Magic and Empire

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Join the Magic & Empire Mobile Beta

Magic & Empire played on a tablet looks like fantasized turn-based strategy sweetness.

https://forum.makingfun.com/forum/ma...ile-interested

Come check out what's happening with our latest game hitting beta. We could use some folks interested in playing the first public mobile builds. View the thread linked below and hit me up or your pal Travis (Admin) if you want to take part.
2 of 2 < >

Join the M&E Community on Discord

See more
See less

Arena match ups still broken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Arena match ups still broken

    Rather than import my game from facebook I decided to start over. I've got a Immortal + 4 Brienne that I am struggling to level as Disenchant is about worthless and I can't level my cards, I've got a ton of useless one and two star cards I can't do anything with because it refuses to acknowledge them or let me break them down, but I digress. Entered Arena this week, I'm at the Fields of Glory stage and come across an Immortal +4 or 5 Hyperia loaded up with max level, fully evolved 3-5 stars, which savaged my deck. Okay fine, I surrender, next match...same guy. Next match, same guy, next match....I thought the whole point of the new system was to have arena opponents chosen for deck strength similar to your own. I'll try reloading and see if I get some fair matches, but this is really ridiculous.

  • #2
    I will pass this to the devs. Matching hasn't been addressed yet, but I've had the same concern that you've voiced about getting stuck and not having enough essence early on to do anything with cards.

    Comment


    • #3
      I seem to have undermined my own point, but yes I'll be happy to address disenchant as well in another post

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm having a similar problem. Every time I log in and go to the arena I get the same opponents. On three of my characters the opponents are all maxed and on max hit points so no way I can win. So I started a new character and am having a similar problem. Once past the first couple of tiers all my opponents now have much higher hit points than I do - so again there is no way I can win.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Carolejoy View Post
          I'm having a similar problem. Every time I log in and go to the arena I get the same opponents. On three of my characters the opponents are all maxed and on max hit points so no way I can win. So I started a new character and am having a similar problem. Once past the first couple of tiers all my opponents now have much higher hit points than I do - so again there is no way I can win.
          What player level are you at?

          Comment


          • #6
            Any progress on this? I'm a newb with mostly 2 star cards a few 3 stars and only a couple upgraded (no higher than level 3). I was facing fairly comparable opponents in arena and then, bam, now I fight nothing but opponents with all 4 star max upgraded cards. 0% chance to win is no fun.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BAgate View Post
              Any progress on this? I'm a newb with mostly 2 star cards a few 3 stars and only a couple upgraded (no higher than level 3). I was facing fairly comparable opponents in arena and then, bam, now I fight nothing but opponents with all 4 star max upgraded cards. 0% chance to win is no fun.
              Hi there, BAgate. The matching algorithm has not been addressed. What is planned that will help you is greater access to resources, like with a daily login incentive, improved store offerings, more opportunities for essence.

              Something that can help make headway is to get a second champion, one of the silver ones. See what cards you might have in your inventory that fit one of the two you don't have (I'm assuming you're still on one champ). And obviously, pick the one that looks more fun to you.

              Each champion starts at 0 glory in the arena, and then adds to your cumulative glory for the tournament. So most players, including veterans, work multiple champions up. That will let you learn another champion, gain more resources that you can apply to either one, and not get stuck when one starts facing high powered opponents.

              The campaign also offers a good opportunity to gain resources and level champions and upgrade minions. I generally play forward in the campaign until I get stuck and then go back and play previous campaign battles at higher difficulties. I am starting a new play account now to regain a sense of progression.

              Once we release PVP, it may look similar to IronBound in that players will be put on even footing somehow so that you can go in knowing you won't get walloped by someone who has played for 1+ years and built an impressive collection.

              It's cool to know you're playing. And I thought I had managed to surpass you on IronBound, but you've been splitting your time!

              Comment


              • #8
                Sounds good, but just a little smoothing of enemy progression would go a long way. They got so much better so fast I got whiplash,

                And I've actually put IronBound on hold. Only so much time in the day, and had to give this a try...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Took your advice, reread what you wrote, and now I'm even more pissed.

                  1) even one of the dev team has to start over to "regain a sense of progression"? WTF?

                  2) started a 2nd champion in the arena and in 2 days hit the same problem. Went from challenging games I could win maybe 50-50 or a little less to games where I loose in 5 turns every time. With no way to go backwards, that now means arena is essentially closed for me for the next couple months (just a guess on how long it will take to go from 2 and 3 star cards upgraded 0-4 times to 4/5 stars with the occasional 6 upgraded 14-max times). That's half the game gone.

