Notes on 3.0.46

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes on 3.0.46

1) maybe it's just me, but the display of text in the small cards is wonky. All second 'l's don't seem to be displayed.

2) Forcing people to choose their third realm before they can even make a spellbook is very not cool.

3) it would be nice to have a filter tat allows us to see any spell we have more than 2 of. Wold make breaking down stuff after buying packs much easier than searching things out 1 by 1.

4) Why are there no tool tips for keywords? If you don't know about the forum there is no way to know what things do.

5) The break animation takes to long. Is there any way to disable it?

6) Darlok nerf was too much. He sucks now.

7) inability to look at more than one realm at a time in collections is a major drawback.

8) Could the spells in a spellbook indicate realm somehow?

9) High Inquisitor says it summons a random spell, so how come I got a choice? And why does that spell get reshuffled into my deck?

10) Having to select a spellbook for each match is going to get REALLY old. Can't we just use the last one unless we change (like it was before)?

11) The hovering animation for flight is really cheesy.

12) Neptune's before he attacks ability triggers even when he has summoning sickness. Is this intentional?

13) Pillar of Flame sucks now. Why can't it target minions? And why does a chaos spell depend on the target's power?

14) Reach doesn't seem to work. At least my Chimera doesn't damage adjacent minions.

15) In the arena my glory is 0 but the next tier is 5000. Huh?

16) I hate summoning sickness. Late game you can't get anything going if you are behind because the creature in the opposing slot gets a free attack. When you have to block this is a dumb idea.

17) It takes around 10 secs to finish (not play) a match. Way to long.

18) All champions having the same power.health is boring and messes with early arena.

19) Lack of upgrade and evolve makes the game seem more boring. If I was coming to it for the first time I would definitely be less interested and likely to stick around.

20) Bloodlust extra attacks against multiple enemies with guard can get ridiculous. 5 attacks in one round? My Gaulish Chief cleared the board.

21) Having the back of cards flash in front of you when the opponent gets a choice of something is unnecessary and annoying.

22) Everything being static (lack of %s) is less interesting.

I'll keep playing and giving it a chance, but my first impression is this is a giant step backwards. The interface isn't as nice, the play isn't as interesting, the meta isn't as complex and it just isn't as fun.

So confused

I don't understand the gem thing at all.
    Champions have no way to upgrade? Cards have no way to upgrade? Upgrading things was always the biggest appeal for me. Now that's gone? All cards now being a basic level makes it tough to build up a better deck.
    Arena starts out with opponents pretty much equal strength to mine. Why even have different tiers in arena at all if their is no advantage in the lower tiers.
    No rewards in campaigns?
    I will give it a try for a while, but I am afraid this change might drive me away.

Comment

Minx - Remember that this is a hybrid mess. The game modes will change, so right now we are playing with a new game in an old structure and so it doesn't match well.

More notes:

23) There is no way to look at champion details in the collection page.

24) I thought champions were going to be cheaper since they don't come with a starter deck. But they still cost 1000 gold.

25) Language is frequently awkward. For instance:
      some effects cause loss of health while others deal damage. I assume these differ in whether they affect someone who is protected, but that could be made more explicit.
      you say things 'lose -x', which strictly speaking is a double negative so should result in a gain.
      Use of 'this' and 'its' can be confusing, even if it is grammatically correct. Using the spells name would help.
      Drakkina Sentinal says it can block 'allies'. Is this term used anywhere else?
      The Norns says 'peak at your opponent's spell', which isn't terribly clear.

26) Many compliments on the improved AI. That is a big improvement.
      Last edited by BAgate; 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BAgate View Post

3) it would be nice to have a filter that allows us to see any spell we have more than 2 of. Wold make breaking down stuff after buying packs much easier than searching things out 1 by 1.

4) Why are there no tool tips for keywords? If you don't know about the forum there is no way to know what things do.

10) Having to select a spellbook for each match is going to get REALLY old. Can't we just use the last one unless we change (like it was before)?

16) . . . Late game you can't get anything going if you are behind because the creature in the opposing slot gets a free attack.

