passive-play indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

passive-play indicator

I've seen this pop up a couple of times (once solo, and just now multi) in what appear to be inappropriate contexts.

For one, I was a bit surprised to see it at all in a solo game (for the same reason there's no move timer playing solo). Then, in the multiplayer game it appeared on the first turn--I took an action (after just a few seconds, if that), and I think it popped up at that point (I'm sorry, totally spaced getting a log--next time), then end-turn and it disappeared.

Any known issues with it?

Are you sure it showed up mid-turn? The code only enables it after you press end turn, if it detected passive play from both players during the last turn. It should never show up during a turn, so please send me a game log if it does that.

We'll probably disable passive play checks for solo games, since the AI never uses stalling tactics, so those games always end eventually. We should also only perform passive play checks after turn 6 or something like that, since before that it's not really a problem, and you may simply need to skip turns because you don't have enough AP to play anything meaningful.

Comment

Just happened again (multi, turn one). I grabbed a log and will send it along.

Comment

What I saw in the log was this:

1. You used the shield and ended the turn. This is passive play (see below).
        2. The bot attacked and all the damage was absorbed. It then ended the turn. This is also passive play.
        3. The passive play indicator appeared after the bot ended the turn, because the game detected two consecutive plys of passive play.

Did you see the indicator appear after an action, but before you pressed end turn? That would be a bug indeed.

Just using the shield, or using a weapon but not dealing any damage, is not enough to clear the passive play flag for a turn. Otherwise, two turtles could easily make the game last indefinitely by just activating the shield and pressing end turn. Something has to change in the game state to consider a turn as "active play":
        • Damage is dealt (directly, from a proc, from a DOT, from deck exhaustion, or any other reason).
        • A token is played. Obviously you can't play tokens indefinitely, and there's a deck exhaustion penalty, so the game will end eventually if one of the players keep using tokens.
        • An active trinket is used. They all have limited charges, so again, you can't do this ad infinitum to dodge the stalemate check.

The problem here is that during the first few turns, you may play passively because you don't have anything to do, and that shouldn't be penalised (or even reported). After the next patch, passive play will only be checked starting with turn 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea (Developer) View Post
          Did you see the indicator appear after an action, but before you pressed end turn? That would be a bug indeed.
          I just don't remember, but I'll look for this specifically. The matches with that character all start the same way (with the shield play) so if there's something amiss it'll show up again.

The problem here is that during the first few turns, you may play passively because you don't have anything to do, and that shouldn't be penalised (or even reported). After the next patch, passive play will only be checked starting with turn 10.
          Exactly. The shield play was the best option with only 1 AP (I don't take any damage, but opponent gets dinged with a little reflected).

I suppose there could also be circumstances even at or beyond turn 10 where (a bunch of) destroyed APs limit you to a passive play. But that's not a turn context that is likely to be repeated three times.

Comment

Working...
          X