is because one point of an attribute for some attributes does not have the same impact at level 70 as it does at level 1. A single point of Haste at level 1 increases your damage a whole lot more than that same point when your hero is level 70. The impact of Movement Speed is one of those attributes that have a declining impact as you level up.

So, a perfect level 77 Movement Speed of 84.38 helps to make your hero feel "normal" at level 70. That same perfect value on both your pieces when they are unlocked down to level 1 and equipped by a level 1 hero? Well, your hero basically teleports. I find those very high levels of Movement Speed untenable and will hold off equipping the boots and pants until the hero is at a higher level. Just having one piece of L70+ pants or boots equipped at level 1 is insanely fast enough.

No hacking. No magic. Just understanding and taking advantage of the game's mechanics.

• Arawn
      Arawn commented
      Editing a comment
      Tin Man But how do you equip level 70 items when you're level 1?

• Tin Man
      Tin Man commented
      Editing a comment
      You unlock the item multiple times. You can unlock an item up to 10 levels at a time. You can unlock any item whether it be gear or jewelry all the way done to level 1 if you so choose. The only requirements for unlocking a piece down to level 1 are the time involved and the gems required. Unlocking ten levels at a time is the most gem expensive but only requires six passes at most. Two levels at a time is the gem cheapest but requires up to 34 iterations.

Is really no different than equipping a level 70 item when your hero is only level 65. The process only requires more time and effort.

Tin Man Dude... It is not letting me unlock anything

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220319-181336_68dbe00f0fcd6dfd7235a3c537a2baa1__01.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	210618Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220319-181340_68dbe00f0fcd6dfd7235a3c537a2baa1__01.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	210617
    DUCI HEXA YIWA 0721

Comment

Originally posted by Arawn View Post
      Tin Man Dude... It is not letting me unlock anything

Name:	Screenshot_20220319-181336_68dbe00f0fcd6dfd7235a3c537a2baa1__01.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	210618Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220319-181340_68dbe00f0fcd6dfd7235a3c537a2baa1__01.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	210617
      This is actually discussed in the thread link presented eariler.

One of my original posts about this was ...

You lower gear down by:
      • Getting the gear that you want to lower in its entirety.
      • Starting a new hero.
      • Level up to level 60.
      And then the big decisions start.

You need to decide whether you want to do this the fast way or the least expensive way or something in between.

First, the costs to unlocked gear down are:

# Level 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
      Gem Cost 5 8 13 20 29 40 53 68 85 104
      Okay, so I can drop a pair of pants down to level 60 for 104 gems. That is the maximum you can unlock. Well, not quite.

See, you can only unlock a maximum of 10 levels PER unlock. So, this is where the fun begins.
      • Unlock the pants down to level 60 for 104 gems.
      • Create a new hero.
      • Level that hero to level 50.
      Guess what?

Now, you get to unlock the same pants again but this time down to level 50 for the same 104 gems.

Rinse. Repeat.

Once you get to new level 1 hero and can see the pants now unlocked down to level 10 you can do the final unlock down to level 1 for 85 gems.

All told? Unlocking a single piece of gear the fast way all the way down to level 1 will require you to create seven heroes and spend 709 gems.

That is cheap. Isn't it?

So, what about unlocking a pair of pants the least expensive way?
      • Getting the gear that you want to lower in its entirety.
      • Starting a new hero.
      • Level up to level 68.
      • Unlock the pants down to level 68 for 8 gems.
      • Create a new hero.
      • Level that hero to level 66.
      • Unlock the pants down to level 66 for 8 gems.
      • Repeat the cycle all the way until your hero is level 1 when the pants are unlocked to level 4.
      • Unlock the pants down to level 1 for 13 gems.

Whew! So, thirty-four heroes and 277 gems later you now have a pair of level 70+ pants that you can use on your level 1 hero.

Don't you feel special?

Doing this the least expensive way took me around 80 hours of real life time when I ran through the complete proof of concept.

Yes, you may choose any path from the fastest to the least expensive to anything in between. Yes, the unlocked gear is just that, unlocked gear. The gear is unlocked and not the hero using the gear so unlocked gear may be used by any hero class that may normally use the piece and that meets the unlocked level requirement.

Ya really do not want to do something like this more than once unless you are a masochist or just love wasting time and energy. Some would say you are a complete masochist for wanting to do it just once.

If you are thinking about doing something like this you really want to make sure what your goals are. Do you want damage gear? Experience gear? Gold farming gear? Which hero class? What sets? What attributes?

There isn't anything more powerful than a level 1 hero with level 70+ gear as various attributes like Power actually get weaker per unit has your hero levels up to level 70. A hero might have a damage rating of something like 6M at level 1 but only 900K at level 70 with the same exact gear, champion levels, synergy and abilities.

Movement speed at level 1 is insane and you can easily reach 300+ FPS while 35 FPS is normally fast. You can reach speeds that you are effectively teleporting and those enemies that appear out of nowhere when you move by their spot do not even react.

Well, that is pretty much how it works. It is an interesting thing to do. One must have specific reasons for want to do it or just like chasing down rabbit holes.

Also, the maximum level requirement for jewelry is only level 68 so it is a smidge less expensive to drop jewelry level requirements than it is for other gear.

