Changing/Picking your class according to enemy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing/Picking your class according to enemy

I was thinking about this while ranking whereby certain builds were decent while others were quite rubbish depending on the enemy class/items that you end up having. What's your thoughts on having an option to choose your class before heading into battle? Is it possible to implement this or would it just upset everyone?

Reason for this I felt was pretty simple: personally, my witch build works great on most classes but with a pirate I feel like my crusader or assassin would do a much better job. And as you can't exactly guarantee finding the exact same player with the exact same items to even test this out on, you almost never really know for sure.

I'd love to know if my crusader or assassin would actually do any better but when I am playing them, the kind of player that plays a pirate like the one I faced as my witch never shows...and then I go and pick my witch again, a few matches down the road (not necessarily in the same gaming session, could be the next day for all I know), that particular pirate build shows up and the cycle repeats...

Something like that would have to be in a mode other than ranked ladder. Also, how would it work? If it's two live players, player A has a witch but sees player B has a Pirate, so A switches. Does B then get to switch?

Comment

Originally posted by David (Support) View Post
      Something like that would have to be in a mode other than ranked ladder. Also, how would it work? If it's two live players, player A has a witch but sees player B has a Pirate, so A switches. Does B then get to switch?
      But why not though? For ranked games I mean. And as for the switching, I think yes, both players have the chance to switch classes once before match starts. I'm sure just because my witch is rubbish against the pirates I've faced does not mean that all witch players feel the same (probably not since I'm still noob lol). But all in all, it works out like a draft match system maybe (?)

Comment

Wouldn't this open up the possibility of an infinite "switching game"? A + B matched up, A switched, B switched, A switched again, and so on...
        Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 21 May 2019)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

It's not really and issue when talking about a game that is predominantly luck. You could go down the do not match route. That might work as you don't really get a lot of human players anyway, so you would end up fighting the bots that you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post
            Wouldn't this open up the possibility of an infinite "switching game"? A + B matched up, A switched, B switched, A switched again, and so on...
            Nope. Like I said above, one switch only allowed per player.

Comment

Originally posted by TemptPlot View Post

Nope. Like I said above, one switch only allowed per player.
              Oops, missed that, sorry. Although if both players can change, then the first one to change will always be at a disadvantage, since second player can switch to a "better" build.
              Eternium Files - links and details (Updated: 21 May 2019)

Eternium Guides:

Comment

Originally posted by Nhat View Post

Oops, missed that, sorry. Although if both players can change, then the first one to change will always be at a disadvantage, since second player can switch to a "better" build.
                That's also subjective tho, isn't it? I won't say there are any outright "better" classes. I mean, while I personally don't have the confidence or the skills to counter a pirate as a witch, it's not like I've never won againt a pirate as a witch before, just luck and skills I guess. Meanwhile, there are proponents of berserker or crusader builds that would put the witch down but I personally do not have that kind of issue with my own witch. So all in all, it's all very subjective, but, by allowing this switch mechanism, it's a valuable option to those who may want it (you can choose not to switch as well, it's not compulsory lol).

Comment

I agree with Nhat, and that's why this sounds off to me.

Let's say we meet in ranked. I see your Witch and think, my Assassin will wreck that. I switch to Assassin.

You see my Assassin and think, my Berserker will wreck that. You switch to Berserker.

Now we're playing a match that neither of us had in mind.

Comment

I agree with Nhat, and that's why this sounds off to me.

Let's say we meet in ranked. I see your Witch and think, my Assassin will wreck that. I switch to Assassin.

You see my Assassin and think, my Berserker will wreck that. You switch to Berserker.

Now we're playing a match that neither of us had in mind.
                    That's why I corrected it in case I didn't get the control mechanism across. There should only be one switch per player to control for this.

Comment

I would rather have the ability to switch weapons or trinkets or shields. That way people would build up an inventory of them... to match or counter certain foe's equipment. Player A picks weapon, player B picks weapon and 1 trinket, A picks offhand and trinket, B picks rest, A picks last. It would be easy to randomize the picking number of items too for variation. (A picks 1, B picks 1 or 2, A picks 1 or 2, etc.) Think of the Danny Kaye movie where he fights as a knight and picks weapons... If players build up an inventory then they are either playing more or paying more ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jo Dfo View Post
                        I would rather have the ability to switch weapons or trinkets or shields. That way people would build up an inventory of them... to match or counter certain foe's equipment. Player A picks weapon, player B picks weapon and 1 trinket, A picks offhand and trinket, B picks rest, A picks last. It would be easy to randomize the picking number of items too for variation. (A picks 1, B picks 1 or 2, A picks 1 or 2, etc.) Think of the Danny Kaye movie where he fights as a knight and picks weapons... If players build up an inventory then they are either playing more or paying more ...
                        I like this idea as well, but I've a good feeling this might be far too complicated to implement in a short period of time. The idea I had, while not as good as yours, might be easier on the development team. But either way, if this can be done it'll be amazing. So sick and tired of being matched against an opponent that I know for a fact my other characters can beat except the one I'm holding on hand lol

Comment

Hmm, then people might start doing baits and switches. I could go to battle looking like a nerfherder berzerker, then swap out for a max build. Would people just use that to camouflage their intended build?

Sorry to be David Downer. I've deal with player ab-use of games for so long that it's hard not to think in those terms.

Comment

Hmm, then people might start doing baits and switches. I could go to battle looking like a nerfherder berzerker, then swap out for a max build. Would people just use that to camouflage their intended build?

Sorry to be David Downer. I've deal with player ab-use of games for so long that it's hard not to think in those terms.
                            You're not wrong to think that way David. But I think there could be some safety measures taken to a degree that would allow for a controlled environment for this implementation to take place. Like I mentioned prior, we can limit the change of class to only one per player so there won't be too many chances of abuse for example. Or if we were to do the suggestion that was posited by Jo, we can make similar limitations, like how draft picks work, one turn each per item slot, no more changes afterwards.

Comment

Personally, I don't see much value in this, with only 5 characters. Now, as character counts increase I like the concept. One way to implement something like this would be to pick a second. Both players could see each other's second character type as well and both get to choose either character for the match without knowing which of the two the opponent picks . No visibility to gear, but maybe see perks?

Comment

Working...
                              X