Can we time things like speed chess?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we time things like speed chess?

So you have a certain amount of time for the whole game. Because playing people is beginning to really annoy me. I mean, people take 2 minutes to complete their first turn when they have like 2 choices to make. And latter in the game I have enough time to do this entire post before my opponent did his first action. This isn't fun.

Also, while we are choosing tokens at the beginning can we examine the opponent's equipment? 1) Doing that at this stage is better than during first turn and 2) it would help in choosing tokens.
    Last edited by BAgate; 01-13-2018, 05:00 AM.

AFAIK, turn timers are going to be reduced. They are way too long now, even if someone doesn't know the item or token descrips.

As for something to do during opening hand selection, +1. I'm personally looking for specific tokens -- if it's not one of those tokens, I throw it back. It's a very quick process.

Comment

Hmm..
      Any way it could be based on inactive time only/partly? I've run out of time a few times (lost a game once as a result) not from playing slowly but from having too much to do!
      It gets a bit hectic playing 20 witch tokens, counting ap up and down, checking what the opponent's holding, and keeping track of life totals, all in one turn.

Comment

That's why I recommend the speed chess system. Give a certain amount of time for the entire game and let the player divide it among his turns as he sees fit.

Comment

Ah, I see! Nice.

Comment

Unfortunately implementing a time limit for the entire game would require fairly big changes that we can't do at the moment. It also doesn't really take care of people who take a million years to play a hand, or are AFK.

Starting with the next patch, the turn time will be reduced to 70 seconds. If someone's turn expires and no actions were played, their time for the next turn is reduced to 30 seconds. If it expires again, it's reduced to 10 seconds. If 5 consecutive turns expire without any actions played, the opponent wins the game. The system doesn't kick in if you simply run out of time while playing, it only applies when you don't play anything. If the shortened interval is in effect and you do play something (even pressing end turn explicitly counts, just to show you're there), starting with the next turn you're back to normal.

70 seconds may be a bit short for builds which play lots of tokens, or need complex calculations, but we'll have to see. The current average turn time is 30 seconds across all games, so we think 70 should be plenty in most cases.

How does it sound?

PS: we'll make the heal animation shorter, so that Regenerate doesn't get in the way so much.

Comment

How about rather than a fixed time limit you have something shorter, say 30 seconds, but then every time you do something you get an extra 5 seconds? That way you don't have to wait forever, but people playing long combos don't run out of time.

Also, when does the clock start running? Because there have been times when I've had 8 DoT triggers to deal with, and that takes time.

And btw, how big is the click area for the end of turn button? There have been several times where I thought I clicked it only to realize 30 secs latter it didn't register.

Comment

70 is good. 5 consecutive turns is generous to the afk player. One game I junked out on recently did 80 seconds per turn, go afk for a turn, timer drops to 20 seconds, go afk for that 20 seconds, you lose. That was fine. No slow playing. If someone wants to slowplay in your proposed system, they can let 4 quick turns go by, click end on the 5th, reset to normal and repeat. There are always some jerk players unfortunately, so limiting their means to game the timer is important imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post
                  How about rather than a fixed time limit you have something shorter, say 30 seconds, but then every time you do something you get an extra 5 seconds? That way you don't have to wait forever, but people playing long combos don't run out of time.

Also, when does the clock start running? Because there have been times when I've had 8 DoT triggers to deal with, and that takes time.

And btw, how big is the click area for the end of turn button? There have been several times where I thought I clicked it only to realize 30 secs latter it didn't register.
                  I agree. It could be larger. And I didn't even realize that dial was animating for a long time. Someone in Discord had the same observation, didn't know it until it was pointed out. I really like the subtlety and art of the interface, but that could be more apparent.

Comment

Well, while you're on it, is there any way that you can make it play tokens/end turn before animations resolve or that would require big change? When I want to play 4 tokens, I would like to play them regardless on which point it is animation-wise instead of having to play each token after the animation of the previous just like in other card games.

Comment

Working...
                    X