                  Now, I'm not interested in PvP. I generally like playing an opponent where I can pause to watch the game and resume playing during commercials. This meets that criteria, has a nice design and shows lots of promise. But not spending the day or so to create a smooth progression of opponents is an unforgivable sin. This is enough to make me consider giving the game up, which, I hope, is not the reaction you're looking for from new players.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BAgate View Post
                    Took your advice, reread what you wrote, and now I'm even more pissed.

                    1) even one of the dev team has to start over to "regain a sense of progression"? WTF?

                    2) started a 2nd champion in the arena and in 2 days hit the same problem. Went from challenging games I could win maybe 50-50 or a little less to games where I loose in 5 turns every time. With no way to go backwards, that now means arena is essentially closed for me for the next couple months (just a guess on how long it will take to go from 2 and 3 star cards upgraded 0-4 times to 4/5 stars with the occasional 6 upgraded 14-max times). That's half the game gone.

                    Now, I'm not interested in PvP. I generally like playing an opponent where I can pause to watch the game and resume playing during commercials. This meets that criteria, has a nice design and shows lots of promise. But not spending the day or so to create a smooth progression of opponents is an unforgivable sin. This is enough to make me consider giving the game up, which, I hope, is not the reaction you're looking for from new players.
                    Yes, I restarted just a few days ago to be honest. That hasn't been my focus until just very recently. Josh has been doing that for a while but his focus is on the overall redesign. The campaigns have gotten some reworking after all the stat adjustments, but we anticipated needing to do more. I'll pass on your feedback as this has been a real concern. We have some data collection in place for this now but at this point haven't been actively pursuing users to get a good dataset, so it's really helpful to get your experience.

                    Oh, and were you referring just to the arena, or did you also go back to the campaign and get stuck there, too?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi BAgate. Just so you know they have recently been doing some redesigning to help thing be better all around. The progression in the arena is of course a big part of that so it makes sense that one of the developers would start over to check out how that works. Obviously they still need to work on things. Now is it every opponent that you meet that has the power cards that stop you or is it just 1 or 2 decks that you run into that stop you from finishing a set? If it's only one or two please mention which ones. We might be able to give you hints to beat them. My own experience is that the progressions rather smooth up until the Halls of Power, with an occasional hard one or so in each tier (Starting at Fields of Glory).

                      There is a third silver champ you can use to get some more play out of the arena. Based on what you said that should top out for you close to the time that the arena is resetting which will let you start over. Unfortunately until we have more new players for the game the amount of old timers sticking around will make you run into walls in the arena. Honestly though in the beginning the major source of essence & silver for you should be the campaign. I don't know if they have reworked the god packs yet, but eventually those will be a source of good cards for you.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My advice for new players would be to buy the three silver champs (Brienne, Crowe, Majus) as soon as possible. Level up those champs to a point where you can score about 2000 glory in the arena with each one. The arena resets every week so that is about 6000 easy glory to score each week. It is also reasonably quick to get 1000 gold through beating the campaigns and completing quests. Use that 1000 gold to buy Darlok so you can grind further in the arena.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          More single opponents in arena. I believe the road block was Orion. Not a high level, but cards that were so far superior as to make the match a joke. It let me face someone else a day latter, so I could progress again until I ran into another overwhelmingly superior deck (don't remember the name). Rinse, repeat. And hints won't help. When all of your cards have power+health (or whatever they're called) of no more than 15 with maybe 1 ability and your opponent's cards are 45+ with 3 abilities strategy doesn't matter.

                          I have all 3 silver champions, but don't have the cards to focus on more than 2. God packs haven't given me more than 2 stars yet, and all the silver packs I've bought haven't done better than 3 stars. And 2000 glory is still a bit out of reach, even with my best champion. But that is what the grind is for. Which I don't mind, as long as there is a chance of winning.

                          But thanks everyone for your responses.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Strategy does make a difference. A lot of those really strong cards cost more than 50 mana which means you can keep them from being played by using a void mage for example. Also cards like Gorgon sister that permanently stun them (or really any of the stunners).

                            Remember to grind the campaign. Eventually the god packs get better & it will give you essence & silver that you need.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              NOapostal (?) is the second road block I've found.

                              Griffon, haven't checked, but many of those cards don't cost 50+, they're cheaper cards maxed out. I've tried voidmage against them with no luck. And I only have one card with stun, which isn't enough. Thanks for the advice, but no joy.

                              This wouldn't be so bad if you didn't get locked in to one opponent. I win a couple games and then hit a roadblock and have to stop for 24 hours or so until the opponent changes (or spend gold). If the game would realize after you loose 3 in a row to one opponent that you're overmatched and changed the opponent that would solve the issue. Or smoothing the progression.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X