Game Crashes - PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Crashes - PC

I am experiencing game crashes here and there on PC rather consistently since 1.4+ has gone live.

When I say crashes - the game closes completely, no error message. This is usually during a trial or right after some high action fighting.

Most recent: Just a moment ago. I logged in. Went to each character to collect the daily quest, switched over to event hero, put on some +exp gear and +exp booster and hit trial 80. Ripped through the entire trial and killed the boss. As loot from the trial was coming in the game crashed. I logged back in and I received exp towards my CPs and daily quest credit but the no items (I don't care about the items all that much - that's not the point of this post).

I have experienced these crashes on two PCs (work & home). Both PCs are windows 10, up to date and okay hardware wise.

Perhaps some helpful diag info:
    It seems to happen more frequently when there are more programs open in the background.
    It also seems to be more frequent when running the game in windowed mode.
    Default monitor resolution I run is 2560 x 1440.

Is there any know issues or things we can watch out for to minimize the number of crashes?

Crashes are usually due to RAM overload. As you mentioned, it happened more often when there are other programs opened.

v1.4 appears to be needing more resources than previous 1.3. So you can try closing as much as you can before starting the game.

There have been previous reports about memory issues when you changed chars a lot, so it could be a repeat of that sort of "memory leaks" - things not getting cleared up when not needed anymore...

At the extreme, you can restart the game after starting all the dailies and then selecting you char. And do so again before doing your trial push...
    Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 21 May 2019)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

thanks Nhat...my ANB game recently crash frequently..waste valuable time...well Count Dracula (low end pc)

but when i follow your advice..close PC program here and there..much better

41min to go at ANB..dunno can make at at the ANB LB or not...more important i'm very happy...this ANB is the most "Tough"..I like it..

rest for awhile..fully utilize the remaining time at the last day of ANB

Thank you
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TheExorcist; 05-13-2019, 01:26 PM.
      Whirlwind SW trial 128 in..7:40m....Nice ..well still with a few crap gears.. erm...fail to beat Garm at 129 tough...(PC only)

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post
        Crashes are usually due to RAM overload. As you mentioned, it happened more often when there are other programs opened.

v1.4 appears to be needing more resources than previous 1.3. So you can try closing as much as you can before starting the game.

There have been previous reports about memory issues when you changed chars a lot, so it could be a repeat of that sort of "memory leaks" - things not getting cleared up when not needed anymore...

At the extreme, you can restart the game after starting all the dailies and then selecting you char. And do so again before doing your trial push...
        Monitoring RAM usage while playing It doesn't seem to use more than 1 GB of RAM. The machines I use have plenty of memory to spare.

Back in the day or playing alpha/beta titles I have seen memory leaks. Where the app will force shut down or slow down to a crawl due to not enough free memory. With this type of problem within windows you can typically see ram usage go up and up the longer the application is running.
        That does not appear to be the issue here. If it were that's a code problem and I'd assume the problem would be consistent.

Keep in mind the problem is frequent - not consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyclown View Post

Monitoring RAM usage while playing It doesn't seem to use more than 1 GB of RAM. The machines I use have plenty of memory to spare.

Back in the day or playing alpha/beta titles I have seen memory leaks. Where the app will force shut down or slow down to a crawl due to not enough free memory. With this type of problem within windows you can typically see ram usage go up and up the longer the application is running.
          That does not appear to be the issue here. If it were that's a code problem and I'd assume the problem would be consistent.

Keep in mind the problem is frequent - not consistent.
          Well, I'm mostly guessing, based on reported symptoms and what I know, so, yeah...

With respect to the "consistency" thing, it would only be consistent if you're doing exactly the same thing each time. Since that is almost impossible, especially so when there's chances involved, you won't see consistent errors.

With respect to available RAM, there's also the potential of poor internal management by the application. So it won't necessarily request more, but try to work with what it currently have, or think it have, and fail... Not much you can do if this was the case unfortunately.

Closing un-needed apps also free up CPU/GPU threads, so more than be used by the game, or system processes, thus hopefully things will run smoother - not to mention reducing potential disk access, which is usually the slowest part of things (in terms of applications speed...)

Hopefully the devs can look into it, in the mean time, hope the suggestions help reduces crash/lag, have fun.
          Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 21 May 2019)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

For me it's been crashing regularly (exactly same symptoms) ever since I started in PC 2-ish months ago, don't think this is new since 1.4.x

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post

Well, I'm mostly guessing, based on reported symptoms and what I know, so, yeah...

With respect to the "consistency" thing, it would only be consistent if you're doing exactly the same thing each time. Since that is almost impossible, especially so when there's chances involved, you won't see consistent errors.

With respect to available RAM, there's also the potential of poor internal management by the application. So it won't necessarily request more, but try to work with what it currently have, or think it have, and fail... Not much you can do if this was the case unfortunately.

Closing un-needed apps also free up CPU/GPU threads, so more than be used by the game, or system processes, thus hopefully things will run smoother - not to mention reducing potential disk access, which is usually the slowest part of things (in terms of applications speed...)

Hopefully the devs can look into it, in the mean time, hope the suggestions help reduces crash/lag, have fun.
              since my initial post that was the only crash I experienced today... It's really odd. That was playing on my work machine today too for a little bit.
              Some days I'll have 2-3 crashes within 20 minutes or so.

Here is my system usage during play (typical) - From what I gather: It appears that the game is single threaded, uses less than 1 GB of RAM, and has almost no impact on disk read/write (C:\). Although does utilize the GPU pretty well.

I'll keep trying to replicate to narrow down the issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eternium Usage 05.13.2019.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	135311

Comment

Two more crashes tonight 5/14/2019....

1.) While half way through a trial.
                2.) While sitting in town upgrading abilities.

Only back ground app open - Task manager.

I did not notice any abnormal resource usage.

Comment

Try resetting Eternium:
                  # Open the start menu.
                  # Go to settings>apps.
                  # Search for "Eternium" and click on the result.
                  # Click "advanced options".
                  # Click "reset".

Comment

Originally posted by ྿༻Travis༺྿ (Support Mgr.) View Post
                    Try resetting Eternium:
                    # Open the start menu.
                    # Go to settings>apps.
                    # Search for "Eternium" and click on the result.
                    # Click "advanced options".
                    # Click "reset".
                    So far so good! Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X