This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competitive builds and strategy

Greetings fellow players. As a newbie mostly new to the game, I am trying to make a list of builds we play. I felt the need when I tried to setup some items when I realized I had very shallow infos. Help would be greatful!

I go by the nickname Silverstar in game and with the new season coming up we all have new opportuinity to create new builds.

I'll start with the build I use for ranked games

Berzerker-Longclaw blade

Two handed: Longclaw blade

Trinkets: Studded leather glove, colossus grip

Perk: Mastery

Specialty: Burst dmg, survival

The trick is withering down the enemy with attacks, using SLG and colossus grip as many times as possible. Basic combo would be, (quick strike, reinforce)+SLG+atk,grip,atk+(chain strike)

Since longclaw gives you a second chance, the build is able to use its mastery fully and gets tons of health. While the build has excellent ability to deal dmg over turns, it also has the ability to deal huge amounts in a single turn. Berzerker rage in tandem with battle plan is a solid victory plan, but most of the times, the combination of chain strike and reinforce is enough thanks to mastery.

Since it used a two handed weapon it also uses overpower and bloodbath and the likes too.

Because the build revolves around two handed weapon, and with SLG trinket zerker gains 35% parry chance, not bad at all. It can go into turtle mode if the need is there, so working your early game defensively is effective sometimes

Its weakness is well, parry witches of course. This should be pretty self explanatory. The trick getting around them is thinking twice before you activate enrage, since berzerker basically has 110+hp in enraged state. Also, disarming at critical instances should be pretty useful. Longclaw builds are solid competitive builds for berzerkers out there
    Last edited by Silverstar97; 02-06-2019, 03:31 PM. Reason: Added turtling!

Another build I saw during my climb of ladder was Atlantean Sword build

Berzerker-Atlantean Sword

Two handed: Atlantean Sword

Trinkets: Colossus grip, (Brutal Assault Armband, Medals of Cruelty)

Specialty: Dmg

While in my eyes it is inferior to the Longclaw build, I still think its a solid build to go around. As Atlantean Sword has brutal dmg, it is also very scary. The only reason I think that is is inferior to longclaw build is its AP cost. 3AP cost does make it harder to connect combos. It works basically the same way Longclaw works. Hacking away at the enemy with everything you got.

However, Berzerkers does have fragile bodies. So in a nutshell, this build is similar to the Longclaw build with more powerful attacks while sacrificing a bit of longetivity.

Comment

One of the most commonly seen builds of ranked games, you cannot neglect Toth crusaders

Crusader-Scepter of Toth

Main weapon: Scepter of Toth

Shield: Wyrm scale, Praetorian Scutum, Sol invictus

Trinkets: Spirit Wolf Pelt, (Protector Armband, Medal of Resilience, Martyr cape)

Perk: Cruelty

Specialty: Healing, AP burn, Explosive dmg

As I said above, I think it is one of the most commonly seen builds in ladder, and with the correct moves it can heal over hundreds in a game easily. Also, the Toth builds has lots of variables, making it more annoying.

The Wyrm scale build uses its WS proc to deal additional dmg, and relies on critical strike. The build is RNG based, so while it is painful for people to play against it, it also can be painful to play it. The basic combo is simple. Defender, Blessing, Beacon of light to increase defense and use it in tandem with Mighty blow, Shield slam to rack up dmg. Crusade is saders ultimate, racking up huge amounts of dmg and defense in one turn.

Wyrm scale build uses several trinkets, all having its use against people. Spirit Wolf Pelt goes pretty much everywhere,and in tandem with Protector Armband and Cruelty perk it has high critical hit rate and allows sader to slowly gain momentum. However, Medal of Resilience gives it instant boost making the early game much easier for saders.

The Praetorian Scutum build uses its high defense, crit rate and main hand dmg and its trinkets to instantly deal 20+dmg with only a crit hit. For example, Toth, Scutum, SWP and medal of resilience will allow saders to start with 10 main hand dmg, 11 defense so a crit is all that is needed to deal 20+ dmg, activating Toth

Sol invictus seems a solid choice for me, while it does meet 10dmg and 10 def, it also has the dispell ability that sader desperately needs

I have been testing the martyr cape build and it basically works the same way as usual toth builds work, but instead of healing tons over time, it focuses on the usage of last stand. All combos must be used in last stand to use the effects fully and it requires wyrm scale to activate toth. rest is all the same as others.

All types of Toth builds are built on healing, if you dont know how to play around them it can be frustrating.

