X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic & Empire 3.0.43 - Underworld: Darkness Falls event

Version 3.0.43 has been released. Here's what's new:

Underworld Event

Venture into the kingdom of the dead in the Underworld: Darkness Falls event. The Infernal Phantom will join your forces, but only if you defeat him in combat! Completing the event box nets you Apollyon.

Battle

The starting player is now randomized for Campaigns, Events, and Arenas.

Battlefield Changes

The battlefield has a revised layout. These changes were made to accommodate display of player nicknames in the arena, to improve the layout and presentation of the battlefield on 4:3 displays which is especially important for mobile, and to better utilize the available space.
    1. Draw piles are displayed. Mouseover or tap these for a count of spells in the draw pile.
    2. In arena play, each player’s nickname is displayed throughout the battle. Long usernames are truncated to show the first 19 characters followed by an ellipsis.
    3. The Mana and Divine Blood counters have been moved to flank the Champion.
    4. Blood Abilities have been moved to the right of the Champion and are now aligned next to it.
    5. The settings button has been scaled down. The surrender (resign) button is now located inside the settings.
    6. The autoplay button has been moved to the left.

Arena Improvements

We have made some quality of life improvements for the Arena. In time, this feature will be rebuilt from the ground up; these improvements provide better matching until that work is done.
    1. The game now keeps track of which Champion is being used in the Arena and which is being used in the Campaign and Events. To change your active Champion for Arena, use the Change Champion icon. To do so in the Campaign or an Event, use the Change Champion button on the pre-battle screen.
    2. The Arena now uses the Minion Death animation when you defeat an opponent.
    3. We added some logging around players being matched with their own champions. Please let us know if this problem persists. Reporting the date and approximate time (and time zone) can help us pinpoint what is happening.
    4. Players should encounter a greater variety of opponents in late arena tiers.
    5. Matchmaking has been improved to address low-level players encountering much more powerful opponents. Specifically, the range of player levels encountered are as below.
      Tier Min PL Max PL
      1 1 3
      2 1 5
      3 3 10
      4 5 20
      5 10 40
      6 15 60
      7 15 60
    6. We found that Arena players always encountered an opponent’s first spellbook, even if that player was actively using her 2nd or 3rd spellbook. Players should now encounter another player’s active spellbook.
    7. Players now see their own and their opponents’ nicknames, as shown in the preceding section.
    Other Improvements

1. The FAQ button has been added to the Event screen and to the Potions screen.
    2. The Helpshift FAQ was heavily revised to leverage Helpshift’s native Q&A format.
    3. The Windows and OSX game clients handle display settings better.
      1. Full-size and windowed settings are remembered between logins.
      2. Preferred resolution settings are remembered between logins.
      3. Keyboard shortcuts for both Windows and OSX function for going into and out of full-screen mode.
      4. The Windows and OSX clients should better handle multiple displays.
    4. The home screen Quest button has been replaced to match the style of other home main feature buttons.
    5. Guest accounts are not lost if someone signs into and then out of a registered account.
    6. Mobile users should have a better experience downloading and installing the game over shaky connections. The app will attempt to download assets up to five times; previously, this retry was failing. If some assets fail to load, the progress bar will no longer falsely report 100%.

Love the changes. Especially the part where we see the opponents name & don't always go first. I am sure people are going to love the arena matching change.

Any chance of us getting some keyboard commands for stuff like start/stop auto play & attack?

Comment

Nice update guys.

Comment

Why are arena tier encounters based on player level instead of strength of the champ+deck? With this system, a low level player could spend a lot of money to create powerful decks and make life miserable for other new players. I am still running into god champs in low arena tiers, Seems like your fix to arena matching making isn't much of a fix.

Comment

A better question might be "why do we even have player levels?"

Comment

Originally posted by krauseman View Post
            A better question might be "why do we even have player levels?"
            That's been asked. Generally, it's just a basic player retention thing. I"m not sure how effective it is for that purpose. We've discussed removing them or revising them to 100 levels, with more and better rewards. Right now, they're half-baked.

Comment

I like a player level progression indicator. Just uncap the player level and make it a linear progression beyond 60 so that a typical player gains a level about every 5 days. Hand out a small reward each level gained like a red+blue pot. Maybe a special reward each 10 levels.

Comment

I'd say get rid of player levels. Champion levels is good enough.

In other news, I just got 5 god Zeacons in an 8 opponent span in the 600-1100 tier. So either the arena matching fix isn't working, or player level is a really bad measure of opponent strength.

Comment

Well several players picked up Zeacon recently & we know the RNG is kind of streaky so that might cover it.

Comment

Yeah, but according to the chart above that tier isn't supposed to see decks from players with levels above 20 (I think), and players at that low level shouldn't have 1) fully leveled gold champions with 2) numerous fully upgraded epic minions. So either players are advancing far faster than I did, or the fix isn't doing what they thought it was doing.

Comment

I'm guessing the fix didn't work right. Though I have seen more variety in who I am fighting so it's not a total loss.

Comment

Player Level =/= Champion Level. A level 30 player can still have a god. If a match isn't found within that bracket, the game expands its search by 5 levels, then 10, then 10 more, etc. until it finds a match.

We could do something like impose a restriction on level 20-21 Champions appearing in tiers 1-4. The kicker right now is the number of active players, and of those players, many if not all are PL 60, with lots of gods, hence the matching issue noted above.

Comment

Why the focus on arena matches against active player decks? There are numerous decks of inactive users that could be used to improve the match making. The opponent deck is driven by the AI so it makes no difference if the deck is from an active or inactive player.

I would actually prefer the opponents in the arena to be randomly generated. For each arena tier, generate a random champ and deck of appropriate strength instead of using existing decks. This would be far more enjoyable than the monotony of playing against the same champs+decks over and over, week after week. Each opponent would present a new and interesting experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Firagon View Post
                            Why the focus on arena matches against active player decks? There are numerous decks of inactive users that could be used to improve the match making. The opponent deck is driven by the AI so it makes no difference if the deck is from an active or inactive player.

I would actually prefer the opponents in the arena to be randomly generated. For each arena tier, generate a random champ and deck of appropriate strength instead of using existing decks. This would be far more enjoyable than the monotony of playing against the same champs+decks over and over, week after week. Each opponent would present a new and interesting experience.
                            I think we already answered this question on Discord? It's inefficient to start querying the entire database of users and would produce long wait times. Once we're actively acquiring users, this will change and mitigate matching. So why spend time mitigating a solution for a problem that will mitigate itself once we're at launch actively acquiring users? And arena will get replaced in the future anyway. Wading into code that will be replaced should be done sparingly anyhow, especially with all the other considerations in place for this particular issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X