New Mechanics / Abilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mechanics / Abilities

There was a discussion on Discord about some new mechanics in the game, and I've had a couple of other thoughts and wanted to post it for others to comment on, add their own ideas, etc.

Blood Ability: Copy Opponent's blood ability
    I initially suggested this as either a blood ability or sorcery spell, but I think it would work better as a blood ability. The cost could work in a few different ways: 1. Fixed cost to activate any one of your opponent's blood abilities; 2. Cost equals the cost you want to copy; 3. Fixed cost to activate plus cost of the copied ability. As with all other blood abilities, you would only be able to activate your ability once per round.

Sorcery Spell Idea: Mimic
    When cast, you select a minion already on the board, a copy of that minion is placed on your board. Could be limited to opposing minions, to your minions, to any minion. Placement could be random or left-most or right-most or opposite copied minion (could be other placement logic applied). Power/Health could be copied from current minion's state or as the minion exists when cast (if you copy a damaged minion do you start with full health? if you copy a power-climb minion do they get the higher power? if you copy a savage minion how many attacks do they have?).

Minion Idea: Chameleon
    Every round the minion mimics another minion in play. The Chameleon's health does not change but it's power and abilities do. Would need to decide when the change happens to know whether beginning of tun effects happen before or after the change each round. If there are no other minions on the board, the Chameleon reverts to its natural state. The natural state could be very weak (benefits the player to have other minions on the board) or very powerful (benefits the opponent to keep other minions on the board).

Mechanic Idea: Multi-round effects
    I know there is already a burn mechanic that does damage for an extra round. This could be expanded to different damage types that have different extension mechanics. For example, Fire/Burn = Same damage for # rounds. Lightning/Shock = Stun first round, damage for # rounds. Poison = Increasing damage for # rounds. Earthquake = Stun for # rounds. Drown = Reduced mana generation for # rounds. Healing aura = Heal # for # rounds.

Mechanic Idea: Delayed-effect
    Cast an ability that does nothing for one or more rounds then has a more devastating effect. Meteor Strike that does # damage in # rounds. This spell would cost less than an immediate action spell of the same effect/damage.

Sorcery Idea: Dispel Effect
    A counter to the delayed effects and multi-round effects. Allow you to cast on yourself and/or your minions to dispel any lingering or delayed effects.

Mechanic Idea: Mute Abilities
    We currently have Sap which drains your Power and Stun which prevents attacking. But beginning-of-turn effects still happen, retaliate effects still happen, on-death effects still happen. This mechanic would cancel an opponents abilities (could also be for # rounds). They would still attack as normal (unless stunned) but Battlemage would not get burst damage, Doom Knight not sap, Great Elk would not heal, Plague Lord would not explode when killed, etc. There could be two effects; one that does this to minions and another that prevents a champ from using blood abilities.

Any thoughts on these suggestions? Any suggestions of your own to add?

Minion Ability: Airborne
    Minion can only be attacked by minions with Flight. Flight makes it so a minion can attack over an opposing minion's head (if they don't have Flight or Vast) but they can be attacked by earthbound minions. So it's like a creature that lands but then flies into the air when they attack. Airborne would be like a minion that never lands, so you have to have Flight to be able to reach them to attack them. Minions without Flight would strike the opposing champ instead of the Airborne minion.

Comment

I'd adjust the Dispel Effect to remove any effect, including Stun, Nightmare, etc.

Love to see a Sorcery that increases minions' max health.

Sorcery - give minion anti-frenzy, so their power goes down every time they attack.

Minion ability - mirror - reflects not damage, but abilities (ex. instead of being dispelled itself, it dispels the attacker, instead of being killed, it kills the attacker).

Sorcery - removes abilities from minions.

Sorcery - removes abilities from champions (i.e. get rid of a random effect from sorceries/blood abilities)

Change rebirth so that when a creature is reborn its power/health decrease and eventually can't come back

Minion ability - reincarnate - when it dies it comes back as a random minion of the next lower rarity class but same evolution/level.