18) All champions having the same power.health is boring and messes with early arena.
        I have to throw my full support behind these comments.

14) Reach doesn't seem to work. At least my Chimera doesn't damage adjacent minions.
        This one I have the answer to. Reach is only supposed to activate when the creature with reach hits a minion & not the opposing champ. Like the cases of using this & its instead of the spell name, the developers have pointed out that it's grammatically correct, so it will take time/lots of complaining for it to get fixed.

Comment

Yeah, that's what Talon said on Discord. My only objections are that 1) that is incredible limiting, 2) in a game with slots I'm not sure if it is grammatically correct, and 3) if everyone doesn't understand it then it doesn't matter if it is correct, it needs to be changed.

Comment

Peole complaining about no leveling and upgrades it's funny, I guess you guys never played competitive card games and just pve games? Because there is no way the game can have competitive pvp with the old system and I believe that's what this game is aiming for now, it's just not implemented yet. And again for competitive pvp, champions need to have all the same base stats, it's the cards that should change that.

I agree with many of the other points though and I also didn't like a lot of the changes to the cards abilities, I thought they would in general just be adapted to the new game and not completely overhauled.

Regarding the champions still costing 1k devs already stated it's a bug and they should cost 500 gold now, I'm waiting for it to be fixed to buy a new champion as I have enough gold for a 500 gold one :P

Comment

I don't particularly care about pvp. If I want to play a person I'll do it face to face. I play computer games to play the computer, so yes, I miss the upgrading and evolving. If this game goes mainly pvp I'll just find something else.

27) Brienne's 3rd blood ability effects both the champion and minions, so why does it target just the minions?

Comment

I've changed my mind about not liking the change to the cards abilities, I've built a Vangelis ressurrect deck with cards that were very different and is a lot of fun

Comment

1) maybe it's just me, but the display of text in the small cards is wonky. All second 'l's don't seem to be displayed.
                  Unity has an issue rendering text in scalable objects. Hopefully, they will continue to find ways to improve it, but right now what we have is the best we can do.

2) Forcing people to choose their third realm before they can even make a spellbook is very not cool.
                  When you ascend your Champion to God, you have the opportunity to choose a Third Realm. You don't need to do it right away, you can think about it. But if you create a new Spellbook, you are prompted at that time to choose the Realm. The way the spellbooks are saved in the database requires us to choose the third realm when creating a Spellbook.

3) it would be nice to have a filter tat allows us to see any spell we have more than 2 of. Wold make breaking down stuff after buying packs much easier than searching things out 1 by 1.
                  Why wouldn't you use Mass break? That takes all copies more than 2 and automatically breaks them.

I assume you are referring to the zoom in Collections (the zoom that is used to Craft and Break). We will add rollover tooltips here for keywords.

We will add the ability to disable animations (likely will be controlled in Advanced Settings).

His Dominate blood ability will be reduced to 3 Blood. We plan to monitor balance VERY closely. If we find a Champion too strong or weak, we will address. We really want to get real PvP launched first before we make dramatic changes... as the data will be totally different once that happens.

7) inability to look at more than one realm at a time in collections is a major drawback.
                  Sorry, but no plans to change this.

Great idea.

9) High Inquisitor says it summons a random spell, so how come I got a choice? And why does that spell get reshuffled into my deck?
                  High Inquisitor does not summon a spell, but rather he Conjures a spell on Summon. Basically, when comes into play, he Conjures a spell. And Conjure gives him a choice of 3. The spell should be added to your hand unless your hand is full.

Choosing your spellbook before battle is pretty standard for CCGs. We default to the last one you played, so it's just one more click. The reason why we implemented it this way is related to how spellbooks were completely refactored in the database.

We are optimizing the animation to make it look smoother. Still, not everyone will like it. And some will love it.

12) Neptune's before he attacks ability triggers even when he has summoning sickness. Is this intentional?
                  No. We will fix that.

13) Pillar of Flame sucks now. Why can't it target minions? And why does a chaos spell depend on the target's power?
                  In the next update, Pillar of Flames will be able to also target an enemy minion. However, it will still use the target's Power. This is a perfect counter for power ramp.