Playing around Toth players vary according to their playstyle, but the basic is if you are a great one-shot dealer stall them out as much as possible. For example, Assassins have easy time playing around them while stacking buffs and dealing one time dmg, while using steal disarm and other utilities to frustrate crusaders.

When facing wyrm scale builds, try not to hit the shield when the enemy uses defense boosting tokens. It gives the enemy a chance to heal for a BIG amount. instead, using the fact the saders have no dispell, rack up dmg buffs or heal, etc. Parry or raise shield if you can,

If the user uses Protector Armband, dispell it when it stacks up to a point a single crit allowes sader to heal.

Against other archetypes its basically same. except you will require a lot of continues dmg as well as burst dmg.

I for one has nearly 95% win rate against them with the Longclaw zerker mentioned above. I also believe Burst sins and parry witches excel against toth saders.

Edit: While playing today I saw an interesting build using Toth, Lionheart Shield, Radiant relic and Draconian shield. While it gives up RNG based dmg and longevity, it covers its cons with racking up huge amounts of defense in last stand, use might blow in tandem with draconian seal, then nuke the enemy with toth and radiant relic. While its playstyle lacks healing over time, it has enormous burst that can be extremely dangerous.
      Last edited by Silverstar97; 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM. Reason: Updated 02-06 due to seeing interesting toth build and martyr cape build

Comment

I only have one build so far this season, but it's amazing! A bit expensive, though. You don't see it much, so the matchup isn't widely known!

Crusader

Main weapon-durendal

shield-crusader pavise

trinkets-radiant relic, chaos crystal (spirit wolf fangs)

perk: mastery

specialty: healing, burst damage

This build has served me well, even got me to legend for the first time, despite the fact I've been playing nearly 2 years atleast. You cycle tokens until you get a good hand (defense and attack buffs, healing tokens) and then drop to last stand. From there, you apply the buffs and play 2 or 3 healing tokens, whatever you have ap and missing health for. One of my favorite strategies is to boost my defense as hi as I can, then play mighty blow, but not attack. The boost in attack from mighty blow will be added to all future heals! With the chaos crystal build, you can usually have enough healing tokens by only drawing 1 or 2, if you make the most of them. With the fangs, however, you REALLY have to be careful. You only get what you draw. This build can beat parry witches almost every time, has about a 50% win rate vs pirates, and toth just comes down to luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstar97 View Post
          Berzerker-Longclaw blade

Two handed: Longclaw blade

Trinkets: Studded leather glove, colossus grip

I've been using Longclaw for the past two seasons very extensively. I prefer Vampiric Shard over SLG for the additional healing to effectively give you over 300 HP in most matches.

You should try to only use Colossus Grip after you are enraged to maximize Mastery chances. If you are going to heal while enraged, do it on the second hit so that both have a chance for Mastery.

Comment

The other build that I have been playing this season is a very aggressive pirate build that was popular when pirate was released.

Aggro Parrot Pirate

Main Hand: Duelist Saber

Off Hand: Blackbeard's Blunderbuss

Trinkets: Very Expensive Parrot, Medal of Cruelty III

This build lost some power with the nerf to Blackbeard's Blunderbuss, but it still can output a lot of damage very quickly.

The playstyle is to mulligan for your cheap spells like Quick Strike, All Guns Blazing and Pillager and just attack multiple times each turn. Since your weapons will use 5-7 AP just swinging, there is not much leftover for other tokens until you have 8-9 AP, and your hand tends to be full by that point. The build reliant is on RNG for critical hits on your gun (25%) to ready your main hand so games can be quite swingy.

Your most valuable tool is your Very Expensive Parrot, use it wisely! Along with Explosive Bullets you have 3 disarms that can lock out the opponent while you pile on more damage to close out matches vs defensive playstyles. I usually only use it once I am at 10 AP since that lets you parrot and still get 3 weapon hits in. Note that vs. parry builds, using parrot disables parry for the current turn and on the next turn, giving you a window to really blast them down.

Comment

On the BBB Pirate build, I use Resilience perk. I find I get about the same extra damage, +3 every other turn or so depending on the opponents build, and it is nice to reduce gun cost when drunk to squeeze in extra attacks when deploying VEP...but Mastery is a good choice and it probably comes down to personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by RollingCode View Post

I've been using Longclaw for the past two seasons very extensively. I prefer Vampiric Shard over SLG for the additional healing to effectively give you over 300 HP in most matches.

