No announcement yet.

Corrupt? Too broken to preserve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely disagree. But then, I've always liked steal/control mechanics.

To address your suggestions:

1) steal to an open slot - would simplify things, but would be a massive nerf. Would not allow opposing a corrupted minion with a stealth/flying minion, a primary tactic that is also available to stun, so why remove it? Would also prevent potential number advantage (one of corrupt's key features) and not let it always be used, a massive nerf that doesn't apply to any other mechanic (and would be a serious disadvantage going against things with rage). So not my first choice.

2) realm of influence limit - why? No other mechanic has this limitation What is the point?

3) stun first turn - interesting idea.

4) power climb - bad idea. We already have multiple champions that do this and don't need another

5) dominate and win - a) I find dominate mechanics more fun than power climb ones, so fun is relative. b) the entire premise depends on the qualifier 'AI can't counter'. Create more ways to counter and this issue goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Firagon View Post
      With the current implementation of corruption, either all the abilities of a minion need to be usurped or none of them. Cherry picking certain abilities to work against your champ while other still work for you makes things needlessly complicated and inconsistent. I would dump this mechanic from the game but if it were to remain it should be in the minion-swaps-sides form so that the behavior of the corrupted minion is obvious. I would place limits on the corruption ability such as:
      - must have an open slot to transfer the minion
      - can only corrupt minions in the realms of influence of your champ
      - corrupted minion is inert in the turn in which it corrupted (does not attack or apply abilities)

I think Darlok's Dominate ability should be switched to a power climb mechanic, maybe similar to Hyperia's second ability except that it draws the power from opposing minions. That would synergize much better with his rarely used first ability. It would be a lot more fun to play than the current dominate-and-win-because-AI-can't-counter strategy.
      Sounds like a cool concept. What would that look like? Saps power for power? Health for power?

If a unit were stolen, it would almost certainly have to be silenced or cleansed, depending on what game term you like. So if you had buffed the daylights out of something, I wouldn't get that benefit when I stole your unit.

And this is all a big if. It may get shot down. The dev who works on the engine is excellent, but things that are non-trivial are non-trivial even for the best developers.

Comment

No, no, no. Not a good concept. We have at least 3 champions that power climb already (not counting ramses and conditioning + his temporary boost). If your argument is to take a unique mechanic and make it more like another champion's ability, that should tell you that it is a bad idea.

And why would the stolen minion have to get debuffed? That makes no sense, either thematically or mechanically.

Just change the targeting rules and call it a day.

Comment

I find myself agreeing with BAgate a lot in this conversation. The problem is not the mechanic, which adds variety to the game and a way past some of the tough campaign fights, especially for newer players. The issue is that there are currently so few counters to it. Letting corrupted minions be targeted by nukes/stuns/etc as if they were hostile minions would be the simplest solution since it would enable human players to counter it much better but not affect its use and power in PvE as significantly. At the same time, making the power less effective will probably call for reducing its cost. While the power-drain suggestion sounds intriguing, it is really not at all the same as taking over an enemy minion. Nothing is. If you completely remove it, there's nothing that can replace it that will truly be equivalent to it. Which does not mean that some new ability wont also be a good ability, but that it is likely to be less unique. Less uniqueness means less variety. Less variety means the game becomes less interesting. <shrug> But I will adapt to whatever changes you make. I just especially ask that enabling us to change our 3rd Realms again be more of a priority if even Champ abilities are going to face major changes, because the decisions I made years ago with much smaller decks and cards that were very different than they are now are making less and less sense in the current game.

Comment

It would be nice if we could move up the priority of being able to change the third realm for decks.

Comment

Third realm change might be available once the new Collection UI is done.

Comment

I didn't read all conversation but i agree with the idea of a corrupted minion changing side, and maybe stunned the first turn.
                Nemain could "eat" opposing minion and become this minion.
                Make Jade Knight green !

Comment

Originally posted by fredo46 View Post
                  I didn't read all conversation but i agree with the idea of a corrupted minion changing side, and maybe stunned the first turn.
                  Nemain could "eat" opposing minion and become this minion.
                  I'd been wondering how to deal with Nemain if this came to fruition. I like it, but what's the incentive to upgrade or evolve? could it get Imbue on evolve?

Comment

If Nemain 'eats' the opposing minion then what is the point? She just becomes a sorcery in minion form.

And if corrupting something causes it to switch sides then it shouldn't be stunned. When Lorna creates a griffon it doesn't come into play with slow. First turn stun should only be considered if the mechanic stays essentially as is.

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post
                      If Nemain 'eats' the opposing minion then what is the point? She just becomes a sorcery in minion form.
                      Yes, why not ? There's already the opposite (umbra slash), why not ? She could still be in event boxes then, and more expensive and rare than a spell in spell box (which i miss so much since M&E... )

And if corrupting something causes it to switch sides then it shouldn't be stunned. When Lorna creates a griffon it doesn't come into play with slow.
                      I won't oppose to that

Make Jade Knight green !

Comment

Working...
                      X