Share your f*cked up battle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your f*cked up battle

I'll start with mine. Arena using Mastery Assassin against zerker. I spend all my possible stealth source token plus trinket charges trying to trigger +1 mastery effect.

Until 7 token left, none triggered.

I was struggling with basic weapon damage, 60-ish life, and got smashed by berserker rage.

Curse the RNG god !!
    Last edited by Sigrid; 10-13-2018, 05:56 PM.

I want to share some good ones but so many of them are melting together in my memory. I guess I can't remember specific ones that are really worth telling the full tale. But I can say that recently I've been down around 100 health in a ranked battle with a bot and I managed to even it up in time to win. And of course the opposite has happened, though much less often. There have been those brutal times when the battle was seeming pretty well matched, then suddenly the opponent put on an 80-90 point lead.

One way I have personally been really lucky lately is on my Berserker with the Reinforcement token: sometimes all three of its 30% chances have proc'ed in a row. It's happened several times in the past few days and usually wins the match for me when it does. The chance of two 30% chances in a row should be 9%, and three of them in a row should only happen on average 2.7% of the time. That's around a 1-in-37 chance so I got pretty lucky repeatedly.

A lot of players of all different kinds of games mistakenly think that finite series of random numbers tend to smoothly fill in the range that they are chosen from -- that they show an even probability distribution over time. And that is actually not true at all unless you have infinite time to wait and measure. In any finite, ordinary span of time you just can't predict the output of a true RNG whatsoever, no matter what kind of series or trend it seems to be on up to the moment. The next roll is literally unpredictable, with equal likelihood of every possible roll, with no connection to what has gone before. For more on that topic, check out the wikipedia article on The Gambler's Fallacy.
    Last edited by Fnord; 10-14-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

This is definitely a good game to teach the gambler's fallacy. You definetly remember the extremes: your opponent parrying 9 of 12 attacks with only a 25% parry chance, or the game I played last night, I critical hit 7 times out of 11 with only 35% crit chance. I try to always review the quick summary to see how both players critical chance compared to their actual performance. I think I've played enough that I can see the average is about right in the long run.

Back to the original post question, my two dumbest things I've done:
      Staying in stealth against foe hammer witch for a very quick loss.
      Accidently play Preparation token before a quick strike instead of after with only 6 AP available.

Comment

Fnord , I know that RNG does not work on normal distribution, but still when everything i do/draw seems on the bad side it feels like i want bash my head on the phone. In my above case i stubbornly continue after 6-7 attempts to attack without breaking stealth, hoping somehow i can catching up.

Should have given up and try another battle.

Earlomorton , i have fat finger and playing exclusively on phone, so misplaying card does happen from time to time. At least it was me and not the cursed RNG gods lol.

Feel better after the rants, but for the last 3 days my win rate on arena suffers greatly. Does me climbing higher on ladder have any effects on arena bot?

Comment

According to the in game tips, Arena isn't affected by ladder ranking in anyway. If you're having trouble with the RNG, try a build that doesn't count on it as much. Mastery or Resilient Crusader are first to mind that aren't as big on RNG. Also if it's your first season, who cares about win/loss? It'll reset Nov 1. No risk of gold loss in ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by Earlomorton View Post
            According to the in game tips, Arena isn't affected by ladder ranking in anyway. If you're having trouble with the RNG, try a build that doesn't count on it as much. Mastery or Resilient Crusader are first to mind that aren't as big on RNG. Also if it's your first season, who cares about win/loss? It'll reset Nov 1. No risk of gold loss in ladder.
            Well to buy items i need the gold. And though the game tips says arena matchmaking didn't affected by ladder i feel that the bots are of higher level.

That, or RNG screwing me left and right lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Sigrid View Post
              Well to buy items i need the gold. And though the game tips says arena matchmaking didn't affected by ladder i feel that the bots are of higher level.

That, or RNG screwing me left and right lol.
              RNG giveth and RNG taketh. It taketh a lot of patience most of all.

Comment

Originally posted by David (Support) View Post

RNG giveth and RNG taketh. It taketh a lot of patience most of all.
                Speaking of patience, I'm getting fewer match on Arena 500, 1000, and 2000 gold ticket. Is it by design or just me (again) ? Looking at swirling compass too long made me dizzy.

Comment

After reaching 3k points to legend, my arena games have been miserable to say the least. Had a great run with Cruelty Assassin for the longest time prior to reaching legend rank. But now, for every 4-5 losses, I win 1.

RNG gods be damned indeed :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sigrid View Post
                    Speaking of patience, I'm getting fewer match on Arena 500, 1000, and 2000 gold ticket. Is it by design or just me (again) ? Looking at swirling compass too long made me dizzy.
                    Only 200 ticket arena has bots. So if no one is playing the higher tickets, you won't get a game.

Comment

Working...
                    X