No announcement yet.

Connection issue with servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. I seem to be having the same problem as the original post. Pretty much 4 out of 5 games get disconnected with a "Lost connection to server" message. About 1 out of 3 disconnect before starting the match. I took a look at the logs and it seems to disconnect on my end "[NETCHAN] No ping reply, server has been silent for 29.00 seconds. Disconnecting." I have broadband internet so I don't think the problem is the connection, as the disconnects seem to be pretty consistent day or night. Once I managed to get through 4 games without a lost connection, but that hasn't happened again.

Comment

Hi,

I've looked at the log you sent to the support email, and for some reason your client stops receiving data from the server at some point. I cross-referenced with the server logs, and it's very weird that other people can play just fine at the same time you get disconnected. Do you have a firewall or antivirus running? The only time I saw something like this happen before, the ISP of the user was filtering packets of a specific size, which caused connections to die when the server happened to send a message of that size.

Comment

I get disconnected also about 10% of the time. Just now I was disconnected before I even got to accept my starting tokens. It is very annoying to have my rating hurt by this! I was on a seven game win streak twice and winning both games only to be disconnected!! Suggestions: 1) disconnect before token accept should not count as a loss! 2) Disconnect when more than 40 hp ahead should not count as a loss! I am playing this on a tablet.

Comment

One fix for disconnects went live next week. The trickier thing to address is how the client handles reconnects, and that work is ongoing. As engineers like to say, it is "non-trivial." Right now, playing on a robust wifi network is the best protection against this.

Comment

I'm also an engineer and programmer. The game is Great btw! One option that may help easily with disconnects is to increase the timeout to 60 seconds. Some systems reduce ping responses in traffic and this would help. Another option would be to change the program to ignore the timeout from pings if the player has made an action within the last 30 or 60 seconds. Oh, it just happened to me again - 7 win streak and an opponent that should have been toast for my knight and I get disconnected in the 2nd turn. Please keep working on it! Best wishes and happy Hacking!

Comment

The problem isn’t ping timeouts. We already do the sensible thing there (reset the timer on any kind of activity etc.) What happens is that whenever there’s a change in the network configuration, the OS closes the socket used to communicate with the server, and there is no way to recover the connection after this. The only thing to do is to open a new connection and restore the game state on the client, which is not hard in theory, but requires quite a bit of work and attention to corner cases.

We were hoping the OS would handle this in a better way, since the whole point of TCP is to be resilient to transient problems, but unfortunately 3G is a big can of worms and the OS people decided not to bother and dump the whole thing on the app developers. Lots of things can change the network config (migrating between cells, 3G assists when the wifi signal drops etc.) and the OS just takes the easy way out and says that’s it, I don’t know how to recover, just reconnect (which works fine for HTTP and other such things with short-lived connections, not great for games).

We learned our lesson now, but it’s going to take a bit to have a correct solution (the previous fix was for an unrelated bug which crashed the server and disconnected everyone, without rating loss). We’re working on it. We apologize for the mess and thank you for your patience and support.

Comment

It seems much better now, and disconnects happen only about 1% of the time. I wish it would not penalize your ladder position based on a disconnect - perhaps allow 1 free disconnect per day without affecting ratings?

Comment

Working...
                X