Sorcery - energy drain - reduce a minions level/evolution level

Minion ability - replace - can only be cast on an occupied slot and returns the minion there to your hand and replaces it

More type specific boosts

Realm specific boosts

Comment

Originally posted by adjacentengels View Post
        Blood Ability: Copy Opponent's blood ability
        I initially suggested this as either a blood ability or sorcery spell, but I think it would work better as a blood ability. The cost could work in a few different ways: 1. Fixed cost to activate any one of your opponent's blood abilities; 2. Cost equals the cost you want to copy; 3. Fixed cost to activate plus cost of the copied ability. As with all other blood abilities, you would only be able to activate your ability once per round.
        I agree it seems more like a blood ability, though it might see more use if it was a sorcerer spell. Matching the blood cost to the cost of the ability (option 2) leaves me with the feeling there should be some kind of cost for the copying of the spell. So that would only work if it were a sorcerer spell that required you to spend blood on top of the mana. Having one fixed cost (option 1) means you are either getting the ability too cheap or likely paying too much (or it has the same problem as before). The last option would work, but it is going to make the champ really blood thirsty so they are going to need to come with light (or that will always be the realm picked for them). In other words I think this work only if it is a blood ability for a champ that starts with Light or it needs to be a high cost sorcery spell.

Sorcery Spell Idea: Mimic
        When cast, you select a minion already on the board, a copy of that minion is placed on your board. Could be limited to opposing minions, to your minions, to any minion. Placement could be random or left-most or right-most or opposite copied minion (could be other placement logic applied). Power/Health could be copied from current minion's state or as the minion exists when cast (if you copy a damaged minion do you start with full health? if you copy a power-climb minion do they get the higher power? if you copy a savage minion how many attacks do they have?).
        I like the idea of a doppelganger card. The only way to do it without making it a real pain in the neck would be to have it copy the card & act as if it had just been played. Otherwise there will be too many questions about which things have to match.

Minion Idea: Chameleon
        Every round the minion mimics another minion in play. The Chameleon's health does not change but it's power and abilities do. Would need to decide when the change happens to know whether beginning of tun effects happen before or after the change each round. If there are no other minions on the board, the Chameleon reverts to its natural state. The natural state could be very weak (benefits the player to have other minions on the board) or very powerful (benefits the opponent to keep other minions on the board).
        Easier to just go with your mimic idea. Otherwise the card is just going to by a bunch of annoying chaos rather than an interesting strategy.

Mechanic Idea: Multi-round effects
        I know there is already a burn mechanic that does damage for an extra round. This could be expanded to different damage types that have different extension mechanics. For example, Fire/Burn = Same damage for # rounds. Lightning/Shock = Stun first round, damage for # rounds. Poison = Increasing damage for # rounds. Earthquake = Stun for # rounds. Drown = Reduced mana generation for # rounds. Healing aura = Heal # for # rounds.
        I like the idea of some effects lasting for multiple rounds, but not the idea of trying to make different effects based on the type of damage. Then things get too complex when you have to say what type of damage it is. It's way easier to say the spell lasts for x rounds. Things like brushfire aspect already should last for more than 1 round. I suspect the main reason we don't' see that spell is that its effect is too short lived, same for spell shield. I am wary of doing multiple round stuns though. It's a strong effect & making that last more than 1 round can be overpowering. I hate the idea of a multiple round draining of Mana. That would definitely qualify as a spell to ruin the fun of the game, just like mana sink spell. It was pulled for a reason.

Mechanic Idea: Delayed-effect
        Cast an ability that does nothing for one or more rounds then has a more devastating effect. Meteor Strike that does # damage in # rounds. This spell would cost less than an immediate action spell of the same effect/damage.
        Spells with the slow effect on them could be very interesting. It would make an interesting combo with the above multi-round effect.

Sorcery Idea: Dispel Effect
        A counter to the delayed effects and multi-round effects. Allow you to cast on yourself and/or your minions to dispel any lingering or delayed effects.
        This is a good idea. I expect it would be more popular than spell shield because you can use it when you need to insead of trying to predict when it will be useful. Which also shows that spell shield needs to be a multi-round effect.

