Ironbound

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beautiful match! Endless Infinity! (aka the SOSC complaint thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see this often in competitive games, a person who refuses to use any build someone else has discovered. These people often rationalize their decision by convincing themselves that it's "cheap" and "too easy to win". These same people, upon discovering a powerful "unique" build of their own, suddenly aren't constrained by their twisted moral sense of fair competition and will allow their pride from discovery to carry them as far as the build will take them. The fact is, that once strong builds are found, a metagame around them is created at the top of ladders. Many people find this metagame distasteful because it can be so different from the game they are used to, some dislike learning something new, others fear true competition. My point is that no game will ever be truly fair, that is why there are winners and losers; because to have a winner is to say someone had an advantage. Some games are determined by genetic RNG: wingspan in swimming, height for basketball, etc. But I don't see basketball players cutting their legs off to make games "more fair" for their competition. I admit, metagames can become stagnant if one build is all everything revolves around, but SoSC is far from that. I have never used the shard, nor have I bought it, but I wouldn't ever completely write off a build purely because it has shown results; that would be pure foolishness

Comment

Originally posted by Trakzzzz View Post
      I see this often in competitive games, a person who refuses to use any build someone else has discovered. These people often rationalize their decision by convincing themselves that it's "cheap" and "too easy to win". These same people, upon discovering a powerful "unique" build of their own, suddenly aren't constrained by their twisted moral sense of fair competition and will allow their pride from discovery to carry them as far as the build will take them. The fact is, that once strong builds are found, a metagame around them is created at the top of ladders. Many people find this metagame distasteful because it can be so different from the game they are used to, some dislike learning something new, others fear true competition. My point is that no game will ever be truly fair, that is why there are winners and losers; because to have a winner is to say someone had an advantage. Some games are determined by genetic RNG: wingspan in swimming, height for basketball, etc. But I don't see basketball players cutting their legs off to make games "more fair" for their competition. I admit, metagames can become stagnant if one build is all everything revolves around, but SoSC is far from that. I have never used the shard, nor have I bought it, but I wouldn't ever completely write off a build purely because it has shown results; that would be pure foolishness
      What you do see in competitive sport, emphasis on competitive, is the rules being adjusted constantly to keep things competitive. F1, WRC, Touring Cars, Moto GP, World Superbikes etc etc etc, are prime examples, if someone creates something that practically bends the laws of physics then it is removed. The same goes for performance enhancing drugs. Or bionic enhancements. This list could go on forever. My point is that SoSC twined with these ridiculous healing items take the competition and more importantly, skill out of it. This is predominantly a luck based game, so you're always going to get similar builds at the top. That is fine and all part of the fun, in fact that is a great way of equalizing players.

so whilst these builds exist, I will forever look down on the people that use them and continue to think of them as the snowflakes of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by RAFERS102 View Post

What you do see in competitive sport, emphasis on competitive, is the rules being adjusted constantly to keep things competitive. F1, WRC, Touring Cars, Moto GP, World Superbikes etc etc etc, are prime examples, if someone creates something that practically bends the laws of physics then it is removed. The same goes for performance enhancing drugs. Or bionic enhancements. This list could go on forever. My point is that SoSC twined with these ridiculous healing items take the competition and more importantly, skill out of it. This is predominantly a luck based game, so you're always going to get similar builds at the top. That is fine and all part of the fun, in fact that is a great way of equalizing players.

so whilst these builds exist, I will forever look down on the people that use them and continue to think of them as the snowflakes of the world.
        It's ironic that you call them snowflakes when they are using cookie cutter builds, yet you are trying to find your own unique build. Wouldn't that make you the snowflake? Has snowflake lost its meaning? Last I checked it is used to refer to someone that is desperately trying to be unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Trakzzzz View Post

It's ironic that you call them snowflakes when they are using cookie cutter builds, yet you are trying to find your own unique build. Wouldn't that make you the snowflake? Has snowflake lost its meaning? Last I checked it is used to refer to someone that is desperately trying to be unique.
          This is all OT...but:
          I think use in US at least has evolved some. Your meaning is still valid, as is 'someone who can't take criticism, challenge, or loss'. Which matches how those ''desperately trying to be unique" have historically settled into completely conforming with cookie cutter identities and subcultures and end up being not very unique at all and accepting no challenging thoughts or deviations from the selected identities 'truths'. See NPC meme.

