This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guide for beginners

I wrote this short guide for beginners, trying to help new players to start Ironbound with the right foot. Tell me what you think (suggestions and corrections accepted):

-----------------------------------------

*** General Tips ***

- This guide was written for version 1.5.1. It may be obsolete for later versions.

- "PRACTICE" againt the computer for as long as possible to gain money and upgrade your character (HPs and gear) before using "PLAY" or to "ARENA".

- Buy gear up to 1000 gold (full resell value) for as long as possible until you are confident enough to buy more expensive gear (50% resell value)

- Of course, if you can, buy some gold with real money, it will help the developers and make this process much easier!!

*** First Steps and initial gear ***

- Just after the tutorial, DON'T jump into "PLAY" or to "ARENA", you will probably become frustated against enemies (real people or bots) that have more HPs, better gear and probably play better than you.

- Instead, go "PRACTICE" againt the computer to gather money. In "PRACTICE", each of the four classes have 20 opponents to beat: 5 AI levels for each of the fours classes. You gain 200 gold once for each Very Easy AI you beat, 300 for Easy, 400 for Medium, 500 for Hard and 1000 for Expert. This means that if you beat them all you can earn 38400 gold.

- You receive 1000 gold just for doing the tutorial and another 1000 for registering. Immediately use this money to buy 1000 gear or less for your first class. DON'T buy anything more expensive than 1000 gold or you will not be able to resell it for full value!!!!

- The idea here is to slowly gather money to buy a complete new gear set, with all items under 1000, selling the gear from one class after you defeat all AIs and then using the money to buy gear for the next class to beat the AIs and so on, untill all classes have a complete gear.

- Here is my suggested "Cheap" gear for each class, each item costs 1000 gold or less (but you may change or improve as you like, as long as each item costs 1000 gold or less).

Cheap Berserker
    Adamantium Sword 900
    Adamantium Hacker 900
    Fine Grindstone 900
    Tribal Might 900 or Blood Idol 900

Cheap Crusader
    Adamantium Sword 900 or Beacon of hope 1000
    Adamantium Tower 1000
    Iron Spike 600 or Defender Charm 600
    Steel Bolt 900

Cheap Assassin
    Adamantium Sword 900
    Adamantium Dirk 900
    Pendant of Cunning 900
    Relic of Cruelty 900

Cheap Witch
    Admantium Sword 900
    Ruby Orb 900
    Relic of Cruelty 900
    Savage Idol 900 or Steel Shard 900

*** Beating the AI step by step ***

- Starting with 2000 gold, buy the Adamantium Sword 900 gold, which can be used with all classes. Also buy the Adamantium Tower (1000 gold) for the crusader. Using both items, you can now easily beat all the Very Easy AIs with the Crusader (earning 800 gold). Sell the shield and change class, buying items from the above gear. Do this with all four classes.

- Just by beating all 16 Very Easy AIs you will gather 3200 gold, totalling 5200 (if you sell all your previous gear).

- Now upgrade your character's life (click customize and then the upgrade tab). Upgrading to level 2 will cost you 200 gold and make your toon gain 25 life and will now have 125 life. If you do this upgrade for all 4 classes, you will still have 4400 gold, so you can still buy all the above gear for each class (selling and buying as you change class).

- With the complete "Cheap" gear above for each class, go beat all 16 easy AIs, 4 with each class. This will allow you to gather 4.800 money, for a total of 9200 gold.

- Now upgrade all classes to level 3 (150 hps), it will cost you 400 gold for each class, or 1600 total, so you should still have 7600 gold. You can now beat all 16 Medium AIs in the same way as before, with the "Cheap" gear above and the improved health (I did it, so you can do it too). That you allow you to gather 6400 money, adding up to 14000 gold.

- From now on, it is up to you. Choose the class you like the best (I chose the Crusader, see below), upgrade it to level 4 (600 gold for 175 Hps) and then to level 5 (1000 gold for 200 Hps) and buy some nice gear. Try to beat the Hard AI and then the Expert AI to gather more money.

- You can now start to "PLAY" in the ladder with less frustation, allowing you to earn money from wins (100 gold each) and ranks: 500 gold for reaching Brawler (300 rating), 1000 gold for reaching Hunter (600 rating), and so on.

*** The Crusader ***

- My humble suggestion is to start this process with the crusader. Use the following gear with a total cost of 10.850 (Thanks to nestharus for the suggestion in the forum). You shall have enough money for this gear even after upgrading the crusader to level 5:
    1) weapon: Demon Bane = 3300
    2) shield: Lionheart Shield = 3000
    3) Trinket 1: Divine Shard = 2900
    4) Trinket 2: Protector Armband = 1650
    5) Perk: "Cruelty" Perk

- As nestharus says in his post, the main strategy here is: "take damage at the start. Don't go for Divine Shard until you have enough defense and have perhaps seen some of the disables and dispels used. Around 100 hp is usually good to start the Divine Shard."

- You are not invincible in this gear! You will probably lose to a couple AIs and most humans, but with this gear you should be able to beat most bots, including all four Hard AIs (2000 gold) and all four Expert AIs (4000 gold). I did it, so if you are unable to do it, maybe you need to improve your play. Beating the AIs will give a good understanding of how this gear works.

- In the ladder, this gear should quickly bring you to at least rating 1200, Challenger (but you can and should go much higher), for another 5000 gold in ranks, coupled with at least 50 wins (5000 gold). You should have now more than 16000 gold (6000 with Hard/Expert AI + 10000 gold in the ladder) without selling the Crusader gear!