Reach is working as intended. I changed the description so Reach will now read as " When dealing attack damage to opposing minion, this minion also damages adjacent enemy minions."

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to Arena because in the next major update it will be completely redesigned.

16) I hate summoning sickness. Late game you can't get anything going if you are behind because the creature in the opposing slot gets a free attack. When you have to block this is a dumb idea.
                  We differ in opinions here. I HATED not having summoning sickness. To me, the game before was "Me beat you over head with big stick, you beat me over head with big stick." Now it feels much much more strategic. I have a chance to respond to your actions.

This will be eliminated when we change Arena.

There will be no early Arena when Arena is redesigned. And all Champions having the same Health and Power is the only way to go if we want fair play in PvP.

19) Lack of upgrade and evolve makes the game seem more boring. If I was coming to it for the first time I would definitely be less interested and likely to stick around.
                  Let's see how you feel when the game is feature complete. Right now, the game modes are not aligning with the design change.

20) Bloodlust extra attacks against multiple enemies with guard can get ridiculous. 5 attacks in one round? My Gaulish Chief cleared the board.
                  If we find it to be too strong, we will address. There are some ideas already floating around if that's the case.

21) Having the back of cards flash in front of you when the opponent gets a choice of something is unnecessary and annoying.
                  It's a tactile visual needed for when PvP is in play.

I totally disagree. I don't like games that rely heavily on RNG.

I'll keep playing and giving it a chance, but my first impression is this is a giant step backwards. The interface isn't as nice, the play isn't as interesting, the meta isn't as complex and it just isn't as fun.
                  I really appreciate the feedback. This new version won't be for everyone, but as the designer, I'm super excited about it and can't wait to build off of this. Lots of exciting thing planned.

Comment

Originally posted by minx View Post
                    So confused

I don't understand the gem thing at all.
                    Champions have no way to upgrade? Cards have no way to upgrade? Upgrading things was always the biggest appeal for me. Now that's gone? All cards now being a basic level makes it tough to build up a better deck.
                    Arena starts out with opponents pretty much equal strength to mine. Why even have different tiers in arena at all if their is no advantage in the lower tiers.
                    No rewards in campaigns?
                    I will give it a try for a while, but I am afraid this change might drive me away.
                    You may have missed some of the news posts, but this change was planned months ago. It's not nearly finished... but we wanted to get an early version of the game into your hands so you can start playing with the spells. As BAGate mentioned, it's kind of a hybrid mess right now as we redesigned the spells but not the game modes like campaign and arena. Those are up next.

Comment

Minx - Remember that this is a hybrid mess. The game modes will change, so right now we are playing with a new game in an old structure and so it doesn't match well.

More notes:

We will definitely add this.

QUOTE=BAgate;n115705]
                      24) I thought champions were going to be cheaper since they don't come with a starter deck. But they still cost 1000 gold.
                      [/QUOTE]

Yes, Champions will cost 500 Gold in the next update.

QUOTE=BAgate;n115705]
                      some effects cause loss of health while others deal damage. I assume these differ in whether they affect someone who is protected, but that could be made more explicit.
                      you say things 'lose -x', which strictly speaking is a double negative so should result in a gain.
                      Use of 'this' and 'its' can be confusing, even if it is grammatically correct. Using the spells name would help.
                      [/QUOTE]

We'll continue to work on cleaning this up.

QUOTE=BAgate;n115705]
                      26) Many compliments on the improved AI. That is a big improvement.[/QUOTE]
                      [/QUOTE]

Yay!!

Comment

I responded to a lot of these on Discord, but for anyone reading on the forums, here's some info. BAgate can add his rebuttals, too.

This will be improved.

We can consider this. I'm not keen on the mass break view as it shows me things that won't be mass broken.

The FAQ is being updated. I've done about half of it today. That will help. The craft zoom is pulled up in collections so that's why the keywords don't appear there. Maybe we could add rollover states on the card itself. Don't know how feasible it is, but it's worth asking

We have a ticket to turn off battle animations and want to add this functionality for other animations. So yes, at some point.