If I read Rafers epithet right, it's that these players want easy no thought wins and aren't willing to take a risk on a build that may require skill.
          Last edited by Earlomorton; 01-07-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Earlomorton , spot on completely. My version of snowflake are those that want an easy ride, offend easily, quiver at the thought of a fight and generally bore the living tears out of me.

Comment

I get the issue with just dumping tokens not being much of a strategy. What you do with the tokens that come back into hand is an issue. The next patch is a balancing patch and SOSC will get another pass. It's synergy with wanderer items and changing the meta of token totals is just too much right now.

Comment

Originally posted by David (Support) View Post

Black Pearl does not swap a token where there is none to swap.

And wait for the next class to come out.
                Are you talking about the pirate? (this comment was back in time a little)

Comment

SOSC should never even have been imagined. It is a failure in development to allow/create an item which nullifies the original basis of the game, itself. Fast paced,1-on-1, 30-card, intrinsic duels, using wit, creativity, and strategy. Extra tokens should exist in only one facet of engagement, caused by 3 separate instances, as was originally imagined. Those instances are copy, item effect causing token gain, and resilience. That's the limit, and should remain so. "Shard of Second Chance"? More like "Vomit mindlessness and inefficiency shard". If they decide to keep this trump/chump trinket, then they must change thre name and description of the entire game: "Pillowbound: The cardless card game, with limited infinite cards."
                  Let go, your pride. Admit the mistake and repair the rift. Pulling a cornerstone from your foundation will find your building destroyed.
                  Scrap this item, dont "reimagine" something that should never have been allowed.
                  Since todays start of season 4, ive only had time for 6 matches. ALL of which, thats 100%, 6 of 6; I faced an opponent wielding... Thats right, the "why do they even tell me how many cards/tokens I have in this game" trinket.
                  S-C-R-A-P I-T.
                  I promise, the people who truly enjoy what this game was supposed to be, will forgive you, devs.
                  Last edited by W4RNPE4CE; 01-09-2019, 12:57 AM.
                  What is peace, without war?

Comment

This is the problem that I'm sure many fans foresaw, with the implementation of the Shard of Second Chance. It has now, basically become a permanent trinket unto the game. Every other battle is against a player wielding this item. If not nearly every battle. All the way down in the 1100's. Meaning newbies are also seeing it's prevalence; and its negation of a player's deck count. Everyone is using it, essentially rendering only one trinket socket from here on out. As well as making a "token deck" completely obsolete. And most of all, destroying what the game was.
                    I won't walk away, I can't walk away. But I also can't continue trudging through a superfluous oxymoron, without voicing my discontent.
                    Am I alone in this?
                    Someone sound off, here. Someone has to back me up on this...*crickets*?
                    What is peace, without war?

Comment

Actually, I enjoy playing the game with Sosc. I used to enjoy golden khopesh till it was nerfed. Have the developers considered allowing no rank up or down if you are 100 past the bot ? In that way folks above 3200 would be playing other people for their scores. They could still play bots for gold...
                      Rather than nerf Sosc again, I would rather see weapons that counter it! How about a weapon where the crit dot was equal 13 minus the number of cards in the opponent's hand and that stacked and was a guarantee crit hit for each time the opponent ran out of cards? It could have a low regular damage and 0 regular crit chance. Another idea is an offhand weapon that stacks 50 % enemy heals as damage till used for a zerker. Think of that with overpower. Another idea is a weapon that gains one damage for each token the enemy plays for a witch. It could be dispelled but the primary Sosc users have no dispel. Another idea is a shield that gains one non dispellable defense for each time your enemy runs out of tokens! I'm sure the other players can come up with more and better ideas!

Comment

If the idea expressed earlier of having a second or third weapon in your pack to use is allowed then people will save $ for these Sosc killers.

Comment

Totally agree with you, however I think the devs are going to nerf SoSC in the next update. At the moment, that + healing items = a zero skill setup.

Comment

Who changed the title of this thread?...hah!

Comment

I collapsed most of the SOSC threads into one. No need for them to proliferate.

Yes, the developers have been testing some ideas, and letting play testers chime in. Not sure what the current idea is or where they will land, but something will happen with it.

Comment

My vote would be to go with charges, or completely rework it but keep the name and icon. Maybe resurrect with ten Hp and remove all effects in play. Or something crazy, skip back to start of last turn once per game.

Comment

Working...
                                X