Calling all fellow gamers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all fellow gamers!

There are no threads in here, so I figured 'why not?' The one thing we all definitively know about one another is that we have something of an affinity for games, so I thought I'd ask about that! What type of games do you have a predilection for? Did anyone catch E3 these last couple weeks - anything you're excited for? What are your favorite games and why? etc.

I grew up on RPGs. I was around 6 or 7 years old, and before school I would play Shining Force 2 for Sega Genesis on the living room floor. One of my favorite movies when I was a kid was Neverending Story, and I named the main character Atreyu based on the hero of the story. The name has, obviously, stuck ever since. Eventually I started spelling it a little differently so that people wouldn't automatically assume it was named after a band by the same name that I never liked much. Anyway, games like Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Pokemon raised me. Somehow I found a group of friends who simultaneously liked video games and skateboarding... and Dungeons & Dragons - a somewhat unlikely combination heh. My love for the fantasy genre grew even more over tabletop.

A buddy and I saw a trailer for a game called Monster Hunter coming out for PS2, on G4 - a video game channel that I'm actually not sure still exists, and thought it looked amazing. It was dragons and swords and awesomeness. He picked it up one day and we became obsessed. It was centered around the idea of fighting wyverns and making weapons and armors out of them, and the best part was it got to be very difficult. We still play the latest games that come out in the franchise, despite the fact that it's become relatively easier over time. The original Monster Hunter was the first game I played online on a console. I don't know if anyone remembers, but it wasn't the easiest thing to do on a PS2 heh. My friends and I also played Smash Bros. from the beginning and have kept up with that as well. I'd love to play anyone here in an online match!

In the last few years I've become a huge fan of Borderlands as well; I was never a big fan of shooters but having the RPG aspect got me interested and the humor kept me there. I've since played and beaten all of the iterations of Borderlands and its side games. This was my gateway game into Destiny - another shooter with RPG-like aspects. I love the PvP (Crucible), which is something I never thought I'd say about a shooter. I still hop on Destiny when I find the time. I'm currently a Sr. Cyber Security Engineer and I work 11 hour shifts, 4 days a week. So during my work week it's difficult to find time to do anything more than work, eat and sleep - and the latter is a very difficult thing for me to get much of. >_<

My girlfriend and I have been playing through Borderlands 2, Diablo 3, and the newest Pokemon and Monster Hunter games together on our lazy days. The most recent few games I've played, not including Ironbound or those I've already mentioned are Horizon Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy XV, and Mortal Kombat on PS4, as well as Final Fantasy X Remastered on Vita. From the E3 reveals, I'm most excited about Destiny 2, Monster Hunter Worlds, and a game called Anthem, which just looks really cool. Check them out if you haven't!

I'd be really interested to hear what you guys are interested in and maybe a bit of history too if you want. You don't have to write as much as I did, I just think it might be cool to get to know one another a bit more than just 'the guy who came up with the shield build', y'know? It'd be a good first use of the 'Off-topic' section.
    Last edited by Atraeyu; 06-22-2017, 09:24 PM. Reason: Removing stuff

Cool, another Dungeons and Dragonser. I've personally played Neverwinter Nights for many years for roleplaying. It's a pretty old game, but there's nothing that offers anything similar in this day and age.

Wouldn't know where to start on my gaming history unfortunately. I've played most games. I prefer playing hardcore if I'm in any Diablo game, I like intellectual challenges.

Anyway, it was a fun read! Nice to meet you.

Comment

Originally posted by Vastain View Post
      Cool, another Dungeons and Dragonser. I've personally played Neverwinter Nights for many years for roleplaying. It's a pretty old game, but there's nothing that offers anything similar in this day and age.

Wouldn't know where to start on my gaming history unfortunately. I've played most games. I prefer playing hardcore if I'm in any Diablo game, I like intellectual challenges.

Anyway, it was a fun read! Nice to meet you.
      Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Neverwinter Nights was great, I spent a lot of time on those games. Temple of Elemental Evil is a fantastic PC game if you're looking for another game that has a ton of D&D mechanics - classes, spells, feats, skills, etc. all right out of 3rd edition. A little dated now, but it's a lot of fun and high-end graphics isn't really what you're looking for in titles like those anyway. I really need to find that game heh.

Comment

I enjoyed the NWN games as well - both the original and the second. I'm probably dating myself a bit here, but did either of you play Baldur's Gate? Those were some great early D&D games, the writing was fantastic!

Wizardry 8 is another classic that I've enjoyed that has a lot of depth, despite its age.

Great introduction Atraeyu! This is shaping up to be a great community!

Comment

Thanks man. You're most certainly a huge part of said community.

Definitely played Baldur's Gate! Another great D&D game. I think I played em all lol, at least from back in the day. If you liked that game you really need to check out the game I mentioned as well. A lot of similarities between the two. Wizardry 8 is a new one to me though.