I disagree on this one as I find him still quite good. His third power will drop to 3 blood in the next patch.

I had to get used to this.It's fine now. Maybe see how you feel in a week or two?

That info is for the Zoom view.

It shouldn't be shuffled into your deck. It could be dispelled to your draw pile, but won't shuffle back in. If that's happening, it's a bug.

Once the new features are done, there will still be a need to select from among your spellbooks. The pre-battle screen sequence had to change because we're not organizing spellbooks around Champions anymore. It's awkward now but should improve. The pre-battle screen will remember your last choice however.

We quite like that one! I think it's not as smooth on mobile though. I believe it's getting tuned.

I need to ask. It might need to change language to at the start of the attack phase or it might need to summon differently, but that would take engine work.

This will change to target any enemy.

Not sure where this was left on Discord, but the target must be a minion as champions don't have adjacent units.

This would be a bug. If anyone sees this, please provide a screenshot and your User ID so we can investigate.

We tested quite a bit without it initially. Low cost minions were useless as they died instantly. The game was basically about minion swapping. I played a minion, you killed it, I killed yours, you killed mine. A lot of units were really OP, such as Prowler Ghoul, Commander, and Scorpion Charmer. Battles always felt like uphill climbs. With summoning sickness, the pace felt better, low cost minions were worth including in spellbooks, we could developer strategies in play, and there were more "heck yeah" moments than "whew, barely made it" moments. We do want feedback on the mana ramp. Also, there's no mana cap. Should that change?

When an arena match ends, the end game service looks for the next opponent. It wants to find a legit opponent in the arena with a migrated account, which means someone who has logged in since the upgrade and has spellbooks with 18 spells. If it doesn't find someone, it looks for a bot and adds 6 spells to it. I have found that it's worse at low tiers, but you're at the top, so we may still need to check something. I agree...it's annoying and sub-optimal.

Current arena will always have matching issues. New arena will greatly address this. But this should also help matching as new players/champions at least are on equal footing with those stats.

Again, BAgate already listened to this on Discord so apologies to him. We feel differently, as is obvious. My own opinion is that the big numbers felt like a cheat. I don't care for games that give an advantage this way or make me want to feel impressed by big numbers. I do appreciate that people liked the sense that they could make some progress and have a final outcome of a badass ally, but those types of numbers don't belong in a contemporary CCG in our opinion, and not in ours.

That's a nasty beefer you put in play! Maybe we need to consider that as Bloodlust: make one additional attack or add a once per turn qualification to it. I bumped this for Josh.

We can look at this. There needs to be some UI behavior to indicate what is happening. Right now, it obeys your battle speed settings.

This is a bigger point about a lot of the quirks that plagued the engine in the past. % based stuff did not yield as intuitive a rounding solution as one would think. Take a % based ability, round it up, have it target a unit with Tough and an odd (as in, not even) health value, give it reach and lethal, and have something resurrect in the mix: it made for really messy situations that the engine engineer would have to explain to the designers. That's not good game design. Also, %'s have become very unpopular in CCGs because people don't trust RNG. Even when the devs know it is solid and publish test results, people don't believe it. I snoop in other game's community, and of course our own Ironbound uses quite a lot of %, and man, people are not keen on % based stuff. btw, if you like this game, you should check out Ironbound. Cool tactical game, and yes, the RNG is solid.

Again speaking for myself, I find the game much more interesting now. I had played the old one for so long that I had lost interest. It was basically turning into a system where each realm would have some card with some combination of the available abilities. It was heading down a design dead-end. I find the new mechanics much more compelling and in step with what I experience in other turn based games like this one. And that's my main gaming genre for personal play. We just couldn't envision a contemporary audience for this genre that would flow to the old system. I know I'm biased, but it's what I believe. Hopefully, people will take time to adjust and find new nuances and interactions. Josh has lots more planned--he always has more ideas that we can accomplish, which is a good problem to have. We have lots of spell art already done and waiting. This release is a big step forward for the game, and we're committed to making it work.

Comment

8) As for the realm in spellbook thing, I was thinking that in the display of 18 cards on the right of collections you could color code them by realm so I could
                          see the realm breakdown at a glance. Right now every spell is simply white text on black.