You should try to only use Colossus Grip after you are enraged to maximize Mastery chances. If you are going to heal while enraged, do it on the second hit so that both have a chance for Mastery.
                I should try out the vamperic shard.. and the reason i use trinkets before enrage..is well if i save them up purely for enrage i always end up leaving one or two usage, so i just spend it in the early game. Well, it all depends on matchup

Comment

I should try out the vamperic shard.. and the reason i use trinkets before enrage..is well if i save them up purely for enrage i always end up leaving one or two usage, so i just spend it in the early game. Well, it all depends on matchup
                  That's a good item, but very much about timing. I've seen it paired with things like the blood sucker two handed weapon to double down on healing.

Comment

Originally posted by Earlomorton View Post
                    On the BBB Pirate build, I use Resilience perk. I find I get about the same extra damage, +3 every other turn or so depending on the opponents build, and it is nice to reduce gun cost when drunk to squeeze in extra attacks when deploying VEP...but Mastery is a good choice and it probably comes down to personal preference.
                    That's a good point, I was using Mastery to squeeze out the few extra points of damage from the rum swigs, but I will give Resilience a try. The extra AGB tokens would probably result in similar damage output, but the AP benefits feel like they may be worth more in the late game. The only issue I can think of is that you tend to have a full hand with this build, so you may not even be able to get the tokens, or they would prevent you from drawing additional tokens. I'll have to test it out and see what feels better.

Comment

Originally posted by David (Support) View Post

That's a good item, but very much about timing. I've seen it paired with things like the blood sucker two handed weapon to double down on healing.
                      Totally agree, Vampiric Shard + Longclaw requires very specific playstyle with respect to timing on the trinket activations. In this case, you almost always want to save up your Overpower tokens and other damage increasing tokens to combine with the healing effects to maximize your HP total, and only use it when you are enraged for a chance to proc Mastery.

Comment

I've played a few games with SLG in unranked to get a feel for it, even won against Demigod Witch. Two things stand out to me:

1) The extra +10% parry chance is really helpful, having 35% parry for defensive turns is great
                        2) As you said, SLG really shines on turns when you can get multiple attacks in with CGrip and Chain Strike, or on big BR turns. I was able to deal over 100 damage a few times in a single turn with SLG powering me up to close out close matchups.

Comment

More updates on builds!

My thanks to ... on discord for all the great info

Before starting, though this thread is defining competitive builds some fun builds or weak builds with solid strategy are welcome! One day they might get buffed too.

Enrage Berzerker

Main weapon: Vicious Thorium Axe

Off hand: Marauder Hacker

Trinkets: (Recommended) Berzerker Charm, Tribal Might, Medal of Cruelty

Perks: Mastery

We are looking at a build that uses zerker's mastery to its fullest. It focuses on dealing heavy dmg utilizing mastery through Berzerker charm and Marauder Hacker, gaining enrage at every corners. While the build uses duel wield and lacks huge one shots in comparison to two handed builds, it is still a force to be reckoned with when enraged.

Basically all berzerkers rely on rienforce, chain strike and berzerker rage for its combos. While the build lacks utility, it has the ability to deal enraged dmg from early game.

The build is quite cheap, and weapons and trinkets can be used according to one's likes. The reason I posted this build is to understand how duel wield mastery zerker works and people can make variants of it according to their amount of gold and perks

Comment

More thanks to everyone!

Resilience Berzerker

Two handed weapon: Blood Moon

Trinkets: Jormungand Scale, (Recommended: Medal of Resilience)

Perks: Cruelty, or Resilience of you do not use Medal of Resilience

Res Zerkers are pretty much dead atm. Well, most zerkers are but since there are resilience builds in all class, I will post on this build.

It is quite simply build, using Cruelty to activate Blood moon's proc and uses BB tokens fulley whenever you have the chance. The rest of it is similar to your everyday zerkers.

One of the reason i think this build is weak is that zerker is always short on APs, and BB tokens are too costly to use. And of course the build is RNG based.

Comment

Originally posted by RollingCode View Post

I've played a few games with SLG in unranked to get a feel for it, even won against Demigod Witch. Two things stand out to me:

1) The extra +10% parry chance is really helpful, having 35% parry for defensive turns is great
                              2) As you said, SLG really shines on turns when you can get multiple attacks in with CGrip and Chain Strike, or on big BR turns. I was able to deal over 100 damage a few times in a single turn with SLG powering me up to close out close matchups.
                              Thanks for testing it out XD i dont have the gold to test Vamp Shard build RN tho.... I did forget one of the reason behind using SLG. I'll add defensive stance to my post above thx!.

Yup SLG is able to rack up a lot of dmg... It is also great when using overpower as well too. But sometimes, it lacks persistence so some fight against demigods might be hard compared to Vamp shard builds

Comment

Working...
                              X