Mechanic Idea: Mute Abilities
        We currently have Sap which drains your Power and Stun which prevents attacking. But beginning-of-turn effects still happen, retaliate effects still happen, on-death effects still happen. This mechanic would cancel an opponents abilities (could also be for # rounds). They would still attack as normal (unless stunned) but Battlemage would not get burst damage, Doom Knight not sap, Great Elk would not heal, Plague Lord would not explode when killed, etc. There could be two effects; one that does this to minions and another that prevents a champ from using blood abilities.
        I had been thinking of something like this. I like it, but think that retaliate effects (including death effects) should happen. Basically just start of turn effects, effects already in place (like protect) & resurrection. Limit it to one round though.

Minion Ability: Airborne
        Minion can only be attacked by minions with Flight. Flight makes it so a minion can attack over an opposing minion's head (if they don't have Flight or Vast) but they can be attacked by earthbound minions. So it's like a creature that lands but then flies into the air when they attack. Airborne would be like a minion that never lands, so you have to have Flight to be able to reach them to attack them. Minions without Flight would strike the opposing champ instead of the Airborne minion.
        I think it would make things over complicated. Once cards start skipping each other (yes I did see that flying opponent should block it) the game becomes more something about rocket tag instead of strategy. Plus how would it work with Laura's abilitys work with it. Sorry I don't like the idea.

Now here is my idea.
        Mechanic idea: Linking Death/Upon Striking Effects to Key Words
        I would love to see more on death/upon striking effects in the game, but would like more variety in the effect. What if instead of damage it wold be linked to another key word & do that. So you might have a tar creature that when struck saps the foe (for a round) & upon death stuns them for a round. How about a creature that gives you blood every turn, but when it dies it defiles your opponent (or you or maybe both). I don't think they should go how wild with this, but adding some variety to death & maybe the reflect effects could be interesting.
        Last edited by Griffon; 06-19-2018, 07:46 AM. Reason: To make where the new idea is located easier.

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post
          Minion ability - mirror - reflects not damage, but abilities (ex. instead of being dispelled itself, it dispels the attacker, instead of being killed, it kills the attacker).
          This is could be interesting, though I suspect how it works with all the different abilities might make it tricky to implement.

Change rebirth so that when a creature is reborn its power/health decrease and eventually can't come back
          This would be an interesting way to do (& show how far along you are) the change where cards stop resurrecting after a certain number of times. I'm not crazy about the power decreasing part though. I still think that there should be a re-charge time for the resurrection rather than it being once or twice only.

Minion ability - reincarnate - when it dies it comes back as a random minion of the next lower rarity class but same evolution/level.
          Now this is an idea I really like. Having more cards that become something else (but not a ton of them) would be be very interesting. It could even be a good sorcery spell (different than ones like avenging angel because the card has to be killed as opposed to being killed by the reincarnation).

I'd adjust the Dispel Effect to remove any effect, including Stun, Nightmare, etc.
          The impression I got from dispel effect was that it was to work on any long term effect so it should work on Nightmare. I'm not so sure if it would work on stuns caused by things like Satyr Bard though. It's one thing to protect from sorcery spells & it's another to make blanket protection on things like this. Or to make it plainer I'm not sure when should make a generalized counter to everything that can be done to a card because then there won't be a way to stop cards & that is needed as a balancing factor in this game.

Sorcery - removes abilities from minions.

Sorcery - removes abilities from champions (i.e. get rid of a random effect from sorceries/blood abilities)
          I'm not sure how this is different than adjacentengels dispel effect idea.

Love to see a Sorcery that increases minions' max health.
          The various shield spells already effectively do this. What would be the effective difference between shielding it from x damage & increasing it's health? Unless you can show me a difference I am missing, I don't see the point in adding a mechanic to do effectively the same thing.