9) When it comes to the High Inquisitor, then the wording needs to change, because it says a random spell, and choosing something isn't random. If it just gave you something that would be random.

10) Spellbooks - then you screwed up the design. Maybe this is only a problem for the migration, but the fact I had to choose a 3rd realm to play any champion is bad, especially when you say you should be able to postpone the choice.
                          - Also, STOP SAYING IT IS INDUSTRY STANDARD. You are not lemmings. Do what is good, not what is common. 1 extra click doesn't seem bad until
                          applied for each game in what you must hope is thousands of games played. You should be trying to reduce clicks, not increase them. But you
                          have been increasing them consistently and always justify it by saying that is what everyone else does.

13) Pillar of Flames - I still don't get it. Why did you take chaos (the offense realm) and make it depend on the other guy while making light (the peaceful one with brightsong) have righteous wrath that depends on your own power? This seems to go against flavor and just seems really off. Of course, chaos also needs something to boost your champion's power (maybe while causing damage to you).

14) this language needs some work. Because there are some shadow minions that deal damage to adjacent minions when they die and that applies to friends. So adjacent minions is context specific which could use clarification.

16) I really don't get why all the devs think the summoning sickness makes this more strategic. All it means is that once a big creature is out it cant be removed by other creatures since they will never get a chance to attack it. I find that LESS strategic. Now you are simply placing an extreme premium on abilities/sorceries for removal. That isn't strategic, that is limiting. You talk about having a chance to respond, but what chance? You cast a big creature, I cast a creature opposite it, I don't attack, you do attack and my creature dies without doing anything If you can't choose whether to block or not summoning sickness is a bad idea. In fact, it is by far the worst part of this update, and may be enough to drive me away (and this coming from a long time MtG player who has no problems with the idea of summoning sickness).

22) My bad on the % thing, as I clarified on discord I wasn't asking for % chance to happen back, I was referring to scaling effects like frenzy. Ex. Conditioning giving a % boost instead of a static +1. But I'll take your word for it being to crazy.
                          PS - I have significantly decreased my Ironbound play as I just don't like it very much anymore. I can tell who is going to win 99% of the time just from looking at the builds. That isn't fun. And don't talk to me about their RNG. I hold the record for the unluckiest match ever, 26 attacks by the arena cruelty crusader with 0 critical hits. So I will always feel it is broken.

21) As for the back of cards thing, you don't need a visual indicator of something that doesn't affect you. Show that a card entered his hand and that is fine. But the backs flashing in front of your face just slows things down and is annoying.

24) Champions - 500 is still too high when they don't come with cards and you will need to unlock other realms on the back end.
                          Last edited by BAgate; 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

More notes:

This will change with 3.0.48.

That's a mistake. If someone buys one, they should be contacted to get 500 gold back. This will be fixed for 3.0.47.

The +/- are gone with the next build. So are the parentheses; we will save those for variables. I find it much more awkward to write "Your Champion gains a shield equal to your Champion's power." It's grammatically incorrect and confusing. I did have to adapt to this, too, in other cases, so if there are specific spells that are confusing, let us know and we'll review them.

Josh fixed Drakkina, thanks.

26) Many compliments on the improved AI. That is a big improvement.
                            I will pass that on, thanks.

Comment

Spellbooks - then you screwed up the design. Maybe this is only a problem for the migration, but the fact I had to choose a 3rd realm to play any champion is bad, especially when you say you should be able to postpone the choice. Also, STOP SAYING IT IS INDUSTRY STANDARD. You are not lemmings. Do what is good, not what is common. 1 extra click doesn't seem bad until applied for each game in what you must hope is thousands of games played. You should be trying to reduce clicks, not increase them. But you have been increasing them consistently and always justify it by saying that is what everyone else does.
                              No, we're not. Sorry, but I find this a bit insulting. We have people with years of experience not just as gamers but as game designers making decisions. Of course we look at the games we play and see things we do and don't like. The range of games in this genre all have similarities because they belong to the same genre.

Comment

Working...
                              X