I think I covered everything. Anything that I missed? Any typos or errors in my mathematics?

Questions?

Comment

• RockDoc
        RockDoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I stand corrected, once again. You'd think I'd have learned by now to make sure I have my facts correct before I post a comment. Plus I should have real experience with the topic being discussed. In this case I made a comment based on a quick read of a post with no actual experience with either gem farming as a specific objective, or lowering the usability level of gear more than once in ANBs. I shall endeavor to insure that any future comments I post are based on my actual knowledge and experience, and not what I did or didn't read.
        Or I'll just be expressing snarky opinions or comebacks to something that someone else has posted!
        Last edited by RockDoc; 04-15-2022, 02:39 AM.

• Tin Man
        Tin Man commented
        Editing a comment
        RockDoc Now you want to go and ruin all of our fun!

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Tin Man, 80 hours, you mad bast*rd.

I looked at that link. How on earth do you get 612 feet/sec?
      hellodear.in

teatv.ltd

Last edited by jaani wangu; 04-14-2022, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Tin Man
        Tin Man commented
        Editing a comment
        You looked at the links under section 6.2 as well as the brief primer that I gave in this thread?

Is really no different than equipping a level 70 item when your hero is only level 65. The process only requires more time and effort.
      hellodear.in

teatv.ltd

Comment

So, using BH, it takes me roughly 20 minutes of in-game time, which is 40 minutes of real-world time, to run through all the first-world levels five times (except the two gauntlet levels which are only completed once) netting roughly 100 gems (including the 25 gems received from quests and also the cost of character deletion). This translates to approximately one gem every 24 seconds (of real-world time). Anyone else have any wildly different data?
        Last edited by Arawn; 06-11-2022, 01:59 PM.
        DUCI HEXA YIWA 0721

Comment

• Arawn
          Arawn commented
          Editing a comment
          Tin Man I know you use BH... Ever timed the process?

• WarriorSeven
          WarriorSeven commented
          Editing a comment
          For all 3 of my classes, 40 minutes of real time to 5-star World I (16 Levels) seems about right. I haven't tried it, but wearing a Cape of Celerity (that special "living" Epic drop that adds +41 Speed) and an Elderan Coffee (buy at Tavern for an additional +10 Speed; 62,500 gold/10 min.) can only improve the time.

• Tin Man
          Tin Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, I have never really been into speed farming gems. I was involved in the old discussions simply because of the unlocking gear rabbit hole.

On top of that? I prefer to use a mage to clear story levels. Yeah, a smidge slower than a hunter but has a benefit similar to Smoke Screen through the GMC Shatter. Additionally, you kill a lot more things which means more gold, stuff and gems when you clear a level.

I understand you wanting to avoid Act II but I believe your gems farming would gain even more if you run through all the Normal levels once all the way through Act IV to unlock the side quests and then run through each level that you want to farm another four times and those that you do not want to farm but have a side quest a second time to maximize your gem farming. This will gain you the roughly 120 gems from the side quests.

There have been comments in the past that some players believe the gems that you can earn each day from farming are capped at around 500 gems/day. I have no idea how true this is and gems from quests and clearing story levels are not impacted. The gems earned from quests and story levels might count toward that cap. Someone else in the know would have to address any possible gem farming cap.

I will say that toward the end of the day it seems that gems dropped by trials and story levels do seem to decrease and come back after the day rolls over locally. I have never tracked this though and it could just be my mind playing games.

I am definitely not a fan of five-staring all story levels for all three difficulties for the 1500+ gems. I do tend to keep my old ANB heroes around to claim the Daily Quests until they have five-starred enough Normal levels that I will think about finishing five-staring the other levels before deleting the hero.

That is about all that I know regarding speed farming gems.

Nobody mention the Jumping Gem Farming? You can use a warrior to jump around the map like crazy. Some levels can be finished with two or three jumps.

Comment

• Arawn
          Arawn commented
          Editing a comment
          They operative word being "some" levels. Yes, warrior can take shortcuts through maps using Leap, but this does no good if the end of the map is not close enough to the start of the map to make use of Leap. Also, the level cannot be completed unless all mobs aggroed along the way are eliminated. This is not an issue with BH as it can cast SS. I've used all three classes and for this purpose BH was by far the fastest. Even once leveled up to 20 to unlock SS I can still get something like 73 ft per second. Fast

Yes, jumping works better on square maps. On maps having one straight line, jumping still works good if you combine tornadoes with it. Tornado not only kills all mobs around it but also speed up the warrior.

Comment

Arawn
          After reading thru this thread, I'm curious to what your final build/decision is for BH speed gem farming?

Comment

• Arawn
            Arawn commented
            Editing a comment
            BH--all the way. By far the fastest. 4 Assault, 2 Havoc, level 77 fully unlocked, movement speed enchants on pants and boots, Cape of Celerity, coffee, and Pathfinder passive. Level up to 20 to unlock Smokescreen, then remove XP jewelry and empty XP CLs to keep movement speed as fast as possible. I prefer to just five-star the first world, then delete, repeat
            Last edited by Arawn; 08-10-2022, 11:48 AM.

Level 1 BH with max-level gear

Name:	IMG_20221114_150340.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	215110

Name:	IMG_20221114_150439.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	215111