Connection issue with servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection issue with servers

Ever since the new patch, I've been having some connection issues. Servers are timing out and I either can't get into a match or I can't finish a match (and lose rating, unfortunately).

How frequently does this happen? I'll review the logs to figure out what's happening, sorry for the problem.

Comment

No worries, it was happening more frequently yesterday, today I had it happen a few times when I first started up, but haven't had the issue for an hour now, things are running smoothly at this point!

Comment

I haven't experienced what is described here, but did just see something odd. The app has been open for a few minutes, but just idling (not playing) on the Online page. Looked at it a moment ago and saw a dialog complaining that the matchmaker had failed to make a connection (or something along those lines). Weird because I wasn't trying to get into a match.

Comment

"Lost connection to matchmaker, please try again" is the exact message I've been getting sporadically throughout the day. When I try again, I usually get the message "This player account is currently used in an online game."
          Last edited by Jibsea; 06-14-2017, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I'm getting this error too. I was going to play and the game told me I lost connection to the matchmaker, and when I tried again I got "This player account is currently used in an online game". I just had it go back to the first message (lost connection again).

Comment

Yeah, I've had this happen too. I think it's somewhat similar to what happened to me in another thread I opened in this sub-forum. When you go to connect, the server still sees you as trying to connect, which is why the subsequent connections say you're being used in a game. Luckily, unlike my scenario, when it's prefaced with the 'lost connection' error message, you don't lose any rank for it. Just wait a few seconds and you can usually connect just fine. It is something that should be looked into, but at least it isn't screwing with our rankings regularly.

Comment

It's a bug that has something to do with the keepalive messages that are being exchanged to check if one end of the connection hasn't gone away unceremoniously. Sometimes they aren't processed correctly, but it only seems to happen during matchmaking. I'm looking into the issue and I hope to be able to fix it today (I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, it's one of those things).

The account is locked for 30 seconds after the matchmaker finds an opponent. If none of the two players connect to the game session during this time, the session is discarded, the accounts are unlocked and nothing else happens. If one of the players connects, the other will lose rating when the session times out. Luckily, this hasn't happened yet; it's only happened for bot sessions, which are discarded if the human player doesn't connect before the timeout.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea (Developer) View Post
                  It's a bug that has something to do with the keepalive messages that are being exchanged to check if one end of the connection hasn't gone away unceremoniously. Sometimes they aren't processed correctly, but it only seems to happen during matchmaking. I'm looking into the issue and I hope to be able to fix it today (I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, it's one of those things).

The account is locked for 30 seconds after the matchmaker finds an opponent. If none of the two players connect to the game session during this time, the session is discarded, the accounts are unlocked and nothing else happens. If one of the players connects, the other will lose rating when the session times out. Luckily, this hasn't happened yet; it's only happened for bot sessions, which are discarded if the human player doesn't connect before the timeout.
                  I deal with keepalived fairly often at work. Is it a Linux system? I'm sure you can figure it out, like you said you're looking to replicate right now anyway. But if you get some logs I'd be happy to troubleshoot something I'm actually interested in!

Comment

The server keeps very detailed logs, and there's nothing in it about those disconnects. This points to it being a client-side problem (both the server and the client send keepalive messages). Unfortunately the client has way less logging around this part, so I will probably have to make a build and ask you to run that, if I can't reproduce the problem by myself. So far I've only seen it once in the office, and not on my computer, and not while I was debugging it. I'll keep looking into it and let you know if I need your help.

Comment

Sounds good. I'd be happy to assist! Let me know.

Comment

I found the bug, the problem should be fixed in 1.0.19.

The network layer on the client side now does a ton more logging, so if you run into similar issues in the future, please use Options -> Report Bug in the main menu. I've changed that button to write a log file just like its in-game counterpart, and I've also implemented osoviejo's suggestion of including the action log for the last game you've played. In case something fishy happened in a game but you didn't save the log before returning to the menu, now you have a second chance to do so.

Comment

I just got this twice in a row, so both games I've tried to play since the update (I wanted to see the changes first). Sending a bug report now.
                          Last edited by UDwarf; 06-21-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Oh, great, this is a different bug. Thank you for the report, I'll fix it for the next update. Luckily, I can work around this one by tweaking a server parameter, which I just did, so it should not happen anymore. Please let me know if it still does.

Comment

Well, I just successfully played a game against Gmorka (hi mirror match! Actually, Rune of Power is an interesting idea...), so it seems to be working.

Comment

Working...
                              X