Did you ever play the Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance series? They were on PS2, and actually pretty good, but I don't think they were as popular as the original Baldur's Gate games on PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Atraeyu View Post
            Thanks man. You're most certainly a huge part of said community.

Definitely played Baldur's Gate! Another great D&D game. I think I played em all lol, at least from back in the day. If you liked that game you really need to check out the game I mentioned as well. A lot of similarities between the two. Wizardry 8 is a new one to me though.

Did you ever play the Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance series? They were on PS2, and actually pretty good, but I don't think they were as popular as the original Baldur's Gate games on PC.
            I never played the PS2 version, I was never into consoles much growing up, most of the games I played were on PCs. I probably missed a huge amount of awesome games because of that, too. I'll definitely check out some of the games you mentioned in your earlier post though.

Comment

Hey everyone. Figured I'd just throw a hello in here since it's still a pretty empty section and I don't want to make a thread just to say I'm back. :P Most won't care but to a few people I kind of just disappeared. It's only been about a month but I basically came back to some PMs asking if I had died lol, and it's dumb but I do actually feel kinda bad about it. I won't get into anything, but life kinda just hit in the way it does sometimes y'know? But all is well. Anyway, Jibsea, Mihnea, UDwarf, osoviejo, Vastain - hope you guys are still around and doing great. I do see the message boards and all of it's features seem to have been updated, but what about the gameplay? Who feels like getting me caught up?

Huh... 2 weeks later and pretty much no other posts on the forum.. Guess we've died a little. :/
              Last edited by Atraeyu; 08-08-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Hi guys. So I think you're all amazing. Old D&D'er myself. Got my rpg fix for many many years from NWN also strangely. A server called Amia. Lot of fun. But now I just scratch fun out of Android based games. I hope this one is amazing because I really miss social interactions. A lot. It was my fav part of dnd.

Comment

Originally posted by Coreychops View Post
                  Hi guys. So I think you're all amazing. Old D&D'er myself. Got my rpg fix for many many years from NWN also strangely. A server called Amia. Lot of fun. But now I just scratch fun out of Android based games. I hope this one is amazing because I really miss social interactions. A lot. It was my fav part of dnd.
                  My D&D days go back to elementary school when "playing D&D" meant reading the rulebooks and expansions and concocting character sheets for outrageously overpowered characters. I loved the old Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale pc D&D games.

Because we have a small child, it's hard to find time for in-person gaming. I had actually joined a friend's D&D campaign but had to drop out due to lack of time. I just reorganized my boardgame closet today, but mostly satisfy myself with online gaming, Ironbound included. Now if I could find a decent witch build, I'd be happy.

Comment

Gen Con is coming up in a few weeks, August 2-5, 4 days of non stop gaming in downtown Indiana. Board games, card games, RPG, dungeon crawl, virtual reality, advanced look and playtime of new games and kick starter games not out yet plus a whole lot more.
                    Anyone else been to it before or going this year?
                    Discord MikesReaper
                    Eternium
                    Reaper (Arcanist) Mage
                    Reaper (XP-Apprentice) Mage
                    Reaper (DPS-Apprentice) Mage
                    Reaper (Assault) Bounty Hunter
                    Reaper (Stalker) Bounty Hunter
                    Android Tablet CL1232
                    Ironbound Reaper
                    MODE VIHE QURO 3912.

Comment

Atraeyu -> nice topic. Curiously I had done a strikingly similar one on the Eternium forum, so you can read my "gaming bio" over there:
                      https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/et...computer-games

Comment

Originally posted by MikesReaper View Post
                        Gen Con is coming up in a few weeks, August 2-5, 4 days of non stop gaming in downtown Indiana. Board games, card games, RPG, dungeon crawl, virtual reality, advanced look and playtime of new games and kick starter games not out yet plus a whole lot more.
                        Anyone else been to it before or going this year?
                        My board gaming friends love it.

Comment

A suggestion to make Ironbound a little more challenging and more fun and hopefully keep people playing it much longer: Allow the characters to pick their gear after they are assigned a foe. Player 1 picks Main hand, Player 2 picks Main and Off hand, Player 1 picks Off and trinket 1, Player 2 picks both trinkets, Player 1 picks trinket 2. This would force players to learn other builds and buy or build good counter-builds (and maybe counter-counters.) It would also significantly increase the amount of items each player would desire to have. Timers could be used until default picks were used to keep things fast paced.
                          ​​​​​

Comment

Good ole days of smashing goblins and singing about it at the campfire later that night. My first rpg was the first Final Fantasy. Been hooked on the genre ever since. Started D&D in my teens with a few friends around the same time I started playing Starcraft and Diablo2. I'm not as hardcore as I used to be and I sort of miss those days, but it's always nice talking with fellow gamers.

Comment

Working...
                            X