Magic and Empire on Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic and Empire on Ubuntu

After banging my head against a wall trying to get the browser version working in Ubuntu, I started poking around with PlayOnLinux.

Issues I had with the browser version - firefox gave me an error when looking at the upgrade screen that I could not come back from. Chrome would hang up and 'grey out' while on the login screen.

I've managed to get M&E running reasonably well with PlayOnLinux with a little trial and error. I'm using Wine 2.21, emulating Windows 8, with a virtual desktop of 1080x768. I had to use a virtual desktop as M&E would start in fullscreen mode, which I hate, and when I switched to windowed mode with a lower resolution, it retained the smaller resolution, but stretched everything to maintain the fullscreen size, throwing off my mouse position. This is the first time I've used Wine or PlayOnLinux without following someone else's guide, and it's been pretty simple. No need to restart my system because the game won't let me Alt-Tab, or other annoying BS.

Current issues - a lot of the mouseover or 'pop-up' info, like how much essence I'm going to get when I disenchant cards, will bring up a box with no text. It's just a box with no room for whatever the text should be. I'm okay with this, as I'm still getting the essence.

Looks like I can finally power down my windows laptop that has been solely for M&E for the past 6 months.

Right now, we don't have plans to release a Linux version.

Comment

I'm not sure if I can continue playing this game after the update. After installing some fonts, I can see some text, but most text boxes are blank white boxes. The text I can see is black, with no shading. The arena is a blank page. I can click on the arena page and go places, but it looks like just a big black box. I'm sure if I installed the right components, I could get working, but...

I don't know what you guys did different in this build, but my WINE can't handle it. I wish I could play, because a lot of the changes look solid.

Comment

Originally posted by krauseman View Post
        I don't know what you guys did different in this build, but my WINE can't handle it. I wish I could play, because a lot of the changes look solid.
        I second that ; the new build doesn't play on my WinXP 32 bits (again). There was this problem with one release and you fixed it, i just can't remember how.
        Make Jade Knight green !

Comment

XP is just super old. I mean, Microsoft doesn't support it. We haven't been making Linux builds. I will ask about this, but I can't make any promises. We upgraded to Unity 2018.2 which would entail a lot of under the hood improvements, so that must in some way have affected your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by David (Support) View Post
            We haven't been making Linux builds. I will ask about this, but I can't make any promises.
            Well, if I get it working in WINE, that's enough for me, and I'll happily share how I got there. Ironically, in my attempts to get this version working, the disappearing text I first talked about got fixed, so that's something?

Comment

Working...
            X