- Now go choose a class, buy some good gear and share your success!!

*** Final toughts ***

- I am still new to Ironbound, but I hope this guide is useful for new players.

- Please let me know if you have improvements on the suggested gear under 1000 gold or if you have other classes beginner gear to suggest.

-----------------------------------------
    Last edited by Killer_Tomato; 01-27-2018, 04:10 PM.

Great guide! I'm new also. Instead of Divine Shard, I use Relic of Reckoning as cheap substitute. I'm currently in my 14 winning streak. My other trinket is Armlet of Stoic. Snowballing defense + Dmg thru Armlet for a finishing Mighty Blow / Slam.
    I also use Resilience lvl5, for additional defense through Beacon of Light.

Comment

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Dirtybob the bot? You will get zapped if you are not careful. You will fire and fire and not one of your hits will get through his shield.

Right now am running:

Fanatic Mighty axe
        Lionheart Shield
        Spirit Wolf Pelt
        Mirror of Ra.

Cruelty Level 5

Not cheap, but it allows for good hits. Using Divine Shard (3 uses) works very well if your shield is high enough up and the opponent can't break it. It turns into a slug fest though against opponents who burn through their tokens (had first 40 turn fight using this).

Comment

Originally posted by DawgBisquet View Post
          Dirtybob the bot? You will get zapped if you are not careful. You will fire and fire and not one of your hits will get through his shield.

Right now am running:

Fanatic Mighty axe
          Lionheart Shield
          Spirit Wolf Pelt
          Mirror of Ra.

Cruelty Level 5

Not cheap, but it allows for good hits. Using Divine Shard (3 uses) works very well if your shield is high enough up and the opponent can't break it. It turns into a slug fest though against opponents who burn through their tokens (had first 40 turn fight using this).
          I've had mixed feelings about buying Divine Shard. So you're pretty happy with it?

Comment

Just to clarify, I have no intention to claim that it's the "best crusader gear". But I do think it's an excellent cost benefit gear, that is more than adequate for beginners: it costs only 10k and holds pretty well against bots, paying itself quicky with victories and allowing you to learn how to play the class. All items are effective for its' price, IMHO, including Divine Shard (it has worked well for me), and it's easy to replace one item while keeping the others. Of course it can be improved to fit your style or to respond to specific enemies, but I would rather avoid suggesting high cost items in a beginner guide.

Comment

Originally posted by David (Support) View Post

I've had mixed feelings about buying Divine Shard. So you're pretty happy with it?
              It is pretty much useless in the beginning of the game. Towards the end? Up armor and resist all but the best hits. Ran to the 40 hit point several times, hitting it once.

Comment

Does this guide still work fully??

Comment

Originally posted by Dimmizer View Post
                  Does this guide still work fully??
                  Yes, if it ever worked. There has been only one patch since Killer_Tomato created this thread

Here are patch notes

Comment

I'd give a shoutout to the "blunt berserker" build from another thread. It's even cheaper than this crusader build, is pretty straightforward to play, and most importantly the games are much shorter, so you collect gold/ranks way faster.
                    ZOKU NUBO DEXI 5675

Comment

Originally posted by Rivx View Post
                      I'd give a shoutout to the "blunt berserker" build from another thread. It's even cheaper than this crusader build, is pretty straightforward to play, and most importantly the games are much shorter, so you collect gold/ranks way faster.
                      No pain, no gain

Everything Rivx said is correct. It's
                      1) Cheap
                      2) Easy to play
                      3) Quick
                      Besides that
                      4) Reliable
                      5) Capable of reaching top20
                      Problems start once One reaches 3000+ rating
                      2*) Easy to play - One haven't learned anything
                      3*) Quick - One didn't pay attention to opponents
                      4*) Reliable - not anymore, One start losing matches against demigods
                      5*) Capable of reaching top20 - that's it, One can't get into top3 with this build
                      6) Imagination (or lack of it) - limited experience means that One fails to create a decent build on his own

What happens next is quite obvious

Ps. It doesn't apply to Rivx, he'll be fine. Who wants to know more: https://discord.gg/rhfGVkK
                      Last edited by Patarei; 03-08-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Hey guys .. I kinda started playing2 days ago, but I find it impossible to beat bots on Medium without gear.. cause the game wont count the victory as one if I use it. Anyone had such problems ?

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.aladzhov View Post
                          Hey guys .. I kinda started playing2 days ago, but I find it impossible to beat bots on Medium without gear.. cause the game wont count the victory as one if I use it. Anyone had such problems ?
                          This is the first report of it. PM me your in-game name, and I can advance you past the medium bots.

Gerula (Developer) will want to know about it.

Comment

Fellow players,

I just want to clarify that I'm no longer playing Ironbound and therefore I'm not able to update this guide. In particular, there might be currently better newbie gears instead of the Crusader build I've proposed. But I I think the other parts of the guide are still very useful for new players.

Good luck in your games!

Comment

Links to other important posts referenced above

nestharus
                              "Divine Shard Crusader Build" https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/ir...3000-rate-bots
                              {Crusader being misspelled in title makes it harder to find via "search"}

Post by Daddadook mentioned by Rivx
                              "Blunt Berserker Build"
                              https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/ir...-for-under-10k

- Linking to the source post that is mentioned, is extremely helpful for the newbs that come along later.

- Even better, collect such posts, those that are generally agreed to include experienced players' wisdom, into their own "Suggested Builds" section/channel
                              VUFO ZEBE ZAQI 1381 -|- Gethi, mage, & Kisheli, XP mage

Comment

Working...
                              X