Druidic Ward

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Druidic Ward

I'm sporting the Druidic Ward ("You are immune to critical hit effects"). My Berserker opponent the Urn of Shadows. He was able to use the urn by virtue of accruing three critical hits.

If this is not working as intended, please disregard what follows.

This feels like cheating to get around the ward. Further, I'd argue that incrementing the critical hit counter on the urn is in fact, a direct critical hit effect and shouldn't be allowed against the ward. Imagine if the urn enabled the trigger of its 10-point damage after a single critical hit--I think that would be universally viewed as unearned (yep, did that).
    Last edited by osoviejo; 04-29-2017, 06:48 PM.

Druidic Ward vs. Polished Diamond Orb:

The -1 effect icon is shown on a critical hit. Not sure if the opponent was actually able to play a token for -1 AP.

Also unsure if the passive critical hit effect of the orb worked. I'll try to pay better attention.

Comment

It says YOU are immune to critical hits, not that the enemy can't crit, or that crit effects don't apply to the enemy either. Daggers will still recover AP and orbs will still make tokens cheaper, because those are crit effects that apply on the enemy. Also, everything that triggers on critical hits still works, including things you wear (for example, the Fanatic weapons still retaliate, Pendant of Might still gives you +1 damage when you receive a crit etc.).

In other words, that item protects you from:
      • losing AP from hammer crits
      • bleeding from sword crits
      • axes breaking your shield or dealing extra damage on crit
      • disabled tokens from staff crits

That's it.

Comment

Thanks Mihnea, I hope to read more carefully some day.

On the plus side, the detailed overview and itemized list are great and very helpful. On the downside, kind of wish I could get my 750g back.

Comment

Related questions:

1. Why are say, Seduce and Shadow Pierce treated differently when used against Tyrfing? In my ongoing effort to be a better reader, I note that Seduce uses the word "Disable" while for Shadow Pierce it's "Dispel." Does that mean Disable is a negative effect, but Dispel is not?

2. Does Tyrfing make Resilience useless? I wouldn't think so, since triggering it isn't a negative effect, but since I started looking for it I haven't seen it trigger. Just RNG?

Comment

The way Tyrfing is implemented is that after an action is played (by any side), it removes any newly added effects on self if they have the "negative" tag. Shadow Pierce doesn't add anything, it modifies the player state directly, so Tyrfing can't catch it. Perhaps the description should be changed to reflect this, but the weapon itself is a bit of an experiment, and we're not sure it's going to make it in this form at release. (If we decide to remove it or change its effect radically, we'll refund its full price and remove it from everyone's inventories).

It has no interactions with Resilience, so it's just RNG. I've just checked it and Resilience triggered eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea (Developer) View Post
              (If we decide to remove it or change its effect radically, we'll refund its full price and remove it from everyone's inventories).
              Yikes. My Tyrfing Berserker was pretty much the reason I chose that account to buy the game with. I understand it was my choice on an in-flux game, and I'm okay with that--but would still be a bummer.

It has no interactions with Resilience, so it's just RNG. I've just checked it and Resilience triggered eventually.
              I had been using Resilience since it was maxed, but have moved away from it for that build in favor of the Level 1 Cruelty. Love me some Blood Baths, but I think this change is working better for me.
              Last edited by osoviejo; 04-30-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X