Minion ability - replace - can only be cast on an occupied slot and returns the minion there to your hand and replaces it
          There are already spells that let you do this, Retreat & Circle of Life. The only real difference is that you use those & then pick the card to replace it. Did you mean something like Umbral Slash that replaces that card by killing the old one (with it putting the card in your hand in this case)? That might be useful, but I still think Retreat & Circle of Life would work for that. Cards like Umbral Slash & Avenging Angel work because they give you a unique summon, not how they get the card in play.

More type specific boosts

Realm specific boosts
          Not sure what you mean by this (it's too generic).

Sorcery - give minion anti-frenzy, so their power goes down every time they attack.
          The entropy spell already does this even more so & it's so cheap I'm not sure we need to replace the effect. This could be a way to replace what that spell does though. Personally I think entropy should leave 1 point of attack left so the card still does something. That seems more fun than turning it into a waste of a slot (unless it also generates blood or mana) that it currently is.

Sorcery - energy drain - reduce a minions level/evolution level
          I really don't like this idea, it would just suck & not be fun to have used on you. Plus it would be really complicated to implement.

Comment

When I say remove abilities from cards I don't mean remove effects, but abilities. So cast it on a Chimera and it loses Frenzy or Savage. Or cast on Ogma and remove a frenzy.

Increase max health is different from shield because there are effects that heal. Think Great Elk. And then there is Merge with Nature...

When I say type/realm specific boosts I mean like a minion that inspires all shadow cards, or gives all nature cards frenzy, and more things like Beast Mistress or Tiamat that boosts specific type. Give a perk if you play single type/realm.

With respect to the replace idea, I was thinking something like Umbral Slash, but instead of killing the minion returning it to your hand. Basically a minion with a reduced casting cost at the expense of slowing you down. So think of a Devourer that only costs 30 mana but has to replace a minion already in play.

Comment

When I say remove abilities from cards I don't mean remove effects, but abilities. So cast it on a Chimera and it loses Frenzy or Savage. Or cast on Ogma and remove a frenzy.
              So It's just like adjacentengels idea to mute abilities then.

When I say type/realm specific boosts I mean like a minion that inspires all shadow cards, or gives all nature cards frenzy, and more things like Beast Mistress or Tiamat that boosts specific type. Give a perk if you play single type/realm.
              Considering how strong some of the abilities that just effect a specific type of card (for example Beast Mistress on beasts) it could be truly devastating when done on a whole realm. Keep in mind it would actually be easier to make decks around a realm than a subtype. The reason Pixie Queen can't have leadership is because it was shown to be overpowering when used with Willow Wisps. (That is according to David.) To even consider it, it would have to be on a legendary card only & even then it would be restricted. The developers would have to use extreme caution in implementing this & I suspect it would just end up too strong.

With respect to the replace idea, I was thinking something like Umbral Slash, but instead of killing the minion returning it to your hand. Basically a minion with a reduced casting cost at the expense of slowing you down. So think of a Devourer that only costs 30 mana but has to replace a minion already in play.
              As I said before cards like Umbral Slash are interesting because of the unique minion they summon, not how they get the card in play. When you consider that this could be used on corrupted, perma-stunned, have entry effects or on minions that are about to die; removing cards to the hand to put out the new creature is more of a boon than a hindrance. To use an example to make it fair the Devourer would have to have a cost equal to the original plus the cheapest way to return it to your hand. So that would be 80 mana not 30.

Comment

I played a game that did something similar. You'd sacrifice a friendly unit and get one that cost 1 mana more (mana costs 1-10). Sometimes it was a bust, sometimes it was a great result. To me, that's an acceptable type of RNG.

Comment

Originally posted by David (Support) View Post
                  I played a game that did something similar. You'd sacrifice a friendly unit and get one that cost 1 mana more (mana costs 1-10). Sometimes it was a bust, sometimes it was a great result. To me, that's an acceptable type of RNG.
                  You suppose to be better in the next life, so why lower rarity class
                  An effect like reconstruction spell would be nice.

And I would love the dispell sorcery

Comment

